• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman: Going Cold Turkey... mostly

Last challenge was yet another in the long line of fails I have had as of late. Hell, as of the last year even. That all changes here! At least I certainly hope so haha 

I have done cold turkey style in the past. and it seemed to work for me. A few times I have tried baby step it. Sometimes that works too. Really though, I feel fed up. I'm ready to get this going, so I'm mostly just going cold turkey.

Goal#1 - Full on Keto, Tracking, and Fasting

I've prepped a bit over the last week to make sure I get things setup to go full keto starting tomorrow. I'm not worried about calories so much, but I want to make sure to track carbs. I'm also going back into intermittent fasting. Week 0 I think 16/8 works nice. I'd actually like to try a longer fast first week. Like 72 hours or more.

9 points (3 each) per day 63 points per week. 

Goal#2 - Reading and sleeping

I haven't read in awhile, and many bedtimes have ranged in the 3-4:30 am range. Add on I go to bed, then sit there not sleeping forever. So let's get this started up again. I need to get this sleep schedule going. Plus I'll sleep better as I lose wait again haha. The one night I will be up a bit later is Saturday night. I just need to get to bed asap there.

11 PM, off the computer to get reading. Get myself headed to be by 12. Eventually, I will move the times up, but this is good for now. Saturday's, I'll ready for 15-30 minutes, then hit the sack. Still should be close to 12. 

4 points total per day. 28 per week. 

Goal#3 - Move that body

This whole quarantine I have done diddly squat for any kind of exercise. Actually, I did do one small walk around my apartment complex last challenge. Man, I can tell just how out of shape I have become. bringing in groceries has been my workout ever couple of weeks or so haha.

My plan is to walk every day. I'm not jumping into 10k steps right away. I want to start off with at least one walk in the morning around the complex. I'm also in need of doing some workouts. 3 times a week. No gym. I have some dumbbells here at home I can use. There are also so many body weight workouts that can be done. Eventually, I will get the weight down enough that I can get to use my rings and pullup bars for things too ;) 

5 points per day for walking. 35 points per week.

10 points per day of workouts. 3 workouts each week 30 points total.

65 points per week

Goal#4 - Chores and more

I'm stuck at home, why not actually get some chores done. There is plenty of things I can do. Spend at least 15 minutes doing chores. Check the dishes each day. Clean out the cat box each day. Start going though my boxes of cards and computers things. Get rid of all the things I don't need. Maybe I can get my stuff all cleaned through, then I can put together my lego sets that have been sitting here on the sidelines. :)

5 points per day. 35 points per week.

Side Goal - Take 10 minutes to myself everyday

I thought of getting some meditation in or some kind of mental health time in on this challenge. The apartment is packed full of actiity now with us all in stay atr hoem oprders. The youngest has zoom meetings with his classmates to do some distance learning, wife is also working at home and in meetings and such. I think part of why I have been staying up so late at night, is because it is that me time. Granted all day really is me time, but everyone is just around. Walking will help me a bit with this, but I think I just need to give myself 10 minutes each day. Lock myself in a bathroom or whatever. Sit, reflect, maybe practice a little meditation to help center myself. No points, just somethign I thought to toss in here last minute ;)

I'm going to need to make sure I start checking back in here as well. Maybe I need to restart posting in my Blog. Maybe even do it video style on Youtube. Overall, check in here and check out all the stuff with Nerdfitness prime. Things to help keep me in check. 

I really want this to be the restart I need to get me back on the path to reaching my future goals. I need to be getting that pull up done. I want to run again. Eventually, getting to 10k or 15k distance. I want to get close to that onederland weight level. I think that 185 - 200 lbs is the range I would probably be good at. BMI I think want me at a max of 165. I can't even imagine how I would look if I went for that weight.

Week 1 (05/10 - 05/16) - 0/191

Week 2 (05/17 - 05/23) - 0/191

Week 3 (05/24 - 05/30) - 0/191

Week 4 (05/31 - 06/06) - 0/191

Week 5 (06/07 - 06/13) - 0/191

Total Challenge Points -  0/955

Measurements: (Week 0 / End of Challenge)

Chest - 56.49 in / 

Waist - 61.73 i n/

Bicep (L) - 17.12 in / 

Bicep (R) - 16.33 in / 

Thigh (L) - 29.96 in / 

Thigh (R) - 29.37 in / 

Weight - 368.7 lbs / 

• Like 4

Welcome back :). I like your combination of cold-turkey style diet, and baby-steps exercise. 

Being in an apartment all  day with your entire family sounds very hard, and I don't blame you for letting your sleeping times slip. I agree that some me-time during the day might help your sleep-schedule, my boyfriend and I are also aware that sometimes we need more distance from each other and just be in separate rooms. Communication is key here, especially if you have fewer rooms than people. Sitting in the bathroom for 10 minutes doesn't even sound like a crazy plan, now that I think about it ;).

• Like 2

Welcome back! Great goals, especially for grabbing some me time, it's so tricky in a packed house. I had a long period of sloth so I'm also starting slow with exercise, be right there with you!

• Like 2

I hear you on the late night me-time! It’s an easy trap to fall into when everything is so bonkers. 

• Like 2

Following.  I totally get the "I have me time all day, but everyone is here too". Hope you find some quiet time for you

• Like 2

So far the week has been going ok. No exercise, but I have gotten out on a few little walks. Had one bad day of eating (meaning a went a few carbs over, ate late at night) I've done some chores too. One night, I went to bed late (The overeating night)

Sleeping has been getting better I think. The other night though it sucked really back. I got to bed by midnight. Then whatever dream I had woke me up at 1:30. I don't know if it was adrenaline or what, but my brain was in high speed mode, and I did not get back to sleep. I tried to concentrate on breathing, but nothing worked.

I've also been tracking my blood sugar levels once a day. The numbers are getting better. So that's good.

Still not finding the 10 minutes to myself time yet, though I kind of do when I go walk I suppose.

I am going to have to get myself to check in more often. I'm too much in the "This is week 0, so there are no points to count etc" haha

• Like 4

It's great that you're starting to see some small results already after such a short time :).

14 hours ago, Tateman said:

So far the week has been going ok. No exercise, but I have gotten out on a few little walks.

I know what you mean, but walking does count as exercise in my book ;). It's light intensity, but it still gets you moving around and not sitting.

I'm looking forward to your more regular check-ins!

• Like 2

For my "Soak up the sun" is really I go outside and find a spot to sit outside and just have a minute. I am sitting on the herb bed wall, but it gives me 5-10 minutes of being alone. Maybe that would work. Take your tablet or something and find a place outside you can sit while everyone else is doing work or school?

And walks totally count as exercise. It is a use of your body that is not 0 therefore it counts.

• Like 2

OK, been really bad on checking in haha.

Sleep this week has been so so. I'm not getting to bed on time, and haven't read every night. two days I was up way later, the rest have been close to time at least.

There was some excitement in our complex this week. On Wednesday night, we heard all kids of fire trucks and other sirens going off. My wife has an app that let's her know the local emergencies etc. So she tells me it is for our apartment complex. We saw firetrucks zooming by our place. So we figured we should investigate. Across on the other side of the complex there was fire. Reports I have seen said carport fire. I assume one of the two cars there caught fire. That sent flames up to the apartments above. No injuries, but 14 people are displaced.

Thursday was bug barrier treatment day. Every 6 months or so, we have to move everything in the apartment away from the walls. Plus unplug everything from the outlets. It's a massive pain, but this time at least we didn't have to leave. They used some soy based product that is safe for humans and pets. Still, a weird thing to happen while we are all still under order to shelter in place. The first come to remove all the plates from the outlets and light switches. Then they come do the treatments. Afterwards they come put the plates back on. Then we get to move everything again. We had our masks on each time they came in, and pretty much kept our distance. The whole thing took 6 or so hours, not counting moving all the things. We got up at 6:45 am to start moving things. The cleaning and such took place on Wednesday night ;) We were mostly done by 6pm. Pretty much an all day hassle. 

For for exercise this week, I did go out like 3 times just for a very quick walk. I didn't do any "workouts" technically. But, I consider all that work yesterday as a workout. Moving heavy furniture all around and all. The wife and I also took down some heavy furniture the day before. Moving that down stairs isn't easy either. So in reality, I did have a couple of workouts this week. It just wasn't do x number of squats haha.

Foodwise, I have been going strong on Keto. Not everyday has been a perfect 16 hour fast, but still good enough. I am still seeing better numbers when I test my blood sugar. I have dropped a lot of weight too. One thing I have really noticed though, was that the swelling in my legs has gone down so much. I know I was retained tones of water, and my legs were showing it. There has been a vast improvement there the last week.

I haven't specifically taken time for myself, But I have kinda been doing that in the mornings. Like taking some time in bed to just read whatever on the phone. 

I'll have to take a closer look to scoring the week, but it probably won't be the best. I do feel like I am moving in the right direction though to getting healthier.

• Like 8

I'm glad that you're alright, and that the fire wasn't at your side of the complex. Also yay for already having gotten the bug-barrier treatment, so that there won't be an infestation again!

On 5/15/2020 at 9:20 PM, Tateman said:

Foodwise, I have been going strong on Keto. Not everyday has been a perfect 16 hour fast, but still good enough. I am still seeing better numbers when I test my blood sugar. I have dropped a lot of weight too. One thing I have really noticed though, was that the swelling in my legs has gone down so much. I know I was retained tones of water, and my legs were showing it. There has been a vast improvement there the last week.

I also hadn't realised that you could retain so much water, good job on maintaining keto and getting rid of some of the excess water. Do you also feel you can move more easily again now that you're not carrying around that extra weight? 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:20 PM, Tateman said:

I do feel like I am moving in the right direction though to getting healthier.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Sorry everyone. I swear I can't get through a challenge now without some damn crisis happening. Of which, I drop all things and emotionally eat my way through the next few weeks.

The current new crisis is my brother is homeless. He was also threatening to kill himself for a few days. I'll give a brief rundown. (haha brief, warning this is a bit long!)

So my brother lives about 4 hours south of me. My sister lives a a bit close to him, but still and hour or hour and a half or so. I'm the oldest kid. Mom died in 2010. A few years back my Dad said some shittier things about my Mom, and my brother retaliated back by saying shit to my Dad's current wife. Then proceeded to say he was dead to him etc. They don't talk. They hate to ever hear my sister or I say it, but they are so much like each other. 

Years back when I still lived at home, I bought a door lock for my door. My Brother would steal everything, and claim not too. He was into drugs pretty bad. Of course he always claimed he never was. It was this way for years. Even when I first got married, we moved back in with my Mom when me went back down there. It helped us with starting off, and my Mom got to be with her grand kid quite a bit. Anyhow, my brother was always still a shithead. Screens from the sinks would go missing because he used them for whatever makeshift pipe shit he made. I put notes in his homemade bongs to tell him that shit can't be in the house with my kid being there. Eventually, we moved out.

After my Mom died, he was still hooked on shit, but eventually met a lady. He moved in with her, and seemed to get off everything. They were still very poor, but they made it work. Well, he recently must have gotten back into some more shit. There are other factors that were going on as well. In the end, he got kicked out. They had one kid together, and she had kids from previous relationships. 

So he gets kicked out. His friend calls my sister first. She says to check into shelters there. Smallish town, but they still have one shelter. You need to be clean. The friend told my sister that they had been tweaking a couple of days prior. My brother asks to see if she can come get him. He lived with my sister after my Mom died, and things were not pretty. My sister says she can't do that. He calls me to ask the same. At the time, I had no vehicle that could really make the drive. Needed brakes and tires, but had to wait for a shop to open up. I told him it wasn't possible for me to get there, and it wasn't possible for him to live at my place. 

I can not put my family though the shit that I know will eventually happen with him. Plus, my wife is the only one working now. We barely make it up here as it is with our family of 4.

Then my brother starts talking suicide. "I'm sorry that I am going to have to do this" is the last thing he throws out at me at the end of one conversation. With how the conversation ended, I called the local police. One of my Sister-in-laws is in the area too. She offers to take him a blanket and some food at least. The police show up, and my brother calls me when they show up. Angrily telling me to tell them to go away. He tells them that he isn't going to harm himself. They give him a card that has numbers to call. I hear all this, because I am on the phone while they are there. I'm telling them that they are there to help. He doesn't want to listen. Eventually he hangs up with me.

There are some other texts. My sister-in-law gives him the blanket and food. The next day he tells me that he can't do this. "Cremate me like Mom" I call the police again. There isn't much they can do if I don't know where he is, but they will look for him. He calls again to say he left all his stuff at the park, and is going to kill himself after he sees his daughter at 12:30.  I call the cops back and let them know this too. So he should be at his old house at 12:30. They say the same thing. (I don't know if they actually did anything this day) I call his now ex girlfriend and leave her a message. I wanted to know what he is telling us. I assume she is going to be there when he shows up, and should know his state of mind. I also blast it all out on his facebook page for hopeful help from his local friends etc.

After the meeting with his kid, I don't hear anything from anyone for a few hours. Eventually, my brother calls to say he is going to do it for his kid. He will face whatever.

A few days later, he is once again telling me he don't think he can do it. My sister sent him money for a hotel, and I ordered pizza to be delivered.

All of this was going on during the week. I spent many hours trying to look up shelters or whatever help I could find for him. The problem is he didn't want to do anything for himself. To get into the shelter I think requires being clean, and it requires him to call the number each day to see if he can get in. He acted like this was too much to have to deal with. I told him there are churches there. He can call those numbers the cops gave him. There are options available. He just has to want to work for them.

I heard from him a couple of days ago asking for me to buy him some pizza. (I can't trust to send him cash)

So over all this happening, there is many tears. Many calls of my talking to my sister. There is also me feeling like the worst person in the world. How can I not bring my brother here to live to at least give him a roof over his head. Even though we don't have the money, how can I not try to send money to my brother to help him out. Despite me knowing exactly why I can't, I still feel this way. I've spent many nights up looking for tools to help him. Even nights I haven't I have stayed up nights, because my brain makes me feel shitty. I play games or watch videos to distract myself.

I've gone on full emotional eating 110%. Don't know what I weigh right now, but it is too much. I can't stand being this big. I have been very much in my mind about how ashamed I am to be like this again. Like we went to go see my Sister in law, and my sister this last week. I didn't want to go, because I don't want people to see me like this. I'm afraid of places opening back up, and people seeing how I am now.  

Before all this, I actually did have a day I did some exercise. Found out my right arm is messed up more then I thought. It has been tweaked since right around lock down time. No idea what I did. No idea if I could be able to bowl. I need to make a doctors appointment I suppose 😛 

So this has been my life over the last few weeks. That being said, I am finding my way back to starting over again. I have enough food around to at the very least get me there for that. I needed to get out and walk each day. Even is it is just for 5 minutes or something. I get too winded to quick haha. Workouts would be great, but my arm isn't so much having it. 

Sorry to not have been around. Hopefully, everyone else had good success this challenge. Maybe this next one, I'll be able to figure out something to work for me. Even with whatever life crisis to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/22/2020 at 7:29 AM, Waanie said:

I'm glad that you're alright, and that the fire wasn't at your side of the complex. Also yay for already having gotten the bug-barrier treatment, so that there won't be an infestation again!

I also hadn't realised that you could retain so much water, good job on maintaining keto and getting rid of some of the excess water. Do you also feel you can move more easily again now that you're not carrying around that extra weight? 

giphy.gif

So this last week and a half, the first trucks have been outside my apartment 3 times haha. Once in fire gear checking an apartment across and down from us. No idea what they were checking. The other two times, they were there for medical stuff I guess.

And for the water retention, yes. Even still being bigger, I felt much better without all the swelling. Now I am all bloated up again. I actually had a thought to take some measurements, and take pictures of my messed up legs. I can use them as reminders as to why I don't like being like this.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear you've been going through so much strife. I really hope your brother accepts the help he needs. In the meantime please be kind to yourself; you do not deserve to feel bad about your body no matter what.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear you've been going through so much strife. I really hope your brother accepts the help he needs. In the meantime please be kind to yourself; you do not deserve to feel bad about your body no matter what.

Yeah, I had a talk with my family out here about all this with my brother. I can provide all the tools I can, but he has to be the one to follow up. Even the shelter wouldn't let me give them his information. He has to be the one to call.

For my body, I feel like I have the two forces in my head waging war. I tell myself all the good things about myself. Accept the situation and move forward. That other side just likes to creak in anyway. haha. I just have to turn the tide toward healthy brain, and take away the power that unhealthy brain has amassed. 

• Like 2

Families. Blergh. I think very very few really lucky people have good families. And it doesn’t take much to turn things really bad. Hang in there and it was good to hear from you again. Go walking and eating healthier again.

• Like 1

Wow. That is a lot to be dealing with. We’re here if you need to vent, and obviously here for support challenge-wise. ❤️

(Autocorrect tried to say “we’re here for supper” which sounds awesome but also complicated.) 

• Like 2