• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

@mu

Mu is prepping for HSPUs

That is awesome. My arms shake when I'm just trying to do a wall assisted handstand. You make the handstand push up prep look easy... well not easy but doable. Your challenges are always inspiring to me!

On 6/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, GoodDoug said:

That is awesome. My arms shake when I'm just trying to do a wall assisted handstand. You make the handstand push up prep look easy... well not easy but doable. Your challenges are always inspiring to me!

Thanks! Keep calm and and handstand on 🖖 😀

For what's it's worth, I still get shakes sometimes in HS, and fear as well. And I have been training them every single week for ... wow 3 years already, time flies! I'm not sure it's reassuring :P But I know I have made a lot of progress when I look where I started from.

Last workout for this challenge. I tried to lean a bit more in L eccentrics. I'm still too weak for that one, back and elbows are trying to cheat as hard as they can the little buggers. But I did the whole thing.

/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 02 */
1: Eccentrics 10sx4 - 3 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */ 
2: Eccentrics 10sx5 - 3 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */ 
/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 03 */
1: Eccentrics 10sx5 10sx4 10sx5 10sx5 /* partial front loaded on the floor, a few reps at 8-9s */ 
2: Eccentrics 10sx5 10sx5 10sx5 10sx4 /* partial front loaded on the floor */ 
/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 04 */
0: TEST: front loaded head to floor x5 FAIL (0)
1: Iso 10sx5 - 3 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */
2: Iso 10sx5 - 4 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */
/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 05 */
1: Iso 10sx5 - 4 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor */
/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 06  - DELOAD */
1: Iso 10sx5 - 4 sets /* partial front loaded on the floor, a few reps at 8-9s */
/* Phase 1 - Level 1 - Week 07 */
0: TEST: partial front loaded press on the floor x5 OK
0: TEST: partial L (elevated) press eccentrics => 6s
0: TEST: partial front loaded press on the floor => 7 reps
1: Eccentrics 4sx3 - 2 sets /* partial L - lots of shuffling about to find right setup + fix form */
2: Eccentrics 4sx3 - 3 sets /* partial L - still form issues */

So I will keep at it in the next challenge!

Let's have a wee review:

The good:

• I followed the PLAN
  • I feel progress on partial front loaded pike presses, definitely. I'm still not reaching my head to the floor but I have moved from tough eccentrics to volume work and I feel the difference compared to my very first test on that progression.
  • After HSPU sessions, I do side split training and light HS work (not logged here). The first few weeks, that was really hard because my shoulders were DEAD (pressing on eccentrics probably did not help :P ). And the flex training gave me terrible leg shakes in HS :D So I was doing very little, just a few hops to balance a wee bit on those "floor" days. That was it. But this week it was fine. After both sessions, I did some endurance work and shoulders were ok with that. So recovery is much better too :)

The bad:

• Compared to P2 times, I feel that I have lost some strength, in both bent arms and forward lean. Is it golden-age-that-never-existed nostalgia? Maybe. But there is this funny thing that when I press into HS for instance, I use very very little lean. I have been getting away with it by increasing my compression and by cheating some (in press to HS, by lifting one foot first a tad bit). In press to HS, I'm now working on UNDOING that cheat and leaning more. And I feel this is the same problem I'm seeing in L-elevated eccentrics. Not enough lean strength. So here we go. I need to get that lean. And to do that I'm re-introducing some crane work in my other workouts.

The ugly:

• Not too bad actually, I respected reps and hold times, with a few fails here and there but that's to be expected when you train quite close to 1RPM. And I've gained a bit of form awareness (pike presses are so technical). Like, I know when my back wants to cheat. The elbow cheats (side and back flares) are a bit harder to feel but I'm watching out.

So happy with this challenge. It's a bit hard mentally at times because strength gains always take time. But I want to do this. So see you next challenge :D

I have 2 weeks left in Phase 1 level 1, and I will move on to level 2 - which I think is pretty much the same but working towards harder progressions. Phase 2 is about chest to wall HSPU and Phase 3 is free standing. But those won't happen next challenge, maybe in 2 challenges or so, inshallah...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, @mu said:
  • So recovery is much better too :)

Nice! That's a great sign, you're both getting stronger AND building work capacity. Great job as always!

• Like 1

Amazing work and consistency :) 

On 6/14/2020 at 10:00 AM, @mu said:

And I've gained a bit of form awareness (pike presses are so technical). Like, I know when my back wants to cheat. The elbow cheats (side and back flares) are a bit harder to feel but I'm watching out.

Best stuff right! Even if maybe it sometimes makes you feel like you're not quite as strong? 

• Like 1