• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Just Writes

I'm glad that you are getting to do lab work again, even though there are some glitches to work out.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:48 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

As for kneading the globby mess, should I just really mix well with a spoon and let it sit a bit  before turning it out? I don’t have a super great space for kneading so I use my table and just wondering how to not make a massive mess everywhere. If that’s possible. With the extra flour I can survive. But a higher hydration bread might be tricky. Also should I still flour the surface lightly?

Here is my take on making bread. I have not made specialty bread like foccacia. Mostly regular white or wheat bread - homestyle rather than artisan.

Advice from my grandmother - stir it a bunch with a spoon before adding all the flour. You can develop the gluten by stirring rather than kneading. After you have stirred the thick batter for a bit, stir in the rest of the flour a half cup at a time. It is ready to knead when all the flour is added or you can't stir it with a spoon anymore, whichever comes first. It is a good idea to let it sit a few minutes before kneading. That lets the last flour you added absorb water and get less sticky.

As Paul said, flour measurement is difficult. You can get an accurate mass for your flour, but there is no easy way to know how much of that mass is moisture absorbed from the air. Consider the recipe as a guideline rather than a precise formulation. Start with a little less than the recipe calls for and see how it behaves. You may have to add an extra cup of flour if your house is humid.

The type of flour you use makes a difference too. All purpose flour will stay sticky even when it has been kneaded enough. I remember the first time I used bread flour. My dough actually got smooth and elastic, like it says in the recipe! Dough with all purpose flour will get elastic, but not smooth. As Paul said, you would have to really work at it to over-knead by hand. I figure that when the dough stops sticking to the bread board in a 5-second test, it has incorporated enough flour. You can keep kneading several minutes after that point to give a tighter texture to the bread. Less gluten development means it can't hold air bubbles as well.

How fast it rises depends on your yeast and the temperature of your kitchen. We just got new yeast and it is MUCH more active than the old yeast. If your yeast seems sluggish, give it extra time at the batter stage before adding all the flour. I have a recipe that mixes the yeast, liquid, honey, salt and part of the flour, then let it sit for 30 minutes or until bubbly. After that it calls for adding the rest of the flour. You can tell the first rising is done when you poke the dough with a finger and the impression stays down. If it pops back, the dough is still rising. Timing on this is flexible. You can punch it down early and still get good bread. There is also such a thing as waiting too long. The yeast will stop because there is too much CO2 and the gluten can get over-stretched. That is bad. It sounds like that might be what happened on the second rising when your loaves collapsed when you slashed them. I would expect risen loaves to just separate a bit when slashed, not to fall.

Your oven probably has hot and cold areas. Most home ovens do. You can test this by cutting squares of bread (think home-made crutons) and setting them in a pattern on both racks in your oven. Bake at 350ºF and monitor how fast they brown every 5-10 minutes. If you put a little butter on them first and take the toasted ones out, you won't waste any bread in the experiment. :D

I knead my bread on the kitchen counter which has a smooth laminate surface, or on the dining room table. The table is at a better height for putting my hips into the kneading. It feels a lot like rowing exercise. I have a bread board that I put on the table. A large, smooth cutting board would be a good substitute.

I hope these suggestions help. Your biscotti look amazing. Congratulations on successful baking and grilling!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 6:43 PM, Mistr said:

I hope these suggestions help.

They absolutely Do!

———————

Here we are, finally on the weekend. I’m actually fairly busy this weekend with some video calls scheduled Saturday and Sunday, plus a friend stopping by to distantly pick up some thing I ordered her a while back. She and her partner are going to be down the street for another thing, so it seemed a good time to pick things up. 

In the end the work week wasn’t terrible. I still am a little meh, but not like I was on Wednesday. Thursday night I skipped even the evening yoga is normally do, since my body and brain were still rebelling a bit. If the class would have been an easy one I might have fought through it but the class was a warned hard one. So a good decision to skip. 

Went to bed early, did NP in the humid morning weather, and actually started work right after the workout. Was productive until 4, then called it quits. Baked an oatmeal banana bread from an Alton Brown cookbook that’s currently cooking and I can’t wait to try. 

some patio furniture should arrive this weekend, so I’ll be doing furniture assembly at some point. But hopefully I’ll get extra sleep and unwind some. Maybe even have a real cup of coffee. That’ll be novel after nearly a month workout it...

• Like 4

Well the last few days have been.... a thing.  Been fun watching the world (probably a bit too closely) fall apart.  But doing what I can in the mean time, whatever small part I can play.

This weekend was relatively straight forward for me (besides watching the news cycle).  I had a friend who needed to pick up some stuff I ordered for her and her mother who swung by for a distant wave and pick up.  I thought I had a call that afternoon, but turned out I didn't.  So I went for a 4.7 mile hike on an actual dedicated trail in the reservation near me.  I haven't ever really done ONE trail when I walk there.  Usually I'm just wandering and trying to avoid people.  Saturday I thought I'd try one trail the whole time.  It was a really good trail, though crazy elevation shifts made rucking it much more difficult than I expected it to be.  Three days later and my body is still grumpy with my choices.  But it was a nice hike, and made me realize I should start looking at trails in the area a bit more seriously, instead of just my wander-method.  

When I got home, some of my new porch furniture arrived.  The box was.... much larger than I was anticipating.  Getting it up three flights of stairs alone was not the most straightforward of tasks, especially after the long and exhausting hike.  I ended up using the repeated ass-over-teakettle method, flipping the box end over end, mized with pushing the box up the stairs along the stair edge.  Once IN the house I could semi lumber my way to the back porch with the box.  It got tossed outside, I made a large brunch, and then taking the next hour or so to construct my new swivel rocking chair.  While I would have loved to have the full-length couch delivered instead, the chair is likely to get the most use anyway.  So it's nice it came first.  After that I watched SpaceX launch people into space, and then relaxed the rest of the night.

Sunday we had a dojo board meeting.  We're starting to think up ways that we can have some dojo community building and/or classes again.  I pitched some weekly classes in a park, weather permitting.  It could be weapons, or even potentially ukemi if we find a place with enough grass.  Over all people liked the idea, and we're going to have an all dojo meeting next Sunday to discuss those options.  Something that would let us get our aikido in again would be nice.  I've been using a lot of MENTAL aikido, and finding movements across the physical activities I've been doing.  But otherwise.... not so much.  There was a discussion about having a video discourse class/meeting set up.  I was less a fan because just.... academia-type things just aren't in my wheelhouse these days.  Grad school plus new job requirements having me focus a lot on my professional learning means I just don't have the bandwidth to spend another couple of hours studying when I need to unwind.  The physical pairing of things at the dojo when normally training off sets that under normal circumstances, but just watching videos to discourse is.... blarg.  The rest of Sunday was actually mostly chores.  I needed to go grocery shopping, and get laundry done.  Tidy up the house, mostly.  It was relatively peaceful.

Yesterday I skipped NP, because my body was still not pleased with the Saturday hike, and I had a bunch of insomnia.  Today I was debating taking a long walk, but.... mehhhhh.  I'll probably post this and go take a stroll around the corner to the park near me.  But otherwise that might be it.  I do plan on doing NP tomorrow morning, plus afternoon yoga.  Thursday will end up being more yoga, and then Friday shall be more NP.

Food wise I've been doing okay, but still not super.  I did weigh myself again on Sunday, and came in at 214.  Not great, but not terrible.  Importantly my waist measurement was still about 35.5-35.75", which is better than it's been in forever so I'm rolling with it.  I am trying to regulate all the carby things in my face, but I also am not stopping my baking trials, though I haven't touched bread attempts since last weekend.  I might try that later this week.  Honestly I have two things ahead of more bread in my cooking plans: A Nom Nom Paleo Char Sui recipe, and a blackberry scone recipe (assuming I don't eat all my blackberries before I get there).  Just things to try out.  

Anyway.  Gonna stop now and at least try to take this small walk.

• Like 2

The weather has been beautiful the last few days here, if unseasonably hot.  This has made working very difficult in the "but I just want to lounge" category.  But somehow I've mostly accomplished my tasks this week, plus a few extra things thrown at me, so I guess things haven't been all terrible.

Wednesday I made some excellent blackberry scones.  I tweaked the recipe a smidge in using more blackberries, and I added about a teaspoon of vanilla.  Also I just have salted butter, so that was what was used (and while I understand the rational on why to use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt, I've never had an issue with a baked good being too salty because of the butter).  Given it was super hot that day and that my kitchen is stuffy to begin with, I was a bit worried that the dough would have been too warm to keep things light and airy.  But these were actually super light, held together really well, and the vanilla added just the right amount of something else to the dough where there were no berries.  All in all, I need to figure out how to make them a bit prettier (I may attempt just square cuts next time, tradition be damned), but flavor profile was solid, if a bit on the less-sweet side, since I didn't sprinkle with sugar or make a glaze.  But still, very pleased with how they came out.  I even used my food processor to make the dough, since the cold butter wasn't grating well and I don't have a pastry cutter.  Worked wonders.  Pictures behind the spoiler.  I'm also making the Char sui pork tonight, as it's been marinating for the last 16 hours.

Spoiler

102662951_10100459146963077_245353894588

Not the prettiest picture, but I was excited right out of the oven.

101846445_10100459146988027_913938209166

Workouts and movement wise, I made NP Wednesday morning and today.  Both days were incredibly humid by the time the workout started, partially today because we had a massive downpour at about 4am.  Pretty and relaxing to listen to, but not great for humidity.  Wednesday I did the afternoon yoga, and did a harder yoga class last night, too.  I did however make the mistake of eating too soon before class last night, so my stomach was not particularly thrilled with the idea of fire breath and hollow body work we were doing.  Oh well, lesson learned.  The Thursday class got moved to a later time, and the class ended well past my IF window, so I just ate earlier than usual and probably too fast.  In the future I'll make sure to try and push the window a bit later those days.  Yesterday I was starving at 0900, so I also ate a bit earlier than usual.

Also, I'm starting to think about what it'll be like to have aikido classes start back up again.  It's going to be so bizarre actually going some where after work that isn't just in walking distance.  There's a talk of a slow ramp up to multiple classes a week, which is good.  Before all this had happened I was starting to think about where I could maybe pull back some to get some time back.  Maybe this will allow me to stress test some things.  I'm also starting to look into hiking groups in the Boston area.  It's one of the things that I've always really liked to do, and while I usually like doing them alone, having a group to do things with seems like a nice way to force myself to get out and meet other people.  Yes, this is a blatant attempt to get out and maybe get some dates.  And if not, then I'll get some new hiking trails to learn, which is something I really need.  I like the Fells, but they are getting a bit stale for me right now.

This weekend I was going to go for a hike early in the morning, but I was called for Emergency Moving Help.  TinMan and his wife bought a house back in.... April? I helped them with some painting, and I also offered other physical labor help, as they now have a massive yard.  Their lease at their apartment was under some weird wobble, and now their former landlord is being a jerk about moving their stuff out, despite the lease not actually being over or having the space rented.  So rather than hike, I'll be walking up and down three flights of stairs to pack their stuff into a truck.  Good workout anyway.

Maybe I'll try to make brownies tonight as well.  Give them consolation brownies.  We all know I know how terrible landlords can be.

• Like 3

Yay for new porch furniture and successful scones!

I hear you on switching up exercise and not being sure about aikido. My dojo has been doing video classes. I went to the first few and then stopped. I'd rather do yoga solo than aikido. One of the senseis is offering an outdoor weapons class this Friday. Probably just solo kata for now since partner kata get closer than 6 feet. If he lived closer I'd be more tempted to go.

Good for your helping TinMan and his wife move. That is the best kind of real-world workout.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, Mistr said:

Yay for new porch furniture and successful scones!

Unfortunately my couch is on an even more severe back order than expected.  Long enough that they said the couch would be automatically cancelled if it doesn't have a ship day by the middle of next month. :( 

But yes, the scones are still a win!

I hear you on switching up exercise and not being sure about aikido. My dojo has been doing video classes. I went to the first few and then stopped. I'd rather do yoga solo than aikido. One of the senseis is offering an outdoor weapons class this Friday. Probably just solo kata for now since partner kata get closer than 6 feet. If he lived closer I'd be more tempted to go.

I know I want aikido to still be around, but a lot of my issues have been nothing lead, and no movement with things that are tossed out.  At the end of the day I need some movement, and watching videos just doesn't cut it.  We DID have our first Zoom class lead by Sensei and it was.... more productive than I had expected, honestly.  His english is terrible, and his brain works in weird ways that apparently in Japanese is STILL not great at getting the point across (I've seen some fun body language from the native speakers who just have giant WTF faces when he tries to talk about things he comes up with).  It was about taking ukemi, without a partner, and how the body shifts to simulate things.  From the sounds of it it'll be a more regular thing, but also it's being poorly planned even when people as questions, soooo..... There's also the point my instructor thinks non-contact aikido isn't useful, which isn't wrong, but also missed the point that getting a class together is about a community gathering at this point, too, which several of us on the board are trying to emphasize.  But who knows how that'll turn out.  It has been a hill I've been fighting for, and I've done what I can, but I can't exactly start leading things given my stuff does require contact.

Good for your helping TinMan and his wife move. That is the best kind of real-world workout.

I was so dead after this.  What had been intended as a few hours of help turned into the whole day because the truck they had gotten was too small (the classic "We thought we were done and we have SO MUCH MORE STUFF THAN EXPECTED part of apartment cleaning).  So I ended up cancelling my afternoon plans, offered my car as additional moving space, and helped.  It meant that not only did I get to pack, but also unload things at their new place, 40 minutes away from where I live.  It actually wiped me out a bit more than I was expecting, honestly.

Also part of this wipe out was an all-dojo meeting that made my brain hurt.  And sent me spiraling into a bit of brain weasels that has lasted most of this week.  So this week has not been great.

Monday I skipped NP, because I recognized I needed sleep.  Tuesday and Wednesday I was up early for work reasons both days.  Today I'm taking it easy-ish and also just trying to relax a bit.  I have not been eating super well the last few days, and my fasting window and ability to focus on keeping fasted is all over the place.  I'm trying to keep to the window, but also just letting myself be okay with not?  I might reset a bit for whatever next challenge brings, in the sense of maybe tying in some calorie counting, too (mainly for the explicitly Bad Stuff).

Also last night was a bit heavy at the end of the night, both stemming from BLM.  An aikido friend with a disability is seeing a lot of overlap between the things being brought up as needed for black / POC communities, and the things she needs to be successful in life because of her disability.  But because of the intense race-based focus, feels these things will be made available for the able bodied people, but similar things for the disabled population will be lost and then ignored as requiring "too much."  And she's not entirely wrong, but she also feels marginalized as a result of it, and is not particularly thrilled when people vocally support the movement.  So there's some minor group friction that's occurring since we understand the feelings and thoughts, but also don't think rejecting the movement for that reason is warranted.  We get it, but also are a bit unsure how to really support things here.

Following that call, I listened to a panel of Aikido people, and how to look at systemic racism from an aikido perspective.  Lots of good commentary and things for me to chew on that are still digesting, and it did make me realize I HAVE the power at my dojo now to try and implement things that help equalize the art and dojo to marginalized people.  I do believe we are welcoming over all, but one of the major things the panel brought up was outreach.  My friend/fellow board member felt like we can make a statement about inclusivity, but felt we didn't have the legs to stand on due to the outreach portion of things.  My counter to that was we really don't do ANY outreach to anyone at this point.  So at least being vocal about working on inclusivity and being welcoming is a small, needed step. I also said we can expand on the inclusivity statement to include those with disabilities, and mention the voice being supplied now is due to the lessons learned and spurred on by the currently BLM movement and how allies need to speak up more than they have in the past.

So it was a fairly heavy night.  The fact my brain today isn't all brain weasely as a result is probably a good sign, but also daunting.  I'm trying to fight for getting a community together, expanding the community, keep myself physically healthy, expand what I'm doing at work and keep myself productive there and my career path in the right direction, the downstairs neighbor I like setting up to sell her unit, and also trying to find ways to not go insane in the meantime.

So yea.  I've been quiet here because I have a lot on my plate and I'm still trying to figure it out.  And looking at that list above, I realized I don't even make a mention of COVID.  Oofta.

Positive things: last night I made off-the-cuff asian-inspired stuffed cabbage rolls using mushroom, scallion, cabbage, and ground turkey.  Seasoned with soy sauce, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, and copious amounts of chinese five spice.  They came out REALLY good.  I also made amazing brownies on Sunday when my brain weasels were acting up.  And my HOA special assessment payment (need to fix our gutters and clean them, and remove a tree in the front of the house) are fairly cheap.  I also think I'm going to try another attempt at the Rosemary olive oil bread.  I'll keep a closer eye on the rising to make sure it doesn't over proof, and while the oven can't change, I did get a new ceramic pan by helping TinMan and Wife move.  Won't hold heat quite as much metal, but the fact it will heat up quick is a boon here.  I just need to find a way to transfer the loaves from wherever I let them raise to the preheated pan. Sunday I have a virtual meeting with my college buddies, too.  Plus I'm going to try and tackle a 10 mile hike (without ruck!) that's south of the city for some new scenes.  

Positive stuff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I'm trying to fight for getting a community together, expanding the community, keep myself physically healthy, expand what I'm doing at work and keep myself productive there and my career path in the right direction, the downstairs neighbor I like setting up to sell her unit, and also trying to find ways to not go insane in the meantime.

This sounds like struggles I had back when I was a pastor instead of a chaplain.

My sympathy on the struggles of your aikido community. Maybe since most dojos are in the same boat, someone will come up with a winning plan for outreach to young and diverse people.

3 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I just need to find a way to transfer the loaves from wherever I let them raise to the preheated pan.

^^^This one I can help with.

Parchment paper. Parchment paper is your friend for all kinds of baking situations. Cut a piece that is the same length as your pan in one direction, and about three times the width in the other direction. Let your bread dough rise in the middle of it. When it is ready, pick it up by the overhanging ends of the parchment paper and set it in the hot pan. Parchment paper is fine at oven temperatures. It does not need to be greased for bread, unless you want some extra butter flavor in the crust. It will come right off after the bread has cooled.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:14 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

BLM.  An aikido friend with a disability is seeing a lot of overlap between the things being brought up as needed for black / POC communities, and the things she needs to be successful in life because of her disability.  But because of the intense race-based focus, feels these things will be made available for the able bodied people, but similar things for the disabled population will be lost and then ignored as requiring "too much."  And she's not entirely wrong, but she also feels marginalized as a result of it, and is not particularly thrilled when people vocally support the movement.

That’s rough. I can definitely understand her feelings too. It’s gotta be tough to deal with being part of a group that historically trails a lot of racial groups when it comes to rights. Whether it’s true or not, the differently-abled community seems to often perceive themselves as being the last people on the roster to get included in progressive social movements.

But these social movements also seem to have a wave effect, and sooner or later, equal rights for all groups get dragged in that direction. We have to acknowledge it’s understandable she should feel fear that her group will be left out; but she also has an opportunity to help start that wave and ultimately help everyone, including herself. 

On 6/11/2020 at 10:14 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

I also think I'm going to try another attempt at the Rosemary olive oil bread.  I'll keep a closer eye on the rising to make sure it doesn't over proof, and while the oven can't change, I did get a new ceramic pan by helping TinMan and Wife move.  Won't hold heat quite as much metal, but the fact it will heat up quick is a boon here.  I just need to find a way to transfer the loaves from wherever I let them raise to the preheated pan.

Awesome!

Agreed with @Mistr, parchment paper is legit, though I just use bare fingies and risk the burns.

Ceramic generally heats up slower (lower conductivity) than metal, and therefore would also deliver heat more slowly. However, it has a decently high specific heat capacity, which is a big pro; I’d predict it will work much better than the sheet pan.

If you’re concerned about proofing, google the “finger-dent test” or the poke test. It’s the best way I’ve found to tell when bread is done proofing, or if it’s overproofed. Timing will only get you so far, yeast activity just depends on too many variables.

If you really want to hone in on one thing that will take your bread to the next level though, I’d take a look at the skill of shaping. It’s the #1 thing most beginners need to improve on. Whether a piece of dough is shaped or not makes a huge difference in how the loaf turns out. A lot of issues with shaping mimic the symptoms of overproofing (like deflating, too much spread in the oven instead of oven spring), because shaping has a huge effect on gluten alignment, which in turn changes how the loaf holds onto gas during proofing and how it expands in the oven. Well-shaped loaves generally rise taller, spread less, and have an airier crumb.

Shaping is 100% a simple dough handling skill, not difficult, but not something a recipe can teach you easily.

See: shaping a boule. Once, or twice.

Shaping a batard.

With bread, tune out what people are saying if you like, but always watch their hands. The biggest skill in bread is the simple act of handling the dough. And it doesn’t rely on any special ingredients, so no recipe can teach it to you. You have to learn by observation and practice. This is true of any mid- to high-level cooking, but especially bread. The person you’re watching may be a terrible teacher, who can’t explain for crap what they’re doing, but if you watch their hands, you’ll learn something.

If you learn the finger-dent test and a shaping technique, I have a feeling you’ll be much happier with your next loaf.

If you’re interested, but unsure when in the process you should shape the dough, let me know.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to come write a post for a week.  Whoops.

Rosemary bread Mk II:

Spoiler

102819913_10100463778391657_176800888501

So let's see.  I used the parchment paper that @Mistr suggested.  And I also used a lot more mixing in my attempt to make the dough before turning it out on the counter to attempt to knead it.  Far more than I have in the past.  So, on the positive side, the bread tasted pretty good.  Certainly can't complain.  It maybe could have been cooked a bit longer, and I definitely needed to add a whole lot of bread flour to the dough before I could even get something approaching a reasonable ball.  I need to find a better recipe I think, preferably one with gram weights.  Also I had the deflate thing happen again, when I moved the bread.

After looking at @PaulG's videos, couple things popped out.  One I can punch down the dough more.  I've been super gentle with the dough, afraid that disturbing it too much would make it super dense.  So I think, based on the watching, that I need to be a bit more forceful.  Also I definitely need to shape the loaves better.  Part of this will be helped by the whole "harder punch down" thing, but also just the concept of how to produce tension along side of a loaf.  And how long to leave things.  Maybe I've been impatient.  There will be repeat attempts of this for sure.

And with that, the challenge is done.  I am.... better than I was when the challenge started.  I'm still a bit anxious over all, but I'm not constantly feeling under threat I think.  I have a few ideas for an actual challenge for next week's new challenge, I just need to think up how I want to do things.  I have some newer things on the horizon, so we shall see what occurs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Rosemary bread Mk II:After looking at @PaulG's videos, couple things popped out.  One I can punch down the dough more.  I've been super gentle with the dough, afraid that disturbing it too much would make it super dense.  So I think, based on the watching, that I need to be a bit more forceful.  Also I definitely need to shape the loaves better.  Part of this will be helped by the whole "harder punch down" thing, but also just the concept of how to produce tension along side of a loaf.  And how long to leave things.  Maybe I've been impatient.  There will be repeat attempts of this for sure.

Thanks @PaulG for the videos! 

I was taught to punch down the dough and get all the air bubbles out. That is considerably more forceful than what he shows in the videos (and a lot of fun!). The idea is that the yeast has been producing carbon dioxide which is stretching the gluten. You want to get rid of all that CO2 because it will inhibit the yeast from further metabolism. You want the yeast to make new air pockets (of CO2) as your bread rises the second time.

I'm sure there are lots more nuances on how different times for rising and different handling are used for different types of bread. Please share your experiments as you explore them. 🍞

• Like 1