• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr enjoys the ride

Challenge wrap-up

Overall, I did pretty well on keeping a good attitude, even allowing for current events. I concentrated on doing projects that I care about, and that seemed to work. It helped that Dumbledore and Elf are both making an effort to do things around the house. I feel like we are making real progress for the first time in a long time.

On the fun project side, I finished spinning the silk from my dyeing class.

wjJArN2.jpg?1

I am very happy with how it turned out. The green is ~126 yards and 26.5 g. The rose is ~134 yards and 28.7g. That is not very much. I'm planning on knitting two lace scarves - one with a leaf and vine pattern for me, and one with a flame pattern for Elf. I haven't touched my current knitting project in over a month, so I'm not putting these in the knitting project queue yet.

The last silk format from the dye workshop is hankies. That means that individual silk cocoons are degummed and stretched out over a square frame. This makes them into translucent mesh squares. I had problems getting the dye to penetrate so they ended up with intense colors and white sections. The result was not appealing. Then the layers got messed up when I washed them, making them difficult to separate. Frustrating.

fBYPej9.jpg?1

I started working on opening this mess for spinning while Dumbledore read to me last week. With a bit of work, I got the mess straighted enough to pull off thin layers. Once off, I stretched the layers out for spinning. A single layer is shown on the right below. The colors went from intense to pastel and the volume multiplied many-fold.

pohAENU.jpg?2

I still think prepping hankies for spinning is too much work, but I have hope for the eventual product. Since these are going to take a while to prep, I went back to my previous spinning project that has a half bobbin of yarn already done. It is a medium weight black Wensleydale wool yarn. I have a bunch of it carded and ready to spin. Finishing this would also count as getting rid of a box from the garage.

Looking at outdoor projects, the garden looks better than it has in several years. Dumbledore and I got the front corner of the yard dug up and planted with flowers. The daylilies survived transplanting and are getting ready to bloom. I have snapdragons and moss roses around the edge for color. The transplanted ones are starting to bloom and some of the moss rose seedlings are up. I think some of the seeds got washed away, so I may replant those. I have flowers in pots on the back patio and the vegetable bed is done. Elf stained the deck and I put up lights. Elf and I spread wood chip mulch this weekend. There is still work to do, but we have made tremendous progress.

On the fitness side I've backslid quite a bit. I did yoga Monday - Thursday last week, but not Friday or on the weekend. I completely dropped doing kettlebells. I've picked up zen again. These are clearly areas I need to work on for my next challenge.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mistr said:

On the fitness side I've backslid quite a bit. I did yoga Monday - Thursday last week, but not Friday or on the weekend. I completely dropped doing kettlebells. I've picked up zen again. These are clearly areas I need to work on for my next challenge.

I did yoga on my lunch break, so now you have to ;) 

1 minute ago, Scalyfreak said:

I did yoga on my lunch break, so now you have to ;) 

Great minds think alike. I did yoga on my lunch break today too. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great work on the yard and fibers. The fitness stuff will be there for you next challenge, and after your workouts, you'll be able to sit out on the beautiful porch with some ice cream.

• Like 1

I'm really glad that we are on zero week and I don't have official goals yet. I have a new challenge ready to go, but work has been crazy busy. I'm just taking a quick break between meetings. I had to work late Tuesday and Wednesday. If I'm not efficient today, I'll have to stay late again. No exercise or zen happening either. :(

Back to the word mines. I hope to see you all soon.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I'm really glad that we are on zero week and I don't have official goals yet. I have a new challenge ready to go, but work has been crazy busy. I'm just taking a quick break between meetings. I had to work late Tuesday and Wednesday. If I'm not efficient today, I'll have to stay late again. No exercise or zen happening either. :(

Yuck, work can suck sometimes.

You will, of course, destroy your obstacles like the awesome person you are. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

Back to the word mines. I hope to see you all soon.

Soldier on my friend!

(or by now...hope you got it all done at a reasonable hour)

• Like 1

I finished the critical project at 9:15pm Thursday and went promptly to bed. I knew that if I started anything else it would be all over for me.

Today I've been working on catching up on the smaller things that I didn't get to yesterday. No progress at all on the rest of the project that should have been finished earlier this week. At this point I don't even care. No one is on my case about it. I can finish it next week and that will be fine. I just hope I didn't drop the ball on anything else important.

Yesterday I took a walk with Dumbledore before supper. Today I sat zen before work. Small steps toward getting back on track.

I'm glad the weather is supposed to be wet this weekend. That means I can stay inside and make progress on projects (like writing my next challenge 😊) The garden is coming along nicely. I can leave it to do its thing for a few days.

• Like 2