• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

15 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

There were announcements that the government will 'create' groups (from unemployed people between the ages of 18 and 35yrs) who will be like a 'police force' at schools. They will get two weeks' 'training' and if they find any child, or teacher (but it is more aimed at children) who has Covid symptoms, they will apparently send them straight to a quarantine camp, and the parents will have no say! There was a huge uproar about this.

This sounds completely terrifying. I understand the uproar.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

parently our country is going down to level 3 Lock down from 1 June. There were announcements that the government will 'create' groups (from unemployed people between the ages of 18 and 35yrs) who will be like a 'police force' at schools. They will get two weeks' 'training' and if they find any child, or teacher (but it is more aimed at children) who has Covid symptoms, they will apparently send them straight to a quarantine camp, and the parents will have no say! There was a huge uproar about this. No one in government even considered that this was breaking human rights conventions and laws, not to mention our constitution. They are in charge and that's that. Well, they had to react after the uproar. We haven't heard anything on this since, but thousands of parents are now trying to register or work something out to have their kids home schooled, or enrolled in some form of cottage school.

So again... watch this space.

Wow, just .. no!  Maybe  the reason God has you still here is that you are going to be encouraging the new flood of homeschoolers after that policy is instituted

• Like 2

I’m sorry. I really don’t know how high school electives work here. I did mine so long ago... I think we were tracked. I was on the nerd track, all science courses. Wood shop might have been more useful.

Now, you’d think car tire training would be one of the weird things I’ve tried, but I haven’t, besides pulling one.  Looks fun though.  

For adding weights for pulling I put boards on the bottom and chucked bricks or Slothboy on top.  I’ve heard of people using hose clamps to attach weight on the inside, but drilling through a tire is a hassle and you probably wouldn’t want to throw around a tire like that.  I’d probably get a bigger tire next, maybe from a Range Rover or truck.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 12:47 AM, Xena said:

This sounds completely terrifying. I understand the uproar.

After the first announcement, and the other groups, and civilians, reacting to it, it seems as if they've dropped it. Even some teachers commented that they refuse to teach if that will be the environment. The word the Minister of Education used was they'll form "brigades" to patrol every single school.

Our gr.7 and gr.12 classes are supposed to start again this coming Monday, but the teachers' union protested and said that there were still too many schools without electricity, running water, proper toilets, classes will be overfull, and there aren't enough tables and chairs for children. They are trying to lower class sizes in some places from 50+ to less than 30 per class. It is horrible situations. You might also remember that a lot of people burned and vandalised schools at the beginning of this lock down? Well, those schools have to be rebuilt, and there just isn't money. Only two out of nine provinces came back and said they can re-open, but they were quickly quietened by parents and teachers saying they refuse under the conditions and circumstances.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:48 AM, Elastigirl said:

Wow, just .. no!  Maybe  the reason God has you still here is that you are going to be encouraging the new flood of homeschoolers after that policy is instituted

Honestly, I'm more than willing to give advice, but a lot of the parents who are turning to HS-ing now, aren't willing to take the full responsibility like us full-time HS parents do. They are looking for a stop-gap. And I honestly don't want anything to do with that mindset or any political fights. At this point I don't have the patience to be nice with government officials (or parents who want to half-ass things); I'll just tell them straight you're breaking the law, wisen up. Get your act together. I've had to deal with those attitudes too much previously. But if there are parents who are really interested in doing what is best for their kids in the interim, and really interested in HS, then I'm more than willing to sit with them, help them. But it will take commitment from both sides.

Another option, which a previous political party mentioned, and us longtime HS parents suggested, was that they (the government) stop their nonsense and start creating or allowing cottage schools. Like small private schools which don't have more than 50, maybe 100 learners. Small classes, in the communities, no long distances to travel. Less infrastructure needed. Why I say the government must stop their nonsense, is because legally it is allowed to start small cottage schools, they fall under the same rules as private schools, but the Education department just refuses to acknowledge or allow it. They refuse to register such schools and have come down hard on people who tried to start those up, and individual people don't have the money to take them to court, so they just withdraw.

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Now, you’d think car tire training would be one of the weird things I’ve tried, but I haven’t, besides pulling one.  Looks fun though.

I did wonder, seeing as you love your sledgehammering. The boys and I tend to need to change our exercise routine frequently, and we like doing 'other' things. We'll see how this works out for us.

I’m sorry. I really don’t know how high school electives work here. I did mine so long ago... I think we were tracked. I was on the nerd track, all science courses. Wood shop might have been more useful.

No problem. I should really just buckle up and read up on it. I left it because I wasn't sure what things in NZ would be like, although I got a good idea that they also choose subjects according to the child's abilities around gr.10, their year 10.

I was told to take accounting and economics, along with math when I had to choose. My home class teacher and I looked at the person who came to do the valuations that day, and back in her class, she wrote me up for the sciences. Which is what I loved and excelled in. Geography, Biology (which for us included Zoology), Physics and Chemistry (although I hated Physics, it was compulsory with Chemistry, which I loved). But the boys don't even know what they want to go into, except Adam still wants to work with animals in some field. Rocco has no clue, but he still has time to develop his interests. And sometimes interests change later in life too.

Brandt mentioned that he wanted to take mechanics (machinery) but the teachers (and his mom) didn't want him to, but he also chose science subjects. Now he is learning all about mechanics (car engines, etc.) on his own.

For adding weights for pulling I put boards on the bottom and chucked bricks or Slothboy on top.  I’ve heard of people using hose clamps to attach weight on the inside, but drilling through a tire is a hassle and you probably wouldn’t want to throw around a tire like that.  I’d probably get a bigger tire next, maybe from a Range Rover or truck.

:D I'm not putting either of the boys on top. Rocco weighs 71kg! (156Lb). Adam weighs a smudge above that.

I think I'll tie the two tires together through those rings, and then for starters I'll put the smaller weights inside, just for pulling. But yes, for throwing, tipping, rolling, I'd rather just get a bigger, heavier tire. These are old tires we took off the Uno. Or just revert back to the weights for heavier stuff, and do fun things with the tires.

------------------------------------------------

Read two notices these last two weeks from our shooting club (owned by gun shop owner), who showed letters and summaries of meetings where gun shop owners and legal people got together with top police members, warning them that they (the police) are not allowed to take people's firearms away from them, or refuse to renew licenses, or close down legal gun shops "under lock down rules". Defending yourself is a legal right (under our constitution), which wasn't stopped under lock down. Brandt is still waiting for his renewed license to be issued (a couple months now). He has proof to show he legally owns the firearm, and that he is waiting on the police to renew his legal license, so he is allowed to carry/use it still.

In general though, the police, and other law enforcement seem to have withdrawn from our streets (neighbourhoods and city/shopping areas) this last week, but there are huge amounts of people in the streets! For the most a lot of people are adhering to social distancing, but as usual, some people don't adhere to anything.

The politics have been giving me a stress headache almost every day, so I'm just going to ignore that side for a bit (the government are trying to make it a racial issue, saying it is only a certain race who are complaining, when it very definitely isn't).

------------------------------------------------

Back at home: my washing machine has stopped leaking after those guys fiddled with it. It's working like a charm again. I phoned the lady for the quote on the bearings (and seals), and she said that my machine's parts have been discontinued, and the shops where they buy spare parts are only allowed to open 1 June. That is only when she'll be able to find out if she can find parts, and the cost. She actually advised us to use the machine up till it's finished and then replace. I looked at machines at one shop yesterday, but the saleslady kept talking over the information the salesman wanted to give me, on my questions, and she kept trying to push the Defy brand on me. Which obviously immediately got my hackles up and made me stubbornly think to myself, "now I definitely won't buy that machine, thank you." Asked her the questions about the extended motor warranty, electricity and water consumption, etc. and she couldn't answer me. The guy just looked at her, then turned around and walked away. I then told her that I'm not going to buy within the next month anyway, I'm just looking around, and she lost interest as well, and walked away. She lost me as client there.

The rest are as usual. This week was half-n-half challenge wise. I'm not even going to sum it up.

Hope you all have a good relaxing weekend.

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
fixed spelling
  • Like 4

Just chiming in about electives in school.  Starting from grade 8 we had a few options (ex. which language, whether you took shop or drama or home economics), and the options increased as we went along.  There were no "tracks" so you could take any course that interested you as long as you included the core curriculum classes.

I have a question about homeschooling and I was wondering what other people thought.  Our province just introduced a bill allowing parents to home school their children without having their plan approved by the school boards or meeting any preset targets.  (Currently you can home school with your own plan as long as you show it does meet the learning goals.) All they have to do is say they want to home school and that they have any plan.  But then the child would not get a high school diploma or recognition of learning and could not go on to college.  It seems like a terrible idea.  Are there redeeming aspects to it that I can't see?  Maybe children can be better off without having to hit formal learning targets? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Just chiming in about electives in school.  Starting from grade 8 we had a few options (ex. which language, whether you took shop or drama or home economics), and the options increased as we went along.  There were no "tracks" so you could take any course that interested you as long as you included the core curriculum classes.

We also had a core set of curricula that we had to follow. Gr.8 is our first year in high school. And you finish when you complete gr.12. But the last three years are all working up to that school leaver's certificate. We had to choose our subjects (according to what you excelled in, and what teachers, and then lastly someone advised) to continue with from gr.10 through gr.12. Afrikaans, English, and Math were compulsory, but you could choose standard or higher level. Then you could choose between various sciences (geography, biology, science (physics and chemistry), art, music, economics, business economics, woodworking and machinery, home economics, computers... Our specific school didn't have a computer course, so a teacher came from another town one afternoon a week.

3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I have a question about homeschooling and I was wondering what other people thought.  Our province just introduced a bill allowing parents to home school their children without having their plan approved by the school boards or meeting any preset targets.  (Currently you can home school with your own plan as long as you show it does meet the learning goals.) All they have to do is say they want to home school and that they have any plan.  But then the child would not get a high school diploma or recognition of learning and could not go on to college.  It seems like a terrible idea.  Are there redeeming aspects to it that I can't see?  Maybe children can be better off without having to hit formal learning targets? 

Some of the Canadian provinces had a policy that if homeschooling families followed the education plan of government, then they get some kind of payment for books, etc. If they followed their own plan, then they have to pay everything out of their own pocket. A lot of parents chose to pay out of their own pockets, rather than be bound by a prescribed way.

With regards to homeschooling, there are different camps: because families vary so much, you cannot force one way of doing things on every family. Some families (like ours) prefer a more scheduled approach, others on the other side of the spectrum like a very informal approach, where they see the whole way of life as one of a learning way of life. Children/People also vary, and one way of educating one child, won't necessarily be right for another child.

The big thing with regards to education in general is that there are parents who take it seriously, and others who don't. In general 98-99% of home schooling families take their 'job' very seriously, in that they know they have to be responsible, (whether they 'educate' their children very informally, more formally, or somewhere in between like we do - called eclectic way), they make sure that they include activities, books, etc. which covers all the main points that need to be covered (but that is also not always necessary). Then there are those families who want to try this, but they don't really want that responsibility on themselves, and they more often than not, end up sending their kids back to school. Which has lead to a lot of questions and negativity, etc. Comes down to everyone can do it, not everyone should do it.

So many studies have been done through the years (mostly in America, but some interesting ones in Finland too), which have proven that in a home setting a formal plan or textbooks, or 'school-at-home' approach as we call it, is not necessary for kids to learn and excel. It is a different dynamic than being in a classroom with many other kids. There are even some schools across the world set up in a more informal way that has proven this.

The other point is that governments do not have the first say about who, or how children are educated. It is inherently not their responsibility. That responsibility and first choice belongs with parents (UN Charter on Children's Education and Care, and Human Rights conventions - that the responsibility for children first falls on the parents, not governments). Governments should however have a form of education available for parents to choose from. That became state schools (whichever form), later private schools were added, and later home schools (home education is the proper term) was included (along with cottage schools, co-ops, etc.). Then there is also the wording of the UN charter that states that every child should be educated in a means that suites him/her, in a way that brings out the best in that child (I can't remember the precise words), so that the child's talents, and what is best for that child, is of first import. It comes down to catering the education to the child's needs, and change the education to help that child develop to the best of his or her abilities. Actually, even if you send your child to a school, the onus is on the parents to check that their child does get an education, and that you agree with what they are being taught. But that's another kettle of fish.

The way your policies have been changed means parents have the right to choose how they want to educate their children.They do not need permission to educate them in a specific way. They have the right, but along with right comes responsibility. You'll find in many, many research studies about home schooling families that the majority take that very seriously, no matter which form of home education they choose. Secondly, all countries have a hierarchy of people who are responsible and have to report to government when they suspect that children are not properly taken care of, be that health or education wise: ministers (any church/religious organisation), police, doctors, nurses, and then your friends, family, neighbours can (and they will) go to welfare or your country's social/welfare organisation, if they suspect that children are not treated properly or not being educated. This takes care of most of the irresponsible parents.

Parents are ALWAYS scrutinised when it becomes known that they home educate their children. No matter where you go, if people know it, they watch you. I have experienced first hand - still do (family, friends and strangers) - that people think because they know you home school your child, you don't have the right to privacy and choice of what you do; they have the right to ask you what you're doing, why are you doing that, etc. Perfect strangers have cornered me in shops asking me about the boys because they weren't in school, or in uniform, or at sport. Some have been very aggressive. Others more curious, but you are always watched. Responsible parents will always do what is best for their children: they find a way.

Getting a school leaver's certificate can not only be achieved through a school institution. There are many online schools, and many organisations which have approval of governments. Also a lot of organisations (universities, colleges, technicons, or institutions where you learn plumbing, electrician, mechanics, etc.) are forming a different pathway of entering the institution, if that is where you want to go. Here in South Africa whether you come from a school or not, you have to write an entrance exam (but that is because government school levels are very low, and you can't trust the ink on the certificate) at all universities and most colleges. There are also other places which have their own entrance criteria, where a formal university degree isn't the end product, where you don't need a school leaver's certificate, just hard work, and learning their material (for instance becoming a game ranger, working in a game park, culinary schools, etc.). They have their own courses, are accredited internationally and have good reputations. There are also more and more organisations set up in certain fields, who have their own courses for children (my oldest did a junior field guide course two years ago through a nature conservation organisation), so a school leaver's certificate would not help him in any way if he pursued that direction. But a couple of these courses could get his foot in at an organisation where game rangers or park rangers study. We have also seen a trend where companies would rather take in young kids (school leavers, with or without certificate), teach them in-house, and have them work their way up. At the moment we are planning for our boys at minimum to get a US High school diploma/certificate. The one just a step further up than a GED. Mainly because our government decided last year that they don't approve/recognise the GED as a school leavers' certificate anymore. We'll be doing it online through a US institution. (I have to research that again, if we don't move to NZ). That is if the boys don't decide to do something where they have to go to a specific organisation to study for something (like game ranger, field guide, cook/chef, hospitality industry have their own 'schools', etc.).

In the end, it is on the parents if their children can't look after themselves, or go study somewhere. It's not going to affect anyone else, except if they make it their business. Government just needs that piece of paper that shows that the parent(s) took the responsibility on themselves. And nowadays they say people stay only for short periods of times in one specific job. They have the means and opportunities to study a diverse field of topics which is internationally available. If you don't learn the basics at a young age, there are still a chance that you can learn it in one way or another, when you are older.

This is probably more than what you asked for, *scratch head*, but I think all of it is relevant, and is underlying reasons for why your province's policies were changed.

fixed spelling
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

hey are looking for a stop-gap. And I honestly don't want anything to do with that mindset or any political fights. At this point I don't have the patience to be nice with government officials (or parents who want to half-ass things); I'll just tell them straight you're breaking the law, wisen up. Get your act together. I've had to deal with those attitudes too much previously. But if there are parents who are really interested in doing what is best for their kids in the interim, and really interested in HS, then I'm more than willing to sit with them, help them. But it will take commitment from both sides.

Ah yes, I hear you on this. I've had to deal with parents like that too, and I have little patience with them. After my son graduated, I pondered being a teacher in a co-op , but decided against it, because I knew I would have no patience with parents who weren't  willing to actually ensure their kids were doing the work.

On electives, For the most part, I think that is a time to let them dive into what interests them. I did have economics, because I think it is good to have a basic understanding of that. And we did some basic finance.If I'm remembering correctly,Dave Ramsey has a book for young adults we used. And I thought we did a book study on figuring out what career you might want, but I can't remember any details of it. I wanted my son to take some computer classes at the community college, but he said they were all boring, and he'd rather do his own thing, so that's what happened.😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

have a question about homeschooling and I was wondering what other people thought.  Our province just introduced a bill allowing parents to home school their children without having their plan approved by the school boards or meeting any preset targets.  (Currently you can home school with your own plan as long as you show it does meet the learning goals.) All they have to do is say they want to home school and that they have any plan.  But then the child would not get a high school diploma or recognition of learning and could not go on to college.  It seems like a terrible idea.  Are there redeeming aspects to it that I can't see?  Maybe children can be better off without having to hit formal learning targets?

I'm not sure what province you are in, but in Ontario, all you have to do is write a letter to the school that you are withdrawing your child to homeschool them every year. If you never registered them (because you started at kindergarten age, for example), you do not have to tell them anything at all. There are no requirements whatsoever to follow the provincial curriculum or present them with a plan. And... it works great! I have never met anyone who pays any attention to the provincial curriculum unless the homeschooling was planned to be temporary, like to deal with an illness. Everyone does their own thing with so many different styles of school. Lots of kids enroll in high school for at least a couple of years for a variety of reasons, one of which is to get credits for university. For the ones that homeschool right through high school (that would be my family), there are options if the child wants to pursue further education. They can enroll in online learning for only the courses they need to apply for university (high school diploma is not actually required for university), or they can wait a year or two and apply as a mature learner. Most universities love homeschoolers and have various provisions to enroll them. It's just a bit more work to contact the department and figure out what they need. Sometimes is it just an interview and a portfolio of work. I think you could technically take the SAT and apply with that as well. It's harder to get into college actually - you probably need to get a GED if that is your plan.

In summary, the fact that learning happens matters a lot more than whether you get a paper at the end saying that you learned things (whether you did or not). And independent thinkers are motivated to achieve their goals, which makes them desirable students that universities compete for and are willing to accommodate.

• Like 3

Eric started in the garden again today. He has to put on his mask to work, but he said he doesn't mind because it actually helps him with the dust. I see he is keeping it on permanently.

Also realised that we'll have to adjust the number of reps we do of each exercise. I can do some of the workout in half an hour, but it is too much (even for me rushing). We'll do some of it in the morning, and then the rest in the afternoon, after school. So far the boys are enjoying it. Except the rope pull. The nylon ropes are hard on the hands. So I'll only use the material one, but that gives us less distance to pull. I did manage once to pull both tires together (15.4kg), with both ropes, but it was difficult to wangle. I'll first have to get another carabiner. And then the reps will definitely be less than 10! So I'll re-work that workout, but we are definitely enjoying it so far.

Also read that our neighbour (with the twin boys) were having a hard time home schooling, and working from home. So I offered to help them with the school-part in the mornings, freeing her up to work from home (her husband is a policeman, so has to go in everyday anyway). She said that the school has decided to change the way they give home work, because all the parents were complaining about the work load. Said it was ridiculous, because they are getting even more work than usual. I don't think she'll take me up on the offer, but *shrug* that's their choice.

Brandt went to the office today, but only after their online meeting. Don't know exactly what they have to figure out, but there isn't 'social distancing' space for all of them, and a couple of the people also prefer to work from home. His other contract has temporarily ended, and they are hoping to renew until end September. So we just have to see what happens, and how things work out.

Not much else.

Have a good week.

• Like 4

My Workout: (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays)

• Mornings:
    • Jump Rope (single jump) 30x
    • Bear Crawls +-10m x2
    • Walking Lunges (from next week) 10x up and down driveway (Up and down count as 1 rep)
    • (Today I did broad jumps over the tire, then flipping the tire over (way too light), then broad jump again - 10x)
  • Afternoons:
    • Pushup-Walk-u-downp tire 10x (this is harder than it looks!)
    • Russian Twist 10x
    • Rope Pull Tire (will double up) +- 10m x 10
    • Stretches

Boys' Workout:

• Mornings:
    • Jumping Jacks 20x
    • Bear Crawls +-10m x2
    • Rope Pull +-10m x10 (they love this)
  • Afternoons:
    • Incline Pushups on tire 10x
    • Pop Squats (jump on flat tire with double feet - do a squat - jump off) 10x
    • Rotary Torso (they love this one too) 5x each way
    • Stretches

Then on a Saturday I'll do Jump Rope 30x (single jumps).

I'm so proud of the boys. They struggled a bit on form on the rope pull, but they managed it just fine. It really impressed them how strong they've become by doing the body weight workouts before being allowed on the computers. They tried to race each other on the tire pull. It was neck on neck! Of course the cat and dogs joined in the fun, and they had to stop every now and again because the cat jumped the ropes, or the dogs grabbed it, and tried to run away with it. Lucky there was a tire connected to the ropes.

That was nice!

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, Elastigirl said:

Woot for being so strong that the tire was too light!!

I'm chuffed that a 7.7kg tire is too light. A double should give me a good workout.

-------------------------------------

Changed things just a little bit, by adding the jumping rope workout not just on a Saturday, but on a Tuesday and Thursday as well. And made it 50x. That gives me a good start on cardio if I do it fast enough.

• Bible Study: Not Sunday, but Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • Weigh In: On Monday, down a little bit to 91.8kg. I am really hoping to reach 90kg by end of June. I've been stuck on 92kg for months now.
  • Cleaning: Floors Sunday evening late; Dust/Polish Monday; Bins for refuse on Tuesday, as well as laundry.
  • Sleep <21h45: Not Sunday, but definitely Monday and Tuesday nights. Will also tonight (Wednesday) because I'm tired!
  • Exercise:
    • Sunday: I think I did some jumping rope (30x)
    • Monday: The workout divided between morning and lunchtime. And add what I had to show the boys and help them with.
    • Tuesday: Jump rope (50x)
    • Wednesday: My workout, and a little bit of help to the boys. The walking lunges kicked my behind - literally, because my glutes are making themselves known in bits of aching muscles. I'm doing them, and the rope pull fast enough that it actually works as a cardio exercise, and that drains me! I'm absolutely NOT cardio fit.
  • Shooting: No, didn't do it on Tuesday.

Yeah! Some group took our government Covid19 task force to the constitutional court (there are several cases pending, actually), and the whole level 4 (May month) and level 3 (June month) 'rules' or policies have been thrown out as unconstitutional. The government task force/group in charge has been given 14 days to change the rules and give scientific (or logical) reasons for why they made certain decisions/edicts, or else. I don't know what the or else will be. They are either going to get help from other parties and set up better rules, or they are going to throw everything out. As always... watch this space.

A lady contacted me today. She wants to talk to me on Friday about the political, government and law side of home schooling, specifically from when I presented our province a couple years ago, together with other people from other provinces, at the government level meetings. I realised that I am not really hopeful about anything with regards to our government. I'm fully skeptical and cynical. Actually I've become very cynical about a lot of things in life, over the last couple years.

I also managed to proof read another book from the Australian author. It was the last in a series she started nearly 7years ago! I openly admit that I cried through the last chapters. In part because of the story, as it unfolded, and part because this was a GREAT series! It was the one about the reptilian-like alien race that invaded Earth, and how small groups fought back. I might have mentioned it before. We're having a 'Facebook Party' on Thursday morning. Oh, that's tomorrow morning!

Ok, that's it from me. I'm definitely having an early night.

I'll pop in on your threads tomorrow.

• Like 2

Way to go on the jump roping. That's good that the COvid lockdown was voted unconstitional. See what they come up with next though. I'm so frustrated with  the whole Covid lockdown in our state right now. Our governor said it was a fine and wonderful thing for people to peaceable protest( a situation where lots of people are tightly packed together  and yelling) but  is fining businesses who just want to open up and run their business. It's just crazy and maddening

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 7:01 PM, Elastigirl said:

That's good that the COvid lockdown was voted unconstitional. See what they come up with next though.

For now, government has extended the "Emergency situation" for another month, as they say our country is still "under threat". And they are going to appeal the ruling of the high court on their policies being declared unconstitutional.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:01 PM, Elastigirl said:

Our governor said it was a fine and wonderful thing for people to peaceable protest( a situation where lots of people are tightly packed together  and yelling) but  is fining businesses who just want to open up and run their business. It's just crazy and maddening

Exactly! Here are a couple of the ridiculous policies (in spoiler), but the big one that we are very glad that had been stopped (for now) is that people go straight to quarantine camp if they test positive for Covid19, whether showing symptoms or not. And it has come to light that a lot of those 'positive' tests, were not, it was false positives. People never actually had Covid, it was normal flu or a cold, or sinus, or nothing. A false positive test result. The government doesn't want people to self isolate at home, they want them thrown in quarantine camps directly (what they threatened with their brigades at schools, and school children). This is one of the things that was overruled by the "unconstitutional ruling" by the high court.

The Afriforum organisation is now laying charges against the government at the UN, because it seems that they are enforcing their ANC (communistic) policies on the country, while this lock down is going on. Trying to entrench their policies while people can't do anything about it, so to speak.

Spoiler

The 'smaller' issues:

Here they say it is ok to press hundreds of people into small spaces to hand out food or government grants, where the people stand shoulder-to-shoulder, all over each other, but nope, hair dressers where people sit more than 1.5m (4ft+) away from each other (or they only see one client/family at a time) , and the hairdresser is 'washing her hands' on every single client, is out of the question. Our restaurants aren't allowed to open, except if they can deliver or give take-aways. What is the difference between cooking for people sitting inside (but a distance from each other), and people taking that same food, from that same kitchen, and eating it at home, or in a park (although that's not safe! and not allowed - no parks, no trails, no beaches), or whatever. Or for that matter, the difference between people going into a hair salon, versus people going into a grocery shop?

Apparently people are allowed to go to church, but churches are to organise that less than 50 people go at a time. But we aren't allowed to go to shooting club, or a sport facility, even with the policy of less than 50 people at a time, in place. And you are only allowed to buy alcohol on a Monday to Thursday, from 9am-5pm. Not allowed to buy it on a Friday-Sunday, because you know, no person will buy alcohol during the week to drink over the weekend. You only buy alcohol on a weekend, to drink on a weekend.

The no short-sleeved shirts, and no open-toed shoes thing is out... I think. Very few are adhering to it, and even shops are now selling all clothes. We live in a subtropical climate (our town), where day temps even in winter can reach 25-28C. Who in their right mind is going to walk around in a long sleeve shirt and jacket?

At least Adam's riding coach has found a loophole, and she can start up with single tutor lessons from 18th June. Which is the one thing that makes me laugh: to see the various ingenious ways people are coming up with to 'circumvent' the policies (safely). They find a loophole, or make use of unclear terminology, and they can't be arrested or fined. On the riding, unfortunately the horse that Adam's been riding on (and I used to ride on) has been put down, due to a huge tumour :( Venus was an amazing horse.

We've decided that when everything is open and on again, we are really going to cut down on how much I drive around. Unfortunately it will only come down with one afternoon at first (no swimming), but later Lego will finish (need to finish the course), and then only continue with horse riding and fencing. We've saved a lot of money on petrol, as I only used one tank in 3 months (since lock down), where I normally use one tank in just under one month of driving around to extra-murals and such. Normally about 550km-580km per month of traveling per tank (55Lt).

Anyway... enough belly-aching. Brandt is set on moving as soon as possible. He is super frustrated. Come on NZ, open your borders, and give us a job! (if only it was that easy)

Week 4: Summary so far (Friday lunch time)

• Bible Study: Not Sunday, but every other weekday morning so far. Rocco skipped the last two mornings, but then I had to tell him and Adam afterwards what the pastor said.
  • Weigh In: A little down (+-400g?) will weigh again next week.
  • Cleaning: All cleaning done.
  • Sleep <21h45: Not Sunday, but all other nights in time, and Wednesday and Thursday nights I was in bed by 20h00.
  • Exercise:
    • Sunday: I think I did some jumping rope (30x)
    • Monday: The workout divided between morning and lunchtime. And add what I had to show the boys and help them with.
    • Wednesday: My workout, and a little bit of help to the boys.
    • Thursday: Jump rope (50x)
    • Friday: Morning part of workout. Afternoon part still to come. I made the ropes shorter for the pull, and only use the material ropes. It is much better on our hands. My walking lunges are also not deep (all the way down), and now it works that glute muscle part right on the edge-sides and bottom of the major glute muscle. It had me walking funny yesterday, but is much better today.
  • Shooting: No, didn't do it on Tuesday. Did watch a video on withdrawing from holster with winter jacket on, but that really is old news.

Dog groomers are open, so I'm taking Rosy the Maltese on Saturday morning for a wash and winter cut. There are people from Telkom (government telecommunications company) digging trenches in the streets/sidewalks, laying fiber cables. We were thinking of upgrading the adsl when these "Covid specials" are done, but now we'll wait till we can get fiber. Which should be another month or two.

• Like 1

Great workout.

Yep, The governor said that peaceable protests were allowed, yet in our county and neighboring county, no indoor churches, restaurants , hair salons, or small stores(apparently large box stores are exempt from the virus😉) are allowed to be open. Covid logic, meaning there is no logic. I'm actually rather concerned that all the protests will bring about a resurgence in the virus. People are marching shoulder to shoulder, yelling at the top of their voices.. Pretty much a great scenario for transmitting the virus. I'm hoping that since it is outdoor, and warmer, that  it will not be as easily transmittable or dangerous. 

At parks and the school fields I have seen people  who are being given lessons in sport activities by an instructor. That is not allowed still, but people are ignoring it and getting on with life

• Like 2

After another morning in town I'm really in two minds: I would prefer to go back to lock down, plain just to have less people around, but I know people need the shops and their businesses open.

Anyway...

Woke up at 5h30 this morning with our car alarm blaring! Luckily it was not an intruder, but the battery taking it's last breath (so to speak). Between age and the cold, it gave up the ghost. I had some errands to run too, but managed to convince Brandt to go to town with me, to swap the battery in (get a little cash back) when buying a new one. We dropped Rosy off first, exchanged/bought a new battery, went home, then I went back into town. By then my head was pounding again (a lot of smoke in the air last night caused sinus headache, which I went to bed with, and got up with). I didn't do any rope jumping or any exercise. The guys digging the trenches for the cables in front of the houses, almost blocked us in, but we managed to drive through with about 1 inch to spare on either side of the side mirrors (gates couldn't open properly) and tires (digging trenches right under our driveway). I took more downtime this afternoon. My head is still sore if I move it sharply, but not just in general, or from sinuses.

• Like 1

Sorry about the sinus issues. Hope it gets better soon.

I'm happy to be finally moving out of lockdown, but I do joke about how much easier it was to go on walks when we were on lockdown and there was hardly any traffic. HUbby and I went for our Friday night date of picnic and a walk at the local park. We had to stand at the crosswalk and wait for cars and I reminded him of how when we went and we could just cross without waiting

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:27 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the sinus issues. Hope it gets better soon.

I'm happy to be finally moving out of lockdown, but I do joke about how much easier it was to go on walks when we were on lockdown and there was hardly any traffic. HUbby and I went for our Friday night date of picnic and a walk at the local park. We had to stand at the crosswalk and wait for cars and I reminded him of how when we went and we could just cross without waiting

I'm glad the shops are now fully open (except alcohol and cigarettes, but that doesn't affect us). Some places are still not sure what's what, with regards to safety policies, etc. but it seems most places and people are much more relaxed. We haven't heard anything back about new policies. Very few people walking/working in our streets are wearing masks though. Most of the workers I see are municipality employees, so they should have been given free masks. Personally I understand that you struggle to breath with a mask on when you are doing hard physical work.

Well, that other HS mom phoned last Friday. We chatted about the political and legal side of home schooling here. She is actually from Canada. Her husband is South African, they lived in Canada for more than 10 years, and moved back to SA three years ago for his work. It was very interesting chatting to her, comparing legal side here and there.

There was a spate of burglaries, muggings, and attempted break-ins this weekend (day and night). We had someone on our property Monday night. Heard the noise, jumped up. Brandt said he saw something; I thought it was a wild cat again (winter - looking for food). Brandt is adamant it wasn't an animal. He walked the property for 10-15min. but all fell quiet. It is disconcerting how quickly someone can mesh into the night, and all go deathly quiet. Last night was quiet in that regard, with no problems anywhere in the neighbourhood that we've heard about. So ja... things are returning more to normal than we'd like.

M.i.l. seems to still be upset because of the washing machine (me saying no thank you to the one she wants to send us). She finally spoke to us this past weekend (it's been three weeks). Well, she phoned and spoke to Brandt. The only thing he said to me was "she has to get over it and herself."

Neighbour and I had a nice long chat (via cellphone :D ) Sunday afternoon. The whole area's electricity is tripping regularly again. Probably overuse of limited electricity supply with winter here. Her call started enquiring whether we also had electricity problems, or whether it was just their house. And it went on from there. :)  We both moaned about all the printing we had to do for school work. They are also Afrikaans but kids are going to an English school, so we both lamented about the English terminology for sciences, math, and languages. I listened when she shared some of her struggles of these past three months. It was good to chat and listen.

Week 5: Summary so far (Wednesday morning)

• Bible Study: Not Tuesday morning.
  • Weigh In: A little up. 92kg on the dot.
  • Cleaning: All floors, bathrooms, dusting, some wiping. Still need to wipe down the appliances and surfaces, again, as Stampy left footprints everywhere. Laundry and extra dog blankets done. Washing machine working like a charm.
  • Sleep <21h45: Went to bed just before 22h00 Monday night, and was awake numerous times through the night. Other nights in bed on time.
  • Exercise:
    • Sunday: Nothing - Rest day.
    • Monday: Didn't want to exercise early in our front garden because of workers in the street watching us. Didn't want to exercise in the back garden, because Eric was there. Felt uncomfortable. The boys and I did do the first half of the workout after Eric had left though, but didn't finish everything.
    • Wednesday:
    • Thursday:
    • Friday:
  • Shooting: No, didn't do it. Was too tired last night. Will try sometime during the week.

• Like 4

On 6/13/2020 at 4:00 AM, Elastigirl said:

How's it going?

Sorry, I haven't received any notifications, and we seem to be having network and mail problems. We can connect to internet, but no email, messages, etc.

These last couple days have been a bit busy. Brandt heard about some job opportunities in Canada, and asked me to look immigration information up while he sourced the jobs. The whole rig-ma-role I did for New Zealand, just shorter and in broad strokes to see what the situation would be. Also had to read up about some of the sport changes our country might be allowing as of middle next week, and how it would impact us. That took some time, because it is very haphazardly. I'm still not quite sure what we are allowed to do or not. *shrug* I really couldn't be bothered at the moment.

Then yesterday-to last night we had a situation where, we think, someone stole the boys' online items out of one of their games. Someone in the game 'reported' the boys' profile as containing stolen or copied/falsified items. Things happened so fast, that I struggled to keep up with what the 'employee' asked of us, and Adam just did what he said, until I said "stop!", slow down and let me read through these things properly. Then Adam started panicking because he didn't want their account deleted or blocked; I asked Brandt to help me read through and think through the situation, and the guy kept asking questions about payment and how they (the boys) traded for or got hold of the items. When I stopped everything and refused to give him any payment information, and he refused to give Brandt any personal information like where he was based, or proof that he did in fact work for Steam/Valve, Adam went into a flat spin. I sent him to take a hot shower and relax (was also late), and we asked the guy again for info. He refused again, and we stopped and cancelled everything. Logged out of Steam, etc. and basically broke the connections. Then when we went in again, Adam saw that they had lost all their in-game items, some of which they had saved and worked hard for (in real life to earn more pocket money to buy). I immediately deleted all information to banking details, changed their trading URL, and other stuff, to try and stop him from somehow get into the account, and it seems so far that it had worked, but sleep didn't come easy after that (for me - Adam and Brandt were out like a light). Luckily I have all kinds of extra safety measures on our banking apps as well as Steam. I had also logged "theft or scam claims" against the person/profile, and filed reports directly on the fishy transaction/actions. I still haven't heard anything from Steam, but well... if our email server is down, then obviously nothing will come through.

So anyway... it has been a busy couple days especially yesterday.

Also fit in a book to proof read earlier this week. Also won a book from the author in Australia, but all postage to South Africa has been cancelled, so I don't know when I might get it.

Week 5: Summary

• Bible Study: All mornings except Tuesday.
  • Weigh In: A little up. 92kg on the dot. Clothes are again looser. I can now wear my "shooting pants" with comfort. Rings (wedding and engagement) still don't fit though :(
  • Cleaning: Everything done.
  • Sleep <21h45: Most nights early, except Monday and Saturday nights.
  • Exercise:
    • Sunday: Nothing - Rest day.
    • Monday: Didn't want to exercise early in our front garden because of workers in the street watching us. Didn't want to exercise in the back garden, because Eric was there. Felt uncomfortable. The boys and I did do the first half of the workout after Eric had left though, but didn't finish everything.
    • Wednesday: Did everything.
    • Thursday: Nothing.
    • Friday: Only the first half of exercises.
  • Shooting: No.

fixed spelling
  • Like 4

Sorry about the boys losing their stuff on steam.Hopefully, that gets sorterd. How are Canada's immigration laws compared to New Zealand?Nice job on the week, and looser clothes!

• Like 1

Oh wow, I'm sorry with all the online problems. Hope in particular that the Steam stuff gets sorted. It seems like that should be possible if you initial legit communication directly with the company (once your internet is working better).

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 8:33 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the boys losing their stuff on steam.Hopefully, that gets sorterd. How are Canada's immigration laws compared to New Zealand?Nice job on the week, and looser clothes!

Steam/Games stuff beneath...

In some ways Canada is easier, but in others more difficult. Our ages (even me at 45) counts against us, which is unfortunately our main issue there. Their provinces and territories have some differences in what they each allow, and there are great support as soon as you land. The moment you land, get off the airplane and walk in the airport, you have Permanent Residency with all (or within 3months) the applicable services (health, education, accommodation help). It will also be a whole lot cheaper to move there with our pets: no quarantine, and there is even a possibility that we could take the bearded dragon with, although truth be told, I didn't look that up in detail. But definitely no problem with cats and dogs. Their home school laws are also very lenient, very supportive (but in NZ as well), and there are a huge variety of other educational options. But due to our age Brandt will have to get a job, and he doesn't qualify for the Express Entry, where you can go over and only once there, look for a job. They are also more strict on their English language level, than NZ seems to be. It is one of the upfront requirements before they check qualifications or experience.

20 hours ago, Xena said:

Oh wow, I'm sorry with all the online problems. Hope in particular that the Steam stuff gets sorted. It seems like that should be possible if you initial legit communication directly with the company (once your internet is working better).

We seem to mostly have communications (email) back, but it did go off twice today. I don't know how long Steam will take, but Brandt read a new policy of theirs where they state that they will not give you your items back if it had been stolen. It happens too often, so Valve is obviously loosing money. Both boys cried long tears yesterday, but this morning they've accepted it. I asked them not to buy or trade any in-game items until I've heard from Steam. They are so upset that they don't even want to play any online Steam games, which is more than fine by me :D . Adam found it ironic that in real life we are not quite paranoid, but very careful to not get robbed at home, and there we/they had their online stuff stolen! No real, digital, or imaginative world is safe it seems.

This week kicked off with a bang - or rather a cloud of dust. I'll pull together a new challenge just now, but basically I'm going to be busy with some fixer upper jobs. Fix myself (her -> 'er) fix'er self up; fix the house up, fix things... Hopefully I won't end up in a fix.

• Like 4