• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

I'm awake!

On 5/19/2020 at 8:29 PM, TGP said:

2 fast mile runs, 100 pullups, 200 pushups and 300 bodyweight squats.

:wow

its amazing!  I hope to pull that of in less than 2 hours.

That is going to be amazing. You can definitely do it! :loyal:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See the source image

the "MURPHY"  may25, 2020  aka "the Terrible pencils..."

ok, first lets set the scene.  this weekend has been very busy; as both chickens and gardening needed lots of attention.  On top of the That; they had me work early mornings on Saturday and Sunday and it was lots of bother.  Regarding Memorial day Monday.. specifically, though the morning was very busy- by the afternoon things were getting very pleasant.  the inlaws were coming over- the grill was burning- a heap of food was planned for a late evening feast...

and it was just generally Wonderful , a great thing to do Before my mighty murphy event.

so after the supper was eaten, the grill was cooled down, and the chickens were settled. it was twilight and the hour of my murphy Had arrived!  6 months of Training (at least!) had all come down to this very moment!  I drove down the park where I had done so Many "tree" pullups- as that Was what I was going to do; 100tree pullups, 200 pushups, 300 bsquats and 2 miles of running.  I had the car radio up and blasting away and the radio was playing the song "I still haven't found what I was looking for by U2!  that song would ring through my head all during the murphy it was PERFECT! background music (ty local music station for playing something so appropriate!)

Ok … the PENCILS (?)

now knowing it was late, and dark. I needed a handy convenient way of counting pullups.  I was going to do them in groups of 5.

20 sets of 5pullups, 10pushups and 15 bodysquats.  so I grabbed 20 pencils.  once you done with a set take a pencil out of your pocket and Voila.  its all properly counted!

anyways, just so you can visualize all this. (once the run was over), I would do my 5/10/15 near one tree then.. walk to another; using the walk as recovery. 

so cue the music (booming in my head) and I'm OFF!  a mile run that was not bother. it wasn't a fast run, but, eh. a murphy is a LONG but thing, right?  the Point (at first, particularly) try to Stave off fatigue- especially at first!  and it worked... well for a while

6 pencils in

that's when I started feeling it. frankly.  and the sucky thing about 6 pencils in is that once you start fatigue,  you kind of hope your pocket is nearly empty of pencils and there is still many, MANY pencils left.  make the recovery a little longer; pretend to turn up U2 in my HEAD and imagine them blasting the park with that song as my arms started aching.  and just never never give up.

Should I Change anything?

so... the big mental game. the arms start to hurt and you wonder.  should I wimp up and change to chin-ups? should I do more than 5 pullups at once??  No and No! (especially the last one).  we're Going to do 100 pullups and NO cheating- and regarding more the 5. ah NO. it just brings on fatigue Faster; we MUST stave off fatigue. slow and steady 'Wins' the pencils. 

you know the Mind game.

"I STILL haven't found what I looking for!..." (love that beat)

Woo! where did all the pencils GO?

and suddenly, it seemed that I had almost NO pencils left?!  OMG, 3 pencils ! WOW- I'm gonna do this!  Whats a murphy anyways; I'm nearly DONEE.... big excitement though my shoulders and arms are torqued. finally, finally! just a mile run as my pile of pencils and empty pocket has meant that I've done the implausible.

I'd LOVE to say that I ran my fastest mile ever.  mmm NO. I was fatigued (big time)! it was my Happiest mile though.  I did the Murphy. YAAYYYY

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

On 5/24/2020 at 12:57 AM, Salinger said:

JASON :)

How are you doing? Miss chatting xx

hello Liz

not been on much during the weekend, have I ?

sorry. very, very busy putting in a garden.  ty for checking in with me.  I'm ok.  I've had a few big workouts!

besides the Murphy yesterday.

on Thursday I did back to back runs.  4 miles in the morning; 13 in the afternoon.  something like 27km in total.

I love pushing myself physically!  the demons can really make life hard; but sometimes during a hard run I feel like I can outrun them!

Haven't talked about sketching much  and frankly I'm still looking for a good chance to work on a drawing.  my last couple attempts were huge failures; they failed my low standards of sketching.  but I think I'm learning, some good lessons about sketching.

and frankly, honestly, in googling about.  NOT many people; professionally or Casually try to draw a forest!  that's surprisingly Rare!  most people focus on People- but this is Just not something that draws me.

I want to better SEE the beauty about me.

I don't want to draw (paint, or depict) portraits.  anyways, the fact that so few people TRY to do it just means the path to doing it might be a little harder. 

I hope to have the chance to try again.  maybe it will actually be good enough to post? or maybe not??

maybe "I still haven't found what I was looking for"... is the theme of my whole LIFE right now!  with a lot of work and effort that has yet been rewarding to me or yielded anything.

but later on - when the vegetables are full grown; my young chickens start to lay; and my sketching and exercise program gets better- maybe THEN I will find what I was looking for.

ok. ha!  enough life lessons from U2.   keep the faith guys!  I'll get back to reading when I get the chance.....

• Like 4

Woohoo!! Congrats on finishing the Murphy. Very impressed how you worked on this on your own and were able to accomplish your goal. Now you just need to figure out what's next.😉

• Like 1

WOOHOO on the Murphy! :congratulatory:

You're a BEAST! 

And pencil counting - wow. I've seen people use abacus in the gym, but this is even simpler 👍

• Thanks 1

btw, made my newest drawing "river"

SkO3Ms4.jpg

VERY challenging!

very hard to get the Negative/Postive objects drawn in properly (the way the leafs seem DARK against the sky but LIGHT against a dark treeline across the river).

anyways. Working on it!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Excellent drawing! Perspective spot on as always... shading brill, reflection lovely. Well done!

I hope you are ok and having a nice week xx

• Like 1

Another sketch today...

Dare I say that it is again very ambitious? BUT the tree on the lower left is all wonky and wrong

bt0brUO.jpg

this is happening a lot in my sketches recently.  I'm drawing from reference photos and sometimes I just don't understand how it truly looks.... meaning the lower left tree seemed to Melt into the rock face (in the photo)

so separating them made sense!  alas that this interpretation on how to do it... didn't work

anyways.  speaking of not going well!

exercise has tanked this week.  very very bad. sleep is all screwed up.  and a major work project needs redone.

alas, life is all screwed up for me! :(

if I were doing that story thing with skip; he'd be suffering horribly right now.  

43058810824_96771b54d5_z.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TGP said:

alas, life is all screwed up for me

Not happy to hear that. But on the other hand - when you hit the bottom, the only way to go is UP!

Life challenges us all the time. If things go "well" and "as planned", the only reasonable conclusion is you forgot about something crucial that goes terribly wrong as we speak. So, maybe it's better to have some good time and some shitty time in life - this way we can appreciate better the "good" part. At least in the long run. Being in the middle of "bad" part isn't fun at all.

And about the drawing - WOW! Just... WOW!

• Thanks 1

had a good run this morning and... TIME to think, time to be outside and relax

felt great. really DEEPLY needed it.  lets all unpack this.

FIRST; Ah-HA!  I think I know whats wrong with the wonky tree.  those silly outlined lines and the light values are all wrong.  Yes, in the reference image the leaves are Lighter than the rock face; but locally/artistically..  the image improves when I darken the leaves push them back into the pic a little  and make it seem less like a coloring book outline of a branch and its leaves.

I did in fact, do this right after the run- and I think it helped 

My feelings about the Drawings are COMPLICATED.  to admit the truth; I do think I see improvement in my drawings.  the most recent drawing might be one of the first that is close enough to the reference to warrant a resemblance.  I've been reading a lot online about artistic fears; and apparently Nobody feels "good enough". perhaps there is NO such thing as Good enough.  like running, piano playing; there is a continuum of goodness from what a kid might do; to lofty heights of skill where those artists still strain to be "good enough".  the good enough thing is an empty question not really worth asking.... if I enjoy drawing and I have time to do it - I should!

I've always enjoyed pencil drawing; I love the outdoors and I think I can improve upon current efforts.  improvement means drawing regularly and focusing on stuff that is difficult.  .  I can do it spare minutes and I have enough time on some nights to generate sketches about as complicated and intricate as what I posted.   some artists spend days and weeks on their work; but the above pic took about an hour or two of broken effort. 

I had brief daydreams of being REALLY good at drawing; and maybe ink and wash.... but, but. these are just daydreams. I refuse to be prodded into unreasonable expectations.  I'm a man of many talents; and I need to (this summer) put piano music back.  piano, art, exercise and being outdoors  CAN fit! (I think...)

and Just as I will never be a FAST marathoner; I don't think I will be a famous/amazing artist either.  in fact, it would almost be unfair.  I've not stuck with it at all.  but LIKE piano; there is much appeal to look Back and pursue things I dropped and discontinued when the kids were small and my time was very limited.  I just NEED to keep expectations reasonable.

------

speaking of exercise. Oh boy guys I CRASHED.

I feel better right NOW then I have since the murphy. and Since the murphy I have had an Awful, physically Bad 2 days.  Headaches, aches, and oppressive tiredness.

for three days (T,W,H) I didn't do any exercise and many nights have been restless poor sleeping nights.

my wife wondered if I'm sick.

I don't know.  actually right now I feel really good.  but what the Heck happened to me anyways?

I haven't even been catching so much on other people's logs.  anyways, looking BACK I'm unhappy and it seems to me that my exercise program took a pretty big tumble this week.  the silver lining is that I was pushing myself pretty hard with some Long running and 3 days of rest hopefully healed some fatigue.

This weekend I intend to do my longest Run to date!  I want to run 16+ miles.  I expect this might take as long as 4 hours.  I don't think this fits the morning so I'll do it saturday night;  that would match the other 2 long runs that were all done at night.

Night running is becoming quite the thing!  maybe Very long marathon prep runs fit at night better than anywhere else...  certainly its a comfortable time to run when the days are Hot!  (recently they have been)

---

ok thats enough for me.  sorry for not catching up on you guys much recently, hopefully yall are having a great day.  

• Like 4

well guys happy weekend,

I probably will NOT have much chance at getting much NF over the long weekend. I"m planting!

I'm expecting that to take up to 4 days... there's a heck of a lot of work to be done.

• Like 1

I think you really are progressing with the drawings. They do look amazing, and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself; I agree with your thoughts there, but try to enjoy the journey of drawing - the things you are learning, discovering, and just enjoy the relaxing time while drawing?

Belated congrats on the Murphy. Sounds like you needed those days off to recuperate from pressing yourself so hard on training. Glad you are feeling better now.

It's funny to hear you talk about hot days! We had a cold front hit the whole country this past week, and it was shockingly cold. Tuesday night was 2C here by us, and about the same for Wednesday night. Since Thursday it has slowly gotten warmer again, but you only feel warm when you are in the sun. Our mountains have snow caps from down in the Cape, right up here to the Drakensberg and further north.

Enjoy your spring/summer heat though. Have a good weekend.

• Thanks 1

It sounds like you didn't schedule enough recovery after the Murphy.  You probably really needed a rest week, so your body was going to give you one whether you wanted it or not. :)  It did a great job for you last weekend so I'd say give it a break when it needs it. 

I feel you on the ambition thing.  It is hard for me to accept that I may never be great at a passion, but that it is still worth striving for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hey Liz!

I'm ok.  had a huge job in the planting!  (still not quite done)

a little mentally fatigued, though.  kind of feels like after big efforts I'm still falling short of my program and expectations. sigh.

anyways. got the long run up to 16.5miles (26km).  it was a four hour run!

I tripped towards the end of the run.  I'm ok, but I have a brush burn on my knees.  somehow this describes how I'm doing well.  big efforts, long runs, bruised though...  that happened on the weekend.  Yesterday I ran 4miles without issue.  thankfully, I don't think the crash will derail any plans 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I tripped towards the end of the run.  I'm ok, but [...]

This always amazes me.

As children we tripped all the time, spending like half of the time on all fours. And we were perfectly fine. But the older we get, the more damage is inflicted when we fall.

At what point we lost the ability to safely tumble? Is it because we are so used to upright position? Or is it plain physics of having our center of mass much higher? :confused:

P.S.

I'm glad you're okay. I was letting my thoughts wander...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aramis said:

This always amazes me.

As children we tripped all the time, spending like half of the time on all fours. And we were perfectly fine. But the older we get, the more damage is inflicted when we fall.

At what point we lost the ability to safely tumble? Is it because we are so used to upright position? Or is it plain physics of having our center of mass much higher? :confused:

P.S.

I'm glad you're okay. I was letting my thoughts wander...

Mostly physics. When a 6 ft tall 200lb person falls, they hit the ground with 8 times the force of a 3 ft tall 50lb kid. Which causes 8 times the damage.

• Like 2

yeah,

thankfully … its healing.  SO relieved, it wasn't worse

BTW I'm still drawing some; the latest sketch is

pfqIxUj.jpg

---

anyways the exercise Feels like its coming back.

I've have a run today, tomarrow and my long run on Saturday.  22miles in three days. everything feels pretty good! (though I feel slow)

Regarding THAT, specifically, there just is no hope for it.  a marathon is SO SO very much further than I've ever gone- I think I just need to accept that its going to be a mid 5hour finish (and a sore one at that).  there's a certain feeling that I can run and run and run (and run) if I just keep my pace slow enough.

that's the marathon mentality!  that's what will be tested.

• Like 4

Another image .. this drawing took my 2 days and I think it was better in several ways;

LAfNehw.jpg

there's glare from the light used to take the photo.  not Quite sure how to stop that.  anyways.

TREES are hard,HARD, and HARD!! to properly draw

but no other subject matter inspires me so much! there are very artistic and interesting to me.  but somehow I have to learn how to make my squiggles and loose circles better suggest dappled leaves in the sunlight.

anyways,

and also... I'm feeling a little more positive about my marathon program.  I've got to ramp things up- but I feel better able to do it these days. maybe its just me; but the distance doesn't daunt me like it used to.  like the walking the key is to mentally learn to be patient.  mental patience IMHO is absolute KEY to running 26.2 miles.

I suppose though I'll be more qualified to say that AFTER august 2.  but like other challenges; I plan to succeed!

BTW the reference image is  below.  its probably only fair to post that.  I'm NOT yet to the place where I'm composing a lot of novel pics.  instead I've done quite a lot of copying other artists and clinging to reference photos.

I look forward to the day of being able to do this seated in front of my subject matter enjoying the breeze, and actually experiencing the scene as I draw it.  Goal for the Future! 

r7srP5W.jpg

• Like 4