• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rookie

Rookie, Do Hear Those Drums?

I could of slept forever! My body needs to hibernate to feel better I guess. 

Seize the day!

- Randomly stretch out legs and hips

- Marinate chicken at lunch

- Relax + Watch more kdrama

• Like 2

Been doing all sorts of random things to keep busy. 

Work wise, I get to learn React Native which was a bit bleh to set up but now I think it is going well. 

Home wise, yesterday we started our sauerkraut. We did 3 cabbages and mixed in garlic, carrot and jalapenos. Today I sliced some jalapenos to add to my pickle jar. A few days ago BF, roomy and I started playing Terraria and I started playing Black Desert Online because my sister asked me to get it so we could play together. We have played together once so far. I am only lvl 19 but so far so good. The hands in my butterfly painting are done which means I am almost done it. And we started Umbrella Academy. 

My brother, sister and I have a camping trip coming up in 2 weeks. As of right now it is in the air whether it will be allowed or not. Part of our province is opening up to "Phase 2" which allows campsites and beaches to reopen... its hard to tell if our campground is in the areas opening up come Friday. 

• Like 4

Good luck on the camping trip. I am sure it will be fun if you can go. And I am curious how the sauerkraut goes. Hubby hasn't let me do much fermenting that isn't alcohol yet.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Good luck on the camping trip. I am sure it will be fun if you can go. And I am curious how the sauerkraut goes. Hubby hasn't let me do much fermenting that isn't alcohol yet.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks :) Will do. So far I think its going well but they opened up the jars because their was some pieces stuck to the glass and BF was worried that it would be mouldy. It looks like it is going well so far though! 

The camping website was updated to have a list of campsites that are opening (and when) and that are not. Ours was on the list of not opening. I was on the phone with my brother for about an hour trying to figure this out. We made a new reservation at one but we didn't notice that it was also on the not opening list until after....(oopsie doopsie). So we made another new one at one that is for sure opening but it says it is opening the 26 which is the day we will be arriving. Hopefully it all goes smoothly :P My brother suggested we just keep both reservations for now on the off chance that the other park does in fact open then we can choose which one we want to go to. SOOO I think that means I can set up my tent to make sure it has everything all the poles and pieces. 

YAY CAMPING. And I just found out the thrift store near me is open again so that means I can drop off my random boxes of donations finally :)

• Like 4

I need to "shadow" someone who eats healthy portions lol Food is truly something I struggle with (obviously). I need a good eating role model lol so I can see what and how much 'normal' people eat. I was watching my BFs sisters eat (who are very healthy weights) when we were at their parents and we all had 1 burger and they were done eating. I tried to have 1 burger as well but his parents kept telling me to eat more and I found out there was no dessert so I justified having another one. Then his mom brought out a bowl of nuts after dinner and I ate a lot of them. FACEPALM. Be goood Rookie. Gawd. I will be eating while in my head I am like "This is going against our goals......... you are undoing your hard work." 

Also I need to move more so that when I do snackies its not so bad.

To do today/over the next few days:

- Separate meat into portions and freeze [✓]

- Cook up ground beef for lasagna [✓ change of plan*]

- Get Mozzarella from the store

- Set up tent to air it out [lol**]

- Change bike tires

- Replant basil + cilantro T_T All my baby plants died when I brought them outside [✓]

- Laundry

- Make pickled jalapenos for my dad for fathers day

- order my sister's birthday gift

*Decided to make shepherd's pie for dinner tonight and we are having chicken tomorrow. But the beef did get cooked up for tonight's dinner 👍

** I'm an idiot lol 😂 my tent isn't a tent. It's a screened room that has a tunnel that attaches to a tent. My mom gave it to me and we didn't look closely at it I guess hahaha so I need to get a tent

• Like 3

Tent fiasco solved. My brother said I could borrow his second tent. Yah! 

I am feeling a slight surge of motivation to continue on my quest of wanting to emerge from quarantine better than I was. So I am trying to use that to organize what I want to do for the next challenge. So far I have a title (which might be the hardest part?!) and a rough idea of goals. I am stuck on my food goals though because they aren't as easy to define as my exercise ones.. I am worried I will bite off more than I can manage though. Or more than I can force myself to do.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

am stuck on my food goals though because they aren't as easy to define as my exercise ones.. I am worried I will bite off more than I can manage though. Or more than I can force myself to do.

Tough stuff! 

On 6/11/2020 at 9:13 PM, Rookie said:

I was watching my BFs sisters eat (who are very healthy weights) when we were at their parents and we all had 1 burger and they were done eating.

My partner used to be used to eating a lot bigger portions than he does now, and what he did when he lost lots of weight (besides play games a couple of times a week that equalled to 30 mins HIIT I think) 

Was to add LOTS of vegetables to what he cooks, sometimes fresh veggies just before he gets everything out of the pan, and no rice or patatoes or w/e but a tasty sauce. Like satay (Indonesian peanut butter sauce) or something very cheesy (but you could still see the food under the cheesiness :D )

Just brainstorming 🤔

(Since we have not been seeing each other and exercising etc. as much as then we both gained weight haha)

On 6/11/2020 at 9:13 PM, Rookie said:

I tried to have 1 burger as well but his parents kept telling me to eat more

That's annoying haha. Maybe exaggerate next time so they will leave you alone? "I am so full I will get super sick if I eat more" sometimes works better than admitting to people you are trying to watch what you eat. Like cigarette smokers offering a cig to people who are trying to stop. They mean well but it doesn't help haha (not the best example but you know?)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Tough stuff! 

My partner used to be used to eating a lot bigger portions than he does now, and what he did when he lost lots of weight (besides play games a couple of times a week that equalled to 30 mins HIIT I think) 

Was to add LOTS of vegetables to what he cooks, sometimes fresh veggies just before he gets everything out of the pan, and no rice or patatoes or w/e but a tasty sauce. Like satay (Indonesian peanut butter sauce) or something very cheesy (but you could still see the food under the cheesiness :D )

Just brainstorming 🤔

(Since we have not been seeing each other and exercising etc. as much as then we both gained weight haha)

Yes I found that helpful for a bit but I fell out of the habit 😱 I like the idea of just snacking on raw veggies while cooking. 

That's annoying haha. Maybe exaggerate next time so they will leave you alone? "I am so full I will get super sick if I eat more" sometimes works better than admitting to people you are trying to watch what you eat. Like cigarette smokers offering a cig to people who are trying to stop. They mean well but it doesn't help haha (not the best example but you know?)

Yah I might try that. I don't get why this mom doesn't understand she's been working on losing weight because she's prediabetic. But it's a culture thing for sure. And I guess they know I like big portions so they think I still want big portions. 

I appreciate brainstorms for sure.

What I've come up with so far is:

- I can have unlimited fruits and veggies for now

- every meal must have at least 1 fruit or veggie

- only 1 starch allowed per meal... 1 starch being 1 wrap, 1 medium potato, 1 cup of pasta, 1 cup of rice, 2 slices of bread. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Hmm I think I will need to try this. 

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

What I've come up with so far is:

- I can have unlimited fruits and veggies for now

- every meal must have at least 1 fruit or veggie

- only 1 starch allowed per meal... 1 starch being 1 wrap, 1 medium potato, 1 cup of pasta, 1 cup of rice, 2 slices of bread. 

I like this plan. :D 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Hmm I think I will need to try this. 

:) other things I remembered:

- Experiment with texture, like adding a handful of nuts or parmesan flakes

- make sure every meal is colorful (at least 2 of the standard green/yellow/red veggie color scheme)

- most of us have spices in our cabinets we don't use a lot, smell/taste a random one and throw in something that seems like it will be tasty with the other flavors.

This may be obvious for some but I learnt a lot from him 😄 Maybe I should try implementing that again too.

- And a classic one I always forget; chew deliberately. Something about your mind catching up with your stomache, or the other way around, I believe...

• Like 3

:)- most of us have spices in our cabinets we don't use a lot, smell/taste a random one and throw in something that seems like it will be tasty with the other flavors.

I tend to use a lot of the same ones lol but I'm pretty good about using most of mine surprisingly. I've even started adding small pinches of thyme in things if the recipe calls for it.. I don't like the but I think I'm changing my mind in small doses lol

- And a classic one I always forget; chew deliberately. Something about your mind catching up with your stomache, or the other way around, I believe...

Oh yes this one is important and I often forget it. This is a part of me trying to change my mentality to "enjoy my good more" instead of just eat it all mindlessly.

• Like 3

I have tried to slow myself down while eating. Like count to 100 chews for each bite. In general, I just have to tell myself to slow it down. :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, analoggirl said:

:) other things I remembered:

- Experiment with texture, like adding a handful of nuts or parmesan flakes

- make sure every meal is colorful (at least 2 of the standard green/yellow/red veggie color scheme)

- most of us have spices in our cabinets we don't use a lot, smell/taste a random one and throw in something that seems like it will be tasty with the other flavors.

This may be obvious for some but I learnt a lot from him 😄 Maybe I should try implementing that again too.

This is great, thanks. :)

• Like 2

I second the idea of adding more colourful vegetables to your diet. Plating a dish in the kitchen and not allowing yourself seconds is also a way of not overeating, and using smaller plates might help here as well. I'd be careful with really strict rules, but that also might be just me. One of the nice things about many vegetables is that you can eat them in many ways, and therefore they are flexible in meal-planning. Name three vegetables, and you can make dishes in so many different styles: a salad, in a tomato sauce, in a stir-fry, in an omelette, etc.

Lastly, you counted calories for some portion of this year. Do you happen to know where your current extra calories are coming from? What would an ideal food-day look like for you? Can you make a few template-days, so that you can mix and match as desired?

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, Rookie said:

So far I have a title (which might be the hardest part?!)

The title is ALWAYS the hardest part.

Sounds like you've been making progress and figuring stuff out. Look forward to following the next one.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, Waanie said:

I second the idea of adding more colourful vegetables to your diet. Plating a dish in the kitchen and not allowing yourself seconds is also a way of not overeating, and using smaller plates might help here as well. I'd be careful with really strict rules, but that also might be just me. One of the nice things about many vegetables is that you can eat them in many ways, and therefore they are flexible in meal-planning. Name three vegetables, and you can make dishes in so many different styles: a salad, in a tomato sauce, in a stir-fry, in an omelette, etc.

I was just goin gto do smaller rules. Like veggies and fruit I can have as many of. 1 starch per meal sort of thing. 

On 6/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, Waanie said:

Lastly, you counted calories for some portion of this year. Do you happen to know where your current extra calories are coming from? What would an ideal food-day look like for you? Can you make a few template-days, so that you can mix and match as desired?

Definitely snacking, juice and no willpower while at a friends/family house. Meal wise as long as its home cooked I generally have a good sized portion. Its just the snacks add up when I have those. And near the end I wasn't measuring out my oils and I was having cereal but not measuring the portion out. I think an ideal day for me would just be 3 meals and no snacking.. .That way when I want a snack as a treat on the rare occasion, I can afford it. Another thing I have trouble with is when we eat out or at friends houses where they have the food in front of us. At home I dish out my meal ahead of time and leave the rest in the kitchen. Other places tend to leave food out during the meal, and people keep offering more and then later on they bring out snacks or something. 

3 hours ago, Whisper said:

The title is ALWAYS the hardest part.

Sounds like you've been making progress and figuring stuff out. Look forward to following the next one.

Thanks! :) Already made the new thread ❤️ feel free to follow along. 

• Like 2