• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Elastigirl/Joy was always there

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

But, still it feels good to be strong enough to carry boxes down stairs.

:)

If you pray, please pray that this will be contained.

I'll add my form of prayers. 

Like I said, I always support peaceable protest , and am thankful our countries supports that right

It doesn't look like that right now at all 😕  at least from the news in my bubble- i always do wonder what others are seeing.  

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m sorry Elastigirl. I hope you and your town stay safe.

Social distancing is effectively over. You might as well go back to church. Hopefully the curve was flattened enough that the hospitals don’t get crushed.

Thanks. Hard days, praying for our country

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

:)

I'll add my form of prayers. 

It doesn't look like that right now at all 😕  at least from the news in my bubble- i always do wonder what others are seeing.  

I watch a bit of news from other states so I can't really speak to that. I think for the most part, our police are letting the peaceful protestors march. But they are stopping the ones that are throwing bricks and explosives and looting. This clip is sort of long, but watch the first few minutes. It's one of our local police chiefs with the protestors

https://komonews.com/news/local/watch-bellevue-police-chief-takes-knee-amid-open-dialogue-with-protesters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you had a nice Pentecost Sunday.  That's a really cool tradition your church has going and I am glad you continued it on your own and got the benefit of seeing others from church at the park!       Prayers for you all too with the new round of chaos happening.     It's so damn scary everywhere right now.

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

Glad you had a nice Pentecost Sunday.  That's a really cool tradition your church has going and I am glad you continued it on your own and got the benefit of seeing others from church at the park!       Prayers for you all too with the new round of chaos happening.     It's so damn scary everywhere right now.

Thanks! It really is scary. I think the lesson for me and 2020 is to put my hope and faith in God alone . If I trust in health, or finances, or safety, all those things can be gone in an instant, but God's love and mercy is a firm foundation

• Like 1

Thanks for your prayers and concern . Update on how it went as far as protests, and riots around here.

In our town they had a protest, that from the pictures was more of a rally of support , saying that we need to work for better justice in our police department. People coming out and waving signs and waving to cars.I was proud of our town. In one of the towns that was rumored to have violence, they closed the stores at 1. People peacefully marched. The police officers took a knee with the people. The news said there was some vandalism, but not much. I hope that is accurate. Most of the people in the town are small business owners  In the other town with a mall, looters came, but they were met by the SWAT( police with power for this kind of stuff) team. It seems like, for the most part, our area is handling this well so far. Giving room for the peaceful marchers, and stopping those who come to steal .

• Like 6

Talking to one of my friends from the town, what the news didn't say was that many of the shops were guarded by armed citizens, which was most likely a big reason why they were not looted. Talked to Mr. Incredible last night. We've  talked for a long time about buying guns and taking classes, but have never done so. This is going to happen.Right now the place where we would take lessons is closed, but as soon as it opens we are signing up for classes. I'm saying this as my accountability goal. The last few days have shown me I can not depend on police to be there if violent people start attacking our  town.

And in more cheerful news: we finished moving the pile of rocks from the driveway to the garden shed area.

• Like 3

Talking to one of my friends from the town, what the news didn't say was that many of the shops were guarded by armed citizens, which was most likely a big reason why they were not looted. Talked to Mr. Incredible last night. We've  talked for a long time about buying guns and taking classes, but have never done so. This is going to happen.Right now the place where we would take lessons is closed, but as soon as it opens we are signing up for classes. I'm saying this as my accountability goal. The last few days have shown me I can not depend on police to be there if violent people start attacking our  town.

When the time comes, try shooting various guns at a gun range that has rentals before you buy, especially if you are looking at pistols. Hand size has a lot to do with which firearm feels comfortable to hold, and to shoot. Lighter guns are easier to hold, but kick more. Given the size disparity between you and Mr. Incredible it's unlikely you'd find a pistol that works for both of you. 

I'll only offer one other piece of unsolicited advice. Look at ammo prices and availability before you purchase any firearms. Some calibers are more expensive than others.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When the time comes, try shooting various guns at a gun range that has rentals before you buy, especially if you are looking at pistols. Hand size has a lot to do with which firearm feels comfortable to hold, and to shoot. Lighter guns are easier to hold, but kick more. Given the size disparity between you and Mr. Incredible it's unlikely you'd find a pistol that works for both of you. 

I'll only offer one other piece of unsolicited advice. Look at ammo prices and availability before you purchase any firearms. Some calibers are more expensive than others.

Great advice. Also my husband's brother has several guns, so we may try those

• Like 1

What Tank Said ™

Each pistol grip, size, weight and feel is so different.   My same sized but leaner friend fell in love with one that I couldn't stand because of how it fit in my hand.   My other friend, who has a more slender hand than either of us but is taller than both, ended up getting a hefty sized firearm for herself.  It's so weird.

As for ammo, lol.  I'm such a dork - right next to my highschool award for a music composition contest ... every type of firearm shell I have personally fired. 

Spoilered for sensitivity.

Spoiler

From left to right:  

Barret Light 50 caliber (that bullet cost me $10 to shoot one round at an event, lol!

12 gauge shot gun slug shell red (way more kick)

12 gauge shot gun shot shell blue (not as much kick as people say it is)

.410 shell

.410 shell

30-30 (lever action rifle)

AR 15 shell

45 shell

38 special shell

9mm shell

22 cal shell

Sn9FAoX.jpg

For reference - a 22 caliber shell next to a pumpkin seed.  22s are TINY!

KdXkCQa.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

What Tank Said ™

Each pistol grip, size, weight and feel is so different.   My same sized but leaner friend fell in love with one that I couldn't stand because of how it fit in my hand.   My other friend, who has a more slender hand than either of us but is taller than both, ended up getting a hefty sized firearm for herself.  It's so weird.

As for ammo, lol.  I'm such a dork - right next to my highschool award for a music composition contest ... every type of firearm shell I have personally fired. 

Spoilered for sensitivity.

Hide contents

From left to right:  

Barret Light 50 caliber (that bullet cost me $10 to shoot one round at an event, lol!

12 gauge shot gun slug shell red (way more kick)

12 gauge shot gun shot shell blue (not as much kick as people say it is)

.410 shell

.410 shell

30-30 (lever action rifle)

AR 15 shell

45 shell

38 special shell

9mm shell

22 cal shell

Sn9FAoX.jpg

For reference - a 22 caliber shell next to a pumpkin seed.  22s are TINY!

KdXkCQa.jpg

I had no idea there were so many different sizes. I'm a gun newb. Growing up, it wasn't that my family was anti gun, we just didn't have any. My husband's brothers were in the military. They all have guns and experience. A few times our family went out with them to shoot guns, but I stayed back because they were in high allergen area, and I just wasn't interested. Honestly, I am pro gun rights, but guns  are a bit scary. A mix that come from believing in the constitution, yet at the same time growing up in an area that is very anti gun. Which is another reason I need to learn to use one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I am pro gun rights, but guns  are a bit scary.

This is a healthy attitude to have.   When you start losing the healthy fear of firearms, that's when things can get tricky.    It's like ... a huge horse.  You can have your confidence with them, and know how to ride and work with them, but the second you lose that respect of 'one wrong move and this beast could seriously hurt me' - you get sloppy and it gets risky. :)

Find a good place to learn.  Make sure they know you're comfort level going into it and work with you.   And if you try it and it feels wrong, don't feel bad about stepping back and saying its not for me.

• Like 4

Ohhh interesting conversation. I (European) was promised to go shooting when I turned 18 but by that time I became afraid we'd get put on some list for suspicious people :D

I do wish I could l learn that skill along with other combat skills for defense and "who knows in what situation you'll find yourself in" but oh well. :) And also because I would feel quite cool and capable, OK, I admit. Maybe if I ever find myself in the U.S. and someone who knows what he/she is doing 😇

EDIT: Good luck with learning how to defend yourselves!

I read somewhere: "in a country with 1000< military bases, it's natural for the citizens to want to be armed". Makes sense.

3 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

Ohhh interesting conversation. I (European) was promised to go shooting when I turned 18 but by that time I became afraid we'd get put on some list for suspicious people :D

I do wish I could l learn that skill along with other combat skills for defense and "who knows in what situation you'll find yourself in" but oh well. :) And also because I would feel quite cool and capable, OK, I admit. Maybe if I ever find myself in the U.S. and someone who knows what he/she is doing 😇

I've had a very small amount of self defense training. It's always been in that one day category. But when they closed our town up and boarded the windows due to potential looter and rioters, I  had a harsh reality check of how quickly things can change.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, analoggirl said:

EDIT: Good luck with learning how to defend yourselves!

I read somewhere: "in a country with 1000< military bases, it's natural for the citizens to want to be armed". Makes sense.

If you ever come to Texas we'll hook you up.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

And also because I would feel quite cool and capable, OK, I admit. Maybe if I ever find myself in the U.S. and someone who knows what he/she is doing 😇

Quoting you again because I forgot to talk about this, and I had thoughts. Yep, part of the reason I want to learn how to shoot is to look cool and bring out my inner Sarah Connor

• Like 2

I keep forgetting to say that a few weeks ago, our pastor challenged us to learn the song/Psalm 100. So, every morning I have been singing it, and now have the first verse memorized, it is  very cool because then the song runs through my head during the day.

Yesterday went well. We moved 5 yards of rocks. I like being strong enough to do stuff like that. We did it in 1 hour increments,taking long breaks between. We also bought paint so we can paint the shed when it arrives. And went to the hardware store, and Mr Incredible bought some more things he needs for the shed. I bought some flower bowls for the backyard. My prayer group is meeting here , and we are doing it in the backyard. We really don't often have people in the  backyard, it's mostly moss and weeds, so I thought some flower bowls might help. Tomorrow I will weed the one sparse flower bed we have.

Doing good on putting forks down between bites, and slowing down eating. Also really stopping and thinking how the food tastes. It is working out well for me to have lunch as soon as I finish working out. I usually do have a snack in the afternoon, but it still cuts out the post workout snack. 

Today I did some staff training .Still working on the fish turn. Getting a bit better. It was supposed to be a workout day, but I called a rest day since yesterday was so intense. I did 30 minutes of my one hour mobility work. Then I was tired and called that good. Just felt sort of tired today, probably because I worked so hard on the rocks.

Went on two walks today. One in the afternoon, and another after dinner with my husband.

• Like 6

I would love to learn to shoot guns, but mostly because I crave power and wish to feel badass. Probably not the best reason, lol. Mr Harriet finds guns abhorrent and can't understand me. But he's never played Fallout, so. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

wish to feel badass.

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

learn how to shoot is to look cool and bring out my inner Sarah Connor

20 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I would feel quite cool and capable

All other beliefs/rules/feelings aside... yeah, gotta say, so many bad ass female action heroes sort of give this inherent coolness factor to being trained and capable.

When my bro in law got his shotgun, I couldn't help but need to do a pose for a photo. ;)  I really think the Teva flip flops make the picture eh?  LOL

Spoiler

243262_1989259421508_7024722_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=210fed&_nc_ohc=kXrmKzYnA_gAX-tVd_G&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=aadd15c9f886efb314daa7c0b4fdbcd9&oe=5EFFB274

• Like 6