• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Pretends to be a Scout

Glad you are starting to feel better!

Gyms would still make me nervous, but I think you live in an area with pretty low infection rates (?).

I wanted to share why I'm specifically hesitant about gyms. Hope you don't mind my posting this (of course you should do whatever you are comfortable with). The tone of your post makes me think you are weighing pros and cons, so would be ok with it.

It's just a popular article (written by a credible scientist), but it goes through real examples of infection spreading among a curling team and at a choir practice. In the case of the choir, people were staying 6 feet apart and not hugging etc. The thought was that prolonged indoor exposure, especially if people are breathing more forcefully increases risk.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR37l55z1w5sGVLPM6wXXJiocj79G07h6mvEG6lMaJcDYSl5t2ezJ8iAWys

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xena said:

Glad you are starting to feel better!

Gyms would still make me nervous, but I think you live in an area with pretty low infection rates (?).

I wanted to share why I'm specifically hesitant about gyms. Hope you don't mind my posting this (of course you should do whatever you are comfortable with). The tone of your post makes me think you are weighing pros and cons, so would be ok with it.

Reveal hidden contents

It's just a popular article (written by a credible scientist), but it goes through real examples of infection spreading among a curling team and at a choir practice. In the case of the choir, people were staying 6 feet apart and not hugging etc. The thought was that prolonged indoor exposure, especially if people are breathing more forcefully increases risk.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR37l55z1w5sGVLPM6wXXJiocj79G07h6mvEG6lMaJcDYSl5t2ezJ8iAWys

Yeah, it makes me nervous too, but my state is relatively low infection rates and my county is quite low too. I'm in a weird state of mind where I know it's serious, but it's not that serious here (yet...). We just hit 100 deaths in the state this week and my county (second most populous) has had two. And something like 2/3rds of all cases here are tied to meat packing plants.

So I'm still on the fence about it. I know overall it would be smarter to wait, but I do think it would be good for my mental health to get back into it

• Like 1

Monday

Other than seeing just how bad my weight had gotten it was a pretty good day. My headache was back to being mild and work was good. I stuck to my food goal and when Hubs opened the other sleeve of Thin Mints I stuck to 3 cookies even though I had room for more. I used @Kestrel Grey's suggestion for setting intervals to do Week 3 Day 1 of C25k and it worked really well....except I miscalculated the number of intervals I needed by a factor of two and was very confused when it told me to run again when I thought I was done. I figured it out pretty quick and just got an extra 30 seconds or so of running which certainly isn't the worst thing that could happen :) 

A new vegan restaurant opened up in my town this week. If I continue to do well this week my reward will be to try that out. My dad is coming out this weekend to install a charging station for the Leaf and he's mostly vegan so I'll see if he's interested in giving it a try

Breakfast PB&J oatmeal

Snack - Granola Bar

Lunch - Leftover Mexican Quinoa

Dinner - Thai Quinoa Casserole

Dessert - 3 Thin Mints

Calories - 1750

• Like 2

All your thoughts about the gym make very good sense.

I'm super interested to hear about the new restaurant!

• Like 1

Tuesday

Not a particularly exciting day. I had a chiro appointment in the morning which was kinda nice because I slept funny and my neck was sore but felt better after he cracked it. I'm not really sure he's helping the headache much though so I'm going to try to find a massage therapist to see if they can help. And buy new pillows. I think mine may be part of the problem.  

I stuck to my food goal again and the water weight that made me freak out a bit Monday is gone now. I'm still 30ish pounds heavier than I was 6 months ago, but not toeing the line at 200 again. Hubs wanted to get Chinese (if the place was open yet) and I thought about agreeing but decided to stick to the plan and make chili. Hubs made cornbread to go with it, because he's decided that cornbread goes with everything "soupy". I was just had a smallish piece which filled me up enough that I didn't get the extra half serving of chili I had planned on. We finished off the Thin Mints which was just 4 cookies each so I was within goal. 

I did not work out. I'm still paranoid about doing upper body lifts so I'm just holding off on them for the time being. 

Breakfast - PB&J Oatmeal

Snack - granola bar

Lunch - Leftover Thai Quinoa Casserole

Dinner - Chili with cornbread

Dessert - 4 Thin Mints

Calories - 1700

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

That's exciting!

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

That is a super fancy watch!!  Also, great job sticking to your food goal!!!

Thanks! I'm excited to get it.

Wednesday

Another uneventful day. The headache came back for a bit, but not as bad as it was before. My neck was really stiff again this morning. I had planned on running today, but a) it was raining and b) I forgot that we restarted our Wednesday gaming group online and I didn't have time. I was feeling bleh enough when I got home that I didn't end up cooking my planned dinner but cobbled together a salad with a veggie burger patty and almonds and a granola bar. I may have a bite or two of ice cream before bed, but as long as I keep it to that I should stay well within my calorie goal.

Of the two races I had signed up for, one has been cancelled (registration will automatically transfer to next year) and the other has been moved to October 17 which is a week after my tentative Spartan Beast (half marathon) and might be a bit cold to be going in an out of creek beds. I think it has 3-4 creek crossings and a water slide into a mud pit (where my profile picture is from)

Breakfast - Bagel with and egg and veggie bacon

Snack - Granola bar

Lunch - Leftover Thai Quinoa Casserole

Dinner - Salad & granola bar

Dessert - some ice cream (?)

Calories - 1600 before any ice cream

On 5/13/2020 at 11:48 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

That's a worrisome race schedule. Are they offering deferrals if the new date doesn't work?

Yeah, they're a local place and they've always been good about letting you defer to the next year or transfer to another person for free. This is the very first mudrun I did back in 2013 (I think...) and the original one I signed up for was in April and I ended up not being able to make that one and they let me defer it until their next one in June or July (before they had a set annual race). Ended up being a good thing I couldn't make the first one because it was literally freezing; there was ice in the pit after the slide. I might not have been hooked if that had been my first OCR

• Like 2

Wednesday addendum:

On 5/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, Maigs said:

I may have a bite or two of ice cream before bed, but as long as I keep it to that I should stay well within my calorie goal.

On 5/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, Maigs said:

Calories - 1600 before any ice cream

I did end up having a few spoonfuls of ice cream. I estimate it was 1/4 of a serving so an additional 100cals for the day

Thursday

The headache was back to being mild and I slept well and work up feeling much less creaky that I had the last couple of days. Work was pretty good, though I did end up feeling a bit dizzy by the end of the day, I think it's another side effect of this ridiculous headache. I made an appointment for a deep tissue massage at a massage therapist for tomorrow morning. 

Food was good again. I think I'm finally past the water weight at 5.4lbs less than I was at my freak out Monday. And I got out for my run (Week 3 Day 2). I was afraid my watch wasn't going to make it since it gave me a low battery warning when I started but it lasted through the run. My new watch is supposed to be delivered today so I'm excited to figure that sucker out. I did overdress for the run. It had been chilly this week so I put on an under layer for sleeves and it was actually 70F so I definitely didn't need them, though it wasn't miserable. 

Breakfast - PB&J oatmeal

Snack - granola bar

Lunch - Leftover chili

Dinner - casserole

Dessert - small amount of ice cream

Calories - 1750

• Like 3

On 5/15/2020 at 10:25 AM, Maigs said:

I did overdress for the run.

It's happened to me a couple of times recently...it's that time of year! Great that you were able to tough it out anyway.

• Like 1

When overdressed just imagine rocky sweating it out in his grey sweats (and definitely hum the rocky theme) :)

• Like 3

So I went quiet there for a bit. My dad came out to install a car charger in my garage and things went to the wayside. Let's see if I can remember what I did...

Friday - I tried to have a plan, but then Boss's husband made us lunch and specifically make tofu tacos for me so I had three of those and some green bean casserole. It was a rest day so I didn't run but I also didn't do anything else. Oh, I had my last chiro appointment in the morning. My neck cracked less than before which means it's loosening up? I have no idea.

Saturday - Prepping for Dad to come out. I don't remember what I did for food. I had my "deep tissue massage" in the morning expected to feel beat up but it was more relaxing than anything. She did say at the end that she wasn't able to get my right shoulder to pop this time. That's the one that gives me problems, though I didn't tell her that so she seemed to be able to tell at least some of my issue. I'd planned on going for a run but didn't end up going. Dad showed up in the evening and brought us tons of snacks including authentic Turkish Delights from Turkey which were actually pretty good.

Sunday - Hung out with my dad and his new wife. It was okay, she seems nice enough, Dad is as crazy as ever. He and Hubs got the charger installed. I had planned on cooking, but Dad decided to order pizza. I ate a reasonable amount but also lots of the chocolate he brought. Still no running

Monday - I went to work while Dad hung out with Hubs and attempted to hit our outlet mall (the store they wanted was still closed). Again, I'd planned on cooking dinner, but they decided to get Thai food. I'd stress eaten at work from sleepiness (staying up too late talking) and just dealing with my dad and his particular brand of crazy, so I didn't eat much dinner and they gave me so much curry that it ended up being three meals. Still no running

Tuesday - Dad left first thing in the morning. I stress ate from sleepiness again. I did have the wherewithal to not go for one of the PINTS of ice cream Boss bought us for making it through the worst of tax season because I knew if I started I probably wouldn't stop. I did finally get my run in (Week 3 Day 3)

Wednesday - Food was somewhat better, but I need to get my head back in the right place and start planning and tracking my meals again. I finally got my new watch today and spent most of the evening trying to get it set up, which involved a support chat, but I think I have it now. Lunch was leftover curry and dinner was leftover pizza. Tomorrow I will cook!

• Like 3

A busy week, I am glad you have come out the other side in one piece (and with choosing not to eat the ice cream!).  The new watch should be fun to play with over your next few runs.

• Like 1

Thursday

I was on the verge of breakdowns/tantrums periodically through the day (ramblings in the spoiler) so I ate those feelings a bit. The actual food was reasonable but I had too many snacks. I haven't got myself back on to tracking my food yet so I have no idea what the calorie count was. I did get myself out for a run with my new watch last night and it seemed to work really well. When doing C25k on it it shows speed, not pace so I had to rework what my goal was (12-13 minute miles vs 4.5-5mph) but other than that it was good. I did Week 4 Day 1 which is a big jump in run time (9 minutes total in week 3 to 16 minutes in week 4) but doable. The last couple of minutes of the last run interval were a bit rough but I made it. If I could just get my eating under control I'd be really happy with my goals

Spoiler

I found a house a couple of days ago that had the potential to be the house (small acreage with trees, a huge garage, solar panels, and a well kept but not too big house, 20-30 minute commute for each of us) and we were supposed to go look at it today. The realtor messaged me yesterday morning and said there were already 7 offers on it, do I still want to go see it? I have no interest in getting into a bidding war so we decided to cancel the showing. I'm mildly devastated even though I know that with it being a 90+ year old house I might have hard passed on seeing it in person anyway. 

On top of that I started getting dizzy in the afternoons/evenings last week and even though I stopped taking the prescriptions the doc gave me for my headaches over the weekend (dizziness is a side effect for both) it's still happening and the headaches are coming back. So I called the doc and they prescribed me a different medication and are going to refer me to get an MRI

• Like 2

I had a couple of similar experiences house shopping a couple of years ago. And it seemed like half of the houses that were even maybes were sold before I could get there to look at them. The housing market is crazy these days, but if you found your perfect house once, you’ll find it again. :)

• Like 1

I wanted to backup and say kudos to your boss's husband for making tofu tacos. He seems to be upping his vegetarian game!

You've done a lot this week dealing with the stress of your dad's visit. I hope you start feeling better and that everything is ok (or easily treatable) with the MRI.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:43 PM, delalana said:

I had a couple of similar experiences house shopping a couple of years ago. And it seemed like half of the houses that were even maybes were sold before I could get there to look at them. The housing market is crazy these days, but if you found your perfect house once, you’ll find it again. :)

We bought our first house in 2008, so as the market was starting to crash and it had been for sale for over a year. Then we bought our current place in 2015 which was just before it took back off after the recession and we bought it from a friend without it ever even being listed for sale. So we're not used to dealing with hot housing markets. I don't think bidding wars are common in my area, but things lately have been crazy. A coworker sold her rental in the next city over a couple of weeks ago and had like 5 offers in the first couple of days and got a decent chunk over asking. It'll be interesting to see what this place ended up selling for.

Unfortunately at this point we're so picky and have some less-than-normal requirements that the perfect houses for us are very few and far between. Luckily we like our current place well enough and aren't in a hurry to move

On 5/24/2020 at 6:02 PM, Xena said:

I wanted to backup and say kudos to your boss's husband for making tofu tacos. He seems to be upping his vegetarian game!

He's a good guy. I do think he bought a ton of tofu (he's a bit of a prepper and buys stuff in bulk) and is just subbing it out for chicken in what ever he's making. Which is fine, just kinda funny since I never actually use tofu

Well, the quick recap of the holiday weekend is:

Food - decent but not great and not tracked

Running - ran Saturday and Monday (Week 4 Days 2 and 3). Saturday was 80F and humid and rough. I wasn't able to run the last 5 minute interval. Monday was 62F and drizzly and perfect and I successfully ran the full thing

Lifting - Still on hold

8 hours ago, Maigs said:

I do think he bought a ton of tofu (he's a bit of a prepper and buys stuff in bulk) and is just subbing it out for chicken in what ever he's making. Which is fine, just kinda funny since I never actually use tofu

So that's the problem!! I haven't been able to find tofu since quarantine! (not a big deal since I rarely use it)

...not quite true, I saw some two weeks ago, but it was "silken tofu." I never use that kind, so I took a pass.

I was talking to a vegetarian friend about it and shared that observation. She laughed because her husband had just bought some and she also had no idea what to do with it. The only thing either of us really knew to do with it was make soup. She did some research and found a lasagna recipe that supposedly came out ok.

That's my random semi-vegetarian book report for you 😉

-----------------

Oh yeah, running at 80F with humidity is brutal. That kind of weather is the reason I bought a heart rate monitor. I just do what I can and let the monitor prove to me that I've been working plenty hard enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xena said:

So that's the problem!! I haven't been able to find tofu since quarantine! (not a big deal since I rarely use it)

...not quite true, I saw some two weeks ago, but it was "silken tofu." I never use that kind, so I took a pass.

I was talking to a vegetarian friend about it and shared that observation. She laughed because her husband had just bought some and she also had no idea what to do with it. The only thing either of us really knew to do with it was make soup. She did some research and found a lasagna recipe that supposedly came out ok.

That's my random semi-vegetarian book report for you 😉

Lol. I've bought tofu.....twice I think. The first block was really firm and I actually liked, but the next block was "extra firm" but not-even-a-little-bit firm and I wasn't a fan. He's been buying "extra firm" and commented that it's his favorite tofu (apparently they occasionally make stuff like pad thai with tofu normally) but it's still softer than I'd prefer

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Oh yeah, running at 80F with humidity is brutal. That kind of weather is the reason I bought a heart rate monitor. I just do what I can and let the monitor prove to me that I've been working plenty hard enough.

Sadly in a couple more weeks 80F with high humidity is going to be the nicest weather I'm likely to get. We're regularly 90F+ all through the summer with plenty of humidity

• Like 1