Elastigirl/Joy was always there

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Haha I’m experiencing culture shock with this gun talk :) 

Hmm. Growing up I have had multiple US (online) friends that have family members that owned guns and talked to me about learning how to. One was in the military for a short while, I think. And all capable men and women who were adults in pre-democracy Eastern Europe have had some form of basic military training if I am not mistaken :) So I kind of grew up with hearing about it every now and then, though it wasn't super often or detailed.

EDIT: Ohh!! There was a boy in primary (basis)school who was obsessed with the military and mentioned guns now and then :D

Puck, the flip flops, military print cargo pants and the white walled US style porch all make it for me haha. Oh and the sweet smile to top it off 😛

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Haha I’m experiencing culture shock with this gun talk :) 

😀Add to the list of things you didn't expect in 2020; Elastigirl's thread to start talking about guns

13 hours ago, //Min said:

The gun talk is really interesting! I live in a place where weapons cannot be owned. 

Well ,  expect more talk as I turn gun ownership and training into a goal

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

I would love to learn to shoot guns, but mostly because I crave power and wish to feel badass. Probably not the best reason, lol. Mr Harriet finds guns abhorrent and can't understand me. But he's never played Fallout, so. 

Gotta admit, that all appeals to me too

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

All other beliefs/rules/feelings aside... yeah, gotta say, so many bad ass female action heroes sort of give this inherent coolness factor to being trained and capable.

When my bro in law got his shotgun, I couldn't help but need to do a pose for a photo. ;)  I really think the Teva flip flops make the picture eh?  LOL

Reveal hidden contents

243262_1989259421508_7024722_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=210fed&_nc_ohc=kXrmKzYnA_gAX-tVd_G&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=aadd15c9f886efb314daa7c0b4fdbcd9&oe=5EFFB274

I'm loving that picture so much!

• Like 3

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

I would love to learn to shoot guns, but mostly because I crave power and wish to feel badass. Probably not the best reason, lol. Mr Harriet finds guns abhorrent and can't understand me. But he's never played Fallout, so. 

The first time you are shooting at steel targets and you hear a "Plink" from hitting true it's almost a visceral reaction of pleasure. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

😀Add to the list of things you didn't expect in 2020; Elastigirl's thread to start talking about guns

I think you talking about guns is a drop in the bucket of "Things we didn't expect in 2020"

But I'm glad that you're taking a very mature approach to this and not buying the first gun you see.

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The first time you are shooting at steel targets and you hear a "Plink" from hitting true it's almost a visceral reaction of pleasure. 

I've done airsoft pistols before and really enjoyed them. I'm actually looking forward to target shooting

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m sorry your world has become so unsafe that you have to take this step.

Thanks. I wouldn't say it is because my world is unsafe. Honestly, there was no violent protestors in our town. And I know that my safety is in God's hands, nothing can happen to me that it out of His control. It's more just a decision with Mr Incredible and I that we want to be prepared in the unlikely case that something does happen. This week just made me realize that I needed to stop putting it off  and make it a priority

2 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I think you talking about guns is a drop in the bucket of "Things we didn't expect in 2020"

But I'm glad that you're taking a very mature approach to this and not buying the first gun you see.

😀It was actually Mr Incredible's idea to take a gun training class and try out some guns. I think it is good to take a bit and decide. The drawback can be that we both sometimes get into decision paralysis, where we are afraid to commit and make a decision. So, we need to find that balance. 

• Like 2

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

3 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

decision paralysis, where we are afraid to commit and make a decision

Love me some tips on how you guys get around this issue.  This is legit one of my biggest hangs up.   Fear of making wrong decision = paralysis on any decision.   Granted, more for bigger things than firearms.  (Though I don't own my own... why should I?  I live in a house with a serious collector, lol.)   But yeah.  I know those feels.

• Like 1

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 6/2/2020 at 12:02 AM, Elastigirl said:

I watch a bit of news from other states so I can't really speak to that. I think for the most part, our police are letting the peaceful protestors march. But they are stopping the ones that are throwing bricks and explosives and looting. This clip is sort of long, but watch the first few minutes. It's one of our local police chiefs with the protestors

https://komonews.com/news/local/watch-bellevue-police-chief-takes-knee-amid-open-dialogue-with-protesters

I'm sorry your world is colliding with ours. Glad that your marches go peacefully (at times) though. Glad that your shops weren't looted and vandalised.

On 6/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, Elastigirl said:

If I trust in health, or finances, or safety, all those things can be gone in an instant, but God's love and mercy is a firm foundation

Trust in God will give you health, finances and safety. Love in and trust in God, and all else will be added on to you. (not a direct quote).

On 6/3/2020 at 1:39 AM, Elastigirl said:

This is going to happen.Right now the place where we would take lessons is closed, but as soon as it opens we are signing up for classes. I'm saying this as my accountability goal. The last few days have shown me I can not depend on police to be there if violent people start attacking our  town.

Welcome to my world? The police needs a couple minutes to get to places. There's no instant transport. For those first minutes (or little bit 10-15min maybe longer depending on the situation) you need to be able to defend yourself.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:57 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When the time comes, try shooting various guns at a gun range that has rentals before you buy, especially if you are looking at pistols. Hand size has a lot to do with which firearm feels comfortable to hold, and to shoot. Lighter guns are easier to hold, but kick more. Given the size disparity between you and Mr. Incredible it's unlikely you'd find a pistol that works for both of you. 

I'll only offer one other piece of unsolicited advice. Look at ammo prices and availability before you purchase any firearms. Some calibers are more expensive than others.

Agree 100%

I have big hands, long fingers. I have a CZ75B, and it is big and heavy. Brandt can shoot with it, but he doesn't like it, says it's too big for his hands. I love his Grand Power, but it was too expensive for me to buy one, as you can't get them second hand, have to import them brand new. There are a lot about guns that you can learn about in the meantime. I prefer one with an external hammer too.

And I also agree with Tank on ammo, although Brandt loads ours because of the prize of ammo here.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:24 PM, Starpuck said:

This is a healthy attitude to have.   When you start losing the healthy fear of firearms, that's when things can get tricky.    It's like ... a huge horse.  You can have your confidence with them, and know how to ride and work with them, but the second you lose that respect of 'one wrong move and this beast could seriously hurt me' - you get sloppy and it gets risky.

Agree 100% ... on horses and guns :D
I like your collection. I've also fired some different kinds of firearms through the years, but never kept the casings.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:19 AM, Elastigirl said:

Yesterday went well. We moved 5 yards of rocks.

Woot! Woot!

Hugs to you and hubby, EG. I'm sad to say that I know what you are going through, but glad that you are taking a pro-active approach to your safety. Your staff training will already help in some situations. I can just see this tiny spitfire of an EG bonking someone over the head with her staff, then knocking his feet out from under him. Although I only wish/pray for you, for peace and safety, and hope you don't have to defend yourself. ❤️

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

2 minutes ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

I'm sorry your world is colliding with ours. Glad that your marches go peacefully (at times) though. Glad that your shops weren't looted and vandalised.

Trust in God will give you health, finances and safety. Love in and trust in God, and all else will be added on to you. (not a direct quote).

Welcome to my world? The police needs a couple minutes to get to places. There's no instant transport. For those first minutes (or little bit 10-15min maybe longer depending on the situation) you need to be able to defend yourself.

Agree 100%

I have big hands, long fingers. I have a CZ75B, and it is big and heavy. Brandt can shoot with it, but he doesn't like it, says it's too big for his hands. I love his Grand Power, but it was too expensive for me to buy one, as you can't get them second hand, have to import them brand new. There are a lot about guns that you can learn about in the meantime. I prefer one with an external hammer too.

And I also agree with Tank on ammo, although Brandt loads ours because of the prize of ammo here.

Agree 100% ... on horses and guns :D
I like your collection. I've also fired some different kinds of firearms through the years, but never kept the casings.

Woot! Woot!

Hugs to you and hubby, EG. I'm sad to say that I know what you are going through, but glad that you are taking a pro-active approach to your safety. Your staff training will already help in some situations. I can just see this tiny spitfire of an EG bonking someone over the head with her staff, then knocking his feet out from under him. Although I only wish/pray for you, for peace and safety, and hope you don't have to defend yourself. ❤️

Thanks. Ha, my staff is so light I don't think it would do anyone damage. You have inspired me with your gun training. I do hope that our nation calms down, but I also  feel as if there are groups that want to continue the chaos, and I see the potential for it to become worse. Trying not to worry, rather to place it in God's hands.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks. Ha, my staff is so light I don't think it would do anyone damage. You have inspired me with your gun training. I do hope that our nation calms down, but I also  feel as if there are groups that want to continue the chaos, and I see the potential for it to become worse. Trying not to worry, rather to place it in God's hands.

All you can do is place it in God's hands, and make sure that you can do your share. I really try not to worry and not get so worked up, but that is something I'll probably have to work on for the rest of my life. But I know, and am so, SO thankful, that we are kept safe daily by God's grace. Not our own.

I like shooting in general. Not hunting. You have to concentrate, and the elation of getting a good hit, and seeing improvement over time. Be warned, if you have a rather hefty firearm (for your size), you'll have to think about strengthening your wrists and forearms.

Sorry sorry, last pic I share I promise - but this photo LEGIT came up on my Facebook memories feed this morning.    The Barret Light 50?   Remember the pumpkin seed and the .22 casing?   Teehee...

[This is not for civilian use, lol.  This was at a special event that let folks try firing off some pretty cool big things at this outdoor field range, led by a former marine turned instructor.]

Spoiler

WXhgFvJ.jpg

Tried different pic for Elize

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

38 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Sorry sorry, last pic I share I promise - but this photo LEGIT came up on my Facebook memories feed this morning.    The Barret Light 50?   Remember the pumpkin seed and the .22 casing?   Teehee...

[This is not for civilian use, lol.  This was at a special event that let folks try firing off some pretty cool big things at this outdoor field range, led by a former marine turned instructor.]

Hide contents

977903_10201167470619229_401966844_o.jpg

I can't see the picture, only the numbers/name? :(

On 6/5/2020 at 7:28 AM, Starpuck said:

Hide contents

WXhgFvJ.jpg

That's huge. I know so little about guns. Of course you know my nerd brain is going to love learning all the things about them

On 6/5/2020 at 3:06 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

All you can do is place it in God's hands, and make sure that you can do your share. I really try not to worry and not get so worked up, but that is something I'll probably have to work on for the rest of my life. But I know, and am so, SO thankful, that we are kept safe daily by God's grace. Not our own.

I like shooting in general. Not hunting. You have to concentrate, and the elation of getting a good hit, and seeing improvement over time. Be warned, if you have a rather hefty firearm (for your size), you'll have to think about strengthening your wrists and forearms.

Amen. Yes, something I keep having to work on. And I think I'm getting better, and then there are pandemics and riots, and I realize I have to continually learn to trust in God.

Hunting doesn't interest me. Too much sitting still and quiet😉Brag moment, I think I probably won't have to strengthen my wrists and forearms.They are pretty strong already. For some reason, it's pretty easy for me to gain muscle strength there.Of course, I may change that story when I try out different guns

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 4:28 PM, Starpuck said:

Thank you! Oh wow.

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

They are pretty strong already. For some reason, it's pretty easy for me to gain muscle strength there.Of course, I may change that story when I try out different guns

You are right, you are already strong, so maybe you won't have to strengthen them. I first felt the sore muscles after a day's practice shooting with Brandt, where we were target practicing for nearly two hours. Lift, down, lift, up, hold for 15 shots, down, change mags 3x, hold up each time to shoot... I think about 250 bullets each later. Then the lightest weight can feel very heavy :D But I won't be surprised if you don't need it.

The police let the gun range owners (where we do club shoots) know today that members are allowed to go practice, as long as they keep their distance, but we aren't allowed to attend a club shoot yet. So basically no more than 8 people at the range at a time. Would be great to shoot again. There's just something about shooting a couple holes in a target :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Brag moment, I think I probably won't have to strengthen my wrists and forearms.They are pretty strong already. For some reason, it's pretty easy for me to gain muscle strength there.Of course, I may change that story when I try out different guns

That's a really awesome trait to have. I'm envious. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

29 minutes ago, Harriet said:

That's a really awesome trait to have. I'm envious. 

Thanks! The funny thing is, before  I always felt like my wrists looked so skinny and fragile and I really didn't like them. So, it's super cool to have strong forearms and wrists. I think it is from crow balances and farmer carries. But I also just feel like it's fairly easy for my body to build muscle in my forearms. Biceps, nope though.

• Like 1

This weekend was very nice

Friday night was our  carry out food , picnic and walk night. We went to the Cuban restaurant . I had Ropa Viega. So good. We ate at the park. I eat it slowly, paying attention to how it tasted. Also just took in the ambience of the other people at the park, and the nice conversation with hubby. It looked like it might rain, but it didn't, and the walk was in very pleasant weather.

Saturday; Hubby finished the foundation for our shed, so we our ready for it to arrive. They had said it might arrive Saturday, but the gal at the Loew's (bug hardware store) said it had not arrived . So we are still waiting. When you order things during a pandemic, you just have to roll it delays. I did a workout Saturday. Mr Incredible bought a whole salmon at Costco on Friday, so he barbecued that. And we have lots of leftovers. Nom. Then we did Zoom game night

Sunday- church was good. It was raining again, so most people sat in their cars. We sat outside, holding our umbrellas. It stopped raining about 15 minutes into the service though.  He preached on Psalm 119 , it was encouraging Then afterwards,  a lot of people hung around and we all chatted with one another. This made my whole being happy. On Friday, our restaurants were finally able to open. So we went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. I had pork tacos with pineapple salsa and avocados and coconut rice. Being a Mexican restaurant, they served tortilla chips and salsa. It's been my habit to wait and eat these after my meal. But since this was a celebration (first time in our county to sit in a restaurant and eat) I had the chips. I actually did pretty goodI enjoyed them and ate them, but not so many that I didn't feel stuffed before I had the meal. I practiced putting the taco down between bites, and trying to pick out all the different flavors. Then we came home and the three of us( son , hubby, me) all played Harabi. Later in the day, the weather was nice, so Mr Incredible and I went on a walk

• Like 3

My week

For food , During lunch I focused on putting my fork down between bites. I also tried at times to really think about how the food tasted. When I wanted a snack, I did something for about 15 minutes and then made a decision. There were a couple of times that I chose to  eat the snack, and a couple of times that I didn't. Still reading the book Lean and Strong, and slowly implementing some of the skill

Another great thing that happened on Friday was that I actually had friends at my house!! We had our prayer meeting outside in my backyard. I weeded it, and bought some pretty flower bowls, and moved one of my fairy gardens to the backyard. It was nice. I actually really enjoy having people over, and miss it when I don't.

weekly goals:

Big thing move the rocks- YES

Also, planning to have friends over for prayer in my backyard, so I need to weed that  a bit, and set it up, and clean the downstairs bathroom- YES

Maybe scrapbook will happen. Let's say 2 pages 6 PAGES

This week:

I know there were more things, right now I'm drawing a blank

weed 2 beds

veggie garden take care of

sew button on shirt

4 pages scrapbook

Make a birthday list- this needs to happen tomorrow

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

s your scrapbook like a photo album? 

Yes, it is a photo album with digital photos

• Like 1

Yesterday

Going backwards and starting with the evening because that was the best part of the day

Our church had a Psalm sing outside in the parking lot. It was so wonderful to be with my church family singing. We sang Psalms, and it was exactly what I needed to remind myself of God's care.Then we stayed after and visited with friends.Ah, how I how missed that. The weather was decent, a bit chilly, but no rain.

When we got home, I wanted a  treat( because usually when we have Psalm singing there are deserts) I decided to wait a bit and see. So, I did a couple quick things, and then made some tea. After the tea was ready, I decided that having a bit of honey in my tea was enough of a treat, as I wasn't really hungry.

So, I sipped tea and watch, The TItan- I love that show.

Earlier in the day ;Did my training, also worked on my staff.Can't figure out the last progression at all.Watched the tutorial 100 times, and I just don't get it. I think I will try and learn a new skill. Went on a walk too

• Like 2

What lovely updates Elastigirl!

So glad you are getting to do things that make you glow!

So your restaurants opened up with indoor seating even?  Wow!  That's huge.  (We don't have that here yet. Pick up, delivery, or outdoor spaced seating only.  But many of the suburban downtowns are closing off parts of the street, to let those businesses set up tents and tables, which I think is so awesome.)

• Like 1

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Any idea what this new skill might be? Sword fighting so that you can rock the sword-staff combo like a wizard?

The Kick Ass Draft - SF1 - Durlmints vs. Betty Blue

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

What lovely updates Elastigirl!

So glad you are getting to do things that make you glow!

So your restaurants opened up with indoor seating even?  Wow!  That's huge.  (We don't have that here yet. Pick up, delivery, or outdoor spaced seating only.  But many of the suburban downtowns are closing off parts of the street, to let those businesses set up tents and tables, which I think is so awesome.)

Yes, just this weekend. Our state is doing it by county. The weird thing is we live very close to the boundary line. So our county is open for seating, but  the restaurants on our town's main street are not as open yet. They are open for outdoors and a few indoor table

40 minutes ago, Red1263 said:

Any idea what this new skill might be? Sword fighting so that you can rock the sword-staff combo like a wizard?

The Kick Ass Draft - SF1 - Durlmints vs. Betty Blue

LOL. I  am going to chose a new staff skill to work on. I think one called The rocket, because that sounds cool, and it's supposedly fairly easy

• Like 2

Another thing to add to yesterday's report.

I decided yesterday to have an afternoon snack because I was hungry. I had a smoothie. And was hungry again within an hour. Sadly, as much as I love them, smoothies don't really fill me up very much

In the book I am reading, Lean and Strong, Josh Hillis recommends not having snacks if you want to lose weight. He presents studies that show that when you eat snacks, it doesn't really fill you up, and you end up eating just as much at meal time.The thing I really like about this book, is he presents these as guidelines and skills. So you can choose to work on it, and say only have one snack, or no snacks. Or you can decide that today you are hungry and  want a snack. He presents the why behind it, and then gives the control to you. Which is working great for me. I am testing his theory, that eating snack doesn't fill me up that much. That is very true with smoothies.  And I am finding it better to just have lunch after I workout. I do sometimes choose an afternoon snack as I get hungry before dinner. Today's snack was a gluten free minute Paleo muffin. It filled me up, and I was getting hungry at about 30 minutes before dinner, which was good

• Like 6