Tobbe kills zombies

4 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I think you've got your priorities straight. Watching your me-time meter, thinking of your family.

Thanks. And I agree. But I didn't make that part of the goals for this challenge, so it still feels like a bit of a failure not doing anything that would score me some points. 

Suggestion in case it turns out to be useful to you: Maybe plan ahead and on days where it seems like there will be no time for a dedicated workout, do little workouts where you get your heart rate up/actively engage your body with daily activities?

That's kind of what I had to resort to today, doing bodyweight snatches when brushing my teeth etc...

EDIT: do you know the sand, pebbles and rock time management analogy?

No, what is it?

Monday

Nothing done today that counts towards my goals. 

My wife and I both worked from home today, so we decided to go out together for lunch. And since we were going in to town anyway we took the opportunity to run some errands add well. And then my wife wanted to go try on some clothes, swim wear etc. And on the way home we also did some grocery shopping. All of that took quite some time, so by the time we were done it was almost time to pick up the kids from school/daycare. No use going home and then immediately having to turn around. So we just waited for like 10 minutes for the school bus to arrive. All in all I missed out on four hours of work. We got home at around 5, which ment I had to work until 9... After that I had to cook and eat a very late dinner. So, that's why I didn't get any dedicated walk in today, or a proper exercise

For accountability I'm telling you all that I'm going for a walk before 9 am tomorrow

• Like 1
8 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I tried to find a good no-fuss video about it but I cannot :D

This one explains it with dramatic music (visuals start at 1:05ish):

Thanks for the video. I take that video to mean that we should try to fit the smaller, less important, things, around the bigger, more important tasks.

But I'm not sure if I understand how to practically implement that in life. How/when do I take breaks from working on important things to work on less important things?

2 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Thanks for the video. I take that video to mean that we should try to fit the smaller, less important, things, around the bigger, more important tasks.

But I'm not sure if I understand how to practically implement that in life. How/when do I take breaks from working on important things to work on less important things?

That's the question and the big problem. And the answer is different for things at work and things at home. Different for things in relationships, and difference for things about personal health and wellbeing. And everyone has to find their own answers, I think. We can look at how others have done it until we turn green, but we still need to find our own way of doing things.

A singularly unhelpful answer, I know. :) 

• Like 1

Tuesday

I did go for my walk this morning. Not sure if I actually got out of the door before 9, but I was definitely out before 9:05. A brisk walk down to the lake, and then for a swim, and a brisk walk back home again 🙂 30 minutes walking 🚶‍♂️ in total.

20200609_091705.jpg.b56998c3b4142f8737d908eb22155c17.jpg

Swam from here, to the floating docks in the background, and then back again.

And then in the afternoon I had a meeting, and decided to make it a walking meeting, so got another 25 minutes of walking 🚶‍♂️

After work today I went climbing with coworkers for an hour and a half. Went much better this week than last, so that was a lot of fun 🧗‍♂️ Next week we're planing to go bouldering outside somewhere. Looking forward to that (if the weather permits, of course).

55 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

A singularly unhelpful answer, I know. :)

Haha, yeah, no kidding :P 

But thanks for opening my eyes to the fact that different situations might call for different courses of action. 

• Like 2

I also like to think in terms of brain power req. Some tasks require more "RAM" than others.

E.g. a standard call to make an appt is relatively low brain power work. So I plan my high RAM stuff whenever I think I will be optimal, and when I feel like my laptop when it starts humming and asking for a break, I might do some low RAM stuff. 

Except your brain isn't an actual cpu so if you do a lot of low brain power stuff (that may or not end up becoming things that are more frustrating / energy draining than expected) you aren't going to be as good with the important high RAM stuff.

So when I make todo lists I try to take the time categorise things depending on urgency and brain power reqs, and my days feel even better when I ask myself "am I prioritising the things that align with the type of person I want to be and what I say my life priorities are".

I have spent some time thinking what my values are, who do I want to be etc. (Have also tried using the 10 levels wheel but that doesn't always work for me.) Oh and years ago I wrote out my level 50 as well, but I don't remember which NF article that was.

It takes some puzzling, switching from helicopter view to detailed view a lot... Still am not 100% sure if I am on the right course but at least I feel like I am keeping both hands on the steering wheel haha

(TL;DR: it might help to write down what your values are, and what a person with those values/priorities does, AND what keeps your body and mind healthy and happy. (Or even to do it again if you have already but not recently)

And then keep a log of your time for a while. Like people recommend to log your food. Just to create awareness.

Then evaluate which things move you towards those goals, and what things are the "sand" of life, the little things that tend to fill up life and get in the way.

Then if you'd like, see what time keeping methods there are and what might work for you... Time blocking? Pomodoros?)

Overall I think you are spending your time pretty well, though. There are only 24h a day :) When you realised you might be spending too much time on cooking when there are other things that "need" to be done, you redirected. And some days just... happen. and then you changed the tactic and did exercises in between other activities. 

The value of the above (and other) time management and self development methods is giving you a greater sense of grip on time, and maybe more mindfulness and a sense of walking with purpose.

I will have a look in my notes for some examples.

PS - If what I said above sounds a bit like a mish mash, it's because I just jumped on a train of thought when I started writing this post :D I figured it may lead to a useful TL;DR at least. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, analoggirl said:

The value of the above (and other) time management and self development methods is giving you a greater sense of grip on time, and maybe more mindfulness and a sense of walking with purpose.

Not to mention the value of looking closely at our life and our priorities and actually thinking about them. When I started trying to get better organised with work time management, one of the first and most powerful revelations for me was how completely random and improvisational I had been about (not) trying to manage my time. And that worked only until my job changed into one where I'm expected to be pro-active and know what to work on without being told by everyone around me all the time. Yay for autonomy, I guess.

• Like 2
On 6/10/2020 at 1:45 PM, analoggirl said:

TL;DR: it might help to write down what your values are, and what a person with those values/priorities does, AND what keeps your body and mind healthy and happy. (Or even to do it again if you have already but not recently

Reading that I get such conflicting feelings.

"Yes, do it!" "No, that's too much work, don't do it" "Yes, do it, it will make it easier to focus on the right things" "No, don't do it"

It's like I'm scared of what I might unearth. Realizing that I've been prioritizing the wrong things. Realizing that I will have to put in a lot of work to get where I want to be.

Wednesday

After work we were invited over to some friends. They had just completed their outdoor lounge area by their pool, and wanted to show it to us, plus it was the last day of school for both their and our kids, so they wanted to celebrate that as well.

20200610_164838.jpg.913ab5f962c4c2878b468184e722b176.jpg

So I got a bit of a swim in 🏊‍♂️

In the evening I was scrolling through the NF Prime Facebook group, and noticed a video about the NF 5k virtual race that's coming up. I remember hearing about it a while ago, and was excited to join in. I have never done a virtual race before. But then I kind of forgot about it again... But now I saw the video, it was posted the day before, Tuesday. Apparently the training schedule in preparation for the race started Tuesday or Wednesday this week. I asked my wife if she wanted to join in on the training and racing. And to my surprise she did want to join! That made me super happy 🙂 So we watched the video together. But it was like 10 pm already, and she didn't want to go out for the first run. We did do the warmup shown in the video together though. We also decided we would go on the first run together on Thursday, and then do the remaining two for the week on Saturday and Sunday. I had some energy to spare though, and hadn't been out on a walk all day, so I went out and followed the schedule for the first run, which was 1 min jog + 2 min walk * 7. So 21 minutes, plus some warmup plus cooldown. All in all it took 30 minutes 🚶‍♂️

• Like 1

Thursday

Went for the 5k training walk/jog with my wife. 27 minutes 🚶‍♂️

Remember this?

20200416_192003.jpg.cc83f21fca04e535609e784c0ceab412.jpg

As soon as I opened that box, I knew I wanted to make Fritos pie with the tortilla strips.

20200611_191511.jpg.c4fba86f6cf03e53a44a9992d46d5046.jpg

I know it should technically be made in the bag itself. Preferably in smaller, one serving sized, bags. But I didn't have that. And no matter, this turned out great! Everyone loved it! So good!

I followed this recipe https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a28914527/frito-pie-recipe/

In my spare time over the last few days (weeks?) I've been playing around with a new open source project, Redwood JS and I've also been contributing some code to the project.

Two days ago they released a new version, and in the release notes I saw this 😊

image.png.c10046ce79e9f7598ac23ea020a0acc7.png

I've also gotten a special invitation to a video meeting with members of the core team. The meeting is tomorrow evening (Friday) and I'm getting nervous. I have no idea what to expect, I feel I'm in a bit over my head. And I'm way more comfortable communicating by writing than by speaking, especially in English 😱 But I'm also proud of my contributions, and I feel honored to be asked to join the meeting. Fingers crossed I make a good impression!

5 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

I've also gotten a special invitation to a video meeting with members of the core team. The meeting is tomorrow evening (Friday) and I'm getting nervous. I have no idea what to expect, I feel I'm in a bit over my head. And I'm way more comfortable communicating by writing than by speaking, especially in English 😱 But I'm also proud of my contributions, and I feel honored to be asked to join the meeting. Fingers crossed I make a good impression!

Of course you will make a good impression. Relax, and above all don't worry about speaking "perfect" English. No one does that (including native speakers), and if you get the grammar a little wrong here and there, they will still understand you.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

if you get the grammar a little wrong here and there, they will still understand you.

Hah, I'm pretty sure my grammar is better than a lot of native English speakers. I joined a Facebook group a while ago that apparently has a lot of Brits - omg their language is horrible! I've always gotten the impression that Americans are being made fun of because they butcher the English language, but from what I've actually seen with my own eyes the Brits are way worse than the Americans.

No, what I'm more worried about is my horrible thick accent. Even Google doesn't pick up my "Hey Google" commands half of the time :( And my crappy 4g internet connection isn't helping, forcing the video to look like it's like 8 pixels, and the sound on par with a 32 bit mp3 file :D 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:53 PM, Tobbe said:

joined a Facebook group a while ago that apparently has a lot of Brits - omg their language is horrible!

Not to make you nervous but I also have the impression that in most countries non-natives are exponentially better in writing than the natives. Especially the current digital generation that uses jargon and abbreviations while chatting with friends.

It's different to compete with natives that have grown up with parents (from the less digital age) speaking the language to them, and making the language mistakes all natives make and therefore don't notice and aren't thrown off by :) in writing you see it before you, speaking happens ad hoc. Different skill/brain part. But yeah accents are trickier. 

doesn't matter though. Your reputation precedes you so I doubt they will care 💪 Try to talk a bit out loud in English / repeat some american national radio speaker so you don't go from speaking Swedish with your family to English in the video call and you'll be good to go! Good luck and enjoy the appreciation!

14 hours ago, Tobbe said:

It's like I'm scared of what I might unearth. Realizing that I've been prioritizing the wrong things. Realizing that I will have to put in a lot of work to get where I want to be.

I understand. That's okay. It is very human to be more afraid of realising you are on the wrong path than to keep on going. It doesn't make you less of a (good) person either! (*)

There is the other version (me) that I am so afraid I will end up in a mid-life identity crisis or something that I am constantly touching the steering wheel, checking the mirrors and paying attention the the pedals instead of focusing on the road and taking action. :D might end up becoming a self-fullfilling prophecy if I would have kept that up.

I am actually trying to be more in the moment. So many humans before us have simply gotten up, done the things that need to be done and were probably not less happy than those of us who are trying to find the ultimate way to "pursue happiness" and fulfillment :')

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

(*) (I am filling in here, maybe I am paraphrasing it into a straw man haha. Sorry if that's the case.)

12 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

There is the other version (me) that I am so afraid I will end up in a mid-life identity crisis or something that I am constantly touching the steering wheel, checking the mirrors and paying attention the the pedals instead of focusing on the road and taking action. :D might end up becoming a self-fullfilling prophecy if I would have kept that up.

Is a midlife crisis really that bad though? I say this as someone right in the middle of one hahaha. 😂😂But in all seriousness, isn't it just a call to change and reprioritize? It feels like if you don't go through that once in a while maybe you're toooo focused? As in, you might end up being really good at making tiny course corrections but perhaps miss out on big life impacting changes?

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Is a midlife crisis really that bad though? I say this as someone right in the middle of one hahaha. 😂😂But in all seriousness, isn't it just a call to change and reprioritize? It feels like if you don't go through that once in a while maybe you're toooo focused? As in, you might end up being really good at making tiny course corrections but perhaps miss out on big life impacting changes?

That's what I was saying or trying to :D

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Is a midlife crisis really that bad though? I say this as someone right in the middle of one hahaha.

Are you getting a tattoo and buying a convertible? If not, you ain't in one. And you're also too young 👶 😀

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, analoggirl said:

So many humans before us have simply gotten up, done the things that need to be done and were probably not less happy than those of us who are trying to find the ultimate way to "pursue happiness" and fulfillment :')

So many people go to work at 7, do some basic task, come home at 4. Read the newspaper and watch TV, and then go to bed. Rinse - repeat. 

Sometimes I wish I could be content with a life like that. But I just can't. That's just no me. I need to do more. I want to do more! And I can do more.

• Like 1

Friday

Unfortunately today hasn't been a very productive day. I solved a problem at work, and that made me feel a little too good about myself, so kind of checked out of work after that, even though I should have worked several more hours... Instead I went and baked bread, helped my son install Fortnite and played with him outside for a while too.

20200612_204604_2.jpg.bdf083fa7713ee315955e9c9a59325d4.jpg

Six slices were already eaten when I took that photo. The bread turned out great! And I love that it's such a quick and easy recipe. Ten minutes, tops, to get the dough ready, and then 50 minutes in the oven and it's done! It's a buttermilk + baking soda bread, that's why it's so quick. Everyone else in the family was jealous of my bread, but only my wife tasted it because the kids had already eaten. So I promised them they'd get freshly baked bread tomorrow. So now I have a cold rise dough in the fridge, so that I can make bread rolls for breakfast tomorrow 😋

In the evening I had my video meeting. It was great!

11 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Try to talk a bit out loud in English / repeat some american national radio speaker so you don't go from speaking Swedish with your family to English in the video call and you'll be good to go!

This was such a great suggestion! Made all the difference. Thank you analoggirl 🙂

12 geeks from all over the world got together and talked about programming. They were all super nice, and the hour that was scheduled for the meeting went by really fast. Next meeting is in two weeks, and I'm looking forward to it 👍

After the meeting I did my workout(s). The cossack squat is turning out to be a real favorite of mine. Who would have though? 🙂 As for my handstand practice, my shoulder and core strength is really holding me back. I'm way further ahead with the hand balancing (crow pose) work in the schedule compared to the strength work (hollow body rocks and wall walks). I am making slow progress on those too though, so eventually I'll get it 💪

• Like 1

Hahaha I related a bit too much to solving a tough problem and then feeling a bit too good about myself.

Glad to hear the English suggestion helped! 

Seconding the internet-is-wonderful sentiment. Sounds like you all had an awesome time.

On 6/13/2020 at 2:33 AM, Scalyfreak said:

The internet is a wonderful thing! :) 

On 6/13/2020 at 9:28 AM, analoggirl said:

Seconding the internet-is-wonderful sentiment. Sounds like you all had an awesome time.

We did have a good time. And I learned they had a Discord server, so I've been hanging out there as well. 

Problem is, now I want to spend more time doing that stuff too. Feel like I'm spreading myself thinner and thinner... 😕 

On 6/13/2020 at 9:28 AM, analoggirl said:

Glad to hear the English suggestion helped! 

💯 Will do the same thing next time as well

• Like 1

Saturday

20200613_122515.jpg.8afd7e30fbe0c9f3a0addf37514a140c.jpg

Went for a run (walk/jogg) with my wife for our #NF5k training

For lunch I ran a little food experiment that I've been wanting to try - vegan aquafaba mayo.

20200613_130520.jpg.11dd6621700aaa8647f9ef84a587ba9d.jpg

Started out a disaster 🙁 The aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans) didn't want to properly emulsify with the oil. So got a runny, grainy mess. I know how to fix a separated mayo when using eggs, but wasn't sure that would translate one-to-one with the aquafaba. So I looked for another recipe, and just did a 1/3 batch. And that worked great. After that I could slowly pour in the separated mayo and it integrated perfectly with the new successful batch. Success! But now I have a lot of mayo to eat 😆

20200613_133449.jpg.87c75056de83506d47e49901e4e46c5b.jpg

Anything but runny! The spatula stands there unsupported (or, only supported by the thick mayo). It tastes great too. Can't really taste a difference compared to an egg based mayo.

Used to mayo in a blue cheese dressing for a wedge salad. Which was another thing I've been wanting to try. We don't have wedge salads here Sweden but I read about it on an american blog, probably four years ago, and been wanting to try it ever since 🙂

20200613_135616.jpg.44e9a308666c6a04f6e4591cc4977663.jpg

• Like 1