• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tobbe kills zombies

Monday

Had a nice long 50 minute walk today 🚶‍♂️ Stopped halfway and took a swim 🏊‍♂️. Would have filmed it, but there were other people there as well, and I felt weird enough going for a swim in the first place. So I didn't want to add to that by setting up a camera 😛 So I just dove in, swam for a bit, and then got up and walked away. 

Did one Flexbox Zombies chapter this morning, and another one just now 🏹 They took about 10 minutes to complete earlier, now they're a bit more difficult, but still take less than 20 minutes to complete. The last one I did took me exactly 15 minutes. I have three more chapters to go, so definitely going to finish the entire thing this week.

I did also work on framing the wall in our dining room, so that I can later finish the flooring. But I didn't get very far 😞

This week I want to try to sleep outdoors again. Wanted to do it last week, but the one night it didn't rain I stayed up too late, and just had to quickly get to bed when I did decide to go sleep. I just looked at the forecast, and the best bet this week seems to be Wednesday. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tobbe kills zombies         I liked my list of things to do from my last challenge, so I'm going to reuse a lot of it. But also throwing in some new fun things 🙂 Be

10 SEK earned, and the 50 SEK penalty is avoided for this week    It looks so nice on the photo, but I can promise you it was freezing cold! 🥶 As soon as I got out of the water I quickly war

I wanted to share a little story yesterday, but I was too tired to write it out. So I'll do it now instead.   When I was deep in my eating disorder I bought a jump box for working out at hom

Posted Images

Tuesday

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't like it when everything I want to do is bunched up at the end of the day.

I took a 30 minute walk with my daughter and my wife, got home and did my workout (🐴 and 🤸‍♂️ and Daily Dare). Went straight to my computer to finish a chapter of 🏹. Right after I post this I'm going to go measure out another stud for my wall. I also need to eat something after my workout, and my wife wanted me to light the wood furnace to get some hot water so she could take a shower. And ideally I should be in bed in 10 - 20 minutes. Not going to happen 🙁 *le sigh*'

• Like 1

I had more I wanted to write yesterday, but was tired, and wanted to go sleep.

I did a food science experiment that started a couple of days ago. Someone posted a recipe for fermented lentil pancakes in one of my facebook groups. I've been wanting to try it for a while, but there is a bit of prep involved, so I never got around to it. Until now. Someone in the comments to the post said it was like Indian dosa. So I thought that's what I was making, but reading up on it, I can see that it's very similar, but not exactly the same thing. I soaked 3 parts red lentils together with one part brown rice, a bit of salt and fenugreek. After soaking for 24 hours in my fridge I blended it all together and put it out on the countertop to ferment. After a bit over 24 hours I made the thing in the photo below. It's like a thick crepe. Or a very big pancake. Topped with spinach, mango, apple, lime and hot sauce.

20200518_123947.jpg.eb71325d10ac176ed0e550edcbd7db54.jpg

I used half of the batter for my first pancake. I left the rest of the batter sit another 24 hours. Those last 24 hours made a huge difference. Lots of fermentation bubbles in the batter, that had risen to almost twice the size. And it really smelled fermented as well. 

20200519_181256.jpg.f0783f7a42143cb2316f82dcc36b7c84.jpg

Added pickled red onions, which was great. But TBH I liked the taste of the actual pancake better the first day, when it wasn't quite as fermented. My wife, who ate a totally different dish at the same time, said she could hardly taste what she was eating because of the overpowering smell of my sour pancake 😛 

I had put in a reservation for a book at the library, today it arrived, and my wife picked it up on her way home from work

20200519_192536.jpg.4ae7e56ae19ca87c7a8d4ddde8d5e876.jpg

It's an entire book all about fermented foods. Both theory and background information, and recipes. So the above pancake experiment will not be the last fermentation experiment I do 😃

Ohh, and that workout I did, I did the proper half frog split stretch this time. And it was weird. It's like it's supposed to "just" be a stretching thing. But it was tough work! I got sweaty from it. I liked that. Looking forward to doing it again. Added wall slides to my workout, and that's another exercise that looks really easy, but is actually a lot of work. Finished the session by trying to kick up into a handstand against the wall, but I never made it to the wall with my feet, I found my balance before that. Not for long, maybe 7-8 seconds. But still. I kicked up into a freestanding handstand without using the wall for initial support! 

Wednesday

Woke up early. Like 5 am early. I had been sleeping outdoors , and by 5 it was full daylight outside.

20200519_231456.jpg.83c5ce92a72d71edf6d16d553cf121e2.jpg

It had rained during the day before, so the ground was still very wet when I went to bed, but I found some dry branches to help elevate the sleeping mat a bit, keeping me dry. They had recently cut down a bunch of trees, so the ground was full of branches. It also made the place smell heavenly. I love the smell of freshly cut trees!

Waking up so early I went for a 35 minute walk in the fresh morning air. It was lovely 🚶‍♂️

20200520_045747.jpg.24472987ca03f8a25861155242d545b6.jpg

Morning sun rising between the trees

During the day I did a chapter of Flexbox Zombies 🏹 and later in the evening I did another one 🏹 and with that I finished the game. The last chapter, with the boss fight, was actually much easier than the chapters leading up to it. so I easily completed the game 😁

image.png.bbcbf30f67a2754eeb978f34cfe8ad39.png

Also spent a good two hours framing (a lot of time was spent redoing earlier work, because I noticed that it was crocked :()

Right before sitting down to write this summary I went on a 6 minute walk to an extra multiple of 20 in the daily total 😉 🚶‍♂️

• Like 2

Thursday

Christian holiday, so everyone is off from work. So I spent all day just doing fun things on the computer. The plan was to work on my side hustle stuff. And I kind of did. But to be honest it was too much underpants collecting and way too little actual work. Or, analysis paralysis, if you will. Googling/reading/researching for ever and ever trying to chose what tech to use going forward. Finally did make a decision. But it took way too long. One problem is that I like reading up on things way too much. Which I guess is good in the sense that I know a lot of things about a lot of things, but it's not as good when you just have to get shit done. After I had made my decision I did get to play around with a few new tech things though, which also was a lot of fun, and write some code. My hope is to have something to show for it by next week.

I got up from the computer to cook lunch, which was a nice break. And then right back to the computer again. At 4 pm we had a friend come over to visit, and my wife made scones for all of us. "Problem" was that I was actually hungry for dinner, so I ate quite a few scones. No regrets, it was delicious. But my stomach didn't like it. Bloated and gassy.  Got hungry again at around 9 pm, but was too lazy to do anything about it. When I went to bed at 11 I felt sorry for my body, for not treating it better. I used to go to bed hungry all the time, but haven't since I decided to actually honor my body's signals. So not only didn't I give my body the energy refill it was asking for, I also didn't give it the nutrients it needs (scones with butter and cheese are a bit low on the fruit and veg side of things...). I know it's not actually a problem in the grand scheme of things. But I did feel a little sad when going to bed for not treating my awesome body better than that.

Anyway....

At like 6 or 7 I realized I hadn't been outside all day, and the weather had been awesome! So I decided to take a walk 🚶‍♂️ down to the lake for a swim. The water is really warming up now. Especially the surface water is quite pleasant. I actually went in twice, just because it was so nice 🏊‍♂️

When I got home I did my workout(s). 🐴 warmup + main workout, and 🤸‍♂️ handstand workout. I'm still working through the "mini boss battles" (benchmarks) to figure out what level I should stop at and do actual workouts. One of the benchmarks yesterday was wall walks. 2 sets, 3 reps each. On the last rep of the last set my core just gave out, so I collapsed. I bet it would have been quite the sight if anyone had seen it :D  So I guess I know what I'll have to work on next time :) 

I was hoping to also get some work done on the house, but my wife suggested we watch a movie together instead, and I was easily convinced that was a much better way to spend my time 📺

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Tobbe said:

But I did feel a little sad when going to bed for not treating my awesome body better than that.

You've been giving good perspectives left and right with regards to food and approaches to one's body. Thanks :)

How is sleeping on a mat that is on branches? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I used to go to bed hungry all the time, but haven't since I decided to actually honor my body's signals. So not only didn't I give my body the energy refill it was asking for, I also didn't give it the nutrients it needs (scones with butter and cheese are a bit low on the fruit and veg side of things...). I know it's not actually a problem in the grand scheme of things. But I did feel a little sad when going to bed for not treating my awesome body better than that.

I love this mindset. I've worked hard to learn it, and it's inspiring to see others do it better than I can. :) 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

You've been giving good perspectives left and right with regards to food and approaches to one's body. Thanks :)

6 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I love this mindset. I've worked hard to learn it, and it's inspiring to see others do it better than I can. :) 

I was super worried I wouldn't get the nuances of my thoughts across properly. But from your replies it seems I did. This feeling/thought process I had was new to me, which is why I wanted to share it. But I wasn't sure how to communicate it. I mean, I've gone to bed plenty of times, not feeling too great about my choices/actions around food during the day. But the mindset this time around was *totally* different.

6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

How is sleeping on a mat that is on branches? 

It was great. Last summer, when I took a wilderness survival course, we learned how to make "mattresses" out of branches. Done properly they're super comfortable. They're difficult to do without at least one branch poking you somewhere, and they collapse after a night or two, so you need to redo them. But, now that I had a sleeping mat to put on top, and fairly soft and level ground below, it was perfectly fine :)  

Here's a shelter with a branch mattress being built during the survival course

20190702_112854.jpg.41c59d1e4d793cbb3aeb365f70385b42.jpg

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

First experiment from the fermentation book I got from the library was coconut yogurt

20200520_223007.jpg.7ea42d2bfbb8cef8dcd2f70e91685fcf.jpg

One can of coconut cream (22% fat), 1 capsule probiotics, 1 tsp sugar for the bacteria to feed on. The recipe says to let it ferment 24 to 48 hours. I tasted it after 24, but didn't think it was sour enough. So I let it sit another 9 hours which was perfect for when I had breakfast this morning. So I had some of it for breakfast, and it was good, but I decided to let it sit out in room temperature to ferment even more. I've just put it in the fridge to stop fermenting. It's now been 48 hours. Looking forward to trying it again tomorrow morning :) 

I enjoyed it with some homemade banana granola

20200522_082305.jpg.49fbceb536b59a5f2cde131fb49f4b00.jpg

• Like 1

Friday

Today has been a good day. I've been feeling productive, and I've met my goals for the day. If there's one thing that isn't optimal it's the fact that it's 2 am right now. Should've/could've gone to bed two or three hours ago... But I've gotten a 20 minute walk in today 🚶‍♂️, some work on the house, cooked an awesome meal for dinner, prepared lunch for tomorrow, did the Daily Dare workout, prepared another experiment from the fermentation book, got work done both on my regular job and my side hustle. I'm feeling positive and I'm looking forward to tomorrow 😃

• Like 1

Ok, I *was* looking forward to tomorrow, until I saw the weather forecast 😛 

image.png.20313979862384ba95443f4c91550f38.png

Rain, rain, and then some rain... I had plans to spend a few hours outdoors with the boys... Might be boardgames instead 😄

21 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I was super worried I wouldn't get the nuances of my thoughts across properly. But from your replies it seems I did. This feeling/thought process I had was new to me, which is why I wanted to share it. But I wasn't sure how to communicate it. I mean, I've gone to bed plenty of times, not feeling too great about my choices/actions around food during the day. But the mindset this time around was *totally* different.

I definitely think you did.

I make a point of reminding myself often that my body is pretty awesome. It does all these fantastic and incredible things just to keep me alive, and I have spent most of my life taking it for granted, not caring for it, and even indirectly harmed my body with poor diet choices and a lack of exercise, because I didn't care enough to appreciate it properly. And then I tell myself not to feel bad because I am treating my body with respect now, and will continue to do so. :) 

• Thanks 1

Just a quick check-in before heading off to bed

🚶‍♂️ 20 min

🐴 warmup + main exercise. Coming out of a horse stance I always feel light headed. It's weird. I wonder what causes that.

🤸‍♂️ Completed the wall walks today, without my core collapsing!

• Like 1
On 5/23/2020 at 1:22 AM, Tobbe said:

I mean, I've gone to bed plenty of times, not feeling too great about my choices/actions around food during the day. But the mindset this time around was *totally* different.

I also think you did :)

in any case, I love those surprising moments where your thought patterns show a completely different map than weeks/years ago. It feels gooooddd! 

Similar to the feeling of your body suddenly being able to do something it couldn't after a seeming plateau.  Thanks for the effort to describe it to us :)

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I also think you did :) [...] Thanks for the effort to describe it to us :)

And thank you for being here, listening :wub:

19 hours ago, analoggirl said:

in any case, I love those surprising moments where your thought patterns show a completely different map than weeks/years ago. It feels gooooddd! 

Yes! Feels very good :)  But apparently I still need to be vigilant about not falling back in to old thought patterns. Had a stressfull event this morning, and with my pulse racing I caught myself thinking about food in non healthy ways. Had to stop, ground through my feet, take a few deep, slow, breaths and observe and name my feelings before it spiraled out of control. 20 minutes or so later I was fine again, and the stressful situation wasn't as stressful anymore. But the whole situation caught me by surprise, and at first I didn't even see the connection between the stress and the thoughts. I noticed the thoughts but didn't understand why I had them all of a sudden. But then I felt that I was all worked up and stressed out, and it all made sense.

• Like 1

Sunday

I had my coconut yogurt for breakfast again this morning. As I said, I left it out to ferment a full 48 hours, and it did turn a bit more tangy. I think the taste is pretty much perfect now. Love it. But I can't eat much more than a few spoons of it. I'm not 100 % sure why, but I suspect it might be the high fat content that makes me feel a bit queasy. (It's 22 % fat, which is like 7 times more than in the sour milk I'm used to having with my granola...) So yeah, while it's tasty it's not something I think I'll make again. 

20200522_082305.jpg.cd49def1d526c9bef922b6b3d2268fca.jpg

After breakfast I took my son to soccer practice, and while he was doing that I went for a walk while carrying my daughter in her baby carrier on my chest. Walked for about an hour 🚶‍♂️

This afternoon I went swimming in the ocean for the first time this season 

20200524_213033.gif.b10404aae1ef5d5b2311a31214be1ba1.gif

💰 Summary Week Two

🏹 5 x 10 = 50 SEK

🤸‍♂️ 3 x 5 = 15 SEK

🐴 3 x 1 + 3 x 10 = 33 SEK

📝 6 x 1 = 6 SEK

🔨 0

3 x swim + 1 x sleep = 40 SEK
🚶‍♂️ 50 min + 30 min + 35 min + 25 min + 20 min + 20 min + 60 min = 50 SEK

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

But apparently I still need to be vigilant about not falling back in to old thought patterns.

Hmm, I don't feel like this warrants a 'but' :)  you caught them, and had some tools in your tool box for dealing with what happened. Woohoo! I don't know if there's such a saying in English but where my parents are from, people say "habits are a second nature", and that is really aimed at those engrained habits that are really, really tough to get rid of. Because e.g. they served you once in your life. 

Ohhh, I totally get you on the fat content though. ~20% fat in yoghurt makes my stomach upset. Glad the flavour is good! I like my yoghurt plenty sour as well.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about trying to sleep overnight in my hammock outside sometime soon. Hearing you slept outside on the group in a sleeping bag makes we want to do it even more now! I am a bit worried about skunks but I should be okay if I am in my hammock. 

I like that you are so mindful of your body (even if these thoughts are new to you). You live a very active lifestyle! 

On 5/24/2020 at 10:23 PM, analoggirl said:

Ohhh, I totally get you on the fat content though. ~20% fat in yoghurt makes my stomach upset. Glad the flavour is good! I like my yoghurt plenty sour as well.

I mixed my coconut yogurt with regular zero fat greek yogurt today. Win! That's how I'm going to eat the rest of it. 1 part coconut yogurt, 3 parts greek yogurt, berries and granola 😋

3 hours ago, Rookie said:

I have been thinking about trying to sleep overnight in my hammock outside sometime soon. Hearing you slept outside on the group in a sleeping bag makes we want to do it even more now! I am a bit worried about skunks but I should be okay if I am in my hammock. 

Do it! 😊

Last time i slept outside everything was quiet, but the time before that I could hear wild boar grunting as I got down in my sleeping bag. Lots of signs of them digging through the ground as well. Hearing them so close I actually did have second thoughts about sleeping outside that night. But I eventually decided that they were probably more afraid of me, than I of them. And, obviously, it was fine. I didn't see any boar that night.

I've never tried sleeping in a hammock. I'd love to try though. It seems so convenient. Lightweight, and tiny when you pack it up. And it gets you off potentially wet and bumpy ground. I am mostly a side sleeper though, and I think hammocks works best if you sleep on your back.

Let me know how it goes when you try it! (When, not if 😉)

• Like 2

Monday

No walk today. I slept in today, and that threw my whole day off. When I eventually did stop working I prioritized getting a workout in instead of a walk. So I did the whole thing; 🐴 warmup + main program, 🤸‍♂️ handstand practice, and the daily dare. After that I had a protein shake, and then I went and did some framing on the wall. I'm using 2-by-3s and they're all twisted and/or bent, which makes them a pita to work with... It's difficult to get a straight wall when the studs are crooked 🙁

• Like 1

Just got back from an awesome walk! Had a phone meeting for work, so I took the longer route to the lake. The meeting lasted like 25 minutes, and then I just had another five minutes to go before getting to the lake. Went for a swim, and then took the shorter, 15 minutes, walk home.

20200526_133807.jpg.6c9b7a2f91fe6f388f5fd2997962f996.jpg

They had even put the ladders in place, so I guess it's officially swim season now :) 

• Like 1

The weather was awesome all day today, so I went for another walk in the evening 🚶‍♂️, 35 minutes. So 80 minutes all in all today. Also got some carpentry work done. Until I had to stop because my daughter kept waking up because of all the noise 😛 Going to do today's Daily Dare (40 sitting twists), and then try to go to bed.

I want to write about a fermented bread I baked a few days ago. And the awesome sandwich I had for lunch today. But I always end up coming here too late :(  So it'll just be a quick check in, again...

🚶‍♂️ 40 min

🐴 warm up + main exercise

🤸‍♂️

I just caught up on your thread and you're doing so great!

Do you have any tips on how to kick up into a handstand? You just... went right up there. I can't seem to kick hard enough to get my legs up to the wall and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.