• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Pretends to be a Scout

Tuesday

Back to work after the long weekend. I had intended to get back on track...but that did not happen. I've been generally frustrated lately (mostly with myself) and frustration is a tasty emotion, which makes me more frustrated, and you can see where that heads.

I did cook dinner and ate a smallish portion since I wasn't very hungry after eating all my frustrations. Then I did a short dumbbell workout just to start getting back in the habit. Hubs even did it with me which was amusing watching him flail around :)

Can't decide if I want do a 4th day of Week 4 of C25k since I didn't actually do all of day 2 or if I just want to move forward with Week 5

On 5/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, Maigs said:

Then I did a short dumbbell workout just to start getting back in the habit. Hubs even did it with me which was amusing watching him flail around :)

Can't decide if I want do a 4th day of Week 4 of C25k since I didn't actually do all of day 2 or if I just want to move forward with Week 5

It's a good ego boost to be reminded how competent you actually are when you stand next to someone who is less experienced.  Especially when it's your hubby. :)

If you felt good on your last run in Week 4, you are probably fine to move forward to Week 5. What did you decide?

• Like 2

Wednesday

Same ol' same ol'. Food is not under control and I did not exercise because it was (online) game night and I didn't have time. Was frustrated because the MRI place can't seem to get a hold of my insurance company to pre-authorize me, though when I called I seemed to get to the right place (after getting transferred a couple of times) and got what they said was a good direct number for them to call. Gave it to the MRI place but still haven't heard anything a day and a half later. 

Thursday

Had a dentist appointment and learned that the excessive sugar has not had a negative effect on my teeth. Still ate a lot of junki and due to bad planning, the one pan I needed to cook anything I had ingredients for was in the running dishwasher so we ended up getting Taco Bell for dinner. I did get out for a run though

On 5/28/2020 at 1:57 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

If you felt good on your last run in Week 4, you are probably fine to move forward to Week 5. What did you decide?

I ended up moving on to Week 5. It actually seemed easier because there were longer walking breaks (run 5, walk 3 x 3). I was able to finish the run even though it was 80F (though not nearly as humid as Saturday's run)

I also found out yesterday that Spartan is doing virtual races that look totally doable*, and you can even get medals for them. I'm thinking of doing a virtual Trifecta this year since I may not be able to get my actual Trifecta in. I did get an email last week (or the one before...) saying that Trifecta passes are good through 2021, though you still have to do all three races in the same calendar year to count as a Trifecta. The races I was eyeballing are in September and October, so it's still possible to get it in this year, but at least I have the option to push it to next year of things haven't improved

*I did have to laugh at the alternative forms of cardio and their adjustments. You can either run a 5k, or bear crawl for a MILE!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Does anyone else get down a Youtube covers rabbit hole? No? Just me? Today's rabbit hole brought me to this:

(*edited to put in the video I actually meant to)

Which led further into Violet Orlandi's covers. Apparently I don't listen to new music, I just keep listening to the same stuff I've been listening to for 10-20 years with different singers :D 

• Like 2

OMG Bear Crawl a Mile??

I could imagine that being a cumulative goal for a whole 5-week challenge, but hell, no, not all at once.

Unless you are an actual bear, in which case, perfectly reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Xena said:

OMG Bear Crawl a Mile??

I could imagine that being a cumulative goal for a whole 5-week challenge, but hell, no, not all at once.

And that's just for the Sprint (5k). The Beast is about 4.3 miles :D 

• Wow 1

Friday

I barely remember Friday. Food was iffy and I did not exercise.

Saturday

Food was still iffy but I decided that it was my last day of being iffy. I'm getting back on track because this is ridiculous. None of my non-stretchy pants fit me, even the ones that were falling off me last fall. I'm I'm sure all the sugar is wreaking havoc on my mental state (along with *gestures vaguely*). I did make it out for a run, Week 5 Day 2 and did well, if slow. I did some badly needed stretching (why don't I keep this up even though my hip gets painful when I don't?) and a few pushups. I also picked a dumbbell program to do because I realize that having a set plan made my someone other than me makes it infinitely more likely that I'll actually stick with it. So starting today I'm doing Ironborn by Darebee. I also finished off the ice cream and chocolates in the house, because that's what you do when you're about to go on a diet :P

As for the running, I'm getting semi-close to the end of C25k and need a plan for going forwards. Any suggestions for a 3x/week running plan for someone who is slow and barely powered to C25k? I know I should have a mix of runs to improve on speed and endurance but what should that look like?

• Like 2

As a beginner your pathway to improving is

1. Run lots

2. Run better

3. Run long

Amalgamating all the running plans I've encountered, first increase the frequency and length of your runs until you are comfortable running 30 to 60 minutes at an easy pace 3-5 times a week.  Ex. Add 5 minutes per week to each run until you are at 3x60 min. Then add a fourth day at 30 minutes. Then start lengthening one run until it is 90 to 120 minutes. These can all be at an easy pace for now.

For better running, include strides near the end of your run a couple times a week.  You slowly speed up to 95% of your fastest run, hold it for about 5 seconds, then slowly drop back to easy for a couple minutes. Don't sprint all out or your form breaks down instead of improving. Repeat 4 or 5 times.  These are also called pickups, and the exact descriptions vary, but they are all essentially the same and teach your body good running form and make you faster. For added fun, do them running up a hill.

You don't need to worry about tempo or intervals or anything until you've built a good base after a few months.

Just my two bits from the reading I've done.  That said, just because you don't need fancy run workouts doesn't mean they aren't fun.  If you find a plan that interests you, go for it!  It will make you faster short term even if the progress may not be sustainable without building a base first.

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts @Kestrel Grey! There is a continuation of the C25k program to go to a 10k. I may do that, though it focuses on increasing time/distance, not speed. Something I already knew, but my new Garmin is proving even more; it's my ability to breathe that's holding me back. My legs are basically fine and my heart rate stays relatively low, but I end each run gasping for air despite putting all of my focus on trying to keep it under control. I attempted Week 5 Day 3 today, which is where they weirdly jump from Run 8, Walk 5, Run 8 to just straight run 20 minutes with no walking. I dug deep and ran all but 2.5 minutes of it*, then needed the entire 5 minute cool down plus another 5ish minutes of walking to get back to breathing normally, but here's some stats from Garmin about the run:

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200601-215546~2.png

Screenshot_20200601-215524.png

Apparently my max heart rate was 165 and I got ZERO anaerobic benefit. But I really don't think I could have run any more (or any faster) than I did.

*And I'm calling that an unqualified win. That is a dumb jump in their program and I have no problem altering it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maigs said:

Apparently my max heart rate was 165 and I got ZERO anaerobic benefit. But I really don't think I could have run any more (or any faster) than I did.

You're doing great!  Anaerobic zone is for sprinting, which I don't think is in the C25K program.  You can't run in the anaerobic zone for more than a couple minutes before the lactate build up makes you stop.

Just remember it is always okay to run slower!  If you are out of breath then you are probably running too fast.

The HR zones on these watches are set to a default.  You can usually change them in the settings.  It sounds like your heart rate is lower than this watch is calibrated for since running until you can't catch your breath is definitely harder than easy.  You are getting a solid workout.

• Like 2

Regarding your program, if you don't want to run longer distances, I wouldn't worry about building to the 10k. I don't know all that much about the C25K program, but would it be worth just repeating the last couple weeks? And maybe adding in some strides (as Kestrel Grey suggested).

• Like 1

I think my primary focus once I finish C25k will be to get faster, but I also want to be able to go further for the Spartans and a trail half marathon I've been eyeing.

I found this program for increasing speed that looks promising. It's more frequent runs than I was wanting (5-6 days a week), but it's a specific plan, personalized to my speed, and has long (for me) runs and speed work

Monday

Was my long run I talked about earlier. Food was still a mess but I also got in a dumbbell workout

Tuesday

Finally got my food back to a reasonable level. I bribed myself with a small dumbbell stand and easily avoided the snacks at work, including a huge bowl of peanut butter cups. It was a rest day but I did a leg workout....which has murdered me. I'm in the "wince when I sit on the toilet" stage of DOMS.

Wednesday

Stayed home since we're doing an all day CE course that was supposed to be at the local conference center and got turned into a webcast. Their way of making sure people were paying attention was to put words at the bottom of the screen every 15ish minutes and at the end of the day you had to turn in a list. Which meant I couldn't do much but sit down in front of my computer for 8 hours straight. I had 1400 steps by 5pm and my legs and glutes are so locked up that any movement is painful. I decided to skip today's run in favor of a 2ish mile walk. Food was good, though partially because I've bribed myself with a run belt if I finish out the week on track and partially because I was too apathetic by the end of the day to care about food so I finished off a small thing of leftovers and couldn't be arsed to find anything else.

• Like 3

The program does look good, but I wonder if it will be a good match. Only because you suggest that you don't want to run so many days. How many days per week would you want to run? I think you could get a very reasonable program with 4 days a week, especially because you also do other exercise.

Not trying to dissuade* you at all. If you want to try it, go for it!

* it took me about 4 tries to spell that. I didn't even realize that I didn't know how to spell dissuade, but my first attempts were so bad that spell check couldn't even help me.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:54 PM, Xena said:

The program does look good, but I wonder if it will be a good match. Only because you suggest that you don't want to run so many days. How many days per week would you want to run? I think you could get a very reasonable program with 4 days a week, especially because you also do other exercise.

Not trying to dissuade* you at all. If you want to try it, go for it!

* it took me about 4 tries to spell that. I didn't even realize that I didn't know how to spell dissuade, but my first attempts were so bad that spell check couldn't even help me.

That's my worry too, I was hoping for 3-4 days a week. I'm still considering it since running is my second highest priority (after eating well), or I may restart C25k at a faster speed

I'm thinking you could use that program as a starting point, but look at it critically and scale it down a bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xena said:

I'm thinking you could use that program as a starting point, but look at it critically and scale it down a bit.

That's a possibility. There's multiple long runs each week plus an optional long run most Thursdays so I could probably cut it down to 3-4 days a week while still getting in all the parts I want

• Like 2

Catch-up

Thursday

Another day at home watching the webinar. I was smarter this time and took a walk over the lunch break and did an ab workout during one of the presenters. In the afternoon my Boss messaged me that the AC went out in the building so she decided to start our closed on Fridays this week!

It was miserably hot out, but I made an attempt at Week 6 Day 1 of C25k. I was still a bit sore and it was ~90F out so it did not go great. I'm okay with that, it was attempting things are hard mode. Food was good for the day.

Friday

Even though the office was technically closed I went in for a bit to catch up on somethings since I'd been out the last two days. The AC ended up getting fixed late Thursday night. After work I went for a ridiculously hot walk. Overall calories for the day were good, but we did get Taco Bell for dinner since my onions had gone bad and I apparently can't cook without them.

Saturday

I got out kinda early in the morning and re-tried Week 6 Day 1 and nailed it! It was already 80F at 9am and quite muggy, but better than the 95F it would have been if I'd waited much longer. Other than that it was a very lazy day of watching Black Mirror and Red Sparrow. Food was good-ish, but calories were actually low. I had a granola bar before the run, made a pot pie type recipe for lunch, then was too hot and lazy to cook dinner so I had a few bites of Hub's left over bean burritos and some pistacios

• Like 3

Hmmm....got off tracking here for a bit....again. The short version is that food was okay but exercising mostly didn't happen for various reasons.

We has some storms roll in Tuesday that were kinda nasty. Wednesday we went and looked at a house which I really liked, but realistically would be a money pit so we're passing on it unless by some miracle it doesn't sell (remember the last place that had 7 offers within a week?) and they come down by $50k. I don't remember my excuse for not doing anything Thursday, maybe because it got super hot again. But Friday was our 16th wedding anniversary. We went to a weird forest in the middle of the next city over and did some hiking, then hit a vegan hot dog place I'd been wanting to try forever, and bought new shoes, because that's what you do on your anniversary right? :)

Saturday (yesterday) I FINALLY made it back to my gym after 3.5 months off. It was just me and two trainers for almost the entire time which was nice because my time off really showed. On top of it my glutes were already worn down from hiking the day before and of course there were squats and lunges (I STILL write that as lunches the first time every.single.time) so my lower half was just done.

Today I went for a run first thing in the morning before it got unbearably hot. I decided to start a modified version of the Run Faster plan I posted earlier. I did a mile run (well, almost, I had to walk for about 1/10th of a mile), then did 5x30 "sprints". The goal per the plan was to do them at about 11min/mile pace but that seemed too slow so I just ran hard (but not quite full out sprint) and it came out to a 9.5-10ishmin/mile pace. And then I've sat on the couch most of the day because my house is pretty much clean and it's too hot out to do much else at this point

• Like 2

Challenge Wrap-up

What were my goals exactly?

On 5/3/2020 at 8:39 PM, Maigs said:

Goals are relatively simple:
Run - work my way through C25k at three runs a week

Strength - do a 20-30 minute strength workout. I had good luck last week finding upper body dumbbell workouts that were a perfect level of difficulty. Primary focus will be upper body but will probably do some core work since mine is not as strong as it should be

Food - Track my food and stay around 2k calories a day. My eating has been ridiculous and it needs to stop because I'm 30lbs heavier than I was 6 months ago and that is not acceptable

Plan - I do much better at this if I plan out my day the night before so I will work on doing that consistently

Running went okay. I didn't always make three days a week, especially in the last week but it never fully fell to the side. Strength training however, did fall off. I tried to start a Darebee workout that would work well with running but I did not stick to it very well. Since running was a more important goal to me at this point I'm okay with that. Food was pretty hit or miss. I had some good days and some not good days. I don't think I had any truly terrible days and my weight is down a few pounds from the "oh shit!" number I saw in week zero. Planning was not the greatest either, which is obvious since the food all over the place

Next challenge will be pretty similar, though kickboxing will work it's way back in now that I've gotten myself back in the gym

• Like 1

It sounds like it has been a decent few weeks.  Strength will be easier to stick with next challenge with your gym open again, and you made good progress on your running.

5 hours ago, Maigs said:

Today I went for a run first thing in the morning before it got unbearably hot. I decided to start a modified version of the Run Faster plan I posted earlier. I did a mile run (well, almost, I had to walk for about 1/10th of a mile), then did 5x30 "sprints". The goal per the plan was to do them at about 11min/mile pace but that seemed too slow so I just ran hard (but not quite full out sprint) and it came out to a 9.5-10ishmin/mile pace.

That's a good way to do it imho.  Just moderate by feel to the speed you can hold well for all the sets.