• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

y2zipper

Biking and Utter Nonsense

New challenge time! I use this thing to post my macros and my workouts as I train for the end of Corona. Also my food. I like to ride miles and miles and miles and stuff...

Main Quest: Bike 100 miles each week.

Sidequest 1: Train Core twice a week

Sidequest 2: Drink 48 oz of water daily

Sidequest 3: Save Money for New Bike

• Like 3

Awesome to have another biker here!
What kind of bike are you saving for? I know nothing about bikes, so tell Sloth the details and tell me something really general like road/mountain/cyclocross/gravel/hybrid...ugh maybe that's all the kinds of bikes I can think of.

image.png

Except maybe something like this

2 minutes ago, Xena said:

Awesome to have another biker here!
What kind of bike are you saving for? I know nothing about bikes, so tell Sloth the details and tell me something really general like road/mountain/cyclocross/gravel/hybrid...ugh maybe that's all the kinds of bikes I can think of.

image.png

Except maybe something like this

That Cat in the Hat bike is exactly what I'm looking for! 

To be a little more serious, I'm a road cyclist. I bought a beginner road bike a couple years ago because I wasn't sure how much I'd be riding, but I'm finding it to be more cost-effective to upgrade to something newer in order to have a lighter bike and to have something I can upgrade the components to from there as I go now that I'm a committed rider. 

I have my eyes on a few Trek bikes but I'm going to get a better professional fitting and then get a bike based on my fit next time around. I should be able to do it in a couple months.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I'm not a biker but that sounds like a lot of miles! How many hours of riding is that?

I can do 30 miles in about 2 hours. I take Tuesday and Thursday and do 30-35 miles or so plus another 50+ on Saturdays. So I end up being on my bike for 7 or 8 hours per week. The Saturday rides will head more toward 100 miles as I get ready for stuff.

My workout and macros for the day will be up later.

• Like 2

Today's Marcros

Calories Protein Fat Carbs
2051 156 85 150

Water: 48 oz./48 oz.

I'm about 400 calories under here, so I might have a snack later if I need it. But I did hit the protein and the fat number, so I'm okay here.

Today is an utter nonsense day (which is my new name for strength and conditioning)

I basically do 3 sets of the compound circuit, 3 sets of lower body, then 3 sets of core. I'll be doing weight training the second I have gym access again.

Compunds: 3 sets

15 Squats (Bodyweight plus 10 pounds)
Pushups AMRAP (16, 14, 13)

1-minute rest

Lower Body: 3 sets (all with 10 lbs.)

10 Lunges

10 Lateral Step-Ups

10 Single-Leg Deadlift

10 Calf Raises

1-minute rest.

Core: 3 sets

15 Figher Sit-Ups

20 Russian Twists

10 Supermans

Cardio: "Run" I use that term very loosely since I was tired from Saturday's ride still.

Distance: 4 miles

Moving Time: 50:05

Avg Pace: 12:34 (yep, I was walking. Again, super tired)

Tomorrow is a bike day.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 9:18 PM, y2zipper said:

Today is an utter nonsense day (which is my new name for strength and conditioning)

Love this!

• Like 1

Today's Macros

2615 158 133 192

400 Under Yesterday, 200 Over today. Ebbs and Flows like this are okay. Still hitting the protein number thanks to Greek Yogurt and Venison jerky.

Today's Ride Data: Knight Rider (I rode in the evening.)

Left the house, rode like a quarter mile, got a flat, walked back home, changed the inner tube, and rode again...

Distance 28.29 miles

Average Speed: 16.1 mph

Moving Time: 1:45:16

Average Cadence: 86 RPM

Tomorrow will be utter nonsense, boxing edition...

EDIT: 4 16 ouncers of water

• Like 2

10 hours ago, y2zipper said:

Today's Macros

2615 158 133 192

400 Under Yesterday, 200 Over today. Ebbs and Flows like this are okay. Still hitting the protein number thanks to Greek Yogurt and Venison jerky. 

Good work! You seem to be having an easy time hitting that protein goal, I'm impressed. Hitting 100 is hard work for me.

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Good work! You seem to be having an easy time hitting that protein goal, I'm impressed. Hitting 100 is hard work for me.

Wow. I like the right kinds of food for high protein eating and aim for about 72% of my bodyweight in pounds in protein grams. Most days I can get to the 133 goal without protein shakes but I keep one on hand for emergencies. I'll probably have one today because I have meetings and that makes cooking harder.

Shorter utter nonsense day with a little boxing thrown in (man I miss the MMA gym lol). This functions as a little recovery day from the last couple days.

Compunds: 3 sets

15 Squats (Bodyweight plus 10 pounds)
Pushups AMRAP (16, 14, 13)

1-minute rest

Lower Body: 3 sets (all with 10 lbs.)

10 Lunges

10 Lateral Step-Ups

10 Single-Leg Deadlift

10 Calf Raises

1-minute rest.

Shadow boxing 3 rounds, 3 minutes each. 283 punches thrown.

Macros to come later... way later.

• Like 4

So Wednesday I ate 3k calories and was waaay over. Today I stick a little above 2k but missed again. I only got about 10 miles in on the bike today trying to do hill repeats, but when the wind blows down the hill it just makes it awful.

Something like 39/100 miles for the week. The 65 this Saturday will get me over the hump, but I need to work my climbing legs.

• Like 4

Today's Macros

2157 133 97 203

Morning walk happened: 4 miles. I think I'm just gonna be walking on strength training days and prioritizing cycling more so I can recover better. Next week also looks to be better riding weather for mid-day stuff that happens after office hours. Highest carb day in awhile, protein is still on the money and there's a little extra room here. My goal was getting back on the horse and I did with meals left over for the next couple days.

Pretty Good today. Made sure I got more carbs in since I'll be distancing riding tomorrow. I'll also start weighing in on Monday's to make sure I'm still dropping. I set the activity level on my macro calculator lower than I'm actually at because I know I'll eat a little over.  We will see what happens lol.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, y2zipper said:

I only got about 10 miles in on the bike today trying to do hill repeats, but when the wind blows down the hill it just makes it awful.

As someone who hates biking, that sounds awful to me.  Whenever I have to ride uphill, I just want to throw the bike away and start walking. So I'm impressed with you and will be even more impressed when I hear about your long ride this weekend!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xena said:

As someone who hates biking, that sounds awful to me.  Whenever I have to ride uphill, I just want to throw the bike away and start walking. So I'm impressed with you and will be even more impressed when I hear about your long ride this weekend!

Well I hate running so to each their own haha.

Long ride data for 3/4 century:

72.43 miles

Moving Time: 4:14:13

Avg speed: 17.1 mph

Avg Cadence: 86 rpm

So I got an extra half mph just through cadence management. Intake also feels good. I aim for roughly 200 calories an hour through Gatorade and sour patch kids.

I know I'm ready for the 100s coming this fall because I have gas in the tank after this ride.

• Like 4

So I weigh 182 after three weeks, down from probably over 185 because I said I weighed 185...

So fitness happened today. I watched UFC 249 and it made me miss the MMA gym, so I did a boxing workout in my boxing app today where it calls punches and exercises and stuff. Basically, it'll call punch combos and then it will call "exercise" and you exercise.

"Monk"-eying around day (I'll show myself out)

7 x 3-minute round, total of 318 punches. When it called "exercise" I rotated 3 of them in.

-Jumping Jacks-
-Squats-
-Perfect Push-Ups-

After that I did a 1 mile run and a 3 mile walk. Macros later and biking tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Two days of updates coming here. Marcos for Monday and Tuesday and Workouts for Tuesday and Wednesday...

Monday Macros

2237 179 83 183

Tuesday Macros

2244 142 102 186

Tuesday Ride Data

30.10 miles

Moving Time 1:55:14

Avg Speed 15.7 mi/h

The temperature was nice, the wind was awful and I got sunburned on my arms and I felt slow the whole way but I made it. That's what I get for going out in short sleeves.

Wednesday Workout

Went back to the boxing workout I did Monday, and made it harder by eliminating the jumping jacks and only doing squats and perfect push-ups and by doing 10 rounds instead of 7: 5 orthodox and 5 southpaw.

So orthodox was a 5 x 3 minutes, 244 punches thrown

Southpaw 5 x 3 minute rounds 245 punches thrown.

There were also push ups and squats here too when the app called "exercise"

Then I walked 4 miles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

That workout sounds exhausting!

I think next week I'll go up to 12 rounds. It's just shadow boxing so it isn't super hard, but progressing my strength is nil until the gym is back open so I'll work on strength endurance and trimming the fat for the time being. I also have a ton of experience.

• Like 2

Another 2-day Update

2405 152 99 227

Totals      
2300 129 89

5 calories over for Wednesday, but I'm still about 500 under for the week so far with a couple of 2200 days. I'll probably be under 180 for the first time in a couple years on Monday. I'm hopeful my strength doesn't sap too much from dropping weight, but I can't really fix that until I can lift barbells again. I actually hit the carb goals for once, but I don't usually. 

Yesterday's ride:

24.14 miles

With the wind being terrible, I went into the headwind with big gear to practice some climbing efforts. I usually train this on the indoor trainer but I was happy with how this went.

Today is light day, so just a 4-mile walk and then recovery for tomorrow's long ride.  

• Like 3

So I have an abundance of updates both in life and in fitness. The next couple weeks are picking up at work with the end of the school year stuff. I actually have to go on-site tomorrow and finish up report cards and stuff, so with work picking up posting here every day is tough. In any event, I have a Saturday bike ride, Monday's utter, UTTER nonsense and this morning's ride to tell you about.

I ate a bunch of crap Friday-Sunday. I still weighed 180 Monday morning, so I didn't exactly go too overboard. I tend to just skip a meal in the event I'm going to eat a lot, which works okay for me.

Saturday's ride:

53.15 miles

16.0 MPH average

3:19:50 moving time

81 Average RPM

I did a bunch of rolling hills and climbing here, which is why RPMs are down. My climbing legs felt really good though, at least compared to some of the people that were out riding.

Monday's Utter Nonsense

I went for the full 12-round version of my boxing workout and got it done. I swallowed vomit in round 7, but kept going and didn't actually throw up. I decided to count reps by doing one exercise per round. Push-ups during odd rounds and squats during evening rounds. So it's a 3 x12 minute round with a total of 665 punches thrown, plus these exercises.

Push up Reps (Rounds 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11)

Squat Reps (Rounds 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12)

After all that, I went on an interval run (1:00 on, 30 seconds off). The interval really helped my pace and I set PRs for one mile, 2 mile and did a 5k in under 30 minutes for the first time in forever. According to Strava.

4.06 miles

Avg Pace 9:38/mile

39:07 moving time.

Tuesday Morning Ride

This morning I forgot to strap on the HR monitor, but I didn't really care.

26.47 miles

1:39:33 moving time

16.0 MPH average speed

83 RPM cadence

Meh. A little slow on the cadence but I did go in a new direction. I also ran across and EMU farm, which was cool.

Macros for yesterday and today:

Totals         Totals      
Calories Protein Fat Carbs   Calories Protein Fat Carbs
1890 128 86 154   1817 153 50 175

I'm doing a little more deficit on purpose because I'm going to work the next 2 days and I know I'm going to want fast food, so a little extra deficit doesn't hurt.

In other news, my MMA gym is opening on Memorial Day, so I'll have access to weights again in the next 2 weeks hopefully. Also, my wife and I picked up the Gloomhaven campaigning again, which you really should play if you haven't played it.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1