Elastigirl/Joy was always there

Speed limits are the highest I ever remember them being. There are roads I’ve been on where it’s 85 mph now. MN speed limits went up again last January. When I got my license it was 55 everywhere.

I don’t think personal responsibility is quite the bugaboo talk radio makes it out to be. That’s a talking point because our corporate overlords don’t want any regulations whatsoever so they’ve made it an issue. America is still a hotbed of rugged individualism.

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

here are roads I’ve been on where it’s 85 mph now. MN speed limits went up again last January. When I got my license it was 55 everywhere.

We have some roads that are 65, maybe 70 I think.

It does seem that there needs to be a balance, of no regulations vs, so many regulations that things can't operate. I've thought  about where that balance is and read some on it, and then I get bored of the subject and move on, so I don't really have  a hard answer, though I lean more to less regulation. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

When I got my license it was 55 everywhere.

PEjRw8NaFMD-cU5hEWMPy1NIBqlSFOCeLxewe7G7

Dunno the truth of it or not, but I heard from my older generation family members that the 55 speed limit was actually put in place to cut back on the consumption of gasoline during <whatever it was that was the concern at the time>.    I will say, I do a lot of driving and road trips, and when I run at 80-85mph I get there faster, but the times I hang out on the awesome back roads at 55-60mph, my V6 Kia Sorento gets 31mpg.   Sooo yeah, there's definitely something to that sweet spot on the speedometer for fuel efficiency.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

No regulation is Somalia, no corporate regulation is Honduras. I think we can agree to meet somewhere in the middle. Although I’d probably err on the side of more corporate regulation than you would.

So many people venerate Reagan, when who we really need right now is Teddy Roosevelt (Minus the racism). He balanced personal responsibility and government regulation pretty well in my opinion (but let's leave the racism behind).

• Like 5
On 5/16/2020 at 3:21 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So many people venerate Reagan, when who we really need right now is Teddy Roosevelt (Minus the racism). He balanced personal responsibility and government regulation pretty well in my opinion (but let's leave the racism behind).

I don't really know much about him. You've made me interested to know more

15 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I don't really know much about him. You've made me interested to know more

Short version: Overcame childhood asthma by force of will and workouts. 

Best fighter of corruption the U.S. has ever seen, from his days as NYC Police Commissioner, Governor of New York, A Civil Servant in the Federal Government, VP, and Then President.

An awesome Trust-buster (broke up monopolies) 

Started the Federal Park System

Wrote highly regarded academic works after his presidency.

Once got shot, and delivered a speech before seeking medical attention.

• Like 4

Let's sum up the week, shall we; My goals were pretty low, I felt like I hadn't done much, but on looking at my goals I'm pretty happy.Not listed on goals because it is a habit is daily Bible readings, and I have kept up with that.

These are my wishy washy goals for the month

Fitness;

Improve L-sit- Yes, I am finding this to also be motivational in stretching, as my stretching is movements that will help my L-sit

staff- fish tail- played with it some, struggling with the third progression

Food:

not be an idiot- mostly a win,  Saturday not as much

other

do some garden weeding- happened

take care of veggies 

pick a color and paint guest room- did 1st step, may postpone this goal

finish scrapbook- did some

do some on Narnia Land , I have dropped that and would like to take it back up-nope

This week:

buy shower gift- yep

4 pages of scrapbook- right now 2 pages. let's say what I can do this evening

Fairy garden - place miniatures I bought in it -done

sample paint on boards to pick color-done

weed a bit-done

Instragram pictures of Saturday-done

Looking forward to next week:

a6db7422e26275482753ad3c273a19c4--classr

• Tha

Thank you all for listening to me as I struggled these last weeks. It was very encouraging to me.And Mr. Incredible has been super good at listening to me. It  was good for me to let myself grieve, and be sad for a bit. I know that Joy was always there, I know that God is right there with me, and He cares and is in control, and I have so much to be thankful for, but at the same time I needed to give myself a bit of time to process my sorrow. I'm sure I will have more struggle(as we all will in dealing with our lives) but right now I am  pondering the words in my signature. J.R.R Tolkien's call to Frodo to journey into adventure and Mike Rowe's quote from a podcast I heard , "The chief end of living is not to merely stay alive' I am asking God what he wants me to do  right now in this time I am , and to use my time well. I'm going to enjoy my life and hopefully bring joy to others. I'm still not going to make giant goals, but I do hope to bit a bit more focused this week, and accomplish a bit more; I love what @SkyGirl said about living in hope. Purposely doing things like gardening, painting my guest room, making a scrapbook, help me remember that we will get through, and more than that, God will  helps me to thrive and enjoy life

Goals for the week

Food: Read two chapter of Lean and Strong

Food habit: while eating lunch, put my fork down between bites

Fitness;

keep working on L-sit

play with staff 

Life

choose decorative gravel for garden shed area

6 pages scrapbook

possibly -  choose paint color

weed 2 garden areas

vacuum downstairs ( no one goes down there and I put off vacuuming forever)

• Like 10

weekend summary:

Had a nice weekend. Hubby and I went on our date night, Panerra Bread take out to a park for a picnic and walk. It is very nice to be outside enjoying the  fresh air, and  people watching. And good news, even though the bathrooms are closed due to Covid, in the parking lot there were porta potties, My micro bladder was very happy. I'm not sure why porta potties are safer than public restrooms- another example of what I call Covid logic , but happy I could drink my whole ice tea without worries😉

Saturday- relaxed some, did some house cleaning, then did a zoom meet up and played Carcasonne with friends

Sunday- drive through church- which was a big blessing , then our son came over for lunch and games, and then gave me a hug as he left

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Ok. I’m gonna agree with you on the porta-potties. I’ve seen it and it’s just stupid.

Another example of Covid logic that you will probably agree with comes from @ElizeElvinFoxRyder apparently in South Africa it is against Covid law to wear open toed shoes because????

• Like 2

I noticed the title change. Also living in hope is the best advice for this Covid World, it reminds us that even though we're going through Hell, we must still keep going because that light at the end of the tunnel is still shining brightly for you!

• Like 3

I don't want to get into the political discussions, but I'm also concerned about the worldwide erosion of democracy. I think we're going to see repercussions far beyond the virus. 

I appreciate the title change. Glad things are looking up. :) 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Had a nice weekend. Hubby and I went on our date night, Panerra Bread take out to a park for a picnic and walk. It is very nice to be outside enjoying the  fresh air, and  people watching. And good news, even though the bathrooms are closed due to Covid, in the parking lot there were porta potties, My micro bladder was very happy. I'm not sure why porta potties are safer than public restrooms- another example of what I call Covid logic , but happy I could drink my whole ice tea without worries😉

I recognise this logic! It's like me not buying chocolate and then just eating plain sugar because there's no chocolate. The rule-maker is not the same part of me as the loophole finder. Then again I suppose the porta loos are all separate? So you're not... breathing in other people's air at the same time as they're obeying nature? IDK... I think the main dangers are probably people working in offices together, but we can't ban that because it's too useful, so we'll ban less dangerous things instead. 

The other covid logic I don't like is that we're not allowed to use reusable bags at the supermarket. I mean, I can WASH them. And I NEED them because I have to walk home with my groceries, and paper bags don't cut it for that. I need to be able to put them over my shoulder. So I end up standing in the parking lot transferring my groceries from paper bags into my backpack (and I then have to scrunch up the paper bags and fit them into my backpack as well) while trying to watch out for cars and not get my food on the gross oily pavement.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Terra said:

Catching up on you non-challenge tonight.  I see many of the same ups and downs that I am experiencing too.  Sending positive vibes and hugs!

Hi there, and thank you!

15 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I noticed the title change. Also living in hope is the best advice for this Covid World, it reminds us that even though we're going through Hell, we must still keep going because that light at the end of the tunnel is still shining brightly for you!

Yes, and a reminder that God is still here, He is not in heaven wringing His hands, and wondering what to do.😀

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I don't want to get into the political discussions, but I'm also concerned about the worldwide erosion of democracy. I think we're going to see repercussions far beyond the virus. 

I appreciate the title change. Glad things are looking up. :) 

Yep, and thanks!

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I recognise this logic! It's like me not buying chocolate and then just eating plain sugar because there's no chocolate. The rule-maker is not the same part of me as the loophole finder. Then again I suppose the porta loos are all separate? So you're not... breathing in other people's air at the same time as they're obeying nature? IDK... I think the main dangers are probably people working in offices together, but we can't ban that because it's too useful, so we'll ban less dangerous things instead. 

The other covid logic I don't like is that we're not allowed to use reusable bags at the supermarket. I mean, I can WASH them. And I NEED them because I have to walk home with my groceries, and paper bags don't cut it for that. I need to be able to put them over my shoulder. So I end up standing in the parking lot transferring my groceries from paper bags into my backpack (and I then have to scrunch up the paper bags and fit them into my backpack as well) while trying to watch out for cars and not get my food on the gross oily pavement.

I am very good at finding loopholes in my own rules. I suppose so with the porta potties, though you have separate stalls, and it's not like I'm standing around in the bathroom chatting with everyone. That sounds like quite the interesting adventure with  your groceries! The grocery story did say we could just carry the groceries out in the cart and then put them in our bags in the car, but that sounded way too complicated

• Like 2

Got going fairly quickly today.Read my Bible, had breakfast, tidied kitchen, did my workout. Still working on L-sit. Went on a walk in with Mr. Incredible. In the late afternoon, I did a bit of staff training. I'm still struggling with the third progression. I'm going to watch the tutorial for the final progression, sometimes doing that helps.

For lunch ;practiced putting my fork down between bites, also did a bit at dinner, though when I'm talking I forget(but then I also listen to I sort of eat slower) 

Thoughts from reading Lean and Strong: 

I like the book. One thing he talks about is learning skills rather than habits. The reason is habits are more seen as something you have or don't have where as skills are something you work on. His analogy was learning to play the clarinet. When you are a young kid, you might start on the recorder. You play simple tunes, and make a lot of mistakes. Then you get better and better. As you get older, you switch to the clarinet. You're playing a bit better, but more complicated tunes, so you still may have mistakes. Then you keep practicing and learn to play better. A lot of it is just a natural part of what you are doing, but if something throws you off you may make a mistake. The point of the analogy is that our eating skills are skills. We should expect them to feel awkward, and we should expect mistakes. Also, it isn't something we always have to do. The more we practice the skill, the better we get. But just like when you miss playing the clarinet for a few days you don't forget everything, so to with our eating skills.When we think of habit, it's more of a yes we are doing it, whereas skills are something we can be doing just a little, or a lot, and maybe forget for a few days and then come back. I like this way of thinking. Right now the skill I am focusing on is putting my fork down between bites. I was doing this before, and it really helped me. I still have the skill somewhat, but slowing down and focusing on it will help me to develop the skill.

I have been slowly gaining weight the last few months. Not horrible, just getting fluffier than I want. I don't want to try and focus on losing weight this summer, I think I would just like to focus on fine tuning my eating skills. I'm also experiment with meal times. I started this a few challenges ago (or maybe it was 100 years ago) and then we entered lockdown and I decided to try again later. My plan is to eat lunch after I workout instead of my protein smoothie. I didn't do this before because then there was 7 hours between lunch and dinner, and I would want a snack.But, right now I'm snacking anyway. So meal plan is breakfast around 8:30 , lunch around 11:30, snack around 3 ish if I'm hungry , dinner around 6:30. This isn't a goal, just an experiment. If  I don't have something ready for lunch and I want the protein smoothie instead, that is fine

• Like 6

Experiments are good.   Through them, we find out what works best for us individually.  I think it's a really solid plan.  I am thinking of doing some fine tuning too.   (But first I need to get these soft baked cookies finished off.  Though at a safe 2-3 per day only, lol.)

• Like 2
On 5/18/2020 at 4:22 AM, Elastigirl said:

Another example of Covid logic that you will probably agree with comes from @ElizeElvinFoxRyder apparently in South Africa it is against Covid law to wear open toed shoes because????

Also no short sleeve t-shirts, except if you wear it underneath a jacket. I see a lot of people are ignoring this one. Also no alcohol or cigarettes, and also no take-aways, definitely no restaurants, except if they deliver. I see a couple shops have now opened their diy sections for ordinary people, otherwise only builders, plumbers, electricians were allowed to buy. Also when you try to buy a car (new or second hand) there are very strict rules that the car has to comply to w.r.t. Covid. And no driving in your car without a mask. You know, you can give the ghost in your car Covid (should preferably drive alone). I think most countries have the rules about passengers, and space between them in a vehicle? And no walking on the beach. If you happen to have a toddler who runs from the sidewalk onto the beach, you as family will be arrested (and there has been incidences). Our hilarious country...

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

the skill I am focusing on is putting my fork down between bites.

I remember you doing this!

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

So meal plan is breakfast around 8:30 , lunch around 11:30, snack around 3 ish if I'm hungry , dinner around 6:30. This isn't a goal, just an experiment.

I've done something similar for the boys now too. I do something like this for myself anyway, as I'm a schedule kind of person.

• Like 1

how about drive-thru lines? in other parts of the world are they have you wear mask in your own vehicle, too?

this seems VERY illogical to me.  another crazy example of covid logic.

it gets any worse and DUI will be replaced with DWAM (driving without a mask!)!?

at any rate; I smile about some of these over-zealous ideas and I'd like to see anyone try to enforce some of those rules. 

for sure, I don't wear a mask in my own car as I waiting in drive through to see the cashier. 

anyways, officially Elize, SA rules suck!

I guess I can't feel too surprised, when they are very dysfunctional Running the country in normal times; surely it can't be anybetter during a crisis. 

22 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Experiments are good.   Through them, we find out what works best for us individually.  I think it's a really solid plan.  I am thinking of doing some fine tuning too.   (But first I need to get these soft baked cookies finished off.  Though at a safe 2-3 per day only, lol.)

Yeah, and some things work better as experiments than goals

7 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Also no short sleeve t-shirts, except if you wear it underneath a jacket. I see a lot of people are ignoring this one. Also no alcohol or cigarettes, and also no take-aways, definitely no restaurants, except if they deliver. I see a couple shops have now opened their diy sections for ordinary people, otherwise only builders, plumbers, electricians were allowed to buy. Also when you try to buy a car (new or second hand) there are very strict rules that the car has to comply to w.r.t. Covid. And no driving in your car without a mask. You know, you can give the ghost in your car Covid (should preferably drive alone). I think most countries have the rules about passengers, and space between them in a vehicle? And no walking on the beach. If you happen to have a toddler who runs from the sidewalk onto the beach, you as family will be arrested (and there has been incidences). Our hilarious country...

I remember you doing this!

I've done something similar for the boys now too. I do something like this for myself anyway, as I'm a schedule kind of person.

Glad you are watching out for the ghost in your car,, you wouldn't want her to catch Covid😀 In a country like yours that has no checks and balances on government, this crisis really lends itself to tyranny. I think I am a schedule person

6 hours ago, TGP said:

how about drive-thru lines? in other parts of the world are they have you wear mask in your own vehicle, too?

this seems VERY illogical to me.  another crazy example of covid logic.

it gets any worse and DUI will be replaced with DWAM (driving without a mask!)!?

at any rate; I smile about some of these over-zealous ideas and I'd like to see anyone try to enforce some of those rules. 

for sure, I don't wear a mask in my own car as I waiting in drive through to see the cashier. 

anyways, officially Elize, SA rules suck!

I guess I can't feel too surprised, when they are very dysfunctional Running the country in normal times; surely it can't be anybetter during a crisis. 

The scary thing in South Africa is they really do enforce the rules. Elize said they pull over drivers for not wearing a mask

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did good on my morning routine. Today I also cleaned some lettuce and cucumber so it would be ready for a salad for lunch after I workout. That's one of the things with eating lunch right after I workout, I need to have it prepped, otherwise I'm too hungry and I go for a smoothie. Which is fine, but I'm trying to not always do that.Today's workout was my mobility work, which actually makes me very hungry. I had a salad with chicken , a banana, and a cookie, and it filled me up Went on a walk later.

Did some house cleaning today. I've done a bit of cleaning, but it's hard to get motivated to do much. I've kept it tidy,since I like it tidy, and since my son comes for Sunday lunch.But today I mopped the upstairs floor and vacuumed downstairs. Tomorrow I'm going to clean our side counter buffet, which is looking kind of nasty.

This evening after I post this, I'm going to go wash rocks. Right now they are in the rock polisher. They rotate in the tumbler for a week, then you clean them off, put some new finer grinding material in, and let them go for another week. The whole process takes about a week.

At the end of last month , we bought a garden shed, and they said it would be delivered in May.We both forgot the exact day, and we just thought it was near the end of the month.Well, it's coming Thursday! I'm excited. Only we are so not ready. Mr. Incredible is still doing the foundation. And I haven't ordered the decorative rock we want around it. I called around today and got prices. Tomorrow we will look at a couple of places

• Like 8

I so badly want to take on a bigger cooler project like a garden shed, or raised garden beds, or redoing our landscaping.   This sounds so awesome!   But I also don't know where to start soooo, I stick to small things hah.

I hope you share pics of the rocks!  I used to have a rock collection as a kid, and we once had a tumbler polisher, but I never got into it much.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

I so badly want to take on a bigger cooler project like a garden shed, or raised garden beds, or redoing our landscaping.   This sounds so awesome!   But I also don't know where to start soooo, I stick to small things hah.

I hope you share pics of the rocks!  I used to have a rock collection as a kid, and we once had a tumbler polisher, but I never got into it much.

I've been wanting a garden shed for forever, so I'm super excited! We actually bought the rock tumbler as a family project when my son was a kid, but never did it much. It's definitely  a project that requires patience

• Like 1