• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DaemonCorax

DaemonCorax is in the kitchen

For week 0 I am intentionally NOT logging anything.

But, I have had a bunch of time to think about goals. Someone on here has a goal that's being referred to as a boss battle. Welp, yeah. I have two goals and a boss battle this challenge.

1. Drink water. I kept bumping into this last challenge. I'm no longer a food source for the small one, but I still need >32 oz and closer to 64 oz of water a day. (Or water and beer and other things, but not coffee. Coffee doesn't count.) At first, with COVID, my hydration fell off because I was working from home and it was cold. Enter instant matcha, stage right, cool. Now I'm in the lab a lot and masked, so drinking intermittently just isn't possible. But I'm also riding my bike a LOT more, and its warm, and honestly everything is just better when I drink more water. So the minimum is 32 oz while at work. Bonus for extra water drunk at home before work or after. I include beer here because, let's face it, its a hydrating liquid and I'm too tired to drink more than 1.5 a night anyway.

2. Eat less meat. I really like cooking, but I'm short on time. Most of my cooking is big chilis and stews that we can heat up each night and have with warm bread. Making a side salad just doesn't happen, and MFH wouldn't eat it anyway. This suits me anyway, because I am very much a fat and protein driven organism. However, the ethics of eating meat bother me. I looked into localvore and other CSA-like ways of getting meat and it's very expensive and you don't necessarily get something that's useful for the type of cooking I do. (read: It feels like I'm too lazy to make it work for me.) I try to buy the free range versions of things at the store - always the chicken. But still, environmentally and humanely speaking, we could be eating less meat. I'm going to go out of my way this challenge to cook things that are veggie heavy with a bit of meat included rather than having meat as the center piece. I'm going to try to work in beans and brown rice and other things to build complete non-meat proteins in our dinners.

3. Ride bike. Do pull-ups. Stay strong. Don't get discouraged. This is pretty simple. I aim to log my workouts and outside active things here. We're watching some big goals slip away as the COVID closure continues. The biggest of these isn't even mine: MFH and a three guys he did Half Dome with (our "wall family") were going to get a crack at El Cap in October. It doesn't look like anyone will be in mental shape for it even if they can maintain physical shape. The two of us were also hoping for a wall in Zion in April 2021, but again, who knows. I'm so hellbent on surviving this with any mental health in tact I forgot about the April wall until typing it out here ("wait, didn't I have a goal too?"). Also on deck, my mom and I were going to do a big backpacking trip in Utah in September 2020. This might actually still happen. I hope. Other options are being entertained. MFH and I have been discussing kid #2, (not this year!!) after all this, so I'm staring down the barrel of getting really strong, bigwall strong, and losing it all again no matter which angle I view this from. Sigh.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

MFH and I have been discussing kid #2, (not this year!!) after all this, so I'm staring down the barrel of getting really strong, bigwall strong, and losing it all again no matter which angle I view this from. Sigh.

Ohh man I feel you on that one.. but it really is better to go into it strong so it’ll be easier to rebuild.. again... if only dudes could get pregnant!

sorry I missed you last challenge. 

16 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

I'm going to go out of my way this challenge to cook things that are veggie heavy with a bit of meat included rather than having meat as the center piece. I'm going to try to work in beans and brown rice and other things to build complete non-meat proteins in our dinners.

I could give you some recipes if your interested.A lot of my recipes were originally supposed to be meat-centric and even before going vegetarian I would alter them to use meat as more of a garnish than the center piece

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 7:15 AM, Maigs said:

I could give you some recipes if your interested.

I'm always down for recipes! For next week I'm leaning toward something with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, brown rice, something green, a lot of parsley, maybe a little goat cheese.

This week was my mom's meat sauce and ratatouille sorta combined. 2 lbs gr beef, 1 lb gr lamb (a rare treat), 3-4 small zuchini and a yellow squash cooked with the standard tomato/salt/pepper/oregano meat sauce goodness.

Our lunches (when I have a chance to make them) are a big pot of rice divided into bowl and topped with black beans cooked with a couple hot peppers, a little chorizo, and a lot of cumin.

I realized this week that I have been calculating mileage wrong. With small one pick up or drop off, I'm adding roughly another 2.5 mi bringing my total on a commuting day to 20. So that's kinda nice. So far I've ridden 3/4 days, but I said I wasn't logging this week.

• Like 2

I like your goals.  Water is always challenging.  I've been thinking about less meat too, and I'm very interested to see what you come up with.

Happy Challenge!

I did a thing! I did a thing I've been wanting to try for weeks, and now I am very tired in the best way.

I rode to a trailhead, hiked a peak, and rode home. Total:

12.2 mi to trailhead

Trail, roughly 6 mi and 2700 ft of elevation. Spent 30 min eating lunch and chilling at the top.

At more snacks at bike rack.

12.2 mi home.

Total time, roughly 6.75-7 hours including food.

I think my goal for September is going to be the Skyline Traverse, leaving the car at one end, riding my bike to the start, and then retrieving said bike by car at the end.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7011192/boulder-skyline-traverse

A good account of there area was written up here, but a couple of the lower trail names have changed:

https://dayhikesneardenver.com/bear-peak-near-boulder/

Bear-Peak-Hike-Near-Boulder-20-View-from

Best of all, I came home to Mother's Day card, flowers and PIE. PIEEEEEEEE!

Also, I drove to work today because today is definitely a rest day.

• Like 4

So today is another rest day. My stomach was kind of a mess yesterday morning so I really wanted a home cooked dinner. This was an "interesting" decision. Between the cat having a vet appt at 4:30 and my lab equipment being very gremlin-y and needing multiple remote pokes via computer (and several phone calls with a colleague) dinner was so late that we fed the small one from leftovers way earlier.

Dinner was somewhere between a paella and a biryani and... well it was a bunch of things cooked in rice:

The rice: mostly brown rice with a cup of white and a little wild thrown in for interest.

The rest: onions, garlic, mission figs, sweet potato, and chicken thighs browned in the skillet with tumeric, coriander, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, clove, and lots of fresh parsely and lemon juice. Threw all of this into the rice once the rice had come to a boil, added several cans of chickpeas, turned it down and let it go.

Server with a chunk of goat cheese that got incorporated into the bowl. Served with (as always it seems) warm bread with butter.

This was an attempt at food for the week with less meat. I used about 1.7 or so lbs of chicken (1/2 what I usually use for the week), but the brown rice and chickpeas still brought some extra protein to the table. It was very satisfying. MFH liked it a lot, so we'll keep this in rotation.

Workout wise. Today is rest day 2. The DOMS! omg the DOMS! (delayed onset muscle soreness). Truthfully maybe could have broken this up a little by riding. I will pick up the small one by bike after dropping the truck and the house. But ow. Not entirely unexpected though.

Water drinking: I THINK I got my 32 oz at work yesterday. But as my tummy wasn't feeling great I had nothing from lunchtime until around 7pm. Oops.

Today I'm still at about 24 oz and its just after lunch.

Tomorrow I will get back to the bike commute. Somewhere in there I will workout in the basement more. I'm back on my early schedule, but the work I'm doing requires a lot of 24/7 logging in and checking for lab gremlins.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, DaemonCorax said:

I did a thing!

What an amazing trip!  I'm jealous.  :-)

Keep up the good work!

On 5/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, DaemonCorax said:

I'm always down for recipes! For next week I'm leaning toward something with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, brown rice, something green, a lot of parsley, maybe a little goat cheese.

I'll try to remember to dig into my cookbook for more, but here's a recent favorite of mine: African Peanut Soup. I'm not a fan of greens in soups so I left those out and added cauliflower and carrots to bulk it up. I've thought about adding black beans to it also, but I love black beans and will add it to nearly anything :) 

And here's one I've made for years

Spoiler

We just call it Chicken 'n Junk

1 onion diced

2 green bell peppers diced

1 red bell pepper diced

1 chicken breast diced

15oz can whole kernel corn

15oz can black beans

hot sauce - I use Valentina but only because my roommate who started making this used it and I don't know anything about hot sauces. I also couldn't tell you how much I use, I just splash it in until it looks right

Mix the ingredients in a large pan on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked

Serve on rice in a bowl or in a tortilla burrito-style. Surprisingly the cheapy grated parmesean cheese (aka sawdust) goes really well on it. For the rice I make two scoops in my rice maker, I think it comes out to about 3 cups cooked

So last week was a flail in the lab. Huge flail. I was exhausted - I was at work full-time but then logged in until 10 pm too. Thursday or Friday I was not wanting to ride, talked myself into it, but then walked outside to my neighbor chatting with MFH while walking his dog. It was nice to chat. It made me late. I drove. The universe wanted me to slow down.

The small one's birthday was yesterday. We took the day off and went for a hike. More on that later. The small one had a great time, but between a closed road and snow(!) it wasn't what we planned.

Food update:

I made filling for burritos with all sorts of spices (allspice, paprika, cumin), onion. shallot, garlic, tiny brocoli florets, dino kale, chorizo, gold potatoes, and black beans. This mixture was scrambled with eggs and cheese and assembled with a little sweet/spicy green salsa. It sounds funny, I know, but it was delicious.

• Like 2

Snow! You need to tell the weather gods it is now May. Happy birthday to the little one. Hopefully this week won't be as crazy at work

1 hour ago, DaemonCorax said:

It sounds funny

I think it sounds amazing!  Good work!

I hope your lab work is going well!

holy cat- snow!

wow and about 2 weeks ago I was really upset about some snow here...

it seems REALLY late for snow.

but I guess, in the mountains....

anyways, I DO know that I've hiked the rocky mountain front (just out of boulder) in early June of last year and there wasn't any snow

so I'm thinking its Still a little late (for snow); or you've wandered pretty far up towards/in the big range of the rockies.  love to hear bout your hiking adventures!

recently I've not been getting out. its gets me a little grumpy (honestly).

now with the birthday; what did you do for the little one? : curious

for my oldest daughter, I think we backed a chocolate cake and watched her smear chocolate frosting all over herself.  (was this her first bday?? idk, long ago memories)... at any rate baby memories can be fun and comic even.

if you can find joy despite the mess .

holy cat- snow!

So it was in the 70s out. But there was above the knee snow monorail on the trail. And. ick. Lol. We couldn't hike from the trailhead I wanted - I wanted to take the small one up to the continental divide to play with pebbles and see the view. We parked at a lower trailhead - hence the snow. We didn't get far, but we took a turn onto a trail with not people, and then detoured up to a rocky hillside in teh sun and let the small one play. Then there was creek stomping on the way back. "What the audience doesn't know won't hurt them" - he had a great time. When we got back to the house we video conferenced the grandparents and opened a couple presents. The cake was only minorly interesting initially, but when we reintroduced it last night we got more enthusiasm and some cute pictures of baby vs blue frosting. And jam. I made a yellow layer cake with strawberry jam between the layers.

Yesterday and today I rode for my commute, so 40 mi this week. (Prev week was about 65 mi including my Mothers Day adventure, the week before that was 80 mi.) We're taking off for the desert tomorrow afternoon and won't come back until Monday night. We're going to climb with a friend and camp. We thought a lot about going away during COVID, but we're going somewhere we know really really well, so we know how to avoid people if there are other climbers, we know multiple places to camp, and, frankly, the trailheads etc around here are crowded. My work has suggested my whole project take the same vacation to give some other parties a chance to catch up, so desert it is. Now about that water drinking....

• Like 1

I am so glad we went to the desert. It was definitely outside the "recreate within 10 mi of your house" idea. But it was a familiar place, we went with only one friends, and since we knew the area we knew how to avoid people.

We left town Thursday after the small one's 12-mo checkup (and shots, poor thing). Friday and half of Saturday were spent at some crags we'd been to a million times. Then we hoped down the canyon a bit to an area near Gateway. Again, very dispersed camping, unknown crags, few people. On Sunday, we bumped into one other party of three who our friend actually knew, and that was it. Monday we bouldered a bit on the way back out of the canyon before driving home (and getting stuck in traffic in Glenwood Springs because of contruction, sigh.)

There were a few logistical messes: being off the grid for four days with a tent meant our SUV was VERY full and repacking to move camp required a precise order of operations. This was a bit messy to accomplish while chasing a baby around the desert, but we're getting better at it. We actually had a little teardrop-style trailer on order for delivery in the fall that will make this so. much. easier. Here's a gallery clip from their website to "ooh and ah" over.

HikerTrailerGallery.thumb.png.441658c82ff02e7f1aec65740d2cd41b.png

Hiker Trailer

The climbing was great. I had no idea what to expect of my body. I'd say on power alone I'm down maybe 1/2 a grade (desert crack grades are a bit different), climbing a solid 5.10 but not 5.11-. But this area of Colorado also sandbags more than Indian Creek, so who knows. For face climbing in Eldo (what I would call a standard grading area) I'm around a 5.7. It varies everywhere you go in style of grading and style of climbing. That said, my technique is still shockingly just fine. I don't know what to make of it. This whole pregnancy/recovering from pregnancy story has felt like such a battle. I don't look how I used to look, but there's some muscles hanging around there somewhere. I was definitely more tired at the end of the day that I used to be, but not more than I was in say, my first two years as a climber. So. many. conflicting emotions. (I need a gif for this. Instead, here's a pretty desert photo.)

8417B693-EA80-41BF-8B27-E6FBE2D26D72.thumb.jpeg.4d74aa2451d34a740cb85fd61298bd7a.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm glad you guys had a good time! That trailer looks super cool.  As far as going further then 10 miles, I hear you. We are supposed to stay at home, and only go to local parks or hikes. But of course, that is where everyone else goes. It makes more sense (plus sounded more fun to us) to actually go out a  ways and go hiking

• Like 1

Ok. So, where was I. Oh yes, reading this on a Monday.

https://justinsimoni.com/2012/06/01/threading_the_eye_of_the_needle_rollins_pass_trail_ridge_road/

Please please read. It's funny, stupid, and wonderful. Justin is a local who I've met once and is one of the few people I know who truly has more athletic screws loose than MFH and I do.

Anyway. So? How's the challenge going you say? Well, I'm bad at drinking water. Long endurance things and days climbing are rejiggering my metabolism for the better, but that's taking some getting used to. We're eating less meat. I'm stronger crack climbing than I thought. And, oh yeah, yesterday I ran.

Some backstory here. I don't run. I was a cross country runner in 9th and 10th grade. I ran here and there after that. But I don't run. Except when I'm hiking to fast. And want to run. I've played with the idea of "getting into trail running" (whatever that means) for a couple years. It's attractive to me: go somewhere, have fun at top speed, using little gear, for free, free of other people's plans, away from car traffic. So to follow up my Mother's Day adventure, yesterday I rode to the Gregory Canyon trailhead, hiked/trotted up to Green Mountain, and had a riotous amount of fun coming back down. I wore an OLD pair of minimalist trail runners and NEW SOCKS. No heel blisters, minor hot spots on my big toes, and a stiff right knee. All in all a success, although I think I walked the last third of the descent. Something about a backpack that just won't tighten down enough.

The route:

1. Bike to Gregory Canyon trailhead. Observe all the entitled people parking on the side of the road where there is no space. Observe the Civic that has fallen off the road becuase, again, no space.

2. Gregory Canyon->Ranger Trail-> Green Mtn summit. Drink water. 1 h 25 minutes or so, 2.5 mi,

3. Run, yes actually run, down EM Greenman trail switchbacks

4. Rejoin Ranger Trail

5. Hit Gregory Canyon trail, ponder slightly stiff knee, slow down. Descent time roughly 1 h, 3 mi.

6. Eat.

7. Ride home.

Elevation change on foot: roughly 2300 ft. Elevation climbed total: 3100 ft. Mileage: roughly 26.

I got home, chugged a pint of chocolate milk mixed with a little chai, and wondered why I wasn't hungrier.

k4QCvUi.jpg

Someone else's picture

• Like 1

Gear list for yesterday for those interested:

On the bike:

1. Swift Industries Bandito 3L saddle bag with tools, Ritz crackers, summer sausage, wallet, etc.

2. Large water bottle

On me:

1. Black Diamond 24 L pack that I love for everything except, apparently, running. Seriously, this thing is bomber.

2. Light hoodie

3. Spare socks

4. Knife, headlamp, bandana, neck gaiter (for face covering), spare cloth facemask

5. 2 L water in Platypus bladder

6. Spare dry bag for leaving bike shoes at bike

7. New Balance Minimus trail runners

8. Ball cap

9. Bike lock

10. Small thing of sunscreen that I should have used before heading down.

I wore shorts and a t-shirt and some fancy new Rei socks that I'll rate at a solid B+.

I left my helmet and clippy shoes at the trailhead threaded through the bike lock. I shoved the little saddle bag in my backpack with the snacks already loaded. Last time I needed to eat at the summit. This time I was faster and the trail was easier, so I COULD have left them down below. Oops.

I also rode in liner shorts under my regular shorts, and swapped those out prior to starting my hike. I then didn't put them back on for the ride home - this was a questionable decision that I will not repeat next time.

Last night: Soup with Italian sausage, gold potatoes, white beans, and kale. Somehow managed to be summery enough for the weather.

Today I literally have meetings ALL DAY, so I'm WFH. This means between meetings I should scoot down to the basement a few times for pull-ups.

As for the rest of the world's events:

black-lives-matter

• Like 1