• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

@mu

Mu is prepping for HSPUs

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

THANK YOU for those drawings! I now have a new movement cue to watch out for, as I have pike presses in my current program phase! We're probably close to equal in pike pressing strength, TBH, I have sort of not trained beyond basic physique maintenance in over a year at this point (just now starting to really progress in strength in earnest again, and even that training is moving in fits and starts).

Cheers!

I have sort of mostly trained straight arm strength for a year now, and I definitely feel some loss in bent arm strength. Not huge, but some. But hey I had to prioritize a wee bit. So be it.

Wow guys, I was checking Kirsty's video on the eccentrics drill to review form (every so often I notice something important again). I was wondering when I go back up to the top position whether I should stay arms in a straight line at vertical or if it was ok to pass through that and stop in the sort of yoga down dog thing. I strongly suspect it's vertical in front loaded. And the yoga-ish one on the lower progression. That's how it is in the videos anyway. My brain got confused, I will have to correct that.

But then I noticed that IN THE ECCENTRICS VIDEO SHE IS NOT COMING BACK UP AT ALL!!!! (she demonstrates 1 rep). Which makes sense, it's called “eccentrics” not press, right... I have been doing full reps (slow lowering down + full press). I perhaps made it a lot harder for myself... :stung::hopelessness:

In doubt, I have asked her about both things. Let's see what she says.

• Haha 4
  • That's Metal 2

On 5/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, PaulG said:

I hear that. I finally started putting my iPhone with the stopwatch on right in front of my face while I perform the reps. Keeps me honest without having to video every rep (I’m doing them in a walk-in closet in my studio apartment, so it’s tough to get a good form video :) )

I find using a metronome is a lot less fiddly for keeping track of time.

40 minutes ago, @mu said:

But then I noticed that IN THE ECCENTRICS VIDEO SHE IS NOT COMING BACK UP AT ALL!!!! (she demonstrates 1 rep). Which makes sense, it's called “eccentrics” not press, right... I have been doing full reps (slow lowering down + full press). I perhaps made it a lot harder for myself... :stung::hopelessness:

LOL 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, @mu said:

But then I noticed that IN THE ECCENTRICS VIDEO SHE IS NOT COMING BACK UP AT ALL!!!!

Sounds like you’ve got that assessment in the bag. “Sorry coach... I guess I skipped ahead a month?”

20 hours ago, @mu said:

I made this little drawing, it will be clearer I hope

Very intuitive.  I just went and rechecked my pike pushups to see how my position correlates to these.  I didn't realize that I had been dropping my blue angle down a bit from 90 at the bottom of the press so now I have a nice cue to watch for :) 

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's a good idea, in particular with HS where it's difficult to synch the start time. I tend to get lost in counts though. At least with banana-1, banana-2 I know where I am at. That said, I have been known to jump bananas as well :P 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Very intuitive.  I just went and rechecked my pike pushups to see how my position correlates to these.  I didn't realize that I had been dropping my blue angle down a bit from 90 at the bottom of the press so now I have a nice cue to watch for :) 

Cheers!

NB: the drawings are not super accurate, like the butt of the stick figure should move a bit forward as the load increase, but I guess it happens on its own if you follow the arm angles. It was harder to draw than I thought :P

11 hours ago, PaulG said:

Sounds like you’ve got that assessment in the bag. “Sorry coach... I guess I skipped ahead a month?”

I don't know. If I hadn't pressed backed up, maybe I would have been able to increase my ROM, or do more reps / longer times. Maybe it did help, maybe it was a little counterproductive (more is not always better).

Ouch, I checked out the plan for this week. The test is going to be hard. It's actually about checking the next progression - full front loaded pike press (red and blue angles at 90 degree, head to the floor, feet on the floor). And I'm not quite there yet (I said it would take a while :D ).  And I'd have to hit 5 full reps of those with good form to pass ha ha

I will fail it, I'm sure of that (I will try my best though).

Which means I will be getting into a little iso workout loop and test myself every week. Until I pass or 3 weeks have passed, in which case I'll get some test modification and do further looping until I get the new progression. There is no shortcut!

• Like 3

Super helpful diagrams, haha.

8 hours ago, @mu said:

There is no shortcut!

So true!

My bent arm strength is noooot good, lol. I'm very impressed by all of this!

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Brilliant!!! I had never even thought of that, gonna download an app to use during my workouts for sure!

On 5/17/2020 at 11:35 PM, @mu said:

I will fail it, I'm sure of that (I will try my best though).

I know it is hard for me sometimes to remember that failure is good, it shows us where we are and gives us something to strive for. 

"The best view is from the edge"

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 11:20 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I’m super late to the punch but you should know this is a genius tip that I will for sure use. I actually like having the visual for eccentric exercises because I tend to mess up my counts when I’m pushing myself really hard, but I can’t keep my eyes on my phone while doing handstands, so a metronome app will be super useful for them.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:35 PM, @mu said:

Ouch, I checked out the plan for this week. The test is going to be hard. It's actually about checking the next progression - full front loaded pike press (red and blue angles at 90 degree, head to the floor, feet on the floor). And I'm not quite there yet (I said it would take a while :D ).  And I'd have to hit 5 full reps of those with good form to pass ha ha

I’m curious to hear how it’s going! If you’re performing 10s eccentrics of the progression before this, PLUS pushing into a concentric rep at the end, and doing those in sets of 4-5... I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve got a better shot than you think. Let us know!

The week was tough, a mean combo of big work load and ... my uncle passed away :( It was not unexpected because he had been fighting cancer for a year and a half now. But I had him on the phone a few days ago for his birthday, and it felt like he was rather on the up side.  But you never know... My grand mother is also still alive, she's 98 yo and she has to go through losing a son...  I'm also having the worse echo chamber right now because I lost a young friend in a most absurd plane crash in January. And I have lost two people every year for the past effin 3 years, and we are just in May. The sense of doom is pretty high.

The funerals are on Monday in another town so I'll update as life permits.

6 hours ago, PaulG said:

I’m curious to hear how it’s going! If you’re performing 10s eccentrics of the progression before this, PLUS pushing into a concentric rep at the end, and doing those in sets of 4-5... I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve got a better shot than you think. Let us know!

Well, it is not enough yet. I did not manage even one rep. Here are my first 2 attempts, I hope it shows commitment :D

You see I still struggle pretty hard towards the mid to bottom range (elbows flare and stuff).

And to pass I have to hit 5 full reps "without strain" lolz. Man it's hard.

So I'm off on an iso detour for a while. Which is what I will track now. It's 10s hold at my deepest x5 in 3-5 sets. Not going back up this time! I just did 3 sets today because I the testing set kinda burnt me.

+ some crow hold (30s x5). And some circuit, including bent arm carries and I still don't have appropriate weights like DBs so I walked around holding a chair up from one arm (bent at 90 degree). We have a shared courtyard with sliding windows and a neighbor looked at me funnily but I think he is used to seeing me doing odd stuff by now (he has a regular view on HS practice).

/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 02 */
1: Eccentrics 10sx4 - 3 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */ 
2: Eccentrics 10sx5 - 3 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */ 
/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 03 */
1: Eccentrics 10sx5 10sx4 10sx5 10sx5 /* partial front loaded on the floor, a few reps at 8-9s */ 
2: Eccentrics 10sx5 10sx5 10sx5 10sx4 /* partial front loaded on the floor */ 
/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 04 */
0: TEST: front loaded head to floor x5 FAIL (0)
1: Iso 10sx5 - 3 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 2:29 PM, @mu said:

But I had him on the phone a few days ago for his birthday, and it felt like he was rather on the up side.

My mom suddenly became very lucid and (and even went shopping with us) after being completely bed ridden for 6 months, and then passed a few days later.  The Chinese actually have a word for this because apparently it is pretty common here for people to do really well right before they pass.    

I hope the sense of doom passes quickly and that you get back on track after the funerals.  

• Thanks 1

Aw man i'm so sorry for your loss and the whole doom feeling :(

I hope the funeral is as you would all wish under the current circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

I’m sorry to hear about your uncle — for me it was my grandfather last month. I guess a funeral is always a terrible thing, but it’s even more terrible not being able to hug any of your close family. I hope everything goes okay with it for you.

Your presses look like a crazy advanced version. Your hamstring mobility lets you get your whole torso almost 90 degrees to the ground — I can’t get even close to that, I’ve been counting on my torso angle to slowly increase to 90 degrees as I start to elevate my feet. Does your coach demo it with that kind of angle?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind words guys

On 5/23/2020 at 9:10 AM, WhiteGhost said:

My mom suddenly became very lucid and (and even went shopping with us) after being completely bed ridden for 6 months, and then passed a few days later.  The Chinese actually have a word for this because apparently it is pretty common here for people to do really well right before they pass. 

I heard so indeed, like maybe a sort of acceptance stage that presents itself as people looking better when that tension about life vs death has been released? I don't know really.

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I hope the funeral is as you would all wish under the current circumstances. 

There is a church ceremony and it's limited to 20 people, and I think we all have to wear masks.  In any case, we took a bunch + gel.

9 hours ago, PaulG said:

I’m sorry to hear about your uncle — for me it was my grandfather last month. I guess a funeral is always a terrible thing, but it’s even more terrible not being able to hug any of your close family. I hope everything goes okay with it for you.

That sounds like it will be the hard part :(  I'm sorry for your grand father. Thanks.

Anyway thanks again guys.

Today workout done. I received some pretty heavy ankle weights (3kgs each, pretty heavy for ankles but I want to use them for active stretches). And I use both of them for single bent arm carries, it was a bit easier than the chair, I could manage the required 45s. The drills have changed and I missed the skull crushers, I have always enjoyed those :P

1: Eccentrics 10sx5 10sx4 10sx5 10sx5 /* partial front loaded on the floor, a few reps at 8-9s */ 
2: Iso 10sx5 - 4 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */

9 hours ago, PaulG said:

Your presses look like a crazy advanced version. Your hamstring mobility lets you get your whole torso almost 90 degrees to the ground — I can’t get even close to that, I’ve been counting on my torso angle to slowly increase to 90 degrees as I start to elevate my feet. Does your coach demo it with that kind of angle?

I'm getting a tad bit paranoid about doing it wrong :D but I'd say it's more or less in the range that she demonstrates? I follow her setup starting from a square dog. Hands under shoulders, knees under hips => down dog yoga thingy => 1 step forward.

Here is a side by side screenshot: Kirsty vs my first rep

2020-05-21-side-by-side.png.d3ec64a5895863c219abe53f0c71b9e3.png

What I see is this:

• My feet are a bit further out actually. On the second rep, I took a bigger step, but slightly too big (my usual is my first rep's step). She's somewhere in the middle. But my first rep is still within the drill's range imo.

• I should change my gaze to look up a bit more

• I should try to get my feet closer perhaps.

• NB: I'm a butt's hair more forward on my shoulders. But it's just a question of timing. I may have paused my video 1 second later compared to hers.

I never really thought about elevating the feet as a way to deal with a mobility issue on the floor until you started talking about it. I can see how it could help.

In her press to HS programme, there were a few mobility tests with associated drills depending on your score, but not on this one. So I guess she assumes "everybody" has roughly that level of mobility needed to work the first phase on the floor. But she does say to send a message in case something isn't working quite right. Maybe there is an alternative, elevated or not. Maybe with bent legs? But I don't know really. It is such a technical move!!

• Like 5

On 5/24/2020 at 7:00 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. It really has been a rough time for you. 😥

Thanks.

Quick update

Workout done.

I tested myself again and it's still a fail. I did 5 reps dropping to my head at some point, and pushing back on my knees.

So pursuing with iso stuff. I do feel that I'm getting a wee bit deeper on some reps but the floor is still far away.

/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 05 */
1: Iso 10sx5 - 4 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 4:14 AM, @mu said:

Here is a side by side screenshot: Kirsty vs my first rep

Wow. Yeah, you’re right. That’s a very difficult variation. Definitely beyond my ability. I could potentially pull off a negative, but it’s way beyond my hamstring mobility to prove it.

But it definitely makes sense now why you’re having trouble getting the full movement.

That dot in the photo of the coach you showed — is that where your forehead is supposed to land?

On 5/30/2020 at 3:56 AM, PaulG said:

That dot in the photo of the coach you showed — is that where your forehead is supposed to land?

No it's just a tip on how to screw hands into the floor to engage the shoulders.

Super tired today but I made it.

Now I will do another week of iso in deload mode as per the plan. I can do 2-3 weeks, done 2 but given how far the floor is it won't hurt to do another round in deload mode. Then after that, if I still can't pass the original test (which I'm pretty sure I won't), the test will be lowered to partial front loaded reps x5. Those I know I can do but it feels a bit funny to have a detour and still not really get it, you know....

I'm super tired mentally and physically so looking forward to a lighter week.

• Like 4

So deload workout, as per the plan I skipped the circuit part and only I did the test set (still failing), 4 sets of iso, 3 30s crows and some HS to crow practice (I have been been to pull one off every so often but today was definitely not the day!). Feeling a bit meh, hoping grinding it will eventually get me somewhere ah

/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 06  - DELOAD */
1: Iso 10sx5 - 4 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor, a few reps at 8-9s */

• Like 1

Deload workout #2 done

1: Iso 10sx5 - 4 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor, a few reps at 8-9s */

I worked a bit on crane-to-crow pushups and I definitely lost a lot in that area since P2 times... I could barely get one and was still not fully locking out when coming back to crane. And I got some severe upper ab cramping during transitions too. During P2 I could manage about 3 (the lever spin sequence started from crane, I was doing a lot of negatives with those) :sorrow:

Anyway, let's see what's coming next week... I'm not really getting any lower, except maybe on a few reps. And I need a bit less rest. But otherwise, mhm, no obvious level-up in sight helas...

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, KB Girl said:

That picture is hilarious in the context 😝

Why do we even do this?? ;)

Good question :D I'm also starting to feel “floor boredom” and I'm glad this week there was some feet elevated drill, I used my wee pbarz and that made me happy again. I'm so definitely a parallettes girl, I have now idea why but that's how it is.

So now I'm done with the iso detour and back into the main programme and I had a test today, and a tough workout.

Tests:

Partial L (feet elevated) eccentrics => 5-6s

Partial front loaded press => 7 reps

The feet elevated bit was pretty hard. At first my shape was really wrong, I had to shuffle my parallettes, measures distances, watch the ref video a zillion times... Now I think I got roughly the setup but it's still very hard and my elbows tend to flare backward, and when I come up from my knees, my back is doing the dolphin thing. (NB: I did not get back up on all eccentrics, it was just a couple of tests - I won't do that mistake again :D)

Which means I'm too weak for this really but I'll trust the programme... I did get a few eccentrics that were okayish roughly speaking (elbows/back). I think I used to have a stronger lean, or maybe I'm imagining things but pfiuuu it was so hard.

Here is the test video with several rounds of eccentrics where you can see form has problems and I try to fix it, and the last clip is the partial front loaded test on the floor. I can definitely progress on those too. I lose tension at the bottom but I can press back at least.

/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 07 */
0: TEST: partial front loaded press on the floor x5 OK
0: TEST: partial L (elevated) press eccentrics => 6s
0: TEST: partial front loaded press on the floor => 7 reps
1: Eccentrics 4sx3 - 2 sets /* partial L - lots of shuffling about to find right setup + fix form */

Besides eccentrics, there were 2 supersets, with volume on partial front loaded on the floor + swiss ball stuff, and another with plank leans and bent arm carries. Pretty long workout. The shuffling about for the right setup took some time too.

• Like 3