• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ranger Hal

Ranger Hal Goes to Bed at a Slightly More Reasonable Hour

22 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

What is your job?  My garden got hailed on, and it was not happy. Woot for installing the coat rack

Civil engineer. I mostly work at a desk which is probably for the best. I don't think I would do well working with contractors, in particular the part where I have to tell them to do something they don't want to do.

I'm sorry about your garden. I hope it recovers. I don't think I got any hail in my area.

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 1 Sunday

Weekend: (0/1)

Morning walk: (1/7) evening walk

Workout: (0/3)

Jump Rope: (0/2)

Dishes/Clean: (1/7) dishes

Vegetables: (1/7) salad

Creative/Garden: (1/7) netting for garden

Water the Garden: (1/7) watered

In Bed by Midnight: (1/7) close enough

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 2 Monday

Morning walk: (2/7) SAR

Dishes/Clean: (2/7) dishes and laundry

Vegetables: (2/7) broccoli

Creative/Garden: (2/7) quarter quilt square

Water the Garden: (2/7) rained

In Bed by Midnight: (1/6) decided not to worry about this

I was going to make pumpkin pie, but I decided it would be better with ice cream, so I will make it after my next grocery store run. Instead, I made brownies last night. They were pretty awesome! I also decided I didn't care about going to bed by midnight because today was a holiday and I could sleep in. I caught the slugs chewing on my zucchini plants. I threw them off, but if they keep coming back, I might have to buy some cheap beer and drown the lot of them. I was a bit grumpy earlier, but I'm pretty relaxed right now. SAR mission meant I had to do laundry. Again. Blasted COVID means I'm doing laundry almost twice as often as usual. Although that's not entirely fair. All those days at the job site also play a part in it because I only have one pair of jeans that's in good enough condition (i.e. no random paint splatters) to wear when I'm trying to be somewhat professional. I might need to buy more jeans, and more work pants while I'm at it because the ones I have are getting kind of ratty around the cuffs (and with no one in the office, I don't really care). Hey, I do have a couple of things to look forward to this summer, even with the uncertainty. There's a new Dresden Files book coming in July and another one in September. Not sure how I feel about two so close together. Will the second one still be as good if it's rushed? And then the last Queen's Thief book comes out in October! Most of the time, I get books from the library so I don't have to pay for them (yay free books!), but both of these series, I buy the hardcovers because I like them that much and will read them over and over.

Okay, this was kind of rambly, but it's my thread, so I can do what I want. Hah!

Wow. I am in a good mood. And chatty. Weird.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

Week 3, Day 2 Monday

Morning walk: (2/7) SAR

Dishes/Clean: (2/7) dishes and laundry

Vegetables: (2/7) broccoli

Creative/Garden: (2/7) quarter quilt square

Water the Garden: (2/7) rained

In Bed by Midnight: (1/6) decided not to worry about this

I was going to make pumpkin pie, but I decided it would be better with ice cream, so I will make it after my next grocery store run. Instead, I made brownies last night. They were pretty awesome! I also decided I didn't care about going to bed by midnight because today was a holiday and I could sleep in. I caught the slugs chewing on my zucchini plants. I threw them off, but if they keep coming back, I might have to buy some cheap beer and drown the lot of them. I was a bit grumpy earlier, but I'm pretty relaxed right now. SAR mission meant I had to do laundry. Again. Blasted COVID means I'm doing laundry almost twice as often as usual. Although that's not entirely fair. All those days at the job site also play a part in it because I only have one pair of jeans that's in good enough condition (i.e. no random paint splatters) to wear when I'm trying to be somewhat professional. I might need to buy more jeans, and more work pants while I'm at it because the ones I have are getting kind of ratty around the cuffs (and with no one in the office, I don't really care). Hey, I do have a couple of things to look forward to this summer, even with the uncertainty. There's a new Dresden Files book coming in July and another one in September. Not sure how I feel about two so close together. Will the second one still be as good if it's rushed? And then the last Queen's Thief book comes out in October! Most of the time, I get books from the library so I don't have to pay for them (yay free books!), but both of these series, I buy the hardcovers because I like them that much and will read them over and over.

Okay, this was kind of rambly, but it's my thread, so I can do what I want. Hah!

Wow. I am in a good mood. And chatty. Weird.

You’re doing great!

I definitely need to start using my local library more.  I might make it my mission when it reopens.

Also, I had no idea about beer and slugs, I thought salt was the thing?

9 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Also, I had no idea about beer and slugs, I thought salt was the thing?

Salt is a thing, but it only works on the slugs you see. With beer, you can set it out in a container and they will come to it and drown themselves (slugs are apparently alcoholics). I've heard people talk about digging a hole so the container is at ground level and the slugs can get in easier, but from my experience growing up, that's not necessary. Our slugs were perfectly happy to climb up the side of a quart sized yogurt container to get at the beer.

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 3 Tuesday

Morning walk: (3/7) short walk

Workout: (1/3) Well, sort of. I got more than halfway through, but my hip was starting to act up, so I stopped rather than make it worse.

Dishes/Clean: (3/7) dishes and took out the trash

Vegetables: (3/7) salad

Creative/Garden: (2/7) 

Water the Garden: (3/7) rained

In Bed by Midnight: (2/6) yep

This morning, I had to rush to get out to work because I found out I had a meeting (virtual) an hour before it started and the drive is half an hour, so I didn't quite get all my morning routines done. After work, I chopped some of the grass. It was getting way too long. I wonder if I could plant my yard full of sword ferns or something so I wouldn't have to deal with the annoying grass that keeps growing. Tonight I made hot chocolate from a white chocolate snowman that was free because it was broken. Cute idea, although I probably wouldn't pay for it. It was pretty good anyway.

• Like 1

I kind of forgot to post last night. Well actually, it was more like I didn't feel like posting because I wasn't doing all the things and I was staying up later than I should have (which will get recorded for Thursday). But I don't want to lose track completely, so here's yesterday's.

Week 3, Day 4 Wednesday

Morning walk: (4/7) walk

Workout: (1/3)

Dishes/Clean: (3/7)

Vegetables: (4/7) cabbage soup

Creative/Garden: (2/7) 

Water the Garden: (4/7) watered

In Bed by Midnight: (3/6) close enough (Tuesday night)

My church had a service (streamed) last night, but 2/3 of the way through, I stopped it because I had virtual meeting to go to. That was probably a mistake. I'm kind of annoyed with the meeting. It was boring, slow, people had technology issues, and the only relevant info I got out of it was that a couple more events have been canceled and the ones in mid-July and later are still holding out hope that they can happen. I'm kind of doubtful based on where my county is at in the reopening. My guess is that we're still a week or two away from Phase 2 where we can have social gatherings of up to 5 people, assuming things keep improving (the trends are generally good at the moment). Then it's at least another three weeks (maybe longer) before we can start Phase 3 which allows social gatherings of up to 50 people. And another three weeks (also maybe longer) before Phase 4 where larger social gatherings are allowed. And from what I recall, these events (running races, triathlons, that sort of thing) had numbers in the hundreds of people, so mid-July, while technically still possible, seems really optimistic. Basically, everything would have to go perfectly, and given what we've seen of this pandemic, how likely is that? Anyway, I probably should have just skipped the meeting and finished church.

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 5 Thursday

Morning walk: (5/7) walk

Workout: (2/3) Workout 3C

Dishes/Clean: (4/7) dishes and a corner of the living room

Vegetables: (5/7) salad

Creative/Garden: (3/7) new recipe

Water the Garden: (5/7) watered

In Bed by Midnight: (3/6) nope

I made a creamy garlic chicken in a pan. I think it turned out okay, but maybe the thicker pieces of chicken needed to be cooked more. Well, reheating the leftovers should hopefully take care of that.

Week 3, Day 6 Friday

Morning walk: (6/7)  job site

Workout: (2/3)

Dishes/Clean: (4/7) nope

Vegetables: (5/7) 

Creative/Garden: (3/7) 

Water the Garden: (6/7) watered

In Bed by Midnight: (4/6) yes

Friday was rough. *insert grumble here about clients who are sometimes unreasonable, and while it's understandable because they're under a lot of stress, it's still annoying* It turns out there's an advantage to wearing masks while working. It's a lot easier to hide when you're on the edge of tears for half the day. Or at least I think it is. I'm not going to ask my coworker if he noticed. Anyway, when I got home, I didn't feel like adulting or fooding, so dinner was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and popcorn. Popcorn is a vegetable, right? (Okay, I just don't feel quite right about counting it as a vegetable.)

Sorry the day was hard. And, while it is good to have goals and healthy eating skills, it is equally good to know when it's ok to not follow those guidelines.

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 7 Saturday

Morning walk: (7/7)  job site

Workout: (2/3)

Dishes/Clean: (5/7) dishes and laundry

Vegetables: (6/7) salad 

Creative/Garden: (3/7) blueberry muffins

Water the Garden: (7/7) rain

In Bed by Midnight: (5/6) well, I put the couch cushions on the floor and slept on them, but it was before midnight, so it counts

Had to work today and the start of work was delayed for safety reasons because of lightning, so that was exciting (lightning is not all that common here). We finished early, around 2pm, which was nice. The rest of the day felt kind of blah. I couldn't even get excited about the blueberry muffins I made. I got all the dishes washed and laundry done, so that's good. I discovered that I still have brownies, which did make me a little happy. I'm going to go eat some now.

46 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry the day was hard. And, while it is good to have goals and healthy eating skills, it is equally good to know when it's ok to not follow those guidelines.

Thanks. I had decided I wasn't going to bother trying to find a vegetable to eat, so it made me smile when I realized that popcorn, being corn, could technically be a vegetable.

• Like 1

Week 4, Day 1 Sunday

Morning walk: (0/7) no walk today

Jump Rope: (1/2) 20+ min

Dishes/Clean: (1/7) dishes

Vegetables: (1/7) salad 

Creative/Garden: (0/7) 

Water the Garden: (1/7) rain

In Bed by Midnight: (1/7) yes

Week 4, Day 2 Monday

Morning walk: (0/7) oops

Jump Rope: (1/2)

Dishes/Clean: (1/7)

Vegetables: (2/7) salad 

Creative/Garden: (0/7) 

Water the Garden: (2/7) watered

In Bed by Midnight: (1/7) I think I kept reading past midnight, but it's a little fuzzy

I forgot about an early work meeting and didn't have time for a morning walk. One of my zucchini plants didn't survive being chewed on. The other one isn't looking too healthy. The leaves are kind of yellowish and it doesn't seem to be growing much.

• Like 1

Week 4, Day 3 Tuesday

Morning walk: (1/7) short walk

Workout: (1/3) Workout 3A

Dishes/Clean: (2/7) dishes

Vegetables: (3/7) carrots in chili

Creative/Garden: (1/7) banana nut muffins

Water the Garden: (3/7) still wet

In Bed by Midnight: (1/7) nope

Made a big pot of chili in the crockpot. In my workout, I finally did the full 4 sets of 5 pushups! Now maybe I can move on to a new level.

Edited because this was Tuesday, not Monday.

• Like 1

Week 4, Day 4 Wednesday

Morning walk: (2/7) job site

Workout: (1/3)

Dishes/Clean: (3/7) dishes

Vegetables: (4/7) zucchini

Creative/Garden: (1/7) 

Water the Garden: (4/7) watered

In Bed by Midnight: (1/7) stayed up reading

Edited because this was Wednesday, not Tuesday

• Like 1

Well, Thursday started out fine. I think I even got to bed on time Wednesday night. And then at the end of the day I had a meltdown triggered by an all office email from the office manager. These days a lot of her emails end up with me in tears. Although some just make me annoyed, like she's trying too hard to make us like her. I admit I may be biased and unfair. Anyway, this time was worse than usual. I don't deal well with change and stress and Covid showed up after more than a year of changes at work. I took a walk which probably wasn't a total fail because I did get some exercise, but it didn't make me feel any better. I managed to distract myself for a few hours by finishing watching Avatar: The Last Airbender (it even made me laugh some), but the waterworks started up again when I tried to go to bed and resulted in an email to my bosses at 2:30 am basically just to let them know I wasn't doing well. My bosses are awesome, even if they can't fix everything. I survived today and had a nice video chat with some friends. Now I'm going to go try to distract myself with a book or something, even though distracting myself didn't work very well last time.

On 6/6/2020 at 6:31 AM, Ranger Hal said:

Well, Thursday started out fine. I think I even got to bed on time Wednesday night. And then at the end of the day I had a meltdown triggered by an all office email from the office manager. These days a lot of her emails end up with me in tears. Although some just make me annoyed, like she's trying too hard to make us like her. I admit I may be biased and unfair. Anyway, this time was worse than usual. I don't deal well with change and stress and Covid showed up after more than a year of changes at work. I took a walk which probably wasn't a total fail because I did get some exercise, but it didn't make me feel any better. I managed to distract myself for a few hours by finishing watching Avatar: The Last Airbender (it even made me laugh some), but the waterworks started up again when I tried to go to bed and resulted in an email to my bosses at 2:30 am basically just to let them know I wasn't doing well. My bosses are awesome, even if they can't fix everything. I survived today and had a nice video chat with some friends. Now I'm going to go try to distract myself with a book or something, even though distracting myself didn't work very well last time.

I hope you're feeling a little better!

I'm glad you can reach out to your bosses like that, it sounds like a great relationship.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 10:46 PM, Elastigirl said:

I'm sorry, that sounds tough.Glad at least the bosses are helpful

23 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I hope you're feeling a little better!

I'm glad you can reach out to your bosses like that, it sounds like a great relationship.

Thanks, I work with some pretty awesome people. They're most of the reason I've never seriously considered leaving despite the number of times I've been in tears at work over the last couple of years. I've recently started wondering if my attitude is part of the problem. Getting upset when the corporate overlords make changes is miserable, and the changes happen anyway. And I've realized that I would probably accept the changes if my bosses were the ones that said we need to do it. I don't imagine my attitude will change and fix things overnight, but it's something to think about.

• Like 2

Well, maybe I can blame this week's lack of posting on ranger brain. I have a new thing. Monday was the start of a step challenge at work. I didn't participate last year and only joined this year because a couple of coworkers were trying to get a team together. We're mostly not interested in the prizes and I was just going to put in the minimum amount to get any points. Well, I didn't count on the leaderboard triggering my competitive side and pushing me to get the 12,000 steps (or other exercise converted to steps) necessary to get maximum points. I've taken long walks several evenings this week. I'm kind of curious to see how long this drive lasts.

• Like 1