• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl/Joy was always there

Thanks for sharing. I was just talking about this with my mother yesterday evening. "Good men do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly. Bad men will find a way around it." The internet says Plato said this.

How do you sort the minority from the majority, though? A minority out of millions of people is still a lot. (I have no answer atm.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

Thanks for sharing. I was just talking about this with my mother yesterday evening. "Good men do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly. Bad men will find a way around it." The internet says Plato said this.

How do you sort the minority from the majority, though? A minority out of millions of people is still a lot. (I have no answer atm.)

You don't really.That's part of the risk of a free society. I'd rather take that risk though and live in a free country than live under the authority of a government running my life "for my own good"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

You don't really.That's part of the risk of a free society. I'd rather take that risk though and live in a free country than live under the authority of a government running my life "for my own good"

Huh. That's the stance I took a while back with regards to a new Criminal Law regulation here. I guess it's more difficult for me to stand behind it when it requires more actions. 

I have been postponing getting my stance clear about what I believe in, what I stand for, what I am willing to fight for etc. I think because I don't feel like I would be useful if it ever comes to that. It might be time to do so anyway.

Thanks for the inspiration, even though I'm not American.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

She said she wouldn't collect the information unless it was required by law, and that she expected a lot of people would give pseudonyms. 

You should figure out Elastigirl's phone number....

It bothers me that so many people are alright with this invasion of our rights.

I won't lie, I am one of those people erring on the side of caution.  I still don't go out much, I wear a mask when I do, (I wish more people would as our state reopens, but I don't call people out in public because it won't accomplish anything).  Anyway, even I think this requirement is crazy.  You're absolutely right, people will give fake names, fake numbers, it will not be as helpful as they think it will and will probably hurt more than help because now, like you said, fewer people may want to get tested due to said impact on others.  I hope your governor hears from and meets with actual restaurant owners and comes up with a feasible plan. (For example, one of the things our downtown district is considering is closing down some of the downtown streets and having detours during dinner hours to allow places to put seating in the street to accommodate more while still distancing.)

Sorry you're having an angry day.  I hope it gets better!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

(For example, one of the things our downtown district is considering is closing down some of the downtown streets and having detours during dinner hours to allow places to put seating in the street to accommodate more while still distancing.)

This is excellent. I'm bewildered why we haven't talked more about outdoor dining. The risks are so much lower outdoors, and it's summer so it would be wonderful to eat outside. Since there are fewer diners, they could even use some of the parking lot spaces. Nope, the governor's version of talking with them, from what I can tell, is telling them what they will do if they want to open and then announcing how cooperative they are. A lot of restaurants are worried about how long they can afford to stay in business

• Like 1

I have a simple solution. As a sign of solidarity, anyone not comfortable giving their info for contact tracing should all give the governor's name and number at restaurants.

• Haha 1
  • That's Metal 2

40 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I have a simple solution. As a sign of solidarity, anyone not comfortable giving their info for contact tracing should all give the governor's name and number at restaurants.

This is amazing. 

4 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Huh. That's the stance I took a while back with regards to a new Criminal Law regulation here. I guess it's more difficult for me to stand behind it when it requires more actions. 

I have been postponing getting my stance clear about what I believe in, what I stand for, what I am willing to fight for etc. I think because I don't feel like I would be useful if it ever comes to that. It might be time to do so anyway.

Thanks for the inspiration, even though I'm not American.

This time has been good for me to think through those things. I don't feel like I'm useful, and I feel like most of the stuff I do on that front is like spitting in the wind. But, I just sort of decided I had to do something, and maybe if everybody does a bit of something , all the little somethings will add up. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I was going to suggest the same, except that everyone at the restaurant be named Ron Swanson. 

• Like 3

Well, the rest of the day I spent too much too stewing on my state problems. But I got some done, and I have intentions to do some scrapbook and cook a bit of chicken this evening.

After my workout, I went on a ruck. Went down to the middle school track. It was a good walk. I have to hike a hill to get to the school, but on the track it's just level. I like to walk there and watch the kids (teens) playing. There were a group of 5 guys playing football, and a family playing soccer, and some teen girls exercising, and other people  walking or running the track.I like being around people.I like the fact that the teens  aren't supposed to be playing with each other (we are still on lockdown) but they don't care, they are just enjoying their lives.  I went away feeling a bit better.

I painted some scrap wood with the two colors I'm thinking of painting the guest room.Both colors are white with a hint of gray, but all I see is white. I really wanted more gray. So now I have to decide if it's good enough, or if I want to try another color.

I weeded a garden bed. Someone had put a painted rock in my garden! How sweet was that?! I needed that bit of kindness today. My dahlias are starting to sprout, so I staked them. Summer will come, and they will be pretty.

Today I finished reading Coronavirus and Christ by John Piper. It is a good book, and reminds me that God is in control.I do not need to worry about it. He is good, and even amongst all this uncertainity, He has a plan

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I was going to suggest the same, except that everyone at the restaurant be named Ron Swanson. 

Also good, I was thinking I would be Helen Parr. I love those names though, it just says, we are not playing your game,NOPE

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Coronavirus and Christ by John Piper

How fast did he write that? Please tell me it was an eBook and not something he cranked out and got published in physical form that fast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How fast did he write that? Please tell me it was an eBook and not something he cranked out and got published in physical form that fast.

Don't know who he is (though the name does ring a bell) but... Yes? Paperback. They're even selling it in the NL? 

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/coronavirus-and-christ/9300000000335414/

14 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Someone had put a painted rock in my garden! How sweet was that?! I needed that bit of kindness today.

Awesome. I often think about doing something nice for people that tend to their garden and make it all pretty... They always make my day a bit better.

4 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

Don't know who he is (though the name does ring a bell) but... Yes? Paperback. They're even selling it in the NL? 

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/coronavirus-and-christ/9300000000335414/

He's a guy who writes a lot of books. Also of note, pagina in Dutch is spelled the same as in Spanish, pagina, though I'll bet you a nickel they are pronounced differently.

7 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

He's a guy who writes a lot of books.

Aha :) Apparently churches are spreading his book for free now (also in audio and ebook version, of course), so it's very interesting that they are asking for 15 on the website. ANYWAY,

Also of note, pagina in Dutch is spelled the same as in Spanish, pagina, though I'll bet you a nickel they are pronounced differently.

I'm not participating in that bet! Everything in Dutch with a G in it is pronounced differently than in other languages! :)

54 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It was an actual book. It is super short. Crossway publishing. I actually received it free with my magazine subscription that I have ( a Christian news magazine) No idea how they published it that fast. Interesting that they sell it in so many places in the world. 

Let's see;

Ok, first things, listened to part of a press conference with our governor today.A reporter asked him about the logs that people were going to have to sign at restaurants, and he said that he was thinking now that it would probably be voluntary. So, yeah, he probably got a lot of push back (some from the ACLU) on it. He also said he didn't know why people wouldn't want to do it because then they could know it someone they ate with had covid. So , none of us have eaten out in two months,  maybe we are inviting random strangers out to eat with us, who then come down with Covid, and we don't know??? We can only have a max of 5 person at a table. I'm fairly confident that if my family or close friends come down with Covid I will know. It's not like I'm eating out with a different crowd of people every night. Back to the  fact that I don't need the government to babysit me. And the people who are eating out with strangers every night, aren't going to care anyway, plus the probably also went to a party with 100 strangers the night before.

Did the GMB mobility conditioning 20 minutes routine, then part of my mobility workout. Went on a walk with Mr. Incredible. Later in the day I did the last part of the mobility, which was hip flexors and hips. My legs are so tired from it that while I was fixing dinner they were shaking. I may have overdone it. They aren't sore though, so maybe it's fine. I'm super motivated, because I need to work on my hip flexors in order to raise my legs further in the L-sit. I  am enjoying having a single skill goal to work on.

I am reading the book, Lean and Strong, eating skills, psychology and workouts, by Josh Hillis. I've posted podcasts by him before. I really find his approach helpful. It's more about building healthy skills then eating the perfect foods. Also , he goes a lot into the psychology of eating and making choices that I find helpful. I bought the book a few weeks ago, read a chapter and then put it down. It was very good, I just didn't even want to think about developing good skills at the moment. Yesterday, I picked it up again.

Did I mention that I was attending a Zoom bridal shower this Saturday? Covid world is weird. As if showers weren't awkward enough. I most likely will just not say anything. 

Listened to a Mike Rowe podcast today. He tells a story (in his great narrative style) and then talks about it . This one was about our Covid world, and people making decisions , and whether anyone (including the government) besides your own self is going to be good at keeping you self. Listen to the whole thing, it's interesting ,and not that long. Or. if you just want to hear him discussing the Safety third subject skip to the last 15 minutes; episode 157 A Novel Hero

https://mikerowe.com/podcast/

• Like 7

On 5/13/2020 at 8:36 PM, Elastigirl said:

Rant over, I did my L-sit workout, and now I will do some of my other life stuff.

I hear you sister, I hear you! You should see our part of the world! Our president and some of his ministers, even get together (meetings) in military outfits at times! We are being told what we are allowed to wear (no short sleeve t-shirts or open toe shoes for two), we have video footage of toddlers (4 year old ) being arrested for supposedly being on the beach with their parents. People are being shot at with rubber bullets by the police while standing in queues to get into a store to buy groceries... They also tried to block ALL online shopping, even for food, but that was stopped very quickly. We found out about 'quarantine' facilities where certain families and people were thrown into, which reminded very, very much of the old English concentration camps during the Anglo-Boer war. The one camp was luckily shut down by our constitutional court, and the other facilities are being investigated because they are not fit for humans to be in. The police/military looking after the people, also refuse to give the people any food, soap, enough water, etc. if they don't give them their banking details/cards! Luckily one of the political groups who look after minority rights and such, found out and acted. They couldn't be stopped. Our area specifically is a lot calmer, but I'm very careful when going out. And the government now refuses to give out all of the Covid19 information they previously gave to the public. They say it is 'confidential'.

Stay strong, I'm praying for you, and yours too. Good on you for still continuing with your life as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry on your Behalf 2

4 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

he police/military looking after the people, also refuse to give the people any food, soap, enough water, etc. if they don't give them their banking details/cards! Luckily one of the political groups who look after minority rights and such, found out and acted. They couldn't be stopped. Our area specifically is a lot calmer, but I'm very careful when going out. And the government now refuses to give out all of the Covid19 information they previously gave to the public. They say it is 'confidential'.

People ask me why it's a big deal to have a state law that requires our information, this is why. Yes, it  our state's law is not this extreme, but it gives way too much power to the government, and sets really bad precedents, and goes down a really scary road

• Like 2

I like Mike Rowe, thanks for the link! and thank you for posting your L-sit video, very inspiring :)

Sorry you're also having these government related frustrations.. I think ideally government should be as forthcoming with information as they can possibly be, share everything they know, make it easy to understand, have ideas and guidelines etc, then help people figure out how to make things work.. and then trust. No rules, just guidelines and a lot of trust and a lot of help. 

I also think opening up eating outside first would make a lot of sense, a bit like outdoor sports first. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I like Mike Rowe, thanks for the link! and thank you for posting your L-sit video, very inspiring :)

Sorry you're also having these government related frustrations.. I think ideally government should be as forthcoming with information as they can possibly be, share everything they know, make it easy to understand, have ideas and guidelines etc, then help people figure out how to make things work.. and then trust. No rules, just guidelines and a lot of trust and a lot of help. 

I also think opening up eating outside first would make a lot of sense, a bit like outdoor sports first. 

So much this. When we were being hit by the peak, the first thing our governor did was give information and guidelines, not state ordered lockdown. And most the people followed them. We had plans to eat out, and cancelled even though restaurants were still open. And now the data shows that was when our numbers went down.   I wish our government would at least allow gyms to be outside as yours has done, and churches. We now know that the rate of transmission outdoors is very low

• Like 2

So much this. When we were being hit by the peak, the first thing our governor did was give information and guidelines, not state ordered lockdown. And most the people followed them. We had plans to eat out, and cancelled even though restaurants were still open. And now the data shows that was when our numbers went down.   I wish our government would at least allow gyms to be outside as yours has done, and churches. We now know that the rate of transmission outdoors is very low

That same talk radio person I mentioned before has commented that taking the kind of power you describe is very intoxicating, and it will be very difficult for some elected officials to stop using it voluntarily. 

• Like 1

The government overreach I’m worried about is at the federal level. One way or another Covid will eventually go away, but federal policy is forever.

The government does have a role in keeping us safe, otherwise we’d still be driving around in cars without seatbelts that explode when they’re rear ended because it’s cheaper (market forces) to settle lawsuits than fix cars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That same talk radio person I mentioned before has commented that taking the kind of power you describe is very intoxicating, and it will be very difficult for some elected officials to stop using it voluntarily. 

Yep, I think that's where we are at now

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The government overreach I’m worried about is at the federal level. One way or another Covid will eventually go away, but federal policy is forever.

The government does have a role in keeping us safe, otherwise we’d still be driving around in cars without seatbelts that explode when they’re rear ended because it’s cheaper (market forces) to settle lawsuits than fix cars.

I agree about the Federal level. It is a frustrating me that our state is slow to open, but  I  actually prefer that it is up to states to decide rather than federal power. I've been mulling on the whole thought about how big a role government should place in safety and if and how much government intervention really helps. It seems like we've been given more and more power to the government to keep us safe though, and the result is that people are taking less personal responsibility.  Seatbelts and speed limits are a perfect example. Remember when we used to have higher speed limits? And it probably does save lives, but if we went down to 30 mph , we would save even more lives, or if we said cars were too dangerous, we could save even more lives, but at some point we have to accept risk. And seat belts save lives. When the law as first set up in our state, you could only get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt if you were pulled over for something else and didn't have a seat belt, but now if the police officer thinks you don't have a seat belt he can pull you over. Which means a police officer can pull you over for any reason, and just say he thought you weren't wearing a seat belt, which has led to minorities  feeling as if they are being targeted. 

• Like 2