• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Man you are killing it! How are you feeling? 
 

i’d offer you my wine, but I drank it! 😂

 

Thanks! I could use a short break from the wine. I drank a whole box of Bourbon Barrel aged Cabarnet Sauvignon in less than a week XD

 

I'm tired, but not sore, fatigued, burned out or anything above and beyond regular tired. I feel like I don't have huge energy reserves to sprint a mile, but I have enough to keep going. Which is where I need to be, and good considering I'm probably taking in an average of 2100 calories/day (from food), which by itself puts me in a deficit, and I've burned more than a single day's worth of calories on the hamster wheel.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cuz that's what you do when you're cooped up in a cage with some scientific gadgets, you develop plots to take over the world -- Brain. Of course, there's always that other part of you that worries th

@oromendur ... my MIO Slice fitness tracker arrived today!   How to setup your MIO Slice: Remove packaging -- note the sticker that says "PAI app no longer supported, please download

Sorry to disappoint, but I did not. In the 15 or so minutes that it took to drive home from work after that post, the rage subsided and I was just done.   Two years at this job, the last two

 

I'll stay at 2700 calories burned on the hamster wheel for the week. I was very tired when I got home last night. I'm planning to rest more tonight... before I go shopping at 7 am... Not only am I out of wine, but I'm nearly out of vegetables.

 

I'm tired, but my mood is good. I'm down 5 lbs. I've got plans for the weekend to clean and organize and finish up this week's project for the EE class. Then on Mother's Day my Mom is having us over for lasagna... which is mostly a problem for this diet, but it's only one meal, then back on the wagon.

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

I added a fifth goal... I'm building a lab.

YES! World domination needs a proper lair to plan from. A LAB IS A PERFECT LAIR! On your nice clean workspace, make sure you have a spot for your SECRET PLANS that are laying out in the open.

 

Have you started preparing your monologue? You're going to have to monologue when some secret agent or superhero comes to foil your plots. 

 

"Sooo you've wandered into my trap! Let me tell you all about what's going on here....."

 

You totally got this

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I had to start with...

 

8aefd6cc5f82985ba39c244bcbdcd3a6cac17505

 

This is where I wound up...

 

d3cf432d56b6efd3aacce2544aca9c62bf7f8698

 

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Meth?

 

Does this look like a meth lab?

 

d649d2c5a46c9581909693e87258a5e2901d97fb

 

10 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

 

Two words, "Plausible deniability"

 

You shoulda got a JD instead of an MBA... I might need a lawyer.

 

30's, grad school dropout, lives alone, appears to be running some type of lab out of his apartment...

 

I'm sure that matches a couple of FBI or DHS profiles.

 

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

YES! World domination needs a proper lair to plan from. A LAB IS A PERFECT LAIR! On your nice clean workspace, make sure you have a spot for your SECRET PLANS that are laying out in the open.

 

Have you started preparing your monologue? You're going to have to monologue when some secret agent or superhero comes to foil your plots. 

 

"Sooo you've wandered into my trap! Let me tell you all about what's going on here....."

 

You totally got this

 

 

 

My 48" x 36" whiteboard arrives on Wednesday... I can draw my plans on that.

 

I forgot about the monologue, but I might be able to throw something together from the key points in my manifesto.

 

=======================================

 

So lots of progress on the lab. Next weekend I'll have to hang up my whiteboard and organize all the electronics components I have.

 

Now I am tired. I am going to work on my project until I get sick of that, then put some time in on the wheel.

 

The new diet and tracking is still on point.

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

You shoulda got a JD instead of an MBA... I might need a lawyer.

 

30's, grad school dropout, lives alone, appears to be running some type of lab out of his apartment...

 

I'm sure that matches a couple of FBI or DHS profiles.

 

You joke, but I once called the Secret Service about a Spam post on here advertising counterfeit services before I deleted it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 1:43 AM, Chris Tarly said:

]Also, the diet gives different recommendations based on racial ancestry... I think my diet is racist.

 

However, it does outline four different altogether, generally reasonably balanced diets: one that's nearly paleo, one that's basically Mediterranean, and the other two are different flavors of more balanced variety. Mine is the Mediterranean-ey one and I'll stick with it for now.

 

In other news, for Type A's:

Ostrich and Squab are acceptable,

but

moose, and squirrel are to be avoided...

 


I mean, we do have genetically different abilities to digest lactose and break down starch that are somewhat correlated with our ancestry. But I never heard of any ethnically variable moose digesting genes. Although I assume that if I personally identify as a viking warrior, this will enhance my digestion of mead and roasted giant oxen. I like this what's-your-type diet already! 


Have you ever had ostrich? I have only had emu. It was basically so rare it was still quivering from the slaughter. Not my thing. There were also wallaby ribs, kangaroo steak, and crocodile. I felt bad about the wallaby. They're so cute it seems wrong to eat them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You joke, but I once called the Secret Service about a Spam post on here advertising counterfeit services before I deleted it. 

 

I'll factor this in when I consider posting pics of my future projects.

 

11 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

 

I refuse to answer this, since I don't want to imply in writing that I know what a meth lab looks like.

 

That's sensible. Also, I'll take this moment to declare that I am not running a meth lab, nor am I building any sort of robots for the purpose of overthrowing any governments or institutions with the intent of obtaining world domination-- despite what some might infer from my challenge title.

 

12 minutes ago, Harriet said:


I mean, we do have genetically different abilities to digest lactose and break down starch that are somewhat correlated with our ancestry. But I never heard of any ethnically variable moose digesting genes. Although I assume that if I personally identify as a viking warrior, this will enhance my digestion of mead and roasted giant oxen. I like this what's-your-type diet already! 


Have you ever had ostrich? I have only had emu. It was basically so rare it was still quivering from the slaughter. Not my thing. There were also wallaby ribs, kangaroo steak, and crocodile. I felt bad about the wallaby. They're so cute it seems wrong to eat them.

 

I have had ostrich, once or twice, but the only time I specifically remember it was in the form of a "slim jim" type of snack... I've had aligator, once in "slim jim" form, once deep fried in a Cajun restaurant. I love emu steaks.

 

Ostrich is on the list of acceptable foods... new bucket list item: Eat an entire ostrich egg.

 

The basic logic behind this diet is:

Your immune systems makes antibodies against the antigens of other blood types.

Some foods contain the same antigens of blood types -- and thus cause immune reactions against them.

Avoid the foods that contain antigens of blood types other than your own.

Other foods are especially beneficial for your blood type for... reasons.

 

The author also claims that blood type is correlated, and in some ways causal, with other features of digestion, physiology and to some extent exercise, lifestyle, endocrine function etc.

They also acknowledge that some factors like lactose intolerance, certain food allergies, or celiac... are independent of blood type.

 

At the moment, I am taking their word for it on the blood antigen/food antigen relationship, though I don't buy into the claims about supplements and such other than basic vitamins and minerals that tend to be lacking in the foods that I am eating regularly.

 

But that's why there are so many complications and odd, specific details... though I'm skeptical that there is much research on the antigens of moose meat.

 

Generally, I would describe the four blood type diets as follows:

Type O: Paleo-ish -- emphasize lean meats, fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, avoid dairy, grains, and legumes

Type A: Mediterranean -- emphasize plant based foods, grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables, and healthy oils, limited lean meats, poultry, fish, and dairy, avoid red meat and saturated fat

Type B: Omnivore -- emphasize red meat and dairy and the usual balance of everything else, but chicken is bad, as are certain grains like corn.

Type AB: Mediterranean but with a bit more dairy and meat.

 

B and AB are a little harder to characterize against the usual diets. They are just balanced, but with odd benefits and restrictions.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

EE class and Lab Construction: Last night and tonight I spent some time in the lab. Last night I got the software set up for my prototyping platform, but it was frustrating because I had to dig around to find some drivers. Apparently the company that built this thing hasn't updated a lot of their help resources since Windows 10 came out... tangent: did I mention I hate Windows... That was frustrating, but now I know I can build a program and write it to the chip and it works. Unfortunately I'm not quite there with connecting the board to breadboard and other devices. I soldered some header pins to the chip, but the soldering was difficult (I haven't done it in quite a while). I started to get the hang of it after a while, but I'm betting I've got some cold joints and poor contacts. I got my Nscope (a basic oscilloscope) set up and running so I can look at voltage outputs and basic waveforms, but I need to find a good program to experiment with pin outputs from the board more before I know I've got good solder joints and connections and can hook every thing up.

 

giphy.gif

 

tl;dr -- I didn't finish my project, but I got a bunch of things set up and learned quite a bit about the platform(s) I'm using.

 

I'm going to start on weeks 3 and 4 ahead of finishing 2, because they are basically just information dumps (watch the videos, read the chapters, take the quizzes). I can more easily squeeze that in during the work week. I'd work on these things a bit more tonight, but I worked hard on other things this weekend and am tired. After I post this, I'm playing video games and/or Netflixing.

 

Diet stuff: I went to Mom's for Mother's Day dinner... she still insists on cooking on M's day. Originally, the plan was lasagna, but that was changed to beef brisket. The side dishes were buttered carrots, possibly buttered asparagus, and cole slaw, and rolls. Either way, for my diet it was going to be damage control. I had only one piece of brisket, and a spoonful of eat of the veggies and one roll and that was it... until dessert: a slice of poundcake topped with fruit and a spoonful of cream. Not too bad calorie-wise, but there were a bunch of foods/ingredients on the avoid list: beef brisket, butter, cabbage, mayonnaise, mandarin oranges, and cream.

 

All this was tracked. I still have to enter my weights from yesterday and today. The spreadsheet I use is on the Linux half (aka good half) of my computer. I'll have to add the weights and things to the good doc or something so I can more easily access it when I have Windows stuff running.

 

Besides that I got to see my nephew again and racist grandpa was on good behavior. I think we all needed a little family time together with all the covid isolation/stress so we got along well.

 

Hamster wheel: I didn't get on it at all this weekend, and at this point, I won't be. I did a lot. I'm comfortable with my level of activity for the weekend. I cleaned all day yesterday, did some cooking. I'm quite tired and a little sore from moving around boxes of books and shit. I'm  going to aim for 2000+ calories burned this week. Going for a full 3500 is too much. Even the 2700 I did last week was a bit much. So I'll push for 2000 and let it be... which should be manageable with about 3.5-4 hours on.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

All this was tracked. I still have to enter my weights from yesterday and today. The spreadsheet I use is on the Linux half (aka good half) of my computer. I'll have to add the weights and things to the good doc or something so I can more easily access it when I have Windows stuff running.

 

When I was dual booting I set up the partition for all my personal files in a way that made it accessible from both operating systems. That way it didn't matter if I was in Windows or Linux, the papers I was writing for school could always be access and worked on without having to reboot into the other one. It made life a lot easier, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to set that up after the fact. I created it when I created the dual boot. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

Type A: Mediterranean -- emphasize plant based foods, grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables, and healthy oils, limited lean meats, poultry, fish, and dairy, avoid red meat and saturated fat

Right there was where I noped out of that system when someone explained it to me.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

 

When I was dual booting I set up the partition for all my personal files in a way that made it accessible from both operating systems. That way it didn't matter if I was in Windows or Linux, the papers I was writing for school could always be access and worked on without having to reboot into the other one. It made life a lot easier, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to set that up after the fact. I created it when I created the dual boot. 

 

I remember being able to do this at some point, but I think it was a previous setup. I think on this one I either forgot or did it wrong. But, I've also got a giant external hard drive too, so that provides plenty of work around.

 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Right there was where I noped out of that system when someone explained it to me.

 

Thankfully, avoidance isn't banishment. I will eat a bacon wrapped steak again, just not for a while.

 

Also, I can't deny that after yesterday's meal -- brisket etc. -- I was pretty tired and foggy, but I may have been a tad drained from family time.

 

================

 

Also, I wound up hopping on the wheel for a bit late last night. I just did a pretty casual hour. I broke a sweat and burned about 520 calories.

 

Weight loss is slowing, but not stopping. I'm at 266.8 this morning.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Diet stuff: A couple articles that summarize the blood type diet and the medical science that supports and or refutes it mechanisms and efficacy:

 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/the-blood-type-diet-review

https://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/blood-type-diet

 

If you're curious. Basically, it's inconclusive and everybody usually does better on a Type A diet, regardless of what their actual blood type is.

 

Addit:

This one doesn't mince words:

 https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/weight-loss-you-asked/what-blood-type-diet

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 10:52 PM, Chris Tarly said:

The basic logic behind this diet is:

Your immune systems makes antibodies against the antigens of other blood types.

Some foods contain the same antigens of blood types -- and thus cause immune reactions against them.

Avoid the foods that contain antigens of blood types other than your own.

Other foods are especially beneficial for your blood type for... reasons.

 

The author also claims that blood type is correlated, and in some ways causal, with other features of digestion, physiology and to some extent exercise, lifestyle, endocrine function etc.

 

Interesting, but I'm not super convinced because I'm pretty sure your stomach would destroy antigens with acid. Otherwise we'd be in trouble, because we're eating other species. I doubt we're more immuno-compatible with fish and poultry than with humans of a different blood type. Just don't... you know... inject rabbit blood. 

I suppose the correlation with other features is possible... 

 

On 5/10/2020 at 10:52 PM, Chris Tarly said:

 

Generally, I would describe the four blood type diets as follows:

Type O: Paleo-ish -- emphasize lean meats, fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, avoid dairy, grains, and legumes

 

NO

 

Quote

Type A: Mediterranean -- emphasize plant based foods, grains and legumes, fruits and vegetables, and healthy oils, limited lean meats, poultry, fish, and dairy, avoid red meat and saturated fat

 

NOPE

 

Quote

Type AB: Mediterranean but with a bit more dairy and meat.

 

Maybe...

 

Quote

Type B: Omnivore -- emphasize red meat and dairy and the usual balance of everything else, but chicken is bad, as are certain grains like corn.


Looking good! I think we've found my blood type :P 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

 

Interesting, but I'm not super convinced because I'm pretty sure your stomach would destroy antigens with acid. Otherwise we'd be in trouble, because we're eating other species. I doubt we're more immuno-compatible with fish and poultry than with humans of a different blood type. Just don't... you know... inject rabbit blood. 

I suppose the correlation with other features is possible... 

 

 

NO

 

 

NOPE

 

 

Maybe...

 


Looking good! I think we've found my blood type :P 

 

I'm not super convinced either, and one of the articles above brought this up.

 

However, the acid doesn't break down the proteins, it just denatures them, while enzymes that require a low pH breakdown the proteins. Those proteins only cleave specific amino acid sequences and/or pairs, and only then with a certain efficiency. Some short amino acid chains and resistant proteins could survive, get to the small intestine etc.

 

The issue is whether or not enough would survive to bind to IgE (or was it G) antibodies. In the GI tract, blood, lymph...

 

The problem is there is no evidence that this does happen so, what while some things are mildly plausible... it's just an untested hypothesis.

 

I don't care right now though. I'm losing weight and I feel pretty good. :D 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to post this yesterday before work, but my internet cut out for a few minutes, and I had to leave before posting.

 

====================================

 

Last night I did another 40 min for 450 calories on the hamster wheel (1000 so far for the week).

 

Bullshit or not, this diet is working very well so far:

I'm down 8 lbs since the start of last week (this is day 10). And though it's slowing slightly, it doesn't look like I'm stopping. It's been a pretty consistent -0.66 lbs every day... since it started to slow.

I'm not bursting with energy, but I'm feeling less fatigue at the end of the day... essentially I still have the willpower to get on the hamster wheel.

 

Here's today's menu:

Breakfast: 1 whiting fillet with fresh green beans steamed with vegetable broth topped with Mrs. Dash, followed by a handful of honey roasted sunflower seeds and some blackberries

Lunch 1: Ground turkey, mushrooms, and onion simmered in vegetable broth on top of zoodles

Lunch 2: Veggie meatballs with mixed vegetables with vegetable broth.

Dinner: Raisin Bran with soymilk topped with blueberries and walnut.

 

That's a typical day. Also, bear in mind, dinner was at 5 am this morning.

And steaming in veggie broth (or any broth) is a great way to quickly and easily serve up vegetables. It is becoming a staple around here.

 

===========================================

 

Diet and tracking:

I started tracking weight at 273, now I'm at 265.4... so I've lost my easy eight. Now things are interesting... and i see no sign of a slow down yet.

I finally updated my tracking sheet this week so you can see what i'm eating: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jag6eSOsi69is3HXipmECDZzUL6E1ryeSxoKp-Y5eJI/edit?usp=sharing

 

Hamster wheel: I took last night off. I will be doing it tonight and tomorrow night and that should get me to 2000 calories burned.

 

Mad Science: Ugh. I just placed an order for more lab supplies... ouch. I ordered some basic electronic supplies like solder and electrical tape, a couple books my engineer friend recommended, and some work holding gear, vices, clamps, and a super cool magnifying glass head gear with LED lights so I can see what I'm doing. This will be the last set of upgrades for some time.

 

I read a whole chapter from a book on sensors, now I need to catch up on the lecture videos so I can take the week 3 quiz this weekend while working on my week 2 project.

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Week one down, and another begins...

 

Diet Tracking: Here's the final sheet for the week... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jag6eSOsi69is3HXipmECDZzUL6E1ryeSxoKp-Y5eJI/edit?usp=sharing

 

That was a clean week. After Mother's Day I must have been overcompensating... no eggs, no wine. Half my max of oils/fats. Not much grain either. But man I killed it on fruits (29 servings) and veggies (44 servings).

 

From that, my estimated average daily intakes were:

1948 calories

113 g Protein

232 g Carbohydrates

63 g Fat

 

And my weigh-in this morning was 264.4 lbs., with the average over the past 7 days being 266.4 lbs. Everything is still trending downward and my pants fit better.

 

Hamster Wheel: Despite being 200 calories under what most TDEE calculators come up with as my BMR, I've had enough energy to do 4, 40 min sessions on the wheel, and I burned 2000 calories according to the bike's calorimeter.

 

And I have no DOMs or tightness or soreness. I'm not fatigued. In fact, at work the last two nights I've had been running a job that affords me little time to sit down, and has me walking around a bunch... and I'm still not tired.

 

Electrical Engineering and lab construction: I have some catching up to do on coursework, but I have little on my plate this weekend. I should be able to manage it. My whiteboard, upon which I can efficiently diagram my plans for world domination, arrived this week, so I need to find a way to hang that up. And my organizer cart arrived, so I can start stocking that with tools. The rest of the things I ordered trickle in over the next few weeks.

 

tumblr_pzmuk80z5A1tzqospo4_250.gifv

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

That was a clean week. After Mother's Day I must have been overcompensating... no eggs, no wine. Half my max of oils/fats. Not much grain either. But man I killed it on fruits (29 servings) and veggies (44 servings).

 

From that, my estimated average daily intakes were:

1948 calories

113 g Protein

232 g Carbohydrates

63 g Fat


What protein are you eating? Just wondering how you keep it higher while the calories and fat are lower. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harriet said:


What protein are you eating? Just wondering how you keep it higher while the calories and fat are lower. 

 

I usually eat four times a day.

4 oz. of chicken breast or fish once a day

Usually a couple servings of veggie meats, tofu etc.

2% fat yogurt some days

 

Those are the main proteins, but consider that my dinner cereal is usually raisin bran with soymilk, topped with a handful of nuts and fruit... added together that totals up to 255-30g. Vegetables might only have 2-3g of protein a serving, but if you eat 7 servings a day you just added 14-21 g of Protein.

 

Basically, I stick with whole foods and it all adds up.

 

The other thing is I don't eat much grain and far less sugar. 3 servings a day is typical, and now if I'm thinking "I need carbs with this" I'm just as likely to add a scoop of beans as I am to add rice or bread or pasta.

 

And I don't think I've had rice, bread or pasta all week.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did my weekly measurements.

 

The biggest changes were in my extremities: biceps, thighs, and calves. All of which went down.

 

My core areas: waist, chest, hips etc... All went up, though only by 0.25 inches or so. So they're probably about the same within error.

 

I would've liked to see the core areas go down a bit... but I'm only starting week. Three.

 

My weight is down significantly.

My extremities are leaner.

My pants fit better.

And overall, I feel a lot better.

 

I never mentioned a handful of symptoms I was starting to have, like I felt like something was going on with my blood pressure for a while, and I was having discomfort from GI issues. Nothing serious, but some stuff that just didn't feel right happening once in a while. All that is gone.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.