• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

iatetheyeti

iatetheyeti: reflect and refresh

Spoiler

I don't know how I put a spoiler here or why I can't seem to delete it... 

To say this year has not gone to plan would be a colossal understatement. There have been many unexpected turns, and yet somehow things have found a kind of balance. Yes, I've suffered through less than ideal circumstances, but the good that's happened has been equal to that. Life, however, continues to be unpredictable, and that's why I've come creeping back to the Rangers. I spent a lot of time hiding out with the Druids and the Assassins, and that's done me good, but my current direction calls for another change. 

... what that direction is however, I do not know. 

What I do know is that this struggle has not been for nothing. And I also know that if I allow myself to slip back into complacency then I will remain stagnant. I have the means, motivation, and time to put serious effort into improving myself, improving my fitness, improving my way of life. I'm not the person I was even two or three months ago, much less the person I was last year, and that's a change I welcome and will encourage as best I can. It'll be a bit of a scattered approach to begin with as I find my footing, but over the coming months I'm hoping to figure things out. 

Goal One: The Houseplant Principle
It's easy. For a plant to grow, it needs the right fuel. Sunlight, water, maybe some plant food, and kind words. I need to relearn the basics to help me grow. This is stuff I should be aiming for on a daily basis. 

• Sunlight: I started going out for daily walks again a few weeks back and my therapist is delighted and insistent I continue. Even if the weather isn't great, out I go
  • Hydration: Two litre minimum, at least half must be water
  • Food: Three meals per day. No limitations as lock down limitations have taken many choices from me
  • Kind words: My default is negative. My default is to blame and berate myself. While I can't stop that cold, I can catch it and question it. It's far from a measurable goal, but something to aim for regardless

Goal Two: The Scout Variant
I live next to a forest now. That makes me incredibly happy. It also makes a convenient location to walk and run. The former I have no issue with, the latter I've been avoiding. Well, no more. But we'll start small. 

• Two runs per week. 6km minimum distance in total, so 3km per run, which makes for a manageable target

Goal Three: The Once Per Day Rule
And this is where all other exercise goes. There must be some form of exercise done every day. It doesn't have to be a full workout by any means, especially if it's a day I'm running, but it has to be something. Yoga, bodyweight work, lifting, mobility, kettlebells, anything. I'm not all that bothered about progression right now, I'm aiming to keep myself moving and figure out what my body is happiest doing. 

• Whatever is done must be tracked. Written notes to be taken at the time, summary to be posted with update

Goal Four: The Talking Method
Self-isolation has ever been a damaging coping mechanism for me. Then the country went into lock down and that became my way of life against my will. And I found my voice in a way I have never experienced before. I can't take all the credit for that, I had a lot of help, but it happened and I don't want to lose that. So I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing away from here and just add the forums back in by way of daily check-ins. I'll try for every morning until such time as I get broadband back, which isn't until June. Limited to phone data until then, which isn't great. Also not having much fun trying to post using my phone, I've yet to get the hang of it! 

Not-Quite-a-Goal Five: The List
Not only do I have a small collection of projects and things that I want to do, but I basically live in a building site right now and I am absolutely loving it. Nothing is finished and there is always something to do. Admittedly I'm limited by this extended lock down, but there is no reason I can't actually put some thought into the progression of The List. Again, not something really measurable, but it will help me keep track of what I'm doing and when and how. For the moment I've tried to narrow it down to things I can do during the lock down. So far I have the following:

• Finish painting the living room walls. They've had one coat, they need a second
  • Sand down the skirting board, door, anything that's been given a coating of glossy of plain white paint
  • Buy and paint at least one bookcase. Currently 300+ books are stacked on the floor
  • Check all bathrooms, reseal if needed
  • Fix the commuter bike or build a Frankenbike hybrid, something that will be enough to get me to and from work
  • Sort out bins, ensure all recycling bins are cleared of rubbish left by the previous tenants and other people
  • Get rid of the endless piles of cardboard overwhelming the hall and kitchen
  • Find or buy drill parts, put up the bedroom curtain rail
  • Modify bedroom curtains to make them blackout or near enough
  • Repot plants and rearrange so everyone gets the amount of sunlight they need
  • Finish sofa blanket (also acquire a sofa) 
  • Organise workspace, go through paperwork and destroy what doesn't need to be kept
  • Fix desktop computer, salvage working parts of it's beyond repair
  • Sort out the odds and ends box as best as possible with the current limited storage options

List to be amended as needed. 

And that's that. Simple goals, some more guidelines than anything else, for an admittedly complicated time of life. I'm starting from zero week (and measuring my weeks from Monday to Sunday) as I think it's for the best that I don't delay. 

• Like 8

Good to see you here!

9 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

it's for the best that I don't delay. 

Those few words give me so much faith in you coming out better at the end of this challenge. You got this!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back to the Ranger Corps!

Thanks Tank! It's good to be back. 

12 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Good to see you here!

Those few words give me so much faith in you coming out better at the end of this challenge. You got this!

I really hope I do, that's certainly what I'm aiming for anyway! 

12 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

ExSI0F.gif

Yeti! So good to see you back. If I can help support you in anyway I will :) 

Thanks, it's good to be back! I have no idea what I'll need in the way of support, but I know I'll need it nonetheless. 

• Like 2

Update for the 4th
Yesterday was reasonably quiet. It needed to be, I spent the morning recovering from a headache that had assailed me the day before and didn't get properly started until mid-afternoon. 

I did get my sunlight, eventually. Took a short walk along one of the shorter forest tracks and got a good dose of nature. Hydration was alright, not as much water as I'd aimed for, but better than nothing. Food was good though. I've taken to having breakfast a couple of hours after getting up, and found that granola, fruit, and a little yoghurt sits quite well with me. Lunch was leftovers, chicken and chickpea vegetable salad. Dinner was tuna and veg pasta.

The real surprise was my attitude. Not only was I in a genuinely good mood once my headache cleared up, but I was filled with a self confidence I have never experienced before. I was in fine form, didn't doubt or look down on myself, and was actually very upbeat and positive about things. It's a version of myself I'm entirely unfamiliar with, but it's a version I like very much. 

No run yesterday. 

I had intended on yoga, but that didnt happen. What happened instead was a small amount of stretching. While it is better than nothing, it's not a habit I intend to enforce. If I say I'll do something, I need to do it. For example today I will do a yoga session and a little bit of mobility work on my wrists. 

Update done! 

I did manage to clear out my workspace properly, so my desk is usable. Today I'll go through the reams of paperwork and get rid of what doesn't need to be kept. 

Plans for today are simple. I've got some housework needing doing, yoga to get done, a walk to take that needs to end in a trip to the shops, and few other bits and pieces. I'm also going to make some time this evening to read through some challenge threads and catch up with folks. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Thanks, it's good to be back! I have no idea what I'll need in the way of support, but I know I'll need it nonetheless. 

I don't think we ever really know what we need in the way of support. If we did finding it wouldn't be so hard :) Anyway I can certainly tell you that you are free to hit me up if you ever want to chat. No internet required. If you ever want to just shoot a text conversation my way I'll be happy for the interaction! I'm not sure I've got much to talk about besides Dungeons and Dragons but hey such is life in quarantine. I can talk about the singing lessons Heather is giving me :lol: .

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I don't think we ever really know what we need in the way of support. If we did finding it wouldn't be so hard :) Anyway I can certainly tell you that you are free to hit me up if you ever want to chat. No internet required. If you ever want to just shoot a text conversation my way I'll be happy for the interaction! I'm not sure I've got much to talk about besides Dungeons and Dragons but hey such is life in quarantine. I can talk about the singing lessons Heather is giving me :lol: .

You're not wrong there, that's for sure. And I appreciate the offer, any interaction during these times is good!

Update for the 5th
Most of my days follow the same kind of pattern and have done since I was signed off work. Yesterday was no exception. The routine is, I think, working well for me, and I think it's helping me make sense of time as well, even if I regularly forget what day of the week it is... 

Took a longer walk to get in my sunshine yesterday. Collected a quartet of wonderfully massive pinecones and a stubby branch of dead and dried wood that will work wonderfully for a future craft project. Hydration was good, plenty of water consumed. Food was also good, granola breakfast, meat, veg, and cheese rolls for lunch, and a well earned steak dinner. The self confident streak continued also, though the majority of the kind words did not come from me and, while they did inspired a little uncertainty that had me admitting I wasn't sure I was worthy of such descriptions, I was assured otherwise. And surprisingly that was something I could believe.

No run yesterday. 

Yoga kicked my sorry behind yesterday. It was a relatively short session, but it was more active than I predicted and I did have to modify many of the moves as I'm a little out of practice. Very short wrist mobility session was also done. Will do another yoga session today and some mobility work focusing on my legs. 

Update done! My intentions to catch up last night were somewhat derailed by a long phone call and subsequent early bedtime, but I don't regret that at all. It just means I'll do my catching up this morning instead. 

Aside from general housework, mostly I worked on my sofa blanket. It's the easiest thing to do whilst on the phone, and that was where I spent a lot of yesterday. My knitting is getting faster now as a consequence. 

Planning a distinctly lazy day today. Yes, I'll be doing some yoga and housework, and every now and then I suspect I will have to stretch out my poor, suffering legs, but aside from that I would like to do nothing but read, play some Skyrim, knit, catch up here, and, once I've cleaned the debris of last night's cooking efforts, thoroughly destroy the kitchen with tonight's cooking efforts. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:
The self confident streak continued also, though the majority of the kind words did not come from me and, while they did inspired a little uncertainty that had me admitting I wasn't sure I was worthy of such descriptions, I was assured otherwise. And surprisingly that was something I could believe.

This is really great to hear; glad you're doing well Yeti.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jarric said:

This is really great to hear; glad you're doing well Yeti.

It's been a long time coming, and I think a lot of it is down to the current therapy I'm undergoing and the medication I'm on. I feel more confident about my ability to sustain it now, though. 

• Like 2

Hey, girl, heeeeeeyyyy!!! I have been ruminating about how much I miss your neck of the woods and I swear it’s the first place I’m going as soon as all of this mess is over. 

Good to see you back! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chickie.monkey said:

Hey, girl, heeeeeeyyyy!!! I have been ruminating about how much I miss your neck of the woods and I swear it’s the first place I’m going as soon as all of this mess is over. 

Good to see you back! 

Hey hey! Yes, I'd have to agree, you really do need to come back over here when this mess is done with! 

Update for the 6th

What a day. I had plans. I stuck to those plans. And I surprised myself in a good way. 

No walk today as my daily outing was used up elsewhere, still managed to get some sunshine in the form of a beautiful sunrise though. Hydration was on point. Food was plentiful. Due to exercise reasons I was incredibly hungry, enough so that five meals were consumed instead of three. Had some success with the kind words today too, there were some moments of self doubt, but I talked through them and ended up with a more reasonable stance on things. 

I got up at 5am purely because I did not want to face people while I ran. The route I had planned went into the forest a short way, but I didn't managed the full thing. What I did do was run a solid single kilometre uphill at the very start, then spent the next half km alternating running and walkingka until I got to the forest car park. There I died briefly, and in doing so decided that perhaps I should not push on. So I took it easy on the way back, alternating a very slow run with walking. I then had to lie on the floor for a while when I got in. But 3km in 28 minutes is not far off where I used to be, so I am very happy with what I've done and will be repeating things on Saturday. 

Yoga kicked my ass again. Turns out it was lower body based, so there I was attempting the chair pose with already shaky legs... I pushed thorough best I could. 

Update done, and a moderate amount of catching up done.

I had my lazy day yesterday. Nothing on the list was worked on. Instead I read, divided a good amount of time between playing Motorstorm and Fallout 3, and had a thoroughly good time doing some batch cooking. 

Today will not be quite so lazy. I intend on taking a long walk to stretch out my poor, aching legs, and I'll do some mobility work on them also. May or may not do yoga, depending on how it goes. I'm also going to put some time into The List as well. 

• Like 2

Update for the... 

Yesterday wasn't exactly a good day. I don't know if it's the newly grey and miserable weather or something else entirely, but I got an unpleasant reminder that while I may be having more good days than bad right now, I am by no means recovered. 

I have been getting out. One day I took a very long walk, and the other I had to go into the city for a weekly shop. I'd do it online if I could secure a delivery spot. Hydration has been decent, I'm getting better at balancing out the water and not-water drinks! Food has been very good, three plus meals daily, and a good balance of veg in there. The whole kind words concept took a bit of a beating yesterday, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

No running either day. 

Mostly stretching and mobility work done over the past couple of days. Did not write anything down when I really should have. 

Update done, finally. I'm a little lacking in presence around here at the moment, but I'll get back into the swi g of things eventually. 

I have no idea what I've accomplished over the past couple of days. Not much, I think. 

Today I need to drag myself back on track. Yes, I'm tired, and yes, I'm still not feeling great mood-wise, but keeping busy will prevent me from feeling worse. It might even bring my mood up to a more pleasant level. 

Update for the 9th

It was a long, long day yesterday, and that's had some consequences for today already. 

No walk yesterday. Hydration was really good and mostly water, and food was equally good. Kind words not so much, but I am at least investing and trying to find the root of issues. 

I almost didn't run. I felt like crap and didn't want to, but in the end I hauled myself up and got to it. It resulted in my fastest starting km to date, which is all the better for it being all uphill! The second km was stop and start because I went off far too quickly to begin with. The third was also a continuous run, but at a far slower pace. I think I'm getting the hang of this, and weirdly I'm looking forward to my next run, which will be Tuesday. 

Completely fell down with this yesterday. I think my mood got to me, but in the future when that happens I need to at least try something small. 

Update done. 

Mood got to this too, amount to some knitting done and not much else. Same principles apply to this too, try little things. 

Today I need to drag myself back on track for sure. I have a rough plan of what to do and while I don't need to stick to it exactly, I do need to use it as a guide. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I almost didn't run. I felt like crap and didn't want to, but in the end I hauled myself up and got to it. It resulted in my fastest starting km to date, which is all the better for it being all uphill! The second km was stop and start because I went off far too quickly to begin with. The third was also a continuous run, but at a far slower pace. I think I'm getting the hang of this, and weirdly I'm looking forward to my next run, which will be Tuesday. 

Nice work Yeti :) You are approaching this in a good way. Don't ever feel bad about stopping to walk. You aren't doing yourself any wrong whatsoever by doing that. It's perfectly possible (and surprisingly common) to have a long term running plan with built in walk breaks and still make the kind of improvements you want to see. It took me a very long time to start actually enjoy running and when it happened it sort of took me by surprise. I never expected it. I'm not built to be a runner lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I think I'm getting the hang of this, and weirdly I'm looking forward to my next run, which will be Tuesday. 

That's really good news :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Nice work Yeti :) You are approaching this in a good way. Don't ever feel bad about stopping to walk. You aren't doing yourself any wrong whatsoever by doing that. It's perfectly possible (and surprisingly common) to have a long term running plan with built in walk breaks and still make the kind of improvements you want to see. It took me a very long time to start actually enjoy running and when it happened it sort of took me by surprise. I never expected it. I'm not built to be a runner lol. 

I don't feel bad about walking, I'm just a little peeved that I didn't pace myself properly to begin with. That's another lesson learned for me though. Heh, I don't think I'm built to be a runner either! 

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

That's really good news :)

It's better than I was expecting at this stage, anyway. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

I don't feel bad about walking, I'm just a little peeved that I didn't pace myself properly to begin with. That's another lesson learned for me though. Heh, I don't think I'm built to be a runner either! 

Yeah there isn't really a wrong way to do this. Just running is what you need to do and the specifics are much less important. What you are doing is great. The improvements just comes from consistently doing it. It's no more or less complex than that. If it helps with pacing try adding in breaks right from the start (preempt them). Honestly pacing is really hard so don't be peeved about that either. It takes practice to get right more than anything else. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah there isn't really a wrong way to do this. Just running is what you need to do and the specifics are much less important. What you are doing is great. The improvements just comes from consistently doing it. It's no more or less complex than that. If it helps with pacing try adding in breaks right from the start (preempt them). Honestly pacing is really hard so don't be peeved about that either. It takes practice to get right more than anything else. 

Yeah, at the moment I'm not really aiming for much other than consistent practice, and that's actually helping in that I'm finding myself better able to pay proper attention to any issues as they come up. Like pacing!

• Like 2

Update for the 10th

It snowed yesterday. It actually snowed. Twice. Not right quite right the way across Scotland though. One of my cousins, who lives about 70ish miles away in the middle of the country, got the same brief sideways snow flurries as I did whereas my girlfriend, who lives a mere three miles away, got blue skies. I love the weather in this country, I really do. 

Very long walk yesterday. Before the snow. I had decided on a short recovery walk and ended up going five miles instead. It was worth it though, I managed to find an area of the forest that matched my mood perfectly. Hydration did take a bit of a hit, but it wasn't awful. Food was pretty good. And I did pretty well with the whole kind words thing despite quite a low mood. 

No run yesterday. 

Mostly stretching. Did some mobility work. Getting better at holding a forward fold with my fingers on the floor. 

Update done. I do need to make some proper time to catch up here properly.

Shuffled the plants about, finished off my workspace as best I could, and added another panel to my blanket. 

I'm likely going to make things up as I go along today. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

whereas my girlfriend, who lives a mere three miles away, got blue skies. I love the weather in this country, I really do. 

Wait a minute, you have a girlfriend? When did that happen? I'm so amazingly out of the loop with everyone right now :( 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Wait a minute, you have a girlfriend? When did that happen? I'm so amazingly out of the loop with everyone right now :( 

I'm entirely out of the loop with everyone too, not to worry. It happened a couple of months ago, though we'd been sort of dancing around it for a lot longer with both of us thinking the other wasn't interested. And then lockdown happened... 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

when it happened it sort of took me by surprise. I never expected it. I'm not built to be a runner lol. 

I can 2nd this. And people that know me still can't believe i run this much now. I was never sporty, couch potato most of my life. On the contrary i bought new running shoes in August, i received a mail from Strava attending me on the fact that it's ideal to replace running shoes when you have had 800-1000km on them. Well last week i received a second mail, that i had gone above 900K since i bought them.

• Like 2