• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

foxinthenorth

Fox and the Jedi

I've been playing Jedi: Fallen Order.

I've been writing a just-for-fun YA urban fantasy story involving a dragon spirit.

These things have conspired to make me miss martial arts, consider taking up meditation (but like, seriously this time), contemplate trying parkour again because why not also pretty sure I can do that while in lockdown, and look at buying a new pair of shoes which I really don't need because I don't wear shoes anymore apparently? Also I almost bought red hair dye so I can do a Cal cosplay but didn't because there's this whole math with shipping costs where if I spent $11 on the small hair dye the shipping is $7 and that seems like way too much but if I buy 3 then it's $33 and $7 seems more reasonable but the other color I want is out of stock because I procrastinated on buying hair dye back when lockdown started and now it's all backordered. Also my next opportunity to actually wear a Star Wars costume is, like, months away, so there's really no rush on that. Aaaand I just looked and the Blue for Brown Hair is back in stock so maybe it's time??

ANYWAY.

I like @Novaurora's points and prize system from last challenge, so I'm borrowing that idea and mapping it onto the Fallen Order skill tree.

giphy.gif

Lightsaber

Physical prowess!

• P90X3 in the morning on weekdays = 1 point per day, 30 max. possible points (the 12-minute Cold Start "warmup" only counts as a P90X3 workout if we also go for a walk that morning) P90X3 workout or 30 minute run, any time of day, extra credit for weekends starting May 23 = 30 max. possible points and 7 extra credit points
  • 20-30 minutes of yoga with sister 3x a week = 1 point per day, 18 max. possible points 5x a week starting week of May 18 = 26 max. possible points (in other words, 8 extra credit points available in yoga)
  • Practice jumping. Jumping is one of those things I've gotten worse at as I've gotten older. Jumping = 1 point per day, 42 max. possible points

tumblr_ppwz0d2HIn1qfqhaxo5_500.gifv

Force

Mental/emotional/creative/spiritual prowess!

• Read Bible daily = 1 point per day, 42 max. possible points
  • Write words in for-fun writing project = 1 point per day, 42 max. possible points
  • Draw something, anything = 1 point per day, 42 max. possible points
  • Extra credit: Write words in Main Serious Writing Project = 5 points each time I do it

giphy.webp

Survival

Literally just surviving the rest of work from home time and not feeling so bad about myself! These are things that I think will help my mental space as working has gotten rough lately.

• 60 seconds of cool-cold water at the end of showering = 1 point per day, 42 max. possible points
  • When working, close tabs except for my to-do list and the thing I am supposed to be working on right now = 1 point if I did it for the majority of the day, 30 max. possible points
  • Take Mind Health (b-vitamin and CoQ10 drink mix from Arbonne) before 1:30pm = 1 point per day, 30 max. possible points
  • Actually take up a meditation practice — since I don't have a plan yet and this requires a plan, I am not counting Week 0. Therefore, meditate = 1 point per day of practice, 35 max. possible points

TOTAL POSSIBLE POINTS = 288 (assuming I did my mental math right)

Prize at End of Challenge (I will fill this in later! I don't have good ideas yet)

260+ points: 

230-259 points:

200-229 points:

150-199 points:

• Like 5

Day 1 (5/3) Total = 2

Cold shower = 1

Write = 1

I made a spreadsheet to track these points! I have these items in Habitica as well but I wanted an easy way to tally each day and get the total at the end of the challenge.

• Like 1

Day 2 (5/4) Total = 5

P90X3, Yoga, Bible, Write (only 171 words but them's words), Cold Shower.

This morning's workout included jumping. Two birds, one stone? 😉

Hi hi hiiii!

JUMPING!! I love jumping and I find the more I hike outside lately, how bad I have gotten... I struggle at jumping down from small ledges and stuff and MAYBE, I should work on my jumps too..........

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, loire said:

Hi hi hiiii!

JUMPING!! I love jumping and I find the more I hike outside lately, how bad I have gotten... I struggle at jumping down from small ledges and stuff and MAYBE, I should work on my jumps too..........

We can work on jumps together! I find it's hard for me to bring my knees up when jumping AND it's hard to land gracefully, I'm scared of jarring my hips so I like stretch my feet out toward it and then end up in a crouch which is not great for my knees. I think wearing shoes and jumping on grass outside will help that part.

Also HIII!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Here for this!  Win all the prizes!!

Woohoo!!

I'm in a big soda mood at the moment and not sure if putting Dr Pepper as a prize means I can't have it before the challenge is over. 😆I don't have any right now; I usually buy it from the campus cafe when a couple of my coworkers call #DrPepperOClock and we all go together. I can walk to the liquor store down the block and see if they have an individual bottle or can...and put "a 6 pack of 7.5-oz cans that I can drink whenever I want" as the lowest level prize because a small stock is technically different than a single serving.

--

Day 3 (5/5) = 5 points!

I was pretty good about keeping my tabs down yesterday. Also got points for Mind Health, cold shower, yoga, and P90X3.

I'm contemplating what my meditation plan will be. On the one hand, moving meditation sounds like it'll be the most fun, such as slower yoga or tai chi (which I've done before). On the other hand, Jedi do the sit and meditate thing so that's thematically appealing....

Hello I just realized lemonade has the same amount of sugar as soda

I should have known this because it is a sweet beverage but I did not connect the dots

I just made lemonade and was doing the math for fun because sometimes I like to calculate how many tablespoons of sugar I'm drinking

Lemme just say

It's a lot

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Hello I just realized lemonade has the same amount of sugar as soda

I should have known this because it is a sweet beverage but I did not connect the dots

I just made lemonade and was doing the math for fun because sometimes I like to calculate how many tablespoons of sugar I'm drinking

Lemme just say

It's a lot

This is why i just chuck the fruit directly in my water. Skip the middle man.  Sometimes nothing is quite as good as fresh lemonade, though.

16 hours ago, Novaurora said:

This is why i just chuck the fruit directly in my water. Skip the middle man.  Sometimes nothing is quite as good as fresh lemonade, though.

True that. I didn't turn all of our fresh squeezed lemon juice into lemonade so I'm still having a splash of it in my water approximately daily, which is delightful. These thin-skinned lemons from a neighbor's tree are much sweeter and juicier than standard store lemons and it makes a Hydroflask full of water that much easier to drink (and I like water!).

--

Day 4 (5/6) = 3 points

Cold shower, P90X3, writing.

Today I already messed up the P90X3 routine, mostly because I interpreted my husband getting some food as a sign that he didn't want to work out so then I suggested we start work early and take a longer lunch to do a 45 minute yoga instead of 20-30. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm wondering if my highest tier is too high, realistically, given that I rarely draw AND write on the same day, but I decided to keep it because I would love to at least spend a couple minutes drawing or writing on a day that I'm primarily doing the other.

Happy Thursday everybody! Stay strong.

• Like 2

I love a slice of lemon in my water too!  Lately I've been adding blueberries too... I agree, having water taste like -not water- makes it way easier to drink!

HAPPY THURSDAY!!

21 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

I'm wondering if my highest tier is too high, realistically, given that I rarely draw AND write on the same day, but I decided to keep it because I would love to at least spend a couple minutes drawing or writing on a day that I'm primarily doing the other.

On days I can't be arsed to work on any of my regular projects, I have a book of story starters, and when I'm really in the writing groove, I force myself to write one of those just to keep up the practice.  There are probably a bunch of lists for both drawing and writing out there for free on the internet  if you just needed a kick start on a day that you've already done one.

16 hours ago, loire said:

I love a slice of lemon in my water too!  Lately I've been adding blueberries too... I agree, having water taste like -not water- makes it way easier to drink!

HAPPY THURSDAY!!

Ooh and blueberries look pretty, too!

3 hours ago, Novaurora said:

On days I can't be arsed to work on any of my regular projects, I have a book of story starters, and when I'm really in the writing groove, I force myself to write one of those just to keep up the practice.  There are probably a bunch of lists for both drawing and writing out there for free on the internet  if you just needed a kick start on a day that you've already done one.

That's a great idea! I'll make a list for sure. Yesterday I watched the next two videos in a LinkedIn Learning drawing course that I started while in the thick of my Red-Sister-obsession-fueled fan art kick and then promptly forgot about. I had thought maybe I would just watch all of the videos in one go but after two I felt like I needed to stop and absorb them, practice the technique a couple times, etc. I didn't end up drawing, mostly because I had a headache and didn't want to look at small things and by the time the painkillers kicked in I had a Zoom call scheduled with some friends, but it felt good to pick up the videos again and not just leave them to die in my pile of unfinished projects.

And then! I wrote the little bit of a scene I had come up with while on a walk, even though I hadn't written the connecting scene yet. I'll fill in the gaps later. I'm proud of this because a lot of times I try to write the whole thing instead of little pieces because I'm afraid I won't be able to connect them, but I decided writing something at all was more important than writing a cohesive chapter on first try.

Otherwise:

Day 5 (5/7) = 5 points

Yoga, Bible, Writing, Cold Shower, One Tab 😊

I still haven't come up with a plan for meditating. 🤭

Happy Friday everybody!!! I'm listening to Rebecca Black, because I was curious what she's done since the infamous Friday song. She has a really nice voice, and looks like has released a handful of kinda easy listening pop stuff.

• Like 1

Hello foxinthenorth, I'm Min! Collecting points sound like fun! There's just something fun about collecting things isn't there? ( ᐛ )و

I also have issues with jumping as I have previous knee and ankle injuries. I've been told strengthening the quad and calf muscles will help. Looking forward to your journey!

Hello everybody! I am bad at posting on the weekends!

For Day 7 (5/8) = 6 points!

Day 8 (5/9) = 2 points!

Day 9 (5/10) = 3 points! Might rally a 4th if I read my bible before sleeping.

I'm supposed to start meditating today but did I come up with a plan yet? No I did not.

I'm also considering switching my prize system from a grand total to a weekly total? TBD. I think I'm more motivated by small rewards, because I don't really want to spend money on anything right now and little things like making a special food or having a soda are fun.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:44 AM, //Min said:

Hello foxinthenorth, I'm Min! Collecting points sound like fun! There's just something fun about collecting things isn't there? ( ᐛ )و

I also have issues with jumping as I have previous knee and ankle injuries. I've been told strengthening the quad and calf muscles will help. Looking forward to your journey!

Hi Min! I love collecting things...it's why Habitica works so well for me! I don't collect too much in real life, fortunately, just interesting bottles and jars (which I thinned down when I got married and moved in with my husband)...and stuffed animals...and succulents...

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 1:44 AM, //Min said:

I thought about this during my workout this morning! Lots of quad and calf and different kinds of jumping.

I will be counting this for both P90X3 and jumping. 😉

1 minute ago, Salinger said:

HEY :) good to see you Fox, cool challenge :D xx

HIYO good to see you too!!

--

I got my 4th point last night!

Happy Monday everyone! May your weeks start strong.

Apparently I was having bad dreams and woke my husband up last night. I have no memory of this. But the side effect was husband got up early to make tea because he'd had poor sleep, and so then I got up early because I wanted to know what he was doing/make sure he was okay and so we went for a walk outside before working out and it was JUST LOVELY. Nice, cool fresh air, but it's generally warm these days so it wasn't chilly. Great way to start the day! Also we pet the neighbor's cat.

I'm currently having trouble getting going at work (and updating this instead...) and low-key hoping finishing my coffee helps. I've been having a cup of coffee in the morning then mixing the Mind Health with a "fizz stick" which has 55mg caffeine...has anyone else's caffeine intake gone way up during quarantine? 😝

Random related story: I found, by coincidence, that a LOT of caffeine does indeed help me focus. One time I had a Thai iced tea at lunch, and then had a headache so I took two Excedrin (130mg caffeine) and I was on FIRE for the last two hours of the day. But, I am sensitive to caffeine so the quantity that helps my brain tends to also make my heart go bububububububububububububu. One medium sized cup of coffee and the drink mix seems to be a comfortable middle ground, though.

And I just remembered I have two Thai iced tea bags/mixes (I don't know which, I've never opened one) in my cupboard! And I love Thai iced tea!

Okay last fun fact before I get back to trying to work: drinking 5 cups of root beer while playing a tabletop RPG (via Discord video chat) about fairies falling in love may be delicious and fun but can also cause stomach aches. 😂 I was like "My stomach hurts a little, I think it's from the 5 cups of root beer" and my husband was like "YOU HAD FIVE CUPS??" Yeahhhhh...but me and my friends spent 5 hours building up relationships and conflict between the magic-blacksmith fairy and the impish-king-of-the-seas fairy and the somber wounded knight and it was just so good. The two friends I played with are GENIUS at coming up with incredible fairy imagery. (The game is In Dreaming Avalon for anyone curious.)

Okay, I'm out! Have fun today everybody.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

I'm currently having trouble getting going at work (and updating this instead...) and low-key hoping finishing my coffee helps.

This is me every day.

6 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

I've been having a cup of coffee in the morning then mixing the Mind Health with a "fizz stick" which has 55mg caffeine...has anyone else's caffeine intake gone way up during quarantine? 😝

giphy.gif

I wish caffeine did that for me.  The first thing it amps up is my anxiety. 

18 hours ago, Novaurora said:

This is me every day.

giphy.gif

I wish caffeine did that for me.  The first thing it amps up is my anxiety. 

😔anxiety no bueno. Caffeine can really do that, though, for sure. I was a very gradual caffeine convert. Cheap coffee makes me feel sick, and it was approximately 18 months ago that I discovered light and medium roast coffee from small hipster roasters agrees with me. Before getting into bougie coffee, I drank tea sometimes, but it was kind of caffeine roulette as to whether it would make me more alert or just jittery. About two years ago I picked up a daily earl grey habit, kicked it for several months, then got into coffee. But my morning routine did not include making coffee, so I'd just get some daily caffeine from tea or fizz sticks.

AND THEN QUARANTINE HIT. Now I make coffee every morning and I love it. But I never drink it on an empty stomach, or jitters and anxiety it is. tbh it's effect kinda vary from day to day, but I've definitely developed a sufficient caffeine tolerance.

--

Today is another hard-to-get-started day. 😓 It's 10:30 and I haven't done anything yet. 😭 Except determine that the blue for brown hair dye is actually out of stock even though it wasn't listed as such initially and now I don't know if I should get red dye because I wanted to do red before, even though I have my heart set on blue right now, and also it's going to take 4 weeks to get here which puts a dent in my "impulsively going to dye my hair to exert control over something during week 9 of quarantine"...though to be fair I've been thinking about it for all 9 weeks so far...I have the opposite of impulsivity which is not doing things I want to do? Maybe I buy a different dye? oVertone was appealing because it's deposit-only and semi-permanent, so less of a commitment than henna and won't damage hair like some box dyes might.

Sorry it's a grumpy day. 🤭

Points time:

Yesterday, day 10, 5/11 = 7 points!

P90X3, Yoga, Jumping, Drawing, Cold Shower, One Tab, Mind Health

One of my friends got me to finish a piece of fan art by casually making suggestions about adding light and I COULD NOT LET HER DOWN so even though I was about to call it quits I kept going back and making more changes and now it looks 8000000x more amazing, she is the best.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Sorry it's a grumpy day. 🤭

Grumpy day hugs (੭ु。╹▿╹。)੭ु⁾⁾. I hope you're feeling better! 

2 hours ago, //Min said:

Grumpy day hugs (੭ु。╹▿╹。)੭ु⁾⁾. I hope you're feeling better! 

I am feeling better, thanks. 🤗 I had a good time playing a game over video chat with some friends. 

I've been looking at oVertone for a LONG time for purple-to-brown and I've been hedging and on the fence 'cause I heard it "bleeds" a lot onto things like clothes and pillows and my hair is real dark so I'm worried it'll just be a moot point...... aaaaa........ I too am VERY the opposite of impulsive, I'll research and hem and haw until I'm dust in the wind ahaha!

PLS POST IF YOU GET IT OK?? I'm interested!!

I hope today is less grumpy!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, loire said:

I've been looking at oVertone for a LONG time for purple-to-brown and I've been hedging and on the fence 'cause I heard it "bleeds" a lot onto things like clothes and pillows and my hair is real dark so I'm worried it'll just be a moot point...... aaaaa........ I too am VERY the opposite of impulsive, I'll research and hem and haw until I'm dust in the wind ahaha!

PLS POST IF YOU GET IT OK?? I'm interested!!

I hope today is less grumpy!!

My mom has been doing purple streaks with oVertone and she recommended it, says it washes out in a couple washes and didn't mention anything about bleeding. The blue for brown was out of stock, though, so I got Ginger. They have a 4-week processing delay so it'll be 6ever before it arrives but when it does and when I do, I'll let you know! I'll be switching from my cream-colored pillowcase to my navy pillowcase to be safe. 😬

Meanwhile I bought blue and purple from Arctic Fox which should arrive in a week or so. Gonna mix them together and hope it turns my medium brown hair a dark blue!

--

Day 11 (5/12) aka yesterday: 5 points!

P90X3, Yoga, Bible, Drawing, Cold Shower

This lack of plan for meditation is maybe going to hurt me. 😝If only I could get as hyperfixated on making a plan for meditation as I could on wanting blue hair dye...

HAPPY HUMP DAY Y'ALL!

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2020 at 1:34 PM, foxinthenorth said:

I wanted to do red before, even though I have my heart set on blue right now, and also it's going to take 4 weeks to get here which puts a dent in my "impulsively going to dye my hair to exert control over something during week 9 of quarantine".

Just my 2 cents (as my hair has been like 7 different colors including blue, purple, various reds, maroon, blond, pink, etc) blue is a bitch.  It looks so great, but doesn't stay long (without bleach) which may work perfectly for a short term plan.  Different types of hair like different colors.  My hair will stay red for AGES (if you ask my students they will tell you my hair is red) which is nice because I have to dye it less often.  My favorite is purple, but it also had a tendency to fade quicker than I want.  I have wanted to try overtone, but nost recently, I've had my heart set on this

Screenshot_20200220-113229.thumb.jpg.25bb9bd015d61318b7e3861bb761c4df.jpg

but it will have to wait until after quarantine as it will take three trips to a professional to do correctly.

I hope your hair dreams come true soon!!