I fell off the wagon in the middle of last challenge. Honestly I'm not sure I was on the wagon to begin with, but I digress.

TENTATIVE WEEKLY SCHEDULE:

• Monday - work 8h
  • Tuesday - classes maybe, evening church group
  • Wednesday - work 8h split
  • Thursday - moar classes maybe, evening church group
  • Friday - work 4h, maybe class
  • Saturday - ???, church in evening (online ofc)
  • Sunday - ??? probably housecleaning tbh

TO-DO:

• Cooking
    • Lunch duty M
    • Dinner duty TWRF probably (dinner by 5 or 5:30 because that's when Mom gets off)
    • Weekends are always up in the air
  • Regain my gainzzz
    • 100 Knee Pushups Challenge
    • Split lunges and goblet squats (10 lb unless I can come up with something heavier. No, my cat doesn't count.)
    • I guess inverted rows?
    • 5-minute ab workout (crunches 1 min, plank 1 min, side plank 1 min/side, some kind of boat pose 1 min)
    • Walk/bike with Mom when schedule allows (it mostly doesn't).
  • Schooling
    • Send in those forms so I can sign up for the stupid classes on May 7
  • Read Dune. Finish before Mom finishes Anne of Green Gables
  • Pick up the alto clarinet at least 1x/wk for 40+ minutes (assembly and maintenance times not included)
    • Bonus points for breathing exercises
    • Bonus points for playing anything in boat pose.
  • Don't waste all my free time on Animal Crossing. (Wild World - don't ask for my friend code.) 1 hour of gameplay per day, max.
  • Spend some time outside in the sun!

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

Have a spreadsheet.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

The race is on :P   

It really is though because she hates reading for leisure (she'd much rather watch tv - reason I chucked Anne of Green Gables at her is that she is watching Anne With an E on Netflix for the second time in a row and I'm like "here, check out the source material") and I'm too technology addicted to just sit down and do it. She got discouraged the other day when I said I'd gotten to page 70 while she was only on page 20 and I'm like "my book is literally almost 800 pages and the font size is smaller." I think it's a fair challenge given our relative amounts of free time but only if she actually participates.

• Like 2
On 5/4/2020 at 10:25 AM, Snickie said:

Split lunges and goblet squats (10 lb unless I can come up with something heavier. No, my cat doesn't count.)

How much does your mom weigh? :)

Following. 

12 minutes ago, raptron said:

Haha at the reading race. :)

On 5/5/2020 at 7:10 AM, Snickie said:

only if she actually participates

She does not seem to be participating. 😂😭

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

tortoise and the hare strategy

I am looking at her bookmark. It has not moved from page 20 (of 309) since the day we started this thing. I, meanwhile, am on page 205 (of 794) and it hasn't been week yet, and I'm actually invested in the storyline now. I think I'm good 😆

• Like 2

So we had company on Saturday. A couple from our church we're really good friends with was more stir crazy than us so we had them over for breakfast and then he ended up fixing our dishwasher and so we also fed them lunch.

On Sunday (or maybe it was Saturday later on) I noticed I had a swollen lymph node. Occipital, left side, hard, painless. I'm like "ok I'll keep an eye on it." Because the hard painless ones can be cancer but also I don't know what it feels like to have a tender swollen lymph node on the back of my head lol.

Sunday and Monday were largely spent canning tomatoes with Mom. Today we did some juice.

Last night the lady in the couple that visited us on Saturday reported having a fever.

Today the swollen lymph node is gone still there but gradually decreasing in size. And my throat feels off. Felt off all day from the moment I got out of bed. I'm used to it feeling a little off because I sleep as a mouth breather because I'm always congested for some reason but today was worse than usual. Not sore but certainly around that neighborhood. I coughed once this morning on impulse. I probably could've coughed more throughout the day. No fever.

So I took all the healthy things and the maybe healthy things, and now I'm about to do a 5 minute head stand just in case there's something in my lungs. (I already have a headache from the idea lol)

Edit 5 minutes later:

So the lymph node isn't gone, it's still there and the only reason I can tell is that the other side is completely flat, no really tiny lump ish thing which I had to dig for (but showed up again when I did my head stand). I'll report back on that later.

Head stand did not go as planned. I... am having the mother of all (female problem that isn't ToM)s which is just really bizarre to me lol because this doesn't usually happen like ever. So I did a poorly formed downward dog instead and a pike position and my cat tried to get on my back. I also did some tapping just in case there was stuff in my lungs for me to cough out. I'll probably try again tomorrow, depending on how my throat feels.

• Like 2

Throat felt better this morning but now it's starting to itch a little like yesterday. Maybe it's because I'm paying attention to it suddenly.

There was a flyover at the local hospital today so I went to the lakeshore to watch it (too many trees to see it from my backyard). I was expecting them to come from the north but they came from the south so I was caught off guard lol. But at least I did a thing outside today.

• Like 2

And now for a proper challenge update:

Cooking

Hit or miss on this, particularly since Sunday when Mom and I canned a bunch of tomatoes and made risotto. When I get reliant on leftovers I build inertia against wanting to cook again. I have a whiteboard plan schedule thing which helps but now I'm not sticking to it lol. Mom is about to start going back into work so suddenly all the meals except breakfast are mine if I intend to eat. 😣

Gainzz

Yeah no. The idea was that I'd do these during slow work shifts MWF but YouTube is so much more interesting. Biking was a thing until the tomato canning spree and then classes started which is eating into our biking time.

School

It started. I only managed to get into one of the classes I needed and it's too late now to try to get into another. So the goal is to stay on top of the readings and homework as well as complete the paperwork to change my registration status so that maybe I can get into classes I need.

Extras

I've been playing clarinet a little more over the last few days. TwoSetViolin on YouTube posted a thing where people will submit videos of themselves playing and TwoSet will pick some to roast review their playing. Deadline to submit is 17 May at 23:59 AEST so I'm trying to get a certain piece up to snuff. I'm actually excited about it. I considered using the alto clarinet (the viola of the clarinet family lol) but also I don't feel like playing alto clarinet lol (oops).

No alto clarinet playing at all, btw. I'll be picking that up again when the TwoSet thing is done.

Dune is going well. Progress is on the spreadsheet. All the political intrigue is actually interesting. Although maybe it's because a lot of it is spelled out for me lol

ACWW - I haven't played properly in a week, which is good news for the challenge and bad news for my flowers. I foresee time traveling when I do pick it back up.

So far I am doing things outside. Not much, and not on canning day, but nevertheless.

• Like 2

Post title: Snickie is Angry at Herself (again). Malcontent indeed.

Topics: Solid Mechanics, movement, clarinet

SOLID MECHANICS

Summer semester is 12 weeks instead of 16 weeks. This means I am already falling behind because my attention span and impulse control are both 💩. So now I am employing CONTRACTS and FEAR to get myself to do this. Just because I get PAID to sit and do nothing all day doesn't mean I get to JUST sit and do nothing.

It is week 2 of class and we are already halfway through chapter 4. (The pace slows down significantly on a per chapter basis after this week - week 1 was mostly a review of Statics with a few extras thrown in.) So I need to catch up and build a sustainable habit of doing the work for the classes. Lecture being on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I am now reserving times from Sunday through Thursday to focus on material for this class with the intention that I will have the entire chapter covered by the day it is due.

What it means to have a chapter complete before class is:

* I have skimmed the chapter in the book.

* I have watched the related Jeff Hanson videos.

* I have worked at least half of the example problems per set (a set being a group of example problems not separated by more textual material).

Failure to complete the work I have scheduled for myself will result in no breakfast and no snacking before lunch on the following day.

If I am on schedule or ahead of my work, I may utilize YouTube.

MOVEMENT

It has come to my attention that my movement is "distracting" on Zoom calls where I must be on camera. In order to curb this, I will exhaust myself physically prior to these calls. I should probably also remember to take my iron - I've read that it's supposed to help with restless legs.

On every day I do not bike, I will do 50 split squats and/or lunges per side in as many sets as I need.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I will do 100 split squats and/or lunges unless biking, in which case I will do 50.

I will take my iron pill every day.

(Biking itself is unlikely to happen because it is too hot outside and my mother is going back to work in the office next week.)

CLARINET

The local clarinet orchestra I'm in is hoping to resume rehearsals in June. This is dependent upon whether or not a rehearsal facility can be acquired as the church where we usually rehearse does not expect to reopen until August. This is also dependent upon whether or not my director adequately addresses my concerns over being in a close-quarters group, all of us blowing hot air and then going home to my immunocompromised father. Regardless, we do have a performance on the calendar for August and, if the venue is open, we must be prepared.

I have 7:30-8:30am on weekdays reserved for clarinet practice. I aim to spend about 40 minutes per session and have at least 2 productive sessions on alto clarinet per week.

I will also keep up with core (ab) exercises such that I am able to support my sound.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Snickie said:

I should probably also remember to take my iron - I've read that it's supposed to help with restless legs.

As I read this I thought you were talking about a clothes iron and I was extremely confused :D 

• Haha 2

Lol I was angry when I wrote that which means I'm about 46% more likely to not follow the things I wrote than I would be under normal circumstances.

@Manarelle A new rehearsal space has been secured and I'll have to drive twice as far to get there ALTHOUGH if I take 408 then I'm actually paying less in tolls. But it's the kind of distance where I feel like I'll have to make a day of it. I have a friend who lives in the area. She'll probably let me crash at her place overnight so I don't have to drive as far to work the next day if I'm working by then. And if not then we can still hang. And spend money on food (goodbye toll savings).

The director was talking about distancing the chairs and having hand sanitizer and masks available and I'm like 😑 how am I supposed to blow hot air through an instrument with a mask on 😑 and he's like "cut a hole in the mask?" Which imo kind of defeats the purpose. Apparently other small music groups are doing something similar but also we're 25 right now.

My mom thinks I should quit the group. Then again she's always thought that since she found out it was a volunteer gig.

On the other hand, we did go out to eat on Friday night and my mom is offering to take me and my friends out for my birthday coming up so. \_(ツ)_/

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Snickie said:

The director was talking about distancing the chairs and having hand sanitizer and masks available and I'm like 😑 how am I supposed to blow hot air through an instrument with a mask on 😑 and he's like "cut a hole in the mask?" Which imo kind of defeats the purpose.

LMCN.gif

Best explanation I've found on aerosol transmission is exposure x time = infection. If you run past 1 person who's infected in an open area, you're unlikely to be exposed to a sufficient number of germs to get sick. If you're with even 1 person that's sick in an enclosed area.... for long periods of time... breathing recirculated air.... WITH A HOLE IN YOUR MASK. /facepalm

Good luck. 

17 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

If you're with even 1 person that's sick in an enclosed area.... for long periods of time... breathing recirculated air.... WITH A HOLE IN YOUR MASK. /facepalm

And considering this virus could have an incubation period of up to 2 weeks.... "longer" if you consider cases that remain subclinical/asymptomatic the whole time... idk if the self checks would work either. My family seems to have stopped with many of the precautions, what with us/them going out to eat with our church friends and my mom not wearing a mask at the local (outdoor) produce stand.

I keep saying "typhoid Mary" to my family whenever one of them sniffles in public. 

There won't be all 25 of us but I'm sure there will be well over the 10 limit by the cdc. Our rehearsal is on June 7 so maybe we'll be in phase 2 by then (doubtful but maybe). And I don't know how big the new rehearsal space is. The old one, maybe we could pull it off with 15 of us, 18 if we were allowed to use the worship stage. I've never been to this place.

Speaking of place, I actually plugged the new location into GPS and it turns out that it's on the near side of the interstate which means it should only take 10 minutes longer than I've been driving (as opposed to twice the time like I said above) to get there under optimal driving conditions, but I'll be taking the more expensive than usual toll roads for that because 1) more convenient and 2) the interstate is under sped up construction due to reduced traffic due to everyone working from home. I'm talking a 4 lanes on each side interstate having 1 lane per side open through downtown all day. 🙃 I'm relieved I don't have to take that road now but still.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Snickie said:

And considering this virus could have an incubation period of up to 2 weeks.... "longer" if you consider cases that remain subclinical/asymptomatic the whole time... idk if the self checks would work either. My family seems to have stopped with many of the precautions, what with us/them going out to eat with our church friends and my mom not wearing a mask at the local (outdoor) produce stand.

I keep saying "typhoid Mary" to my family whenever one of them sniffles in public. 

Ouch. My parents are mom is the same. She argues that they've only had 250-some-odd cases int heir rural county so why bother, and I've just stopped arguing. Hopefully, if she finds out the hard way, it carries her off and not dad. Best of luck to you. 

The ensemble director is posting all sorts of things as a "hey, proof we're doing things safely enough for you to come if you're not sick" and one of the things he posted (this one jokingly but the rest have been serious) is this.

Someone was like "how big of one do I need for a contra mouthpiece?" and the answer is probably a Ball mason jar but made out of plastic instead of glass.

• Haha 1

So I set a silent alarm on my phone to go off every 22 minutes (between snoozes) and to snooze it I have to do a simple arithmetic problem. The alarm is called "lemme see you squat squat squat" (based on that song that was popular 10 years ago that just replaced "squat" with "wop") and the answer to the math problem is how many squats / split lunges / exercise of choice I have to do right then.

We'll see how well it works in getting me to actually Do The Thing.

• Like 1