• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Pretends to be a Scout

All the cool kids are defecting to the scouts and since gyms are closed for the foreseeable future I've decided to focus back on running. I restarted C25k last week and if I stick to it I will finish right at the end of this challenge.

Goals are relatively simple:
Run - work my way through C25k at three runs a week

Strength - do a 20-30 minute strength workout. I had good luck last week finding upper body dumbbell workouts that were a perfect level of difficulty. Primary focus will be upper body but will probably do some core work since mine is not as strong as it should be

Food - Track my food and stay around 2k calories a day. My eating has been ridiculous and it needs to stop because I'm 30lbs heavier than I was 6 months ago and that is not acceptable

Plan - I do much better at this if I plan out my day the night before so I will work on doing that consistently

120edb1aa05ca7169ffde7988efd1107.jpg

• Like 7

Sunday

I went for a run (Week 1 Day 3). I did not have my food planned out and I didn't actually track it, but I'm happy with what I ate. Hubs made enchiladas (almost entirely by himself!) and mexican corn bread for lunch and I had 2 enchiladas and a reasonable piece of corn bread for lunch and 1.5 enchiladas and another reasonable piece of cornbread for dinner. Plus PB&J oatmeal for breakfast because it's me :) I'm actually branching out more on breakfast now, but that's the easiest. I have my plan ready to go for tomorrow at about 1900 calories and a upper body youtube workout

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

Plan - I do much better at this if I plan out my day the night before so I will work on doing that consistently

This is a really good idea - I've never been good at that but it sounds really useful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I feel this so hard.

Right?! I keep telling myself that I've done this before I can do it again, but it's not helping

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Welcome to the scouts Maigs.

Thanks Sloth

10 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Another defector to visit.  Lol. Good luck!

I figured it would be safe to hang out with the Scouts since so many Rangers come here already :) 

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

This is a really good idea - I've never been good at that but it sounds really useful.

So far I haven't been great at sticking with making the plans, but when I do make them I do a good job of doing the plans

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

I figured it would be safe to hang out with the Scouts

Definitely a safe place!

Happy to have you here!!

What makes the cornbread Mexican? I'm guessing maybe adding jalepeno. I tried a recipe a couple weeks ago that made something like a cornbread pancake (to go as a side dish with black beans). I didn't love it, so I'm curious if you have a better recipe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

What makes the cornbread Mexican? I'm guessing maybe adding jalepeno. I tried a recipe a couple weeks ago that made something like a cornbread pancake (to go as a side dish with black beans). I didn't love it, so I'm curious if you have a better recipe.

It has green chilis and cheese. The recipe we used is basically this. Went pretty well with enchiladas and surprisingly very well with corn chowder

• Like 1

Monday

Very nearly stuck to the plan today. I had a headache all day again so by the time I got home I wasn't feeling like doing much, but I convinced Hubs to help me make corn chowder according to the plan. What was not according to plan was when Hubs realized that the leftover cornbread would go great with the corn chowder. After eating and sitting in the dark for a bit I felt better so I did this workout video and toasted my shoulders a bit. I'm going to figure out my plan for tomorrow once I get off of here. I know it will include running, just need to figure out food

On 5/3/2020 at 9:34 PM, Maigs said:

Plus PB&J oatmeal for breakfast because it's me :) I'm actually branching out more on breakfast now, but that's the easiest.

Can I call four different flavors of instant oatmeal variety? :P Cause that’s all I have the patience for in the morning.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, delalana said:

Can I call four different flavors of instant oatmeal variety? :P Cause that’s all I have the patience for in the morning.

My variety is PB&J oatmeal, bagel, or eggs/hasbrown/veggie sausage patty with the last one happening the least since it's the least easy (even though Hubs makes the hashbrown for me since he does hashbrowns and sausage most mornings)

Tuesday

The headache was back with a vengeance. I finally got around to making a telehealth appointment and left work around 1pm. For those who were around last challenge, this is two and a half weeks of this damn thing. Well, they did an initial screening call to ask about symptoms and decided that they want me to come in instead. I'm trying to social distance but even the doctors won't let me. So I go in today for them to probably not be able to tell me anything because headaches can have so many invisible causes (I have good faith in doctors, I just know that headaches are hard to find the root problem of).

Food was according to plan and I went for a run after my headache calmed down a bit (Week 2 Day 1). Dinner was supposed to have half an avocado, but they weren't ripe so when I took it out MFP looked like this:

Screenshot_20200506-071352.png

And Hubs put out a post on FB asking for help naming the new car (Nissan Leaf) and whether or not he agrees with me the car will either be named Leif Erikson or Wattson :). As nerdy as we are we will not be naming him Voltron and definitely not Pot (Leaf) 🙄

• Like 1

Wednesday

It was an alright day. I was fairly productive at work and my headache was much milder than the last couple of days, of course, since I finally made a doctor appointment. I had my appointment over lunch and she took my blood pressure (normal) then poked and prodded around my neck and shoulders and determined that they are extremely tight and causing a tension headache. She prescribed me a muscle relaxer and prescription anti-inflammatory, and suggested trying a chiro, massage therapist, or PT. So I have an appointment with a chiro tomorrow. I have noticed that my neck has been stiff and I've been having minor shoulder mobility issues for a while now so hopefully the chiro or the massage therapist that works in his office can help

Then I went back to work where I was less productive because it was acting back up. Muddled through a couple more hours of "work" then picked up my prescriptions on the way home. I decided to wait and see what the chiro said before trying to lift weights. The headaches started before I started lifting again so I don't think that's the cause, but it may be aggravating it.

Food was not according to plan, I was feeling kinda whiny and ate those feelings. I will try to make a plan for tomorrow before bed, but I'm sleepy (might be the muscle relaxer, might be because it's my bedtime)

• Like 1

Really hope that helps. It would kind of make sense because you have been working so hard. Seems like at least a reasonable thing to try.

I like your car names 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 11:55 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Hoping the muscle relaxers help, and as a bonus that your sleep is great too.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:09 AM, Novaurora said:

Hopefully the muscle relaxers help! 

11 hours ago, Xena said:

Really hope that helps. It would kind of make sense because you have been working so hard. Seems like at least a reasonable thing to try.

Thanks. So far the headache seems better. Still there, but more in the background and easier to ignore. I feel like I'm sleeping a bit better, but my FItbit tells me it's not better quality

On 5/7/2020 at 7:09 AM, Novaurora said:

Also, I love your car names!!

11 hours ago, Xena said:

I like your car names 🙂

I think we've settled on Wattson

• Like 4

Thursday

I didn't end up making a plan for the day and it was reflecting in my eating (fail to plan, plan to fail and all). I had my first chiro appointment in the afternoon. The massage was nice, but I'm still undecided about the adjustments. Regardless I may try to find a massage therapist later to help generally loosen up my back and shoulders.  My next appointment is Saturday and he expects to do 4 or 5

When I got home I was just tired (maybe from the muscle relaxer I took before the chiro?) and wasn't feeling like doing much of anything. Hubs and I faffed about for a bit, and considered getting Taco Bell (his default) but ultimately decided that we needed to finish off the enchiladas from the other day so we had the last of them for dinner. Then I dragged myself out for a run (Week 2 Day 2) which went pretty well. I'm going to need to figure out something for Week 3. I have an old cheap Tomtom running watch that I can set basic intervals on, but week three has variable intervals that my watch can't handle. I don't have a good way to carry my phone when I run. I've tempted to buy a nicer running watch anyway since mine takes forever to connect to the gps and even longer to sync to my phone after a run, but I can't tell if it will do programs like I want (I'm looking at this Garmin one)

• Like 3

My GPS watch is sucky for timed intervals. If I really want a good stopwatch, I use my old timex ironman 🙂

1 hour ago, Xena said:

My GPS watch is sucky for timed intervals. If I really want a good stopwatch, I use my old timex ironman 🙂

Some more googling tells me that I can download a C25k app for the Garmin watch I'm looking at, so it will work for that at least. And Hub's gets a discount on Garmins from through his work so hopefully that will knock the price down a bit. Though I may have to look more at that timex ironman, it's quite a bit cheaper and probably does all I need it to do

• Like 2

If you can get a discount on a garmin, that sounds lovely.  With irregular intervals on the tomtom I have been programming sets at the lowest common denominator and keeping track of how many I need for each individual rep.  Ex. 18 x 1 minute reps for a 1/2/3 minute pyramid. Not ideal.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

If you can get a discount on a garmin, that sounds lovely.  With irregular intervals on the tomtom I have been programming sets at the lowest common denominator and keeping track of how many I need for each individual rep.  Ex. 18 x 1 minute reps for a 1/2/3 minute pyramid. Not ideal.

Ooh, though should at least get me through this next week with 90 second intervals and some notes written on my hand :) (it's 90s run, 90s walk, 3min run, 3min walk twice) Thanks!

• Like 1

Friday

Still no plan so food was decent but had too many snacks. I did manage to avoid going out for dinner despite feeling meh. I cobbled together a salad with a garden veggie patty and then a hashbrown/egg scramble thing. I still didn't do any lifts. I meant to ask the Chiro's opinion on them at my appointment today but forgot

Saturday

Had a glorious sleep in, then Hubs made a late breakfast of biscuits and gravy and I lazed about until it was time to go to my next chiro appointment. After that I worked for a couple of hours since I was right there anyway (my office literally shares a wall with his waiting room). I got home and did my run (Week 2 Day 3) which was good timing because it was starting to sprinkle for the last bit and when I checked the mail a few minutes after getting back it was fully raining. I ended up taking a nap at like 7pm but still feel like I could go to bed now and be fine. The grocery store near me had Ben & Jerry's for under $3 so I had grabbed a couple on my way home from work and picked a new favorite for Hubs (Phish Food) and got my standard go-to favorite (cookie dough) and ate half a pint after my nap

Tomorrow my main goal is to make a general plan for next week that I can refine each night for the following day. Hopefully start off the actual challenge strong on food

• Like 3

Sunday

I did not feel very well most of the morning, but honestly most of it was probably because I didn't move more than a couple hundred steps by early afternoon. I got up, moved to the couch, and lazed/napped until noonish. Once I got up and actually started moving I felt better, which is what usually happens. My body doesn't like not moving at all. I went grocery shopping and then took a 3ish mile walk and felt better. Still avoiding lifting for now. My kickboxing gym opened back up today so I may start trying to make it in there again, though it feels weird with COVID still definitely being a thing. But it would be nice to hit something :) 

I finished off the B&J and Hubs and I shared a sleeve of Thin Mints on top of three full meals. Surprise surprise my weight is at my "OH FUCK NO" level this morning (199lbs) so this shit has to stop. Now. There is no excuse for gaining 35lbs in 6 months (other than being pregnant, which I am not). This doesn't really change my challenge other than putting far more focus on actually sticking to the food goal