Jump to content

[Mad Hatter] Respawn #436-#438


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Well, I think you could not have known that she was a activist and her wording did sound a bit soft, to you. 

 

Some people - regardless of what they've been through - appreciate gestures. Indeed. Gestures can have huge impact. International relations are built on it. 

 

Others want more because some public figures like gestures for the lack of commitment they represent. But I get that you feel humbled for maybe being harsh towards her/if your initial inner reaction harsh (even if you politely worded it in the message).

 

Something about, assuming makes an a out of u and me? :D

That's one of them. 😄

 

Another one being don't be a judgmental prick when I only know a tiny part of the story. Though I will reserve that right for certain people.

 

14 hours ago, raptron said:

My CEO made a post (in support of BLM thankfully) yesterday, which I used as an opportunity to publicly ask if we have a donation matching program on the way. I only got an HR response rather than action, but I definitely made sure to ask and point out that a community service day is not the same thing as financial support. So thank YOU for the reminder/nudge to keep pressing things forward in the work place. ✌️

GET ITTT!

 

13 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Reading about the lack of reaction from these companies is a good reminder that my company is not typical. It should be though, and we all need to work towards that.

Indeed.

Link to comment

I'm positive that your social media feeds are just as overwhelmed as mine and probably don't need more here as well. But I have a request. There are a few people at work with opinions that I just cannot comprehend, and they send me into instant rage mode. While I don't have any hope of changing their opinions, I'd like to formulate a reply to this question, maybe not for them but perhaps for the other quiet ones. I can't believe I'm typing this out, but the question is in a nutshell "why should we care now, when there's shit happening everywhere?". Mind this is not born out of being overwhelmed by all the injustice in the world, nor is it born out of being tired and jaded that the world is not changing for the better. This is 100% bigotry.

 

Just to give a little more context, someone posted this map.

 

F5-tragedy-map.jpg

 

And here's the reply from Super Bigots brother (who I've until now given the benefit of doubt) For context this is after the fight with Super Bigot.

 

Quote

Exactly! 👍 Answering the question if all lives really equally matter in nowadays world.

 

While I can't deny that there's deeply uncomfortable truth to the statement, I completely fail to comprehend how it in any way justifies not caring, not having empathy, not standing up for anything or anyone. How just because this is how it's always been in many places it's a reason not to change it, or question it. To me if anything it makes me feel much worse and his reply makes me feel sick. But I can't deny that this situation hits much closer to home, for many reasons. For me however it's a wakeup call that I can take action, and learn and to listen. For them it's, meh, who cares? I feel like there's so many threads I could start tackling about why this is important but I don't know how to untangle them and make them coherent. So if any of you lovely eloquent people could help out I'd really appreciate it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The map is good... Of course it's western-centric. It would be interesting to have other views, but maybe it's just me...

Well, anyway, the map is not addressing whether all lives do equally matter or not, they do obviously, it's the ability to empathize that seems to vary wildly depending on a shade of colour...

  • Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Link to comment

Thinking a bit more about it, the map is not that good because a black man getting killed in the US has not always generated so much social media trending... And if a white person were killed somewhere, let's say  in "wait, does this country exist", you'd certainly hear about it... So really it's not the place that matters as such, is it?

  • Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

someone posted this map.

I have seen that map or something similar and there was a point in my life when I would have nodded and agreed.  

 

The biggest problem with the map is that the title is wrong.  It should say "How terrible it is for ME (and the people I interact with)* when a tragedy happens in...

 

 * could also be replaced with "and the news sources I subscribe to"

  • Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

While I can't deny that there's deeply uncomfortable truth to the statement, I completely fail to comprehend how it in any way justifies not caring, not having empathy, not standing up for anything or anyone.

 

In a very, very cynical mood, I actually console myself that it is statistically likely that a lot of the people suffering all over the world are not the best people ever (as opposed to my usual "so many innocent people are suffering")

 

Ignoring my edgy cynical side, I think the only answer is: "We should have always cared, but it's never too late to start caring. For something. Start somewhere. The world is like it is because most people think like you. They are so caught up in their little worlds that they don't think they have any energy or time for the seemingly endless tragedies in the world. That every action is a drop on a hot plate. Surprisingly, when one dedicates himself to a purpose greater than himself, everything changes."

 

Or something in that regard. I believe there's this story about how even Jesus dusts his sandles off and leaves when his words fall on a deafman's ears though? You did what you could with those people. It's for life and others to put more dents in there.

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Link to comment
1 hour ago, @mu said:

Well, anyway, the map is not addressing whether all lives do equally matter or not, they do obviously

To you and me it's obvious. To them it's not. 

 

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have seen that map or something similar and there was a point in my life when I would have nodded and agreed.  

 

The biggest problem with the map is that the title is wrong.  It should say "How terrible it is for ME (and the people I interact with)* when a tragedy happens in...

 

 * could also be replaced with "and the news sources I subscribe to"

What was it that shifted your way of thinking?

 

Either way, my question is not really about the map, even if you made good points. It's about the "why should I even care when shit happens everywhere?" reaction. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

In a very, very cynical mood, I actually console myself that it is statistically likely that a lot of the people suffering all over the world are not the best people ever (as opposed to my usual "so many innocent people are suffering")

 

Ignoring my edgy cynical side, I think the only answer is: "We should have always cared, but it's never too late to start caring. For something. Start somewhere. The world is like it is because most people think like you. They are so caught up in their little worlds that they don't think they have any energy or time for the seemingly endless tragedies in the world. That every action is a drop on a hot plate. Surprisingly, when one dedicates himself to a purpose greater than himself, everything changes."

 

Or something in that regard. I believe there's this story about how even Jesus dusts his sandles off and leaves when his words fall on a deafman's ears though? You did what you could with those people. It's for life and others to put more dents in there.

But then you can ask, why are they not the best people ever?

 

Paraphrasing: "But why should I care? I'm a cis white male and things are great. I'm not going to become a political pawn by caring"

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Paraphrasing: "But why should I care? I'm a cis white male and things are great. I'm not going to become a political pawn by caring"

 

"You are a political pawn by not caring. " but honestly then I would realise this dude just doesn't want to understand and go spend my energy better elsewhere. A old friend of mine would start giving him shit like an expert until his skull thickness gets more dents and finds a place where he can crack that thing open but I am not that fluent in "giving thick people shit" haha

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

What was it that shifted your way of thinking?

Exposure to a more diverse slice of humanity

 

12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's about the "why should I even care when shit happens everywhere?" reaction. 

I think the unfortunate reality is that people have limited capacity for compassion, and most people can only care so much about people we don't know, even if we have the desire to.  Every one will care more about some people than others and this is the basis for all of those Sophie's Choice type stories.  While each life is equally important on a theoretical level, that importance is going to have relative proportionality for each person, so people are going to care more about tragedies affecting people they know and less about people they don't.  

 

From the map it is clear who the creator of the map cares about.  The fact that they list the entirety of the Asian subcontinent and Southeast Asia show they probably now extremely little about the people that live there, and therefore by extension do not care about them. 

 

I think the point I made about news above is also very relevant.  People care about the tragedies they know about, and the news that one consumes heavily influences not only the details they have about various tragedies but their feelings about said tragedy. 

 

I think this all boils down to the difference between the questions, "How can we as a people care more about people we don't know/empathize with?" vs. "We are never going to know everyone at a sufficient level to have real empathy for them so why bother?"

 

 

  • Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

why are they not the best people ever?

 

Oh btw, I don't think you could paraphrase my cynical side's thoughts in that way haha. I don't say that because I am priveleged and I don't want to care. Because that's easier. Like mr. Super Bigot.

 

I am just consoling myself because my cynical side says: No, not all lives have equal worth.


It's the same dark side that has been telling me that my life is worth very little in the times where I am curled up and beating myself up because I feel worthless, consumed by my troubles and unable to care for conctete other people around me (some of my teen years), just global issues I have no control over. So considering that, and what I see around me, I have to conclude that it is likely that the people who have living under terrible conditions aren't 99% valuable people either. Or even not-causing harm to others.

 

Of course life carries potential for change etc.etc. (look! I and many others have crawled out of a hole and started finding ways to contribute! That wouldn't have happened if I got hit like a bus like I often thought about crossing streets in those years!)

 

 but like I said, that's my super cynical Edge Lady-ish dark side that is consoled by this thought. Fortunately she doesn't talk much nowadays.

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

While I don't have any hope of changing their opinions, I'd like to formulate a reply to this question, maybe not for them but perhaps for the other quiet ones. I can't believe I'm typing this out, but the question is in a nutshell "why should we care now, when there's shit happening everywhere?". Mind this is not born out of being overwhelmed by all the injustice in the world, nor is it born out of being tired and jaded that the world is not changing for the better. This is 100% bigotry.

 

If I had the energy, I would say this: "It sounds like you're overwhelmed by the amount of tragedy and violence in the world, and the responses that are required of you. Is there any issue that is particularly close to your heart that you feel you can make a difference with?"


--> if he answers "no," I would say "it sounds like you would prefer not to hear about injustice at all, is that right?" and take it from there. I would just keep asking non-judgemental questions to try to get to what he really thinks. Sometimes if you just let them talk, people reveal a bit more about their underlying beliefs. I mean, maybe he truly doesn't care. Or maybe he got the impression that, if he admits that things are wrong, he'll have to be wracked with guilt about his privilege or something. I know my father is like this. He used to get super defensive about feminist ideas, and I eventually realised he had been exposed to some rather misandrist strains of feminism, and was afraid that feminism meant everything would be his fault and that no one would want to consider social justice issues affecting men and boys. I let him know that's not true, and talked to him about some great male authors who write about men's gender issues. He was pleased, and now we talk about these things like we're on the same side, which we are.


--> if the answer is e.g. "yes, I really care about legalising cannibis use" my answer would be "great! that could help a lot of people, not least by reducing the number of poor people, especially black Americans, in jail for non-violent crimes. Do you ever donate, volunteer, or just start conversations with people about this issue?" He might care about something and resent that others aren't paying enough attention to it. In which case it would be good to acknowledge what's he's interested in and encourage him to feel empowered to do something. 

If I honestly thought he was a psychopath who literally didn't care about anyone but himself, though, then I wouldn't bother engaging. Why would you? I would just make gentle shushing noises whenever he tried to derail other people's conversations about things they care about.

  • Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Sometimes if you just let them talk, people reveal a bit more about their underlying beliefs.

 

I am a bit of a Debbie downer right now. Maybe I shouldn't have commented. I was just thinking how my first message could be worded less judgemental but you covered that :)

 

tried to write something more but I am not in the right head space. 

  • Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Link to comment
1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

 

I am a bit of a Debbie downer right now. Maybe I shouldn't have commented. I was just thinking how my first message could be worded less judgemental but you covered that :)

 

tried to write something more but I am not in the right head space. 

 

It's okay to be negative sometimes and I like that we can say what we need to here.

 

I did feel a bit sad at the idea that you cope by thinking most people in the world are bad. I understand the need to cope, but I don't think most people are bad, nor that people's entitlement to basic rights and justice is premised on their being especially good. I think this is what some people do when they victim blame (not that you're doing that). They can't bear the idea of so much injustice, so when they see someone hurt, they think of reasons why it's that person's fault/they deserved it. It brings their expectations of justice into line with their observations of injustice via the attribution of desserts, and makes them feel safe (since they're not bad, so they don't deserve bad things). I don't have an alternative, fool-proof coping method, though. My method is to be really depressed and anxious... so yeah. Don't take my advice :P 

  • Like 4

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

did feel a bit sad at the idea that you cope by thinking most people in the world are bad.

 

I don't cope that way though. Even when I was in that very dark place when I had those thoughts.

 

I coped by thinking about the people that ARE bad that are getting that kind of treatment. Rather than focusing on the good people that are unfairly treated.

 

Because there are good AND bad people everywhere. :) just to make that clear.

  • Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Harriet said:

They can't bear the idea of so much injustice, so when they see someone hurt, they think of reasons why it's that person's fault/they deserved it. It brings their expectations of justice into line with their observations of injustice via the attribution of desserts, and makes them feel safe (since they're not bad, so they don't deserve bad things).

 

So this is exactly the opposite of what I was doing. Most of the time I was thinking about what a worthless person I am, and how it was unfair I was born in a safe neighbourhood, good family etc. while somewhere someone that might be dying from lack of clean water might have had the innovative productive spirit to do great things.

 

Until I realised I was spitting on that person's (and other people's) struggles by wasting my privelege and intellect, and I should get my derriere in university, get my mental and physical health in line,

 

And take small steps so I can lift others up.

 

EDIT: anyway, now I feel like I am blowing rainbows out of said derriere of mine. I am going to try and get myself out of this ditch I am starting to think myself into again and get back to work!

 

I am also very grateful that we have this space where we can say things like this.

 

EDIT2: And yeah sure everyone deserves basic rights. But it doesn't mean I won't allow myself the pleasure to think about how bad(*) people aren't just getting get out of jail for free cards and 6 digit salaries haha. There are also those that mistreat those around them and then get some bad karma right back at them in this lifetime :) i do not approve of myself having these thoughts but I hope I have time to become a beacon of white light and hopefulness and forgiveness some day 😛

 

EDIT3: And back on topic, I actually do think mr. Superbigot might be just doing this as a defense mechanism, like I said, just being a debbie downer tonight :)

 

(*) Or let me rephrase this; people whose ACTIONS are bad, regardless of whether they are doing things out of malice or out of ignorance. Not that I don't have understanding & forgiveness in me, it's... just a thought thing okay?

 

I would probably much more forgiving and less vengeful IRL than I am in my hurting, sad, frustrated imagination :D Depending on... circumstances

  • Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

I coped by thinking about the people that ARE bad that are getting that kind of treatment.

 

You mean dwelling on villains getting their comeuppance? Fair enough... I'm pretty sure everyone does that

 

10 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

So this is exactly the opposite of what I was doing. Most of the time I was thinking about what a worthless person I am, and how it was unfair I was born in a safe neighbourhood, good family etc. while somewhere someone that might be dying from lack of clean water might have had the innovative productive spirit to do great things.

 

Oh no, that's no good. You're good enough as you are, and there's nothing extra you have to do to deserve safety, clean water and a nice family. I hope you get in some good writing today :) 

  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You're good enough as you are, and there's nothing extra you have to do to deserve safety, clean water and a nice family.

 

Hey, I know that know haha. Teenage angst :D

 

I don't hold others to that same standard usually. Just me. And when I get down it does help when I look back and can say "I have done this and this to add value to someone else's life in some way". So fortuantely nowadays I only use these thoughts to serve me hehe :)

 

ahhh I guess that all needed to come out. With last weekend I just kept getting these flashbacks to one discussion with my history teacher about why slavery was so superficially discussed (and e.g. Martin Luther King wasn't even mentioned) 

 

And there were no POC in my class (I think there was maybe 1 or two in our year, highest level of high school education...)

 

and everyone was just silent. The kids just wanted their grades and not too much fuss, who can blame them? Why is this girl making such a fuss about the curriculum? Does she want more to study or what? This is the Netherlands, this amazing multicultural democratic society, what is she making a fuss about? :D ahh I felt so alone.

 

(oh but we learnt about how the agricultural society was a step up from the hunters ans gatherers for 3 years in a row, cuz that's important and we didn't know that... lol) 

 

Quote

I hope you get in some good writing today :) 

 

Thanks!

 

EDIT: okaaay I need to find myself somewhere to vent because apparently I am "piggy backing" on stuff fellow NF'ers bring up to make it about myself :D Many excuses Hatter, I won't misuse your hospitality haha

  • Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Link to comment
53 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

EDIT: okaaay I need to find myself somewhere to vent because apparently I am "piggy backing" on stuff fellow NF'ers bring up to make it about myself :D Many excuses Hatter, I won't misuse your hospitality haha

No no I love it! Besides, it's not like I actually have anything to say these days haha. I'm too tired to reply right now but be assured it's very interesting to read.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, @mu said:

Thinking a bit more about it, the map is not that good because a black man getting killed in the US has not always generated so much social media trending... And if a white person were killed somewhere, let's say  in "wait, does this country exist", you'd certainly hear about it... So really it's not the place that matters as such, is it?

 

Super 100% on point. That map is... I think the term of art is "fake news"... :D

 

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I can't believe I'm typing this out, but the question is in a nutshell "why should we care now, when there's shit happening everywhere?"

 

It's a very important question, even though it's a fallacy, since everyone who does care is going to have to answer it, a lot, in the future.

 

I've been thinking about this a lot too, since much of my extended family falls into a very conservative camp; and because I'd like to follow your example in getting my employer to pony up some money to make a difference.

 

I've got a working theory right now for dealing with these people: I think we have to accept that you or I as individuals are not going to change peoples' minds. People will change their minds much more readily when it becomes intolerable for them not to do so; their whole environment has to heat up, not just one or two interactions, and show them that not just a person or two, but people won't accept their behavior.

 

My profession revolves around negotiations, usually with attorneys, people who are trained in using logical fallacies and twisting your words. A lot of talking to them is simply about changing that atmosphere in the conversation; maneuvering them into a position where they can't keep making their argument without admitting to very uncomfortable, intolerable views. Ideally, of course, you don't goad them quite enough to leave them angry at you specifically; ideally they walk away uncomfortable, wondering what other people think of the views they expressed.

 

I don't have much experience with these conversations around politics specifically, and I'm rarely negotiating in front of any sort of audience, so some of that last paragraph is speculation, how I'm thinking of approaching it without having tested it much yet.

 

But TLDR, to actually answer your question, I would immediately turn it around on them. Yes, there's shit happening everywhere. Why shouldn't you care? Do you think you have something to lose by caring, or by supporting BLM? What are you worried about being asked to do, exactly? What do you think is controversial about saying that a life matters, and that people of any given color shouldn't be murdered by police? What do you think is the difference between not caring, and allowing that murder to take place? Do you think that it's tenable to allow this to happen again? Why would you think that? What issue do you have?

 

What George Floyd's murder proved in a way that no one can ignore is that we have a system which, in its design, allows the murder of people of color in ways and numbers that white people would not be, and are not murdered. If you don't believe that system should be changed, you need to examine why you might feel that murder is acceptable.

  • Like 3

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Link to comment
15 hours ago, PaulG said:

What George Floyd's murder proved in a way that no one can ignore is that we have a system which, in its design, allows the murder of people of color in ways and numbers that white people would not be, and are not murdered.

 

Tony Timpa would disagree.

 

  • Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Hazard said:

Tony Timpa would disagree.

 

Just found some news about him. Sounds like the reforms that are being pleaded for will be good for everyone! 

 

I don't know if the man would disagree with what PaulG said though. Hope he wouldn't have. Means he would have missed a lot of racial profiling related info and how it is assumed that black POC are (armed)and dangerous and the brutal treatment they get is proportional etc.

 

If there were as many Timpas as Floyds, somehow I think the police would have been reformed a long time ago? 

 

Ah this interests me so much. Been a while but I am going to have to start reading about it again soon. (Including about what made you say what you said, of course, so all angles.)

  • Like 2

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Link to comment

You know, I don’t know that he would disagree.

 

If this were an attempt to say that George Floyd’s death is not as important, because white people are also killed by police... we could talk about how hard it’s been, until very recently, to look at actual data that proves whether that’s true. We could talk about the fact there’s no accessible national database kept by police organizations of when they use force, and on whom; and we could talk about how curious it is that when activists call for such a database to be made, suddenly many people who claimed police brutality is not racialized are silent. Since local data is more easily come by, we could talk about how I just looked up a bunch of articles on Timpa, since I was unfamiliar with the case; and how a quick Wikipedia scrape revealed several scandals in which people died from use of force by the Dallas Police Department. With the exception of Timpa himself, all of them were people of color.

 

But I’m confident you weren’t trying to do that. Timpa’s death was a tragedy, just as Floyd's was, and no sane person would try to minimize either one. Timpa’s death is also a perfect illustration of why everyone should care about George Floyd.

 

Timpa shows that when you build a system in which police can kill people of color with impunity, police can use the same system to kill white people, too. When a society is especially deadly for one race, it becomes more deadly for everyone.

 

Timpa, and the many tragedies like him, show why even white people who have been told all their lives that black peoples’ problems are not theirs should support this movement. In this situation, a rising tide lifts all boats. If they can’t bring themselves to support it for someone else’s sake, white people would be smart to support it for their own.

 

And if someone realizes that, but still thinks this is a controversy, well, maybe they need to do some thinking about why.

  • Like 6

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Timpa, and the many tragedies like him, show why even white people who have been told all their lives that black peoples’ problems are not theirs should support this movement. In this situation, a rising tide lifts all boats. If they can’t bring themselves to support it for someone else’s sake, white people would be smart to support it for their own.

 

And if someone realizes that, but still thinks this is a controversy, well, maybe they need to do some thinking about why.

 

 

Image may contain: 2 people, suit, text that says 'IF YOU CAN UNDERSTAND ONE OF THE PEOPLE IN THE STREETS PROTESTING, THEN PERHAPS YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THE THE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE THAT MAKE UP THIS TYPE OF MOVEMENT. so THAT'S WHAT SEEK TO DO: SEIZE THE HUMANITY OF THE THE HEADLINES. BECAUSE WHETHER YOU WITH PROTEST MOVEMENT OR NOT, THESE ARE REAL HUMAN BEINGS IN THE STREET IN PAIN. AND IF YOU CAN'T EMPATHIZE WITH THAT, THERE'S NOWHERE FOR OUR CONVERSATION TO GO. DAILY SHOW'

  • Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Link to comment

Why should we care now or about this particular shit? 
Because that’s how the world works, it has momentum now, so it’s the right time to address this issue. Obviously it’s always the right time, but change happens when lots of people pick one subject at the same time. 
 

4 hours ago, Hazard said:

 

Tony Timpa would disagree.

 

since this is NF I will try to avoid escalating anything, but I can’t in good consciousness avoid saying something.
I think it’s wildly inappropriate to drop this here without giving any sort of context or contribution to the discussion or making your intentions/thoughts known. 
 

1 hour ago, PaulG said:

Since local data is more easily come by, we could talk about how I just looked up a bunch of articles on Timpa, since I was unfamiliar with the case; and how a quick Wikipedia scrape revealed several scandals in which people died from use of force by the Dallas Police Department. With the exception of Timpa himself, all of them were people of color.

Speaking of local data: did you know that black women in New York are 8 times more likely to die from childbirth related complications than white women? 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines