• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Post title: Snickie is a frustrated hypocrite.

Topics: Clarinet, Gainzz, Birthday, Life Priority Update

CLARINET

So director announced 8 rehearsals between now and our (now confirmed) performance in August. Miss >1 and you can't perform. Which is like, I get it, we haven't met in a long time and we have a lot of music to prepare, but also that's a lot of driving and time spent in close-ish quarters with people who may or may not be taking the same/better precautions as/than I am. (And I admit I too am loosening up on which precautions I take.)

On the bright side, my name isn't in the performing roster due to my previous comment about living with someone who is immunocompromised. (This is actually a white lie, as my father who has an autoimmune disease is not on any immune-suppressing medications at this time and in fact one of his medications is an antiviral - but I've seen him get a cold and it's no bueno. Nothing on the level of cytokine storm, but considering even normies are getting cytokine storm from this, I'd rather not gamble that his already overactive immune system wouldn't do the same were he to catch it.) So I'm not obligated to do it (even though I still kind of want to because performing is fun).

GAINZZ

I can definitely tell Tuesday was leg day. And it's Thursday which means it's leg day again. Asdfghjkl

I wonder how long my chest will recover from those nine (9) knee pushups I did yesterday.

I still need to do ab workouts. Because abs are important especially for swimsuit clarinet season.

I don't even know what to do about my back. My inverted rows station (the living room rug, because the rest of the house is tile or laminate and tile is cold and the dog won't stop annoying me on the laminate) got commandeered by a decorative table in the name of Cleaning. My back felt better generally when I was doing them, and since I spend a lot of my day sitting in a suboptimal chair, I'm fairly motivated to start them again.

BIRTHDAY

I'll be cleaning the house today after class/lunch. My burfday is this weekend and apparently we are having relatives over. My grandma (dad's mom), in fact, whom we think had COVID-19 back before it was at all known in the states because in retrospect she had all the symptoms (awful cough, SoB, 10-day stay in the hospital plus extra due to complications, kidney damage, etc etc) back in November-January. They couldn't figure it out and eventually just slapped a pneumonia label on it. Her husband had a less severe case which they labelled bronchial asthma. Last time we saw them was at Thanksgiving and they were both Not Well then. When she was in the hospital my dad actually started preparing himself to say goodbye, and we were going to go visit but she urged us not to let him visit because she didn't want him catching it.

Anyway my mom was like "invite your friends and we'll go out to eat for your birthday" but thinking about it I'm not sure I'm comfortable with so many people from so many different households together at one table (and some of them will bring their SOs though I'm not really friends with them) in such a public place. The restaurants aren't supposed to seat tables of more than 10 particularly if they're from different households so I feel like I'd have to pick and choose. But idk. We might just go as a family and I'll invite the one person who lives fairly close. Then we'll only be 6 and I'd be mostly okay with that. And I'll have to figure out how to get together with the other two some other time.

Also the hypocrisy of how can I feel comfortable in a restaurant in a large party and not at clarinet rehearsal even though they are fairly different lol. But I know the restaurant and the parent company are working hard to make sure things are safe for guests (unlike some of the more local places or even other large brands).

LIFE PRIORITY UPDATE

In other news, I'm facing having to become an Adult (which I should've done long ago). I can't share the details of what exactly is happening but suffice it to say I can no longer afford to live on my current (squat) income and continue my current (during quarantine) lifestyle (which is already pretty tight). My biggest expenses are going to be healthcare and education. So I'll need a full-time job to fund that. I looked at the marketplace yesterday and the cheapest non-employer-subsidized premium I could find was about $210/mo for a company I've never heard of, and the deductible was more than I make in a single year, so if literally anything happened I'd be up to my eyeballs in medical debt (although it'd only be >1 year's worth of my current income plus all those premiums versus some 30 years' worth of my current income). And I'm only eligible for insurance through my university if I'm going full-time (<50% of credits online) which, tuition is also expensive and those premiums are about half those on the Marketplace, but it does have slightly better benefits.

Anyway my biggest fear is that I won't be able to find a full-time job that will subsidize my health insurance and/or pay enough for me to afford getting it through University. I have almost zero confidence in my marketable skills. I think employers generally look at music degrees like they would philosophy or social studies or creative writing or whatever - maybe gives you a step-up into getting into a non-skilled labor job (e.g. reception like I was doing until mid-March) but not much more than that (since liberal arts degrees are so common and directly related jobs generally don't pay very well). I'm actually seriously looking into Medicaid which is my last ditch option because, from working in a doctor's office, I know that not a lot of practices take Medicaid and those that do are often swamped. I'm also looking at student aid but I also have low confidence that I'll find enough aid directed at 2nd bachelor's seeking undergrads. It's like "you already have a degree, so do you really need another one?" even though my degree is in the economic equivalent of underwater basket-weaving.

I'm aware that STEM degrees are also oversaturating the job market. It's like there's no winning. I should just drop out and become a plumber.

(I'm definitely some kind of less-than-well-informed elitist. And also I sometimes wonder why I vote red instead of blue.)

And anyway, where am I supposed to get a job in this economy?

• Like 1

Ouch, this is a tough time to be becoming and Adult. Not impossible, but definitely tough. What did you do in a medical office? That's probably pretty good experience, and responsible office work is pretty transferable between industries. 

6 hours ago, Snickie said:

lso the hypocrisy of how can I feel comfortable in a restaurant in a large party and not at clarinet rehearsal even though they are fairly different lol. But I know the restaurant and the parent company are working hard to make sure things are safe for guests (unlike some of the more local places or even other large brands).

Eh, yes and no. A lot of restaurants here are doing outdoor seating only, and definitely keeping people distanced. I feel like that'd be good, especially if you eat and then relocate to another outdoor place to chat/ relax. Rehearsals feel like they're mandatorily in an enclosed space, with way more than 10 people, and you're specifically breathing deeply and blowing out air. Of the two, I'd be happier at an outdoor restaurant. 

Happy early birthday, and glad both your grandparents pulled through, even if it was misdiagnosed at the time. 

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

What did you do in a medical office?

Medical reception. I basically checked people in/out and took phone calls (many of which I passed on to someone else) and filed things into people's charts. I was never HIPAA trained/certified though. Tbh that whole office is a HIPAA violation waiting to happen.

outdoor seating

I live in Florida and we have entered Thunderstorms At 3pm Like Clockwork season. :P 

And it's a special occasion so we'll probably be eating around 3pm.

The restaurants here are 50% capacity and table distancing and a lot of them have special protocols like disposable menus or "scan this QR code to get the menu" signs and the restaurant staff (mostly) wear masks and gloves and they've stopped requiring signatures on the Ziosks for credit card purchases. Most of them also have limited menu options since sales are down and it's easier to order product when you have fewer offerings.

So still probably much safer than a clarinet choir rehearsal full of hot air and who knows what the seating arrangement is going to look like. But I think I'll ask people not to tag me in any pictures that come out of it on Facebook lest the director (whom I'm friends with) sees me and is like "BuT yOu WeNt tO a ReStAuRaNt hOw iS tHaT sOcIaL dIsTaNcInG??? i tHoUgHt yOuR DaD wAs iMmUnOcOmPrOmIsEd. cOmE tO ReHeArSaL nExT wEeK oR eLsE."

I did some of my squats today with a broomstick as a barbell and. My knees did not like. They don't hurt, but they sound like rice krispies when doing the concentric movement. I don't know where to put my feet to optimize this movement tbh, but I did it because I heard that a deep (Asian) back squat with the barbell is like this amazing stretch and anyway I eventually want to add actual weight to the barbell eventually. But rice krispies knees and I didn't even get that good of a stretch in. I'll probably have to get a professional to help me with form (and yell at me for going too deep in my squats but I'm all about that full RoM in my squats so they can bite me for that). Anyway I miss my goblet squats.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Snickie said:

"BuT yOu WeNt tO a ReStAuRaNt hOw iS tHaT sOcIaL dIsTaNcInG??? i tHoUgHt yOuR DaD wAs iMmUnOcOmPrOmIsEd. cOmE tO ReHeArSaL nExT wEeK oR eLsE."

I applaud your commitment to tying all that out. And yeah, probably good call. 

FWIW, and I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told by a PT that once you get old, your knees will just... sound horrible. As long as there's no pain, go for it. I tried doing my workout once without music and almost died from the noises my body makes. No working out for me sans distraction music. 

16 hours ago, Snickie said:

Medical reception. I basically checked people in/out and took phone calls (many of which I passed on to someone else) and filed things into people's charts. I was never HIPAA trained/certified though. Tbh that whole office is a HIPAA violation waiting to happen.

Hey, that's still office experience! 

16 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

once you get old

25 years doesn't really sound old but quarter of a century definitely sounds old. 😣

I love how my legs have legit forgotten that yesterday was leg day, which was only 2 days after the previous leg day. Let's hope my pecs are equally forgetful about pushup day.

• Like 1

So I thought I might get a windfall with the health insurance thing, but it's looking more and more hopeless as I continue to investigate. So while I wait for the End to come, I'm going to take care of my vision and dental as much as I can because my new insurance, whatever that is, definitely won't have those. I have a list of things I'd like to get done, but I think my window to do all of them has shut.

• All dental work. (I hate going to the dentist. I literally haven't been since 2008 or 2009, I forget which, but I had cavities then and never had them filled.)
  • Get new glasses. The lenses in mine are scratched up which makes it harder to see.
  • Get a new GP and get a full physical and bloodwork done. Try to get one that will take my current insurance as well as the insurance I expect to have later.
    • Irregularly spaced ToM - how to best manage without birth control
  • If possible, an MRI as a baseline (my dad has MS which makes me more susceptible to developing it) and also to maybe find out why my right eye keeps shaking. We have a name for it, just no idea why. I am this close to getting an eyepatch (which I keep saying and won't do because I don't want to call attention to myself by looking so drastically different) because the double vision is so annoying.

Here's my to-do list regarding health insurance. It's right next to catching up in Solid Mechanics in priority.

• Find my 2018 tax documents. I know they're in my room somewhere.
    • Get rid of / box up a lot of stuff from my room I don't need while my room is torn apart. We might have to have a garage sale.
  • File my 2018 taxes and shell out another $200 in unpaid Social Security /Medicare taxes and TurboTax fees because apparently it costs $$$ to file a 1099-MISC.
  • Show FAFSA proof that I'm poor I make next to nothing so that they'll approve me for aid.
  • Officially apply for aid for 2020-2021 school year so I can go full-time.
    • Spam Fastweb for scholarships.
  • Hassle the University to hurry up with my transfer application so I can be an undergrad again and be able to sign up for the classes I need BEFORE literally the day before they start.
  • Meanwhile, update and spam my resume to anywhere that might take me on full-time and give me insurance. Also engineering internships, but only the paid kind because poor and unpaid internships are a scam.

To-Do for Solid Mechanics:

• Hanson videos for chapters 4 and 5 (axial load and torsion)
  • Pearson homework for chapters 4 and 5
  • Reading for chapter 6
  • Reading for chapter 7

My next leg day is technically Tuesday but I should have had one today or yesterday to get a nice round 3 per week.

I think I'm going to add a plank line to my sheet so that I can split up my counts on push-up day because I cannot do more than 9 pushups in a row right now, so I'd do plank for 10+ and pushups for 9- until plank reaches some 60 and pushups reach 30. Maybe when I get better at pushups I'll split it into 6- inverted rows, 7-12 knee pushups, 13+ plank.

• Like 2

Wow, yup, that sucks on the insurance. Good luck with your list, and hopefully getting some answers. You should totally go for a sequined eyepatch and just rock that look!

My left heel has been bothering me since yesterday evening so last night and today I've been walking more on the ball of that foot. Not sure what that's all about. Yesterday was leg day but I didn't finish. It is because after 3 months of sitting I went grocery shopping? 😮 

Endgame goals for this challenge

By the end of the challenge period I shall have:

• done
    • 300 split lunges
    • 300 squats
    • 250 pushups
    • 300 seconds of planking (front and sides) and boat pose
  • finished Dune
  • handled the FAFSA

Looking at ideas for next challenge.

• Solids will continue until the very end of July.
  • I like the alarm with the math that tells me how many reps/seconds of xyz exercise to do. I'm like, what kind of goal should I set based on that system? 30rep/day x 3day/wk x 6 wk/cycle = total goal (with some adjustment for progressive overload)? And how can I make sure I don't burn out on this? 😧 
  • I also need a system for how to exercise when I miss a day (which will happen at some point).
  • I think I want a clarinet-related goal as well even though I have nothing to practice for now (I went and gave up the alto yesterday because I'm doing the concert in August, which really bums me because I worked really hard on the Dvorak).
  • Read another book.
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, Snickie said:

By the end of the challenge period I shall have:

I apparently forgot that ToM falls between yesterday (when I posted this) and the end of the challenge. 😫 Thank God for ibuprofen, that's all I'm saying.

• Sad 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:43 AM, Snickie said:

I made the thing.

I see this catching on quickly. :) It looks lovely, and way more comfy than a hard eyepatch. 

way more comfy than a hard eyepatch

Lol so far it isn't. It's a Process trying to get it to fit so the tie doesn't crush my left eye. I might have to add more ties to it although they won't look as good.

Also the fact that it forces down my right eyelid means I have to work harder to look up with my left eye.

I'm coming up with some if-then algorithms that determine rewards and stuff for my next challenge. Like if I brush my teeth before bed (I am wildly inconsistent about this) then I get to play 30 minutes of Animal Crossing the next morning. Except that that particular example feels really off-balance. Like I don't have to work that hard to play Animal Crossing. And so on.

Going to keep this post for generating ideas.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n6v7mpDjRCW9ZNGvSwF1EYUNYQV0QhgVijLJAbpCpFc/edit?usp=sharing

I've decided that morning Animal Crossing can be easy since my morning Animal Crossing stuff is mostly town maintenance type of stuff that really shouldn't take more than 30 minutes:

- watering wilting flowers (unless raining)

- digging up fossils/gyroids

- hitting the money rock

- checking for visitors

- maybe shaking fruit trees (though not necessarily selling right away)

- hitting up already-awake townies

- checking environment status (I'll get that golden watering can one of these days!)

- etc.

It's evening Animal Crossing that is going to be strict and harder to earn because that's where I do the things I want to do. Like getting the money to drop 1200000 Bells on a crown I totally don't need. And fishing. And hitting up the townies that weren't awake in the morning.

For evening Animal Crossing I want productivity. Evening Animal Crossing is a huge time waster for me. I need to have done at least my Solids work for the day (I feel very behind in that class) and at least one other major thing or two other minor things.

Edited by Snickie

22 hours ago, Snickie said:

I'm coming up with some if-then algorithms that determine rewards and stuff for my next challenge. Like if I brush my teeth before bed (I am wildly inconsistent about this) then I get to play 30 minutes of Animal Crossing the next morning. Except that that particular example feels really off-balance. Like I don't have to work that hard to play Animal Crossing. And so on.

Going to keep this post for generating ideas.

Out of curiosity, how much work is brushing teeth? Is it something you can do an abbreviated version of, to get used to the habit of doing it? 

how much work is brushing teeth?

I used to have this ritual where, 3 days a week, I would oil pull while I was in the shower (morning only but this probably would've been okay at night) and then do a warm saltwater rinse (this is where being in the shower came in handy) and then brush with baking soda but that came to be too much work, even on lazy days, but especially once I started having to be places or do things early in the morning. Now I just brush with toothpaste, occasionally floss (I am even more wildly inconsistent about this), and the only fancy addition is scrubbing my lips so I can put on Carmex afterwards (my lips are like permanently chapped).

On 6/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, Snickie said:

I don't have to work that hard to play Animal Crossing

I think you misunderstood the meaning of that lol. Brushing my teeth isn't hard. I meant that 2-3 minutes of effort for 30 minutes of game time seems too easy lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snickie said:

I think you misunderstood the meaning of that lol. Brushing my teeth isn't hard. I meant that 2-3 minutes of effort for 30 minutes of game time seems too easy lol.

Hmmmmmmm...... then why not try it. 😇

Baby steps.