• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chris-Tien Jinn

Hail the Return of the Persistent Priestess!! [Chris-Tien]

Background

One of my favorite authors, Seanan McQuire, has a fun series about all of the mythological creatures from Big Foot to Dragons and (not at all nice) werewolves ... and the zoologists who study and interact with them.  Some are sentient, including the delightful Aeslin mice.  

mice.png

As McQuire describes them, Aeslin mice are intelligent, pan-theistic mice who have a "highly sophisticated society,  centered around a devout religious class. Each colony of Aeslin mice to have been recorded has worshiped a different god or set of gods. These have included, but were not limited to, a large oak tree, a roll-top desk, and a flock of chickens."  In the InCryptid series, they worship the protagonist's family .... assigning each person a Title ..... and they develop a series of rituals and celebrations that commemorate important ... or not so important .... events in the family's history.  I find them charming because they are willing to celebrate everything and are universally cheerful.  And in these troubling times, I've decided I want their company and inspiration for the next .... how many?? ... weeks.  I used to be a sunny person with a cheerful disposition. Please, oh mice, help me find my way back .....

For the colony in the books, the women are priestesses (the men are gods, which sets the men up for some good-natured ribbing).  Since my only super power is persistence, we've started calling me the "Persistent Priestess" around the house .... so I'm taking it for this challenge.  

Goals

• Run a 5K (in 40 minutes or less) June 19th
  • WOD 3 times per week
  • Weigh < 165 lbs
  • 800 Points

Ways and Means

1. Run/walk 3 to 4 times per week, pushing the long run up past 3.1 miles
  2. Get to CrossFit classes when the box reopens ... and do as much of the posted WODs on my own as I can.  
  3. Do yoga each morning!!  
  4. Superhero nutrition move every day.  That means making a swap or change in what I eat so that I trade out something that is low in nutrition for something more supportive .... or eating just a bit less. I'm not trying to lose weight quickly ... only about 125 calorie deficit per day will do it in the long run.  
  5. Find something for the Aeslin mice to celebrate daily.  Which means that I will, I hope, be posting daily.  
  • Like 8

Today is a dual observance for the mice ..... it is not only May the Fourth Be With You:

Jedi36-1.jpg?time=1585912479

but it is also The Last Monday of the Spring Term.  

HAIL the watching of Star Wars Rebels and OMG, When Will I Be Done With Grading?!?!?!  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

.... intelligent, pan-theistic mice ....

following and ofc

regarding mice

download (16).jpg

• Like 4

There's a lot of mouse star wars gifs, but most are of people's art. So... I will not steal them. But hi, and intriguing creatures these Aeslin mice.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Just did the NF Yoga Wrist mini-session.

OMG.

Upside down hands? Hehe.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Told you so.

That's got to be a daily thing.  Probably need to do the shoulders too.  

Today, I discovered background office "white noise" as a thing to help combat quarantine fatigue.  I really don't like working at home, but this seemed to help:  https://imisstheoffice.eu/ .  In fact, a few times, I found myself turning to see who was walking by my (home) office!!  So, HAIL the Deliberate Finding of Ghostly Office Workers!!!

• Like 4

Yesterday was the commemoration of The Problem with the Internet is You Can't Reach Idiots to Slap Them!  

d1ckuio-4726c843-b9c8-41da-849e-6df3028fa580.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzlmNWEwNDgwLTUwNzYtNDc4Ny05Y2Q0LWM3MTFiZWU4NTE0OFwvZDFja3Vpby00NzI2Yzg0My1iOWM4LTQxZGEtODQ5ZS02ZGYzMDI4ZmE1ODAuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8juw4MnHp102ZI7QXfz2f3cImcHhFOwqFf9ii4iSOCg

Of course, these days, it could be a morning ritual .....

• Like 4

I'm starting to settle into the new challenge and be productive.

I took a 1 mile run around a small lake and then did a double-long ROMWOD (felt great!), and I asked hubby (yea for asking for what I want) to make one fewer meatballs for me for dinner (spaghetti and meatballs are kinda the Thursday standard meal) AND I didn't eat his extras when he realized he had still made too much.  So, super nutrition points there!!!

Today I do truly celebrate the Writing of the Final Final!!!  Time to hang out and relax ....

cute-harvest-mouses-dean-mason-photography-2-5d244752a8e91__700.jpg

.... oh who am I kidding??  It's grading, grading, grading for the next two weeks, but I am more likely to take yoga and workout breaks when I get computer-face.  

• Like 5

I am enjoying the morning wake up routine with the Water series from NF Yoga.  Not too hard, but it really wakes up the spine and feels good.  

I'm fitting in the shoulder and wrist mini-sessions during the day.  They are GREAT ----- especially after a day of sitting at the computer.  Although I'm pretty sure that bodies are not actually able to move in some of those directions.  I think the instructor is an alien.  A nice alien.  But I'm not convinced that my body will ever move that way.

Today was a LOVELY day and I took the opportunity to do my long run of the week.  I am now up to 3.3 miles on the long run!!!  Still slow, but doing it.  As I was running, this song popped into my head .... so I'll share the earworm with you all.  

• Like 5

On 5/4/2020 at 3:48 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

"Persistent Priestess"

I like that. Mice can be very cute, and these ones are.

Brandt only once had a nickname for me, he called me Chocolate Mouse, because apparently my nose wiggled like a mouse's when I smelled or ate chocolate.

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh my.  It's been ...... I don't have words.  The end of the term was rough.  My department chair and I ended up shouting at each other on Friday.  Final assignments got forgotten or eaten by aggressive spam filters and virus checkers.  Students fell ill and barely had time to withdraw from classes before they failed.   I hope we figure out how to avoid falling apart by next fall.  

I HAVE been working out.  It's amazing how many miles I can log when I'm furious.  But that has always helped me calm down and refocus.  I am so glad that the weather has been not too wet or cold.  

But today, we have an extra special celebration.  

It is the reopening of our CrossFit box!!!!!  

080723-F-3001D-100.JPG

All Hail The Trashing of the Quads!!!!!

Honestly, I probably will be barely able to walk in the morning, but it was such a relief to go to class.  It's weird to have to wash hands and equipment and stay in our little, marked off boxes once we get into place.  But it's a little breath of normal and stress relief and ...... oh my, just being around PEOPLE face to face .... more or less.  

• Like 5

On 5/20/2020 at 1:23 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

It's amazing how many miles I can log when I'm furious.

I so get this!

Sorry you had an argument with your dept. chair.

Woot! Woot! for going back to the workout class. Hope you have a good, relaxing (or exercise filled) weekend.

OMG.  What a month .......

I kept going with self-care as much as I could and leveled up:

bazjohnson.png

We are still healthy and safe, and I hope that all of you are the same.  

I was spending so much time at the computer these past 5 weeks, between work and news, that I had to start setting limits on computer time.  I was just scrolling through email, news outlets, Facebook, and Twitter all day and getting more angry and depressed in turns.  I think the College finally has a plan, and I can start revising my courses.  

The last 5 weeks have taught me that I need to have a physical planner to use to track activities and goals.  If I log into the computer to record my wellness activities or check on the Rebellion, I can end up wasting hours from having gotten side tracked by some notification or email.  

How Did I Do???

Goals

• Run a 5K (in 40 minutes or less) June 19th .... I probably won't make that time next week, but I'll do my best and see where we land.  
  • WOD 3 times per week ..... NOPE!!  I am still going once or twice per week and working through DOMS
  • Weigh < 165 lbs ....... YES!!!!!  
  • 800 Points ...... Also a yeap, although I had to give myself major points for 1) not drinking alcohol during this time period and 2) sticking with tracking my food intake, accurately (even when it was WAY outside my established goals) for a solid month.  

Ways and Means

1. I had intended to run/walk 3 to 4 times per week, pushing the long run up past 3.1 miles.  I did this for most of the challenge but fell off during the last week as way too many online meetings and workshops tied me down.  
  2. I did start going to CrossFit classes again.  Some workouts I just won't do because they involve moves that I think are questionable (American KB swings or hundred of reps) 
  3. I did start doing yoga each morning .... most mornings.  I really enjoy the NF Yoga series and am mostly doing water and fire workouts, although I'm going to download the harder ones too and start doing those.  
  4. I liked the idea of a superhero nutrition move every day.  I logged consistently and generally managed to cut out eating chips, snacking, and drinking calories.  
  5. Between the pandemic and the protests, I just couldn't come up with something for the Aeslin mice to celebrate daily.  

So .... I am off to find a planner as a reward and as a piece of gear that will help me vanquish next challenge's goals.  I'm looking at Commit30's fitness journal since they look very flexible, but ideas are welcome!!

• Like 5