[Mad Hatter] Respawn #436-#438

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

My mood is finally perking back up again and energy levels slowly coming back! Yay! It hasn't yet translated to much more movement, but baby steps. At least I managed to get some work done both today and yesterday. And by today's work I mean sitting outside in the sun for a few hours, drinking coffee, eating ice cream and chatting with people. 😉It was very productive and clearly I need to start taking out my laptop outside more. It's just so nice to work in the fresh air, watching squirrels and pheasants. There's even a good picnic table right in front of my building where I still get wifi.

Yay! This sounds super nice, especially the fresh air and pheasants.

I have to say, most of what you guys are talking about are nowhere in the LEAGUE of burned fish sauce. It truly is one of the most lingering and pungently horrible smells. 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

If you are looking for THE WORST, just microwave squid that has been marinated in gochijang

This one I can't say I've experienced but it sounds like a contender, hahah.

1 hour ago, raptron said:

have to say, most of what you guys are talking about are nowhere in the LEAGUE of burned fish sauce. It truly is one of the most lingering and pungently horrible smells. 

Speaking for myself, I wasn't trying to compete, just contribute to the conversation. 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

I have to say, most of what you guys are talking about are nowhere in the LEAGUE of burned fish sauce. It truly is one of the most lingering and pungently horrible smells. 

Let's not turn this into a competition when someone tries to prove that please. Eww. 😛 

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I think you’ve only been not moving for max 2 weeks, so I’m hoping it’ll be fiiiine!

It's probably been more like a month plus a few kilos... 

20 hours ago, starsapart said:

This sounds FANTASTIC. Getting outside always helps lift my mood, too. I wish it weren't so unfathomably hot already. I'm missing my spring chair swing time. 🥵

Oh no! 😥

3 hours ago, raptron said:

This one I can't say I've experienced but it sounds like a contender, hahah.

Hahaha I see you've also been in the trenches. 😂

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:
Let's not turn this into a competition when someone tries to prove that please. Eww. 😛 

I'm happy test as long as someone else provides the kitchen. 😂

I didn't manage to move. Again. I just don't understand how my motivation can be so very low considering how fun it is... My one win is that I forced myself to do 5 push-ups. It was hard.

I love this aerial view of my ex-sweet potato. 

IMG_8277.jpg.452ced840e193799df9436c5cd8f7938.jpg

And I spotted a rainbow cloud. 😍

1423697516_IMG_83552copy.thumb.jpg.41def37ac5415c944ef81655d4705075.jpg

• Like 8
55 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I didn't manage to move. Again. I just don't understand how my motivation can be so very low considering how fun it is...

I'm right there with you. I always enjoy it when I'm doing it, but making myself start is such a misery. I relate.

55 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

And I spotted a rainbow cloud. 😍

This is such a beautiful picture!

On 5/18/2020 at 3:42 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I also feel very uncertain about trying out my own concepts. Because I know that whatever I do at this point it's going to fail... If it's not finished it can't suck, but it can also never be good.

It reminds me of what you told me not too long ago, of that “ugly” phase where nothing comes out right. When you’re in those relatively early stages of learning a skill, you’re always seeing the mistakes you made, and you’re always hyper-focusing on trying to avoid making them. I know that’s how I feel about playing music (I lost a lot of skill after putting the guitar down for several years, and now every time I pick it up, everything I play feels extra ugly).

“Failing” really just means you’re continuing to make mistakes as you learn. I think the fact that your mistakes matter so much to you, and stand out so readily when you look at your work, is a testament to how quickly you’re improving. I think anyone who’s teaching you would be a lot more concerned if you didn’t see any of those mistakes. I’m glad you’re still plugging away at it.

That sweet potato, btw, looks like the kind of thing that’s pretty if you’re just seeing a photo and would be super gross in person. Kind of like how burnt fish sauce sounds interesting on paper, but apparently is a terrible idea.

Now all I can think about is fish sauce caramel...

• Like 1
On 5/21/2020 at 8:56 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I didn't manage to move. Again. I just don't understand how my motivation can be so very low considering how fun it is... My one win is that I forced myself to do 5 push-ups. It was hard.

I love this aerial view of my ex-sweet potato. 

I ❤️ that you listed your win. When i have the training blahs i think of you and try to fix it with a dance party.. and then i tell myself that even if it doesnt end up breaking the blah then at least i moved a bit. 

and that is a great photo. 

On 5/21/2020 at 10:52 PM, starsapart said:

I'm right there with you. I always enjoy it when I'm doing it, but making myself start is such a misery. I relate.

My condolences. 🙂If you have any tips I'm all ears! Because I'm out.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:22 AM, PaulG said:

It reminds me of what you told me not too long ago, of that “ugly” phase where nothing comes out right. When you’re in those relatively early stages of learning a skill, you’re always seeing the mistakes you made, and you’re always hyper-focusing on trying to avoid making them. I know that’s how I feel about playing music (I lost a lot of skill after putting the guitar down for several years, and now every time I pick it up, everything I play feels extra ugly).

“Failing” really just means you’re continuing to make mistakes as you learn. I think the fact that your mistakes matter so much to you, and stand out so readily when you look at your work, is a testament to how quickly you’re improving. I think anyone who’s teaching you would be a lot more concerned if you didn’t see any of those mistakes. I’m glad you’re still plugging away at it.

That sweet potato, btw, looks like the kind of thing that’s pretty if you’re just seeing a photo and would be super gross in person. Kind of like how burnt fish sauce sounds interesting on paper, but apparently is a terrible idea.

Now all I can think about is fish sauce caramel...

The interesting here is that by hyper focusing on not making mistakes you can't draw (and I guess play) freely, which makes for a different kind of "mistake". But yes, the ugly phase is rough. And it's quite daunting that it's going to take years to bridge the gap. The first gap that is. 😉But I think/hope I've gotten past the 20 year phase where I immediately quit because I couldn't handle being in the gap. Now I feel pretty comfortable sitting here, even if impatient haha.

I can't remember who it was but someone here once talked about how in some periods it's the eye that improves and in some periods it's the skill. (Maybe it was @zenLara talking about music?) At the moment my eye is much stronger than my skill and will be for a long time I think. But it's an interesting point. Once I can't see all the mistakes it's a good sign I'll need external help.

Actually it was gorgeous IRL. 😄 I don't know how it happened but it had the woody texture all the way through, it wasn't squishy or shriveled or anything like that.

Ewwwww fish sauce caramel. That'd be the worst surprise. 😆🤮

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I ❤️ that you listed your win. When i have the training blahs i think of you and try to fix it with a dance party.. and then i tell myself that even if it doesnt end up breaking the blah then at least i moved a bit. 

and that is a great photo. 

Ahh I love it that's amazing! It hasn't been working at all though. It's like I've been so all consumed with drawing whenever I've had spoons that there's been nothing left for moving. This week was another week of non-movement and it's terrible. Not quite sure what to do. I guess I'll have to force myself to do something because this is not a good path to walk down. 😕

• Like 2

Sigh I wish I could always have a four day weekend. It's been so nice and chill. On Thursday two friends and I drove to a proper forest for a stroll and a BBQ. 😍It was good for the soul. 

The rest of the weekend I napped, read, spent time in the sun, and made pictures.

Speaking of which, I've drawn so many heads the past week I no longer see people's faces, I only see collections of shapes and planes. On Wednesday a new guy at work started and during the video meeting all I could think about was what a lovely bald round head and strong nose he has, great for drawing. 😆Today I took a break from the heads and learned about different ways of coloring drawings. It might not be what I need to practice the most at this stage, but I feel better for having added tools to my toolbox.

Spoiler

I haven't drawn any of these, only colored!

IMG_0171.thumb.JPG.d4774f9a7365230a5e8ad58e9ea68a83.JPG

Super quick grayscale to color conversion. 

IMG_0172.thumb.JPG.977579eef6f24db021b3130dd1c44e07.JPG

Exceptionally sloppy quarter done cel shading. I don't enjoy working with the tools this way so I didn't bother (digitally that is, had I had real markers it would be fun!). I only did enough to get an idea for how the technique works.

IMG_0170.thumb.JPG.41b38a6fd1e98c0eaa10df0c8449077d.JPG

Not perfect, but mostly finished rendering. This was the most useful technique of the bunch. And of course the most time consuming. 😛

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

I like the colour/shading on that magic green creature. What techniques are these, and where are you learning about them?

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

But I think/hope I've gotten past the 20 year phase where I immediately quit because I couldn't handle being in the gap. Now I feel pretty comfortable sitting here, even if impatient haha.

Yeeees. The limbo before the actual levels. 

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think/hope I've gotten past the 20 year phase where I immediately quit because I couldn't handle being in the gap

This is where I am.  My brain knows that I need to actually draw to get better at drawing, but stupid brain also keeps deciding that if it's going to come out crap anyway I might as well not even try :( 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yeeees. The limbo before the actual levels. 

I'm sure there are plenty of levels in-between. They're just harder to see. :) 

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is where I am.  My brain knows that I need to actually draw to get better at drawing, but stupid brain also keeps deciding that if it's going to come out crap anyway I might as well not even try :( 

As cheesy and cliche it sounds it really is about enjoying the process. Once I started doing that and remembered why drawing is so much fun it got a lot easier. Sure the outcomes suck and will suck for quite a while but it's not like I have to put any of it on my walls.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Harriet said:

I like the colour/shading on that magic green creature. What techniques are these, and where are you learning about them?

It's Andrew Hou's Intro to digital painting course on schoolism. I cannot say I'd recommend him as a teacher, I just see the class as artist's demos. That's what happens when you're a "teacher" and utter the words "it's self-explanatory".

Here's the process, with lots of pictures. I've tried to explain it so that everyone can hopefully understand minus some technical details.

Spoiler

This is the initial sketch. It's on a Multiply layer so that only the lines shows through on the colored background, without any white.

IMG_0183.thumb.JPG.6f7c6be6c7f8f8cca0f48b5fd22f5b55.JPG

Start by blocking out the green on a Normal layer underneath the sketch layer. 

1534794341_ScreenShot2020-05-24at17_31.02copy.thumb.png.efbd80c1e609156be56ce6be6b3d078f.png

Then add shadows on a separate Multiply layer. This allows you to more easily change the light later.

1793866195_ScreenShot2020-05-24at17_32.22copy.thumb.png.adef598d7d0bf5ab3d9e05aaba43a73c.png

Block out the rest of the colors. You can use the lasso tool and fill (scarf), or a brush (everything else). The advantage of using the lasso tool is that it's quick and you can play around with different colors more easily afterwards. The disadvantage is that you get a lot of hard edges you have to get rid of and you lose some natural color variability that help in making the painting look more organic.

IMG_0173.thumb.JPG.899a5ed0f27da7f891f0b6a1d2258681.JPG

Without any other layers.

IMG_0174.thumb.JPG.8566cee28110c50c44b56e71d90e6e67.JPG

With the shadow and line layer.

Add a new Overlay layer on top, and use a soft brush to paint in some light colors and some shadow colors. This is partly to light the picture, but mostly it's to put down some new colors on the screen to make the colors less flat and to have more colors to work with in the next step.

IMG_0177.thumb.JPG.10ab7b2c56414d6bc7e5cdad745fb0e1.JPG

All layers so far.

IMG_0178.thumb.JPG.3bd664b7936bac2efb26e6fca58f8817.JPG

Just the overlay layer.

The next step is to add a new Normal layer for highlights, texture and details that might have been lost in the coloring process. 

IMG_0180.thumb.JPG.b3841f1099f5d6784be7a2573c25e345.JPG

Then another Overlay layer, this one is for adding more light to the image. You can see the effects of the soft brush with a light color on e.g. the top of the head and the front knee.

IMG_0181.thumb.JPG.dd02f559a9f0d8190d297f7b4cb784ad.JPG

Then another Normal layer. To add depth to the picture I've used a soft brush with the same color as the background to cover up the back hand and the far part of the scarf. I also cleaned up the edges a little bit to make them less sharp. For cleaning up the edges the artist just goes round the contour with a brush of the same color as the edge, but I think it might be easier to use a semi-opaque eraser instead. And a cast shadow to make the character less floaty in space.

IMG_0182.thumb.JPG.1ef360b5abad55d6e8c81f8c5987f0eb.JPG

And finally some glowy things and rim lights. For the glow effect you'd have to google how it's done in your software, there's many ways of doing it.

Andrew_Hou_Intro_to_digital_painting_-_Painting_and_color_mixing.thumb.jpg.8d2beb2e7ddd70d80ee3c1fa42929415.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's what happens when you're a "teacher" and utter the words "it's self-explanatory".

HAHA oh I had a MATHS  teacher that tried to say that.

Anyone that didn't get stuff with his explenation (he always explained things only one way) was not worthy of proceeding with a sciencey profile, and he actually said so. Well alright then. I think it's self-explenatory you are not a pedagoge of any kind.

Oh my I loved seeing the progress photos along with the layering being shown seperately!! Looks cool too.

It's Andrew Hou's Intro to digital painting course on schoolism. I cannot say I'd recommend him as a teacher, I just see the class as artist's demos. That's what happens when you're a "teacher" and utter the words "it's self-explanatory".

Here's the process, with lots of pictures. I've tried to explain it so that everyone can hopefully understand minus some technical details.

Reveal hidden contents

This is the initial sketch. It's on a Multiply layer so that only the lines shows through on the colored background, without any white.

IMG_0183.thumb.JPG.6f7c6be6c7f8f8cca0f48b5fd22f5b55.JPG

Start by blocking out the green on a Normal layer underneath the sketch layer. 

1534794341_ScreenShot2020-05-24at17_31.02copy.thumb.png.efbd80c1e609156be56ce6be6b3d078f.png

Then add shadows on a separate Multiply layer. This allows you to more easily change the light later.

1793866195_ScreenShot2020-05-24at17_32.22copy.thumb.png.adef598d7d0bf5ab3d9e05aaba43a73c.png

Block out the rest of the colors. You can use the lasso tool and fill (scarf), or a brush (everything else). The advantage of using the lasso tool is that it's quick and you can play around with different colors more easily afterwards. The disadvantage is that you get a lot of hard edges you have to get rid of and you lose some natural color variability that help in making the painting look more organic.

IMG_0173.thumb.JPG.899a5ed0f27da7f891f0b6a1d2258681.JPG

Without any other layers.

IMG_0174.thumb.JPG.8566cee28110c50c44b56e71d90e6e67.JPG

With the shadow and line layer.

Add a new Overlay layer on top, and use a soft brush to paint in some light colors and some shadow colors. This is partly to light the picture, but mostly it's to put down some new colors on the screen to make the colors less flat and to have more colors to work with in the next step.

IMG_0177.thumb.JPG.10ab7b2c56414d6bc7e5cdad745fb0e1.JPG

All layers so far.

IMG_0178.thumb.JPG.3bd664b7936bac2efb26e6fca58f8817.JPG

Just the overlay layer.

The next step is to add a new Normal layer for highlights, texture and details that might have been lost in the coloring process. 

IMG_0180.thumb.JPG.b3841f1099f5d6784be7a2573c25e345.JPG

Then another Overlay layer, this one is for adding more light to the image. You can see the effects of the soft brush with a light color on e.g. the top of the head and the front knee.

IMG_0181.thumb.JPG.dd02f559a9f0d8190d297f7b4cb784ad.JPG

Then another Normal layer. To add depth to the picture I've used a soft brush with the same color as the background to cover up the back hand and the far part of the scarf. I also cleaned up the edges a little bit to make them less sharp. For cleaning up the edges the artist just goes round the contour with a brush of the same color as the edge, but I think it might be easier to use a semi-opaque eraser instead. And a cast shadow to make the character less floaty in space.

IMG_0182.thumb.JPG.1ef360b5abad55d6e8c81f8c5987f0eb.JPG

And finally some glowy things and rim lights. For the glow effect you'd have to google how it's done in your software, there's many ways of doing it.

Andrew_Hou_Intro_to_digital_painting_-_Painting_and_color_mixing.thumb.jpg.8d2beb2e7ddd70d80ee3c1fa42929415.jpg

Wow, thank you! The overlay is new to me, and looks like it could be super nice. What brush did you use? It looks soft-edged but doesn't leave any marks. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

That's what happens when you're a "teacher" and utter the words "it's self-explanatory".

Everybody has had a math teacher that has said that in some form 😜 

• Haha 1

Anyone that didn't get stuff with his explenation (he always explained things only one way) was not worthy of proceeding with a sciencey profile, and he actually said so. Well alright then. I think it's self-explenatory you are not a pedagoge of any kind.

Oh my I loved seeing the progress photos along with the layering being shown seperately!! Looks cool too.

Doesn't surprise me at all. There's so, so many people put off by maths and I'm blaming bad teaching over anything else. Maths get abstract really, really quickly past addition of positive integers and it takes teaching skills to be able to explain these abstract concepts even for people that don't automatically get it. But just because a kid doesn't automatically get it it doesn't mean that they're stupid, or can't think logically. Sometimes that will be the case, but in the vast majority of cases it's plain bad teaching, at least up to a certain point. 

Personally I'd never choose to become a maths teacher, because I'd 100% be one of those bad teachers that stares at the kid like "why don't you get it, the answer's right in front of your eyeballs?" 😂Unfortunately it's very few people that are so good at maths that they think it's fun to try to explain things in different ways, and who also choose the school teacher vs academic path.

Glad you enjoyed it, I thought about sending it just to Harriet to avoid spamming you, but then I thought it could be fun for others to see just how very crappy the initial stages look. 😁The more I'm learning the more it appears that the magic in a picture happens in the first 10% and the last 10%, the middle stuff is just the grind.

21 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Wow, thank you! The overlay is new to me, and looks like it could be super nice. What brush did you use? It looks soft-edged but doesn't leave any marks. 

Overlay is quite lovely when used subtly, it really does make things look just a little bit glowy. 🙂

It's just a basic round soft edged brush with opacity control. I tried to make something a bit similar to the basic Photoshop brush but Procreate doesn't work quite the same. Which is fine, in this type of painting it doesn't even really matter as there's almost no *actual* painting involved. The shadow layer has the most amount of brush work, if you can even call it that, the sketch layer contributes a tiny amount. The rest is just little specs of highlights and details and blending colors around the edges with a tiny brush, could be anything.

• Like 2

Guys these past two days have been amazing. I feel almost human again!

Yesterday I walked into town and had a looong catch up lunch with a friend. With hugs! ❤️

Today I spent the day training my new minion at work (and found that my first minion is leaving 😫) I found a lovely little nook among the rocks in the forest, and enjoyed the shit out of the first truly warm day of the year. Being able to work outside is definitely a huuuge perk of working remotely in summer.

In the evening I went climbing! With a group of friends! With more hugs! 🤯Did I mention I'm past caring? I do take minimal precautions, and I do fully disclose all my recent human contacts, but other than that I'm done. I have to say I'd never expect to have the "safe sex" talk before hugs haha but I do feel better about being completely transparent.

Anyways do you remember how a few months back I was complaining that my climbing level has plummeted to absolute noob level 0? Well it turns out, there's plenty more levels below that. It was... rough. Much pain and desperation. But it was a lot of fun and I finally feel motivated to shift my cookie eating training to my physical training again.

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

In the evening I went climbing! With a group of friends! With more hugs! 🤯Did I mention I'm past caring? I do take minimal precautions, and I do fully disclose all my recent human contacts, but other than that I'm done. I have to say I'd never expect to have the "safe sex" talk before hugs haha but I do feel better about being completely transparent.

Are you sure we're still talking about "hugs"...? 😨

Kidding aside, I am glad you're feeling better. Human contact and physical contact are critical things for our well-being. I hope we never take those things for granted again.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Guys these past two days have been amazing. [...]

Now this is more like it! I LOL'ed Your posts are funny again, and that makes me happy both because I get to laugh, and because I'm really happy you're feeling better. Keep "hugging" ppl, and hopefully this better feeling can stay around for a while :) 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Are you sure we're still talking about "hugs"...? 😨

Kinda wish we weren't. 😂

4 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Now this is more like it! I LOL'ed Your posts are funny again, and that makes me happy both because I get to laugh, and because I'm really happy you're feeling better. Keep "hugging" ppl, and hopefully this better feeling can stay around for a while :) 

Aww thanks, I hope so too! I know the good feels won't last forever so I'm thoroughly enjoying them now that they're here. On the flip side, it helps knowing that nothing lasts forever, including the bad feels. 

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Guys these past two days have been amazing. I feel almost human again!

Yesterday I walked into town and had a looong catch up lunch with a friend. With hugs! ❤️

Oh! I remember those... 

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Anyways do you remember how a few months back I was complaining that my climbing level has plummeted to absolute noob level 0? Well it turns out, there's plenty more levels below that. It was... rough. Much pain and desperation. But it was a lot of fun and I finally feel motivated to shift my cookie eating training to my physical training again.

Oof. Grip DOMS? WIll you be going regularly from now on?