• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

foxinthenorth

Fox and the Jedi

15 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Just my 2 cents (as my hair has been like 7 different colors including blue, purple, various reds, maroon, blond, pink, etc) blue is a bitch.  It looks so great, but doesn't stay long (without bleach) which may work perfectly for a short term plan.  Different types of hair like different colors.  My hair will stay red for AGES (if you ask my students they will tell you my hair is red) which is nice because I have to dye it less often.  My favorite is purple, but it also had a tendency to fade quicker than I want.  I have wanted to try overtone, but nost recently, I've had my heart set on this

Screenshot_20200220-113229.thumb.jpg.25bb9bd015d61318b7e3861bb761c4df.jpg

but it will have to wait until after quarantine as it will take three trips to a professional to do correctly.

I hope your hair dreams come true soon!!

Good to know! I'm expecting the blue to fade/wash out in a couple weeks at most, and then I'll do ginger. I did some reading about how to counteract green tones that blue gets when put on brown hair, which is why I got the purple dye, which the site said blends well with brown hair because it's a warm color. But this is my first time coloring my hair, ever, so it's all brand new territory and a total experiment! I tried henna about 2 1/2 years ago but it wasn't a good mix or we did it wrong or something because it didn't color my hair at all and all I managed to get was vaseline all in my hair...

I will definitely post updates. Currently shipping tracking predicts the blue will be here on Monday.

That blue/purple/light/dark look is amazing! So cool. I can definitely see that it requires a professional, though, look at that fade and those layers! Looks like it will be worth the wait.

10 hours ago, Salinger said:

I had bright blue hair for a while, this is me and my dad (who is teaching me to use a chainsaw HAHA)

12990995_10153915672911201_3810926440276

The bright blue hair is made even more awesome because you're both wearing blue sweatshirts...and you're holding a chainsaw! That's awesome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

The bright blue hair is made even more awesome because you're both wearing blue sweatshirts...and you're holding a chainsaw! That's awesome.

hahaah thanks Fox, i miss that hair. 

My hair is dark brown naturally by the way, so you can get there :) xx

• Like 1

Hello, still alive over here. Spent over 3 hours fighting the Ninth Sister in Fallen Order, so finally bailed out of the video game world to do something else.

Points!

5/14 = 4 points

5/15 = 3 points

Still stuck on prizes, people....but I did open a webpage on meditation, so making a tiny tiny tiny bit of progress there...

I think I shall write now. Have a good weekend, everybody!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Hello, still alive over here. Spent over 3 hours fighting the Ninth Sister in Fallen Order, so finally bailed out of the video game world to do something else.

YESSS TO BEING STILL ALIVE!!! :D

Hope you're having a great weekend!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, //Min said:

YESSS TO BEING STILL ALIVE!!! :D

Hope you're having a great weekend!!

You too! So far so good!

--

I FOUND A MEDITATION APP!

PROGRESS!

The campus pastor at the university where I work mentioned Ken Shigematsu who had spoken at a conference about meditation so I Googled him a bunch until I found an app that, according a book review, he uses. I will try it tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Heyo my dudes.

It was a weekend of strange despondency.

I played a lot of Jedi: Fallen Order.

Hopefully I've shaken it off.

I was in such a funk yesterday, and then started to come out of it after a video call and making dinner, and from then on my evening was a string of minor, comical disasters. I wanted to mix a drink with the grapefruit juice I squeezed, so I texted my friend, and she called me so she and her boyfriend could brainstorm with me, and I was making a modified grog and the top of my shaker came off and I threw rum and grapefruit juice and honey all over my dining room, so I then spent the next 10-15 minute picking grapefruit pulp out of the carpet and scrubbing it with laundry stain remover and as I write this I recall that I left it open on the counter so I'm gonna go put the lid back on that bottle--

The cap is on. Either I put it on and didn't register or my husband did it. Also the carpet still seems sticky and I don't think I adequately washed out the stain remover so I guess I'll be doing more scrubbing tonight.

ANYWAY! So I scrubbed the carpet, and the sip that remained in the shaker was really good so I decided to remake the drink, half size, but I don't think I did the math in my head right and put too much grapefruit juice. But at this point, my arm is sticky and my feet are sticky and my phone is totally sticky and my earbuds are sticky and everything is a mess so I wash the dishes while listening to music. Then I'm trying to tell my husband that everything is sticky and I take my phone out of my pocket and drop it, yanking the earbuds out so I was like THATS IT I'M SHOWERING

AND THERE WAS A SPIDER IN THE SHOWER

So I jump back out, make husband get the spider, get back in and discover the spider left SPIDERWEBS EVERYWHERE AND THEY ARE TOUCHING ME

The water washes them away, and I am no longer sticky, and I go to bed, and I sleep deeply, probably helped by the two ounces of grog I anger-gulped right before taking a hot-then-cold shower.

So, today is already looking up. 😄

By the way, this was my modified navy grog recipe:

2oz Kraken

3/4 oz fresh white grapefruit juice (my friend nearly died of envy when I told him a friend had dropped some white grapefruits off)

~1/3 lime juice from the bottle (would be 3/4 oz if fresh squeezed)

1oz honey syrup (equal parts water and honey)

Dry shake, add ice, shake again, strain into cup

Points time!

5/16 = 2 points

5/17 = 3 points

I like the meditation app so far. It's much simpler than the ones I've poked around before. Instead of having to choose from a library of guided meditations, it shows you basic instructions (the same each time), displays a prayer or scripture to read (you choose ahead of time), plays a starting sound, runs a timer for however long you say, and plays an ending sound.

I'm listening to The HU, because they did a song for Fallen Order, and I'm really digging it. Mongolian throat singing meets heavy metal and I am here for it.

• Like 2

Oh man! I’m so sorry but couldn’t help but laugh! Poor thing... Oh that sounds like such crazy evening... I’m glad you’re feeling better already!

20 hours ago, //Min said:

Oh man! I’m so sorry but couldn’t help but laugh! Poor thing... Oh that sounds like such crazy evening... I’m glad you’re feeling better already!

It was funny even to me while it was happening...my husband took a picture of me taking a picture of the spill to post on Instagram 😂

But it was definitely time to call it quits on the evening.

--

Points!

5/18 = 5 points

Quarantine funk is hanging on in the form of tiredness. Caffeine did nothing for me yesterday, and not much today. I'm sleeping like the dead, which is good. I tend to sleep poorly for a few days then sleep well for a few days, so I'm in the catching-up stage of sleep. But, I'm tired throughout the day, and I'm sure a lot of it is just...all of this.

I washed my hair this morning, hallelujah. I did some online research yesterday and read that you can reset your scalp to it's normal oil production but can't really change it, so I think a week is plenty and I ditched the "Two weeks to let your scalp reset" idea that worked for people with totally different hair types than me. It still doesn't feel totally clean, which was the problem that set me off on this experiment in the first place. I haven't had hair that really feels clean in about two months. The problem was starting off and on before quarantine, and then a couple weeks in we went from "my hair doesn't seem to be getting clean every time I wash it" to "shampoo is making it worse." I did baking soda and vinegar washes for a while, then ordered this gentle daily shampoo and started on my no-wash quest.

I am at this point ready to just start buying clarifying shampoos regardless of how they might be harsh or bad for my hair because what's the point in having technically healthy hair if it looks and feels dull, limp, and greasy? No thank you. But I'll try mixing baking soda with this gentle shampoo first.

Did I already talk about all this? I don't remember.

My hair dye is lost in the mail so Blue Hair Dreams are still waiting. Hopefully the package will rematerialize soon. 😬

On the positive news train, going for morning walks is THE BEST right now, the weather is just perfect and it's a delightful way to wake up. It's been replacing our morning workout more often than not lately (which is affecting my points...but I feel okay about that).

Happy Tuesday everybody!

• Like 2

Only 2 points for yesterday (5/19) 😬

Had a good time playing a game over video with my friends, though, and found out we're getting an extra day off after the holiday next week. 🙌😭🙌

Making coffee now...I have become a coffee junkie...a caffeine addict...I have mixed feelings about this...

So this going to sound like a stupid thing to say on a fitness forum but

I think

I need

to exercise more

And I don't know what to change in my quarantine routine to make this happen but I've hit another low in the Pandemic Mood Roller Coaster and I'm pretty sure that 30-45 minutes of cardio (running or HIIT) and 30-45 minutes of yoga is becoming the minimum I need to function. A 30 minute walk in the morning and 30-45 minutes of yoga at lunch isn't quite cutting it. 

TBD

I will think on this.

Sorry today is rough. Maybe swapping out the yoga or walking a few days a week for something more intense (weight or cardio) seems like time wise, it would be hard to add more

I did my meditation today! And I read my bible! I'm not going to take damage from Habitica for the first time in like 3 days!

I'm having black tea instead of coffee today. I'm gonna record sleep and caffeine intake for a bit to see if there's any reason why my Mind Health + Fizz Stick concoction works better on some days than others.

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry today is rough. Maybe swapping out the yoga or walking a few days a week for something more intense (weight or cardio) seems like time wise, it would be hard to add more

Thanks. I perked up later in the afternoon, which was nice. And last night one of my friends who is quite a good writer complimented me on some scenes I had sent her and told me to "tell your imposter syndrome I said to go f* itself" so I'm holding onto that mood boost. My boss also said during our one on one, "Every single week you tell me you feel like you haven't gotten that much done. How much is enough? Have you gotten an appropriate amount of work done? Try that instead." So I've got people trying to help me chill out a bit.

In other good news, my blue hair dye arrived last night! At least one of my friends wants me to just go for it, whole head, but I still think I'll do a strand test first. 😂I just want to know if it comes out bright, in which case I'll do the bottom half, or if it comes out dark, in which I'll do whole head.

Have I already talked about this?? I don't know. I can't keep track anymore. I'll post pictures after I do it!

Oh my gosh. Last story and then I log out. @//Min I made the same drink again last night, and I put my hand on top of the shaker, but the lid didn't seal properly and I STILL SPILLED IT!!! My husband laughed really hard. 😂It was a much smaller spill. And I was on the phone with the same friend. 😂Lesson learned, though. Now I will only shake cocktails over the sink!

• Like 1

Heyo everyone—

I shall be making a slight modification to my challenge. Because husband and I have been going on walks in the morning and doing yoga during lunch (even when my sister can't join us virtually), my maximum number of possible yoga points has gone up a little bit. And, doing P90X3 in the morning has switched to any kind of rigorous workout, whether it's P90X3 or a run.

The experiment is this: I am going to run in the evening, and see if that tires me out enough that I can fall asleep at bedtime and wake up at wake time. This may be less helpful to my focus than working out in the morning, but if it does indeed help me sleep, the cumulative effect of better sleep might even out any loss from morning cardio. We'll see. Runs will likely be in the 7-8pm range, so dinner has digested enough and I have enough cooldown time before bed.

I've been spending enough time just kind of faffing about in the evenings that this isn't really a loss of time I would put toward other things, and the run might boost my focus to write or draw in the evenings. Hopefully, it'll tame the restlessness that's getting worse by the day.

• Like 1

Last night I did the strand test on my hair (could not see any color on the darker strands, so I'll be leaving it on for longer and doing my whole head) and wrote some and made (and ate) a whole bowl of popcorn, and ran for 30 minutes.

I didn't fall asleep until well after midnight and slept poorly, so maybe running at 8:30pm was too late. 😝The experiment will continue.

5 points for yesterday.

• Like 1

All right, my hair-coloring friends.

I put two parts Poseidon blue and one part Purple Rain in my hair and left it for 90 minutes. I painted my nails black. I rinsed the dye out, ruining my nail polish. That made me really grouchy, because I spent like 5ever doing them and husband is really sensitive to the smell of nail polish so I either have to do it outside or in the bathroom with the door closed and I'm not very good at painting nails so I was pleased that I had done a good job on them, and I was already hungry. Then I blow dried my hair, and became very dejected until I ate dinner. And some ice cream and a cookie. Now I feel better, though halfway through the cookie I remembered I'm supposed to run this evening and maybe should have saved it for after so I would have less to digest pre-run. That's logical, right? 😛

So, it's not blue. Inside, it looks kinda purply-black, which I like. Outside, it looks like purple highlights on brown, which I don't love. Maybe I didn't saturate it enough, which is why the brown is showing. I didn't use all of the dye, so I'm thinking I might put straight blue on and leave it on for like.......a really long time. 3 hours or so. If it doesn't take, it doesn't take, and blue isn't the color for me. My mom said she once had her hair professionally dyed blue and it came out purple to the shock of her stylist. So, maybe I'm genetically predisposed to reject blue. 😂Alternatively, maybe my brown hair is actually red-based, not yellow-based, and it turned the blue purple instead of the purple counteracting the blue turning green...

Anyway. The good news is, my hair feels soft, silky, and clean for the first time in MONTHS. Which has me wondering if conditioning masks may be the solution to my hair funk.

IMG_3386.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.46.26 PM.png

• Like 2

Very pretty! You might be on to something with the conditioning masks. I stopped having my hair color, and am just letting it go gray. I'm getting used to the gray hair, but feel like my hair always looks frizzy, and I think it might be that the conditioning she put on with the haircolor helped

• Like 1

I like how your hair looks.  I'm sorry you're not super pleased with it.  I will say that different hair takes color differently.  My hair holds red way better than purple, so when my stylist does maroon, she has to be careful not to add to much red or my hair just comes out red, regardless of the amount of purple she added.  I read back a few days and OMG your weekend feels like day out of my life.  I wish we lived closer; we would totally be friends.

Sorry I've been absent.  For once in my life I'm prioritizing correctly and NF falls to the wayside occasionally!!

13 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I like how your hair looks.  I'm sorry you're not super pleased with it.  I will say that different hair takes color differently.  My hair holds red way better than purple, so when my stylist does maroon, she has to be careful not to add to much red or my hair just comes out red, regardless of the amount of purple she added.  I read back a few days and OMG your weekend feels like day out of my life.  I wish we lived closer; we would totally be friends.

Sorry I've been absent.  For once in my life I'm prioritizing correctly and NF falls to the wayside occasionally!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I like it more on Day 2! I feel like it's actually darkened up a bit, but maybe I'm just more used to it and have gotten to see it in more lighting variations. I ordered ginger hair dye which I'm looking forward to more now that I've seen how my hair seems to be keeping the red tones from the purple more than the cool tones from the blue. When we went out to go through the In-N-Out drive through (4th time eating out in the last week and a half....it's the only kind of "going out" we can do...) I noticed more reddish colors in the sun. I feel like experimenting some more to see what my hair takes though didn't rally the energy to put more blue in today. I also like the darkness of it a lot, so I'm inspired to try mixing some black and purple! Later. When I feel like buying a bottle of black dye.

Living closer would be nice, as would being able to see each other if we did indeed live closer 😭I want to be laughable weekend buddies.

Way to go prioritizing correctly! That's part of what NF is all about, so don't feel bad! I'm proud of you for working on the important things in your life!

On 5/22/2020 at 7:42 PM, Elastigirl said:

Very pretty! You might be on to something with the conditioning masks. I stopped having my hair color, and am just letting it go gray. I'm getting used to the gray hair, but feel like my hair always looks frizzy, and I think it might be that the conditioning she put on with the haircolor helped

I'm still basking in the joy of having soft silky hair. It's like salon-soft, which also goes away after the first wash. I had no idea it was possible to get this feeling at home, and now I want to find something that does it without having to go through the whole process of coloring my hair each time 😅 oVertone has a colorless conditioner, so I might try that. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I like it more on Day 2! I feel like it's actually darkened up a bit, but maybe I'm just more used to it and have gotten to see it in more lighting variations. I ordered ginger hair dye which I'm looking forward to more now that I've seen how my hair seems to be keeping the red tones from the purple more than the cool tones from the blue. When we went out to go through the In-N-Out drive through (4th time eating out in the last week and a half....it's the only kind of "going out" we can do...) I noticed more reddish colors in the sun. I feel like experimenting some more to see what my hair takes though didn't rally the energy to put more blue in today. I also like the darkness of it a lot, so I'm inspired to try mixing some black and purple! Later. When I feel like buying a bottle of black dye.

Living closer would be nice, as would being able to see each other if we did indeed live closer 😭I want to be laughable weekend buddies.

Way to go prioritizing correctly! That's part of what NF is all about, so don't feel bad! I'm proud of you for working on the important things in your life!

I'm still basking in the joy of having soft silky hair. It's like salon-soft, which also goes away after the first wash. I had no idea it was possible to get this feeling at home, and now I want to find something that does it without having to go through the whole process of coloring my hair each time 😅 oVertone has a colorless conditioner, so I might try that. 

This hair mask does it for me.  I use it twice a week and its as close as I can get (in spoiler because massive picture

Spoiler

Not Your Mother's Matcha Green Tea & Wild Apple Blossom Nutrient ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Novaurora said:

This hair mask does it for me.  I use it twice a week and its as close as I can get (in spoiler because massive picture

Reveal hidden contents

Not Your Mother's Matcha Green Tea & Wild Apple Blossom Nutrient ...

Awesome, thanks for the rec!

I put straight blue in for 3 hours (actually husband put it in so it was much more thoroughly and evenly applied) and--

It looks roughly like what I was hoping for!!

I have this pained expression in the picture lol because I was trying to get the light to hit my hair right and wasn't paying attention to my facial expression lol but this is the picture that shows off the dark base and blue streaks best!

Thank you everyone for bearing with my play-by-play on the hair color drama...which probably was not as extensive and I feel it was since I told like 6 people separately so I feel like this has been going on 6ever but THANK YOU still for telling me it looked nice when I was feeling grouchy. Blue is hard. I put a streak in husbands hair and it's very faint (though with him, it did take the expected greenish tint, as he has a dark blonde/light brown hair with yellow tones). We'll probably do a second application with a drop of purple to brighten it up on him.

IMG_7656.jpg

Your hair looks so cool! I love how its subtle too! I've never dyed my hair before so your updates are interesting! 

also, I was wondering what's the name of your meditation app? How is it working for you? I was thinking to start meditation sometime.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, //Min said:

Your hair looks so cool! I love how its subtle too! I've never dyed my hair before so your updates are interesting! 

also, I was wondering what's the name of your meditation app? How is it working for you? I was thinking to start meditation sometime.

Thank you! It's darkened up a bit even more since the photo, and it looks more blue in real life than it does on camera.

I'm using Centering Prayer for meditation. It's very simple, which I like. You choose your duration, the sound you want played at the beginning and end of the time, and optional prayer/scripture/devotion to display at the beginning and end, and then it just shows you the instructions (choose a word, gently return to it as you experience your thoughts during the time of silence). Other apps that I had looked at had libraries to choose from and just too much going on. The simplicity is helpful.

--

'Twas a four and a half day weekend for me! And I didn't work out or run or do yoga at all! I did write, so I get some points. 2 per day, in fact, mostly for writing and cold showers. My current grand total is 83.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

looks great Fox!! Also i adore your glasses :D xx

Thanks! They were really branching out for me. I always had thinner rectangular glasses, and I had my heart set on rectangular glasses, but those ones looked best and fit properly (they're low bridge fit from Warby Parker so my eyelashes *mostly* don't brush the lenses) and when I got the prescription fitted LO AND BEHOLD one's range of vision when wearing large round glasses is SO MUCH MORE than when wearing skinny rectangular glasses. I don't have to tilt my head up/down to see stuff, and because they fit properly and don't slide down my nose like the pair I wore for 5 years before them, I don't tilt my head back to look at my computer screen. It was an epiphany lol. Before the pandemic hit I was going to see if I could get some contacts that are more friendly with my eyes and wear my glasses less, but I didn't schedule the appointment so I remain a glasses person for now.

• Like 1