• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

theflyingaccountant

The Flying Accountant Returns...

Back in action after an extended hiatus. Also my first time posting in the Rebels guild (hi!).

Good news: The CISA has been passed, and by the end of this month, I will be 1/3rd of the way towards finishing my remaining requirements to officially being a CPA. Long story short is that, assuming all goes according to plan, I'll have both certifications officially finished by the end of this year.

Bad news: Coronavirus. I don't have it. It's just that, well, it's out there somewhere...lurking. Bonus-My state's leaders have decided to open everything back up as of...sometime last week I think? As for me though, I'm still hunkering down in my compound. Masks will be worn. Hand sanitizer will be squirted. Toilet paper will be rationed. Carefully.

This one is going to be my hardest challenge, yet. It will also be the least complex thus far. Just four quests. That's it.

Quest 1: No alcohol for the duration of the challenge.

No beer. No wine. No champagne (not that I drink that much champagne to begin with). No spirits. Nada.

This is gonna be a hard one. If I'm being honest, I don't think I'm going to succeed. At the same time, I know that I can't half-ass this one. It'll be a massive test to my willpower, and if I succeed, it'll be a huge benefit to my long term health as well as net me some sick bragging rights.

Quest 2: Maintain my progress in the Stronglifts program.

I need to stay consistent with this one. So, 3X per week, I'm picking up heavy things and putting them back down again.

Quest 3: No video games for the duration of the challenge.

Here's my case for making this one a fitness / diet goal:

1. When I play video games, I'm spending my time not physically active. So by eschewing the video games, I give myself opportunities to move around more.

2. They're bad for my eyes which is tangentially health-related.

3. They're a trigger for failing Quest #1. When am I drinking beers and eating junk food? When I'm playing video games.

Quest 4: Update my finances daily.

This is my level-up my life goal. And since I fall out of the habit from time to time, I just need to make sure I'm staying on it.

Quest 1 is going to be the big win for me, though. No alcohol for five weeks. It'll be cool to see how I'm feeling, how I'm looking, and what my bank account looks like after those five weeks.

Welp. Here goes nothin'.

Adding a template that I can copy and paste as I go. EFFICIENCY!

---------------------------------

Quest 1: No alcohol.

Did you drink alcohol today?

Quest 2: Stronglifts.

Did you lift today?

Quest 3: No video games.

Did you play video games today?

Quest 4: Update finances.

Did you update your finances today?

• Like 4

Nice job on the qualifications so far! 

Alcohol really is a tough one, but knowing your kryptonite is so helpful.  I will raise my glass of juice, which is absolutely no replacement for any of those things but at least isn't water for a change, to you.

I'll see your glass of juice and raise you a glass of hot tea.

Yeah, it'll be tough, but it'll be worth it. Don't really think I'll be missing much, especially when I see my health start to improve for the better. Not to mention my thinking and my schedule, too. Going to use each day as a place to record all the stuff I get up to now that I'm not staring at a video game during my free time.

Although, I'm wondering if I should tweak the video game rule. My wife and I managed to get my old Wii remotes working, and we have a second one arriving in the mail in a few days. Considering we've both been hurting for just being able to do fun stuff together, it's really changed the mood in the house tonight.

In the meantime, I've got a piano over here that needs a little attention.

Edit: I had one beer left in the fridge. The challenge hasn't started yet, so...

...I poured the sucker out. Let's roll.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

.I poured the sucker out. Let's roll.

Is willpower your superpower? 

Any particular Wii games?  I totally count shared game time as together time.  On good days I can get my husband to play games with me, but I haven't pushed it with his work stress and all.  (He's all awkward that I'm better than he is at gaming, when really all that happens is I listen to the chatter from the mission characters.)  I'm glad I stole my brother's Switch so I sit on the couch playing  while husband watches tv.  At least we can still chat a bit while he watches war movies or truly crappy tv.

1 hour ago, Chesire said:

Is willpower your superpower?

No, but being sick of feeling like crap might be. ;)

We played Mario Galaxy 2. Lots of fun, but I couldn't find my other wii remote, so we had to take turns. Tried to get my old Super Nintendo working, but I think it's pretty much fried.

1 hour ago, Chesire said:

(He's all awkward that I'm better than he is at gaming, when really all that happens is I listen to the chatter from the mission characters.)

It's amazing what you can accomplish if you listen to the narrative.

• Like 1

Day 1.

Stronglifts A:

Squat: 65 X 5 X 5

Bench: 60 X 5 X 5

Barbell Row: 60 X 5 X 5

Finances:

Updated. Not much to report. The nice thing about being stuck in the house most days is that it makes keeping the books fairly easy.

Video Games and Alcohol:

1 day since my last drink.

Rather than just saying "nope" every day for five weeks straight (which will get tedious), I'm going to use this space to talk about all the cool stuff I did that did not involve beer and video games.

Plan for the day is to go visit the wife's fam. Normally, I'd feel just a teensy bit put upon because, hey, this is cutting into my beer and video game time. Now, though, I'm like "Sure! Let's do it!" Got a couple of herbs I need to re-pot, but I can do that this evening.

And that's exactly what we did. Well, except for the whole re-potting the herbs part. Did make some killer tzaziki sauce out of some dill I had to trim, though.

And got about an hour's worth of piano practice in. Hammered out a few measures of "Don't stop me now" where it switches to the fast part, and also played through a method book I found online called How to Play from a Fake Book.

Best part is that I'm not crawling into bed feeling like crap.

So tonight, it's a little bit more hot tea and maybe a podcast or two before bed.

• Like 1

Day 2.

Stronglifts Rest:

Nuthin.

Finances:

Updated.

Video Games and Alcohol (update at 8 pm):

2 days since my last drink.

Instead of drinking beer and playing video games I...

Cooked supper (tried out a new chicken recipe) and submitted an assignment for my business communication class. Also re-potted my oregano, dill plants, and a couple of basil plants.

• Like 1

Day 3.

Stronglifts B:

Done.

Squat: 75 X 5 X 5

Overhead Press: 55 X 5 X 5

Deadlift: 85 X 5 X 1

Finances:

Updated.

3 days since my last drink.

Instead of drinking beer and playing video games I...

Had a piano lesson, transcribed and played a couple of measures of a song I'm trying to learn, and just relaxed a little bit in the yard with the puppies.

Instead of drinking beer and playing video games, tonight I made some bomb ass enchiladas.

I also re-discovered the delicacy that is canned whole pickled jalapenos.

Seriously. My wife ought to be thankful that any of them managed to survive long enough to be added to the enchiladas.

Also played the same three measures of "Don't Stop Me Now" over and over on the piano. But I got my speed up from 25 bpm to 70 bpm, so that's a huge win for a somewhat tough section.

• Like 2

Day 5.

Stronglifts A:

Didn't lift today. Gonna get at it tomorrow though.

Finances:

Updated.

5 days since my last drink.

Played some piano. Watched tv with the wife. Got caught up on a couple of homework assignments. Not much else to report.

• Like 2

Day 6.

Stronglifts A:

Squat: 85 X 5 X 5

Bench: 65 X 5 X 5

Barbell Row: 65 X 5 X 5

Finances:

Updated.

6 days since my last drink.

Eh. It's close enough to 8, and I gotta start cooking, anyway.

On 5/10/2020 at 3:53 AM, theflyingaccountant said:

...I poured the sucker out. Let's roll.

You are EPIC

On 5/10/2020 at 3:39 PM, theflyingaccountant said:

few measures of "Don't stop me now" where it switches to the fast part,

Sounds like fun!

18 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Played some piano.

I am going to go check your battle log? Did you figure out the "why" behind these or are you doing it for the bragging rights now ^_^ 'Cause if you are, feel free to post a recording of your 70 bpm! Fun stuff!

Did not know when you would be back so I did not go looking! Here to support now! 

Love that you are focusing on what you ARE doing instead of the habit you want to break :)

On 5/5/2020 at 1:13 AM, theflyingaccountant said:

, I'll have both certifications officially finished by the end of this year.

Congrats with passing the stepping stones!!

1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

I am going to go check your battle log? Did you figure out the "why" behind these or are you doing it for the bragging rights now

Eh. It's a work in progress. Rather than try to find the one big WHY that unites them all (the string-theory of all whys), I'm just putting together a why for right now. It really starts with proving to myself that I can give up alcohol for an extended period of time which, in turn, proves that I'm not helpless and I'm not a victim, which, in turn proves that I can exert control over my narrative, and that opens up all sorts of possibilities. Sure, we can get all nihilistic up in here (you've seen that unfold in my battle log), and yeah, every story has to end, but I still get to decide whether it plays out as a tragedy or as a heroic saga.

Cause if you are, feel free to post a recording of your 70 bpm! Fun stuff!

Let me get the full song worked out, and I'll see what I can do. Are you familiar with the song? Here it is just in case.

Did not know when you would be back so I did not go looking! Here to support now! 

Love that you are focusing on what you ARE doing instead of the habit you want to break :)

As bad as it sounds, the COVID stuff has given me some perspective. There's the usual doom and gloom stuff, but there's also a lot of opportunity. Having to do virtually everything from home is causing me to re-evaluate a lot: My spending, how I'm using my time, what I value, all of it.

And to circle it back to the drinking issue, some of that "trying to break habits" stuff was about me deflecting attention from the one habit that I actually needed to address. And no lie, I feel super-super-super exposed talking about this stuff like this. The focus on what I am doing as opposed to my habit is partially intended to mitigate that feeling, but it's also there to remind me of what I can accomplish when I'm not laying around like a slug all day.

Now, I'll be right back. Last I checked, I believe I owed y'all a workout.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Day 7.

Plan for the day:

1. No lifting today. Rest day. B day tomorrow.

2. Will update finances.

3. Gonna do a lot of cleaning and organizing.

4. Promised the puppies a walk.

5. Snuck in some piano practice on "Don't Stop me Now" this morning. May work on some sight reading this evening, but I won't push it.

6. Not gonna drink beer. Not gonna play video games. That'll make one full week for me at 8 pm tonight.

Changing up my format a little bit for these challenges. No change to the quests themselves. Just in how my progress is presented.

• Like 1

Day 7.

Here's the rundown.

No lifts. Rest day today.

7 days no alcohol or video games.

Finances are up to date as of earlier this morning.

In other news:

Just about got that full page of "Don't Stop Me Now" worked up. Not anywhere near at speed, but at least I've got the fingerings and rhythm down.

Put together a couple of chairs. Changed some lightbulbs. Did a little bit of straightening up. Listened to some podcasts. All in all, a productive day.

Finished that damn Cybersecurity quiz, too.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, theflyingaccountant said:

As bad as it sounds, the COVID stuff has given me some perspective. There's the usual doom and gloom stuff, but there's also a lot of opportunity. Having to do virtually everything from home is causing me to re-evaluate a lot: My spending, how I'm using my time, what I value, all of it.

100% this.  Once I got passed the initial overwhelming stress, I found a similar perspective.  I just hope to maintain this outlook as time progresses. 

On 5/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, theflyingaccountant said:

And no lie, I feel super-super-super exposed talking about this stuff like this.

Thankfully these nerds are amazingly supportive. 

• Like 1

Day 8.

Stronglifts B day today. That means squats, overhead press, and deadlift.

Finances have been updated. Not a lot of activity today. Business as usual in COVID times.

Now, all that's left is for me to not do some stuff. So, I'll be spending the rest of the day not drinking and not playing video games.

...that doesn't sound like much fun. I might throw in a little bit of grass cutting and some study just to spice things up a bit. Maybe some porch sitting and puppy playing-withing if I'm feeling really adventurous.

22 minutes ago, Chesire said:

Thankfully these nerds are amazingly supportive. 

Exactly. This is the only place where I would be this open about it, and it's mostly because everyone has made me feel safe enough to do so. That's a lot of the reason why I keep coming back time after time.

22 minutes ago, Chesire said:

100% this.  Once I got passed the initial overwhelming stress, I found a similar perspective.  I just hope to maintain this outlook as time progresses.

I'm kind of odd in that when things have been going well, I'm pretty doom-and-gloom. "Oh, you all think things are great now, but one of these days, there's gonna be a huge change. That which comes up must come down. The wheel of fortune keeps turning. Blah blah." So I initially took the pandemic as 1) I was right; 2) It could have been much worse; 3) Everything's got a silver lining; and 4) While I know a lot of folks who are having a hard time of it, just speaking financially for my household, it's been a huge boon because it's forced us to radically change our spending habits.

That said, I'm seeing more pockets in my days where a subtle general crazy creeps in. The loneliness is getting to me. I find moments when I just don't feel right. I can't explain it. I just feel off. And I miss human contact fiercely. I miss being able to hug people or to shake their hands. There's also a bit of survivor's guilt that I feel because I know that things are going so well for me and they're absolutely not going well for others.

• Like 2

Day 8.

About 2.5 hours away from 8 pm. Getting this one in now because, by then, I'll probably be working on dinner.

Stronglifts done.

Squat: 80 X 5 X 5

OHP: 60 X 5 X 5 (though I just barely squeaked that last one out).

Deadlift: 95 X 5 X 1.

Finances will be up to date here in a minute when I add the grocery trip from this afternoon.

No booze and no games.

In other news: Decided to tackle the yard work. Delegated the fun stuff (riding lawnmower) to the wife so I could have time to attack a particularly grown up part in front of my house. It's mostly brush, poison ivy, dead branches, possibly a dead snake (don't ask), and steep hills that can only be cut by either a weedeater or a pushmower. Since I don't have a weedeater.

And, since I was feeling industrious, I decided to take a shot at removing an old railroad tie that had been blocking the path of my mower on the far side of the property. Up until now, I'd just given up on ever moving the thing, but today, I thought "to hell with it" and went at it with a pickaxe. It split in two, and I was able to carry off both pieces (each clocking in at around 90-100 pounds) to the back yard.

And only then did I go and lift weights.

Feels good to be a badass.

• Like 1