• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Staying on a roll [Manarelle]

The last challenge was surprisingly productive, even if not necessarily in the order I'd imagined. I made a lot of masks, got caught up on editing/ writing jobs, got married, upgraded my work from home situation with a new desk, and got back into cosplay making. I'm even getting a bit better, because the bracers for Taboo only took 8 hours. Not super fancy, but I like the new style, and they're pretty dang comfy, too:

ZcAmRLr.jpg

That's a lot of things out of the way, and it's time to figure out where I want to go from here. I am switching out one of my 4 hobbies again, since it's pretty  nice outside still, and we're encouraged to stay home:

• Languages: Get back to daily practice for Fr/ Ru, look at ASL on weekends. 
  • Exercise: Push a little bit on weights M/W/F, maintain cardio Tu/Th/Su.
  • Gardening: Finish cleaning up the back yard, add a small raised bed and plant low-maintenance bushes in it. 
  • Crafting: Jeans (take 2), and the headpiece for Taboo.

Fairly self-explanatory. The first pair of jeans is somehow still stretching out width-wise, and shrinking length-wise, so I'm gonna try again, this time taking a pattern off my old jeans and raising the waist (and lengthening the hems a LOT). In deference to @Red1263, I will refrain from posting pictures and bad butt jokes. :) I will also start work on the headpiece for Taboo, which involves figuring out how to put my hair under a wig and attaching something to the front to hide the wig line. I've been waffling on cutting my hair or not for... okay, 20 years or so, but more recently, since I had to miss my spring equinox haircut and it's getting heavy. Dealing with the wig may solidify that decision.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I'm even getting a bit better, because the bracers for Taboo only took 8 hours. Not super fancy, but I like the new style, and they're pretty dang comfy, too

They look neat!

Fairly self-explanatory. The first pair of jeans is somehow still stretching out width-wise, and shrinking length-wise, so I'm gonna try again, this time taking a pattern off my old jeans and raising the waist (and lengthening the hems a LOT).

Oh no, haha. The shifting jeans!

I've been waffling on cutting my hair or not for... okay, 20 years or so, but more recently, since I had to miss my spring equinox haircut and it's getting heavy. Dealing with the wig may solidify that decision.  

The neat thing is that hair grows back! Also, it's a pandemic, everyone's doing all sorts of mad hair things. :D 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 2:39 PM, Manarelle said:

Guess I read the crowd badly. :)

You did! If we were closer, and if you were in a position to do it back, I'd be making comments about your jelly and how we cannot handle it :D

Though, I too would still follow if you'd only show pics without 🍑. :)

Also, awesome goals, hurrah for productivity in an unexpexted chronogolical order, and hurrah for cosplay progress!

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2020 at 1:57 PM, analoggirl said:

You did! If we were closer, and if you were in a position to do it back, I'd be making comments about your jelly and how we cannot handle it :D

I absolutely had to look this up, but it made me laugh. Thank you. :) 

Well, sorry to disappoint so early in the game, but I have zero pictures for week 0. Hm... that could be a trend, I suppose. I did get an old pair of jeans taken apart and ironed, but that's not really exciting to see. 

On 5/5/2020 at 8:47 PM, Manarelle said:

I will also start work on the headpiece for Taboo, which involves figuring out how to put my hair under a wig and attaching something to the front to hide the wig line. I've been waffling on cutting my hair or not for... okay, 20 years or so, but more recently, since I had to miss my spring equinox haircut and it's getting heavy. Dealing with the wig may solidify that decision. 

Yup, called it. Spent a decent amount of time french braiding my hair and using a legion of bobby pins to try flattening it enough for a wig to stay on my head, to no avail. I looked up roughly 1 billion videos - give or take a few - on how to get long, thick hair under a wig, and just no luck. I have a lot of hair. So! As @raptron said, it grows back. The gentleman has agreed to try cutting it shorter, and I will try again. Not holding out much hope, since my hat size indicates I have a big skull as well as lots of hair, but we shall see. I also ordered some Manic Panic Vampire Red because I really don't see us going back in to the office again before that fades to a semi-"natural" hair color. 

The gentleman and I also talked about the con, and decided to skip this year, at least for the "have to take a flight to" con. They rescheduled it for August, but tbh, I don't really feel like we'll be in a "safe for flying for funsies and then attending a huge gathering at places that already are known for 'con crud'" place by then. So I guess the pressure to get Taboo completed by a certain date is off. That said, I'd still like to get her done expeditiously, so I can start on Valkyrie and wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings. I sketched out some ideas for shoulder armor, and will start working with that this week; the headpiece will wait until after the gentleman cuts my hair and I can make a final decision on the wig idea. 

Goals:

• Languages: Did all but 1 day, when a friend had a panic attack during lunch and I talked her through it. 
  • Exercise: Yes, and the back is improving steadily. 
  • Gardening: No - freaking cold this weekend. 
  • Crafting: progress on both. 
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

also ordered some Manic Panic Vampire Red

Ohhhh goody!  this makes me excited! Have you done "unnatural" colors before? 

Also, enjoy. I have had two big chops and both times I felt like I could float away. So liberating. And it's very fun to french braid it actually staying in place. And indeed, being able to put on a wig when I dressed up was fun (just a goofy green wig). 

Hope you have hair dresser's scissors! Cutting thick hair with anything less sharp is going to be suboptimal and leave you with lots of chunks to fix... 

This guy might have a good tutorial. Haven't watched it entirely but I have learnt some things about hair from his YT videos and he genuinely wants everyone to have the hair of their dreams so :D Good luck in any case!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

so I can start on Valkyrie and wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings.

So many things to be excited about, by the way!

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Languages: Did all but 1 day, when a friend had a panic attack during lunch and I talked her through it. 

Except this, I'm sorry to hear your friend is going through this. Good thing you were there!

1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

Ohhhh goody!  this makes me excited! Have you done "unnatural" colors before? 

Haha, yes, mostly reds of various levels of naturalness, and purple once. I don't like bleaching my hair, though, so a lot of the other colors don't show up much. My hair takes to red like a duck to water, though, so I stick with it. 

1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

Also, enjoy. I have had two big chops and both times I felt like I could float away. So liberating. And it's very fun to french braid it actually staying in place. And indeed, being able to put on a wig when I dressed up was fun (just a goofy green wig). 

Looks like you get pictures anyway! The longest my hair has ever been (sorry for crappy quality, but the idea comes across, I think):

Before1.jpg.c62811e1a089fa263b32069d3b9ba192.jpg Before2.jpg.cc6a953b41387188699d0abf4e3ca014.jpg

Shortly thereafter I got it to my waist, then five years later I cut it to my chin (mistake). I've kept it around mid-back for a while, but the last cut included thinning the ends and frankly, I hate it. Sooo chop time again!

2 hours ago, analoggirl said:

This guy might have a good tutorial. Haven't watched it entirely but I have learnt some things about hair from his YT videos and he genuinely wants everyone to have the hair of their dreams so :D Good luck in any case!

Ironically, one of my other friends sent me that exact same video yesterday. He has very, very good points and tips in there. We shall see what happens when the gentleman goes at it. I do not have hair dressers scissors, but I have scissors that I ONLY use for the really, really nice fabric, so we'll see. 

Well, another friend just finished her draft of a book, so I'm being called to beta read. Not as involved as editing, but that's gonna take some time. I'll aim for getting that read and the shoulders at least designed this week. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Preeeettyyyy. The longest mine's been is to my waist, I want to try and see how long I can go this time.

Though come winter time getting it stuck in zippers annoys me, my head hurts from keeping up, and I could not really get it to stay in the protectice hairstyles suggested by the long hair communities. We will see :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manarelle said:

The gentleman and I also talked about the con, and decided to skip this year, at least for the "have to take a flight to" con. They rescheduled it for August, but tbh, I don't really feel like we'll be in a "safe for flying for funsies and then attending a huge gathering at places that already are known for 'con crud'" place by then.

Probably a good call.. I wonder how long it will take before we can do stuff like that again. 

I'm glad that you made the wise decision to postpone the con, despite the number of newer cases dwindling, that's no sign that it is safe to go.

Also for the record and in respect to the Gentleman, I will not make any more comments about your pictures, so that way you are free to do/post as you please.

Think of it like something like this:

image.jpeg.9b0838c6eb4d6830f4853b7650c9144f.jpeg

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Though come winter time getting it stuck in zippers annoys me, my head hurts from keeping up, and I could not really get it to stay in the protectice hairstyles suggested by the long hair communities. We will see :)

Yeah, the getting stuck in things, catching on doorknobs, and being sat on are parts I don't miss at all. I have not idea what you mean by protective hairstyles, though. Pretty much since it was long enough to do so, I've braided it out of the way and ignored it. Definitely hear you on the head pain. The gentleman took off 4" last night using the method in the video, and I feel so light and at ease now. 

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Probably a good call.. I wonder how long it will take before we can do stuff like that again. 

6 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I'm glad that you made the wise decision to postpone the con, despite the number of newer cases dwindling, that's no sign that it is safe to go.

Yeah, I've heard and seen a lot of the "we won't be able to safely do x until there's a vaccine!" I don't know how I feel about that, because China appears to be resuming mostly normal activity, but, well, transparency, and I haven't heard about cons or anything with huge gatherings. What I am seeing more reports about is the tendency for "relapse episodes" in people who've been hospitalized, and, quite frankly, strong no thank you. Also seeing second wave reports out of places that are opening up prematurely and again, strong no thank you.

7 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Also for the record and in respect to the Gentleman, I will not make any more comments about your pictures, so that way you are free to do/post as you please.

Think of it like something like this:

image.jpeg.9b0838c6eb4d6830f4853b7650c9144f.jpeg

LOL. Jealousy is not a thing with us. The gentleman is well aware (and thinks it's awesome) that I can fight my own battles if things get inappropriate - which you have not even come close to yet, so you're fine. I just didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable. Having been in several activities/ occupations where the body is a tool or a prop, not the focus of things, I sometimes forget that other people don't see things that way. I think "look at the fit, it's not right!" and not "I'm posting lots of butt shots, maybe that's weird."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

LOL. Jealousy is not a thing with us. The gentleman is well aware (and thinks it's awesome) that I can fight my own battles if things get inappropriate - which you have not even come close to yet, so you're fine. I just didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable. Having been in several activities/ occupations where the body is a tool or a prop, not the focus of things, I sometimes forget that other people don't see things that way. I think "look at the fit, it's not right!" and not "I'm posting lots of butt shots, maybe that's weird."

Just making sure that I'm not disrespecting your Gentleman, I make it a point of reference to not see people taken/in relationships in that way (although with you, it's purely joking and not serious). I'm glad that I haven't made you uncomfortable, but if I ever do make you feel uneasy, please immediately tell me and I'll stop

That being said, you're making ME feel uncomfortable with your pics

Turn On GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red1263 said:

Just making sure that I'm not disrespecting your Gentleman, I make it a point of reference to not see people taken/in relationships in that way (although with you, it's purely joking and not serious).

I feel you on this! Ever since I was young! If I am and/or another person is taken, Ken dolls. All of 'em besides the person who I am with :D Boyfriend of 1 week of a girl I dislike? Doesn't matter. Relationship going bad? Idc, get your ish together and end it otherwise it's to the Barbie Doll House with you! (And I always played with legos as a kid more than I ever did with dolls.)

(It's also a great time management strategy. You save time by avoiding drama.)

Making jokes because I want someone to know how awesome he/she is is different. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

The gentleman is well aware (and thinks it's awesome) that I can fight my own battles if things get inappropriate -

Awesome! :)

Have you watched some Russian cartoons btw? I still haven't gotten around to the new No Pogody's...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Manarelle said:

China appears to be resuming mostly normal activity

China is a unique duck and isn't really comparable.  There does not exist here the mentality that individual freedom trumps government directives so when things shut down, they really shut down, and when they are opened up to a certain limit, that's as far as it goes.  It isn't at all like in the west where you get groups of people who flaunt the stay at home orders and whatnot.  The Chinese are also very open to having all of their information accessible to the government (privacy from government isn't really a thing) so they are much better equipped to track and monitor outbreaks as they occur and clamp them down.

So yeah, China is running mostly back to normal, but I'm not sure that "normal" is something you would even want.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Just making sure that I'm not disrespecting your Gentleman, I make it a point of reference to not see people taken/in relationships in that way (although with you, it's purely joking and not serious). I'm glad that I haven't made you uncomfortable, but if I ever do make you feel uneasy, please immediately tell me and I'll stop

13 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I feel you on this! Ever since I was young! If I am and/or another person is taken, Ken dolls. All of 'em besides the person who I am with :D Boyfriend of 1 week of a girl I dislike? Doesn't matter. Relationship going bad? Idc, get your ish together and end it otherwise it's to the Barbie Doll House with you! (And I always played with legos as a kid more than I ever did with dolls.)

(It's also a great time management strategy. You save time by avoiding drama.)

Oh yeah, definitely. I vividly recall one "relationship" I got into where the dude was nice, but kept coming across as mildly uncomfortable. On our third date, he guiltily said "I have to let you know, I have a fiancee and we're looking to get married next month." F**king dude, wtf, really? WHY? Not cool. I got up and walked out - do not want to be a homewrecker in the slightest, thank you. And totally agree with @analoggirl - save time (and brain space) by avoiding drama. Trust me, I will speak up immediately and respectfully if it crosses a line. :) 

14 hours ago, Red1263 said:

That being said, you're making ME feel uncomfortable with your pics

Turn On GIFs | Tenor

Lol. If that ever gets past joking, let me know. Like I said, sometimes I don't realize it might be weird. 

13 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Have you watched some Russian cartoons btw? I still haven't gotten around to the new No Pogody's...

Still working through the old ones. It's interesting to see some of the same tropes in the old cartoons. 

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

China is a unique duck and isn't really comparable.  There does not exist here the mentality that individual freedom trumps government directives so when things shut down, they really shut down, and when they are opened up to a certain limit, that's as far as it goes.  It isn't at all like in the west where you get groups of people who flaunt the stay at home orders and whatnot.  The Chinese are also very open to having all of their information accessible to the government (privacy from government isn't really a thing) so they are much better equipped to track and monitor outbreaks as they occur and clamp them down.

So yeah, China is running mostly back to normal, but I'm not sure that "normal" is something you would even want.  

That's fair. On the privacy topic, I waffle between "it's just information that anyone could get anyway" and "yeah but making it too accessible means it's easily stolen and abused." Fine line to walk, over here. I'm curious, though, because the general outlook (that I've gotten) over here is that it'll be an ongoing but hopefully low-level spread basically forever until we get a vaccine. There's conflicting information on whether you can get it again if you've already gotten it, so the concept of herd immunity doesn't seem to be an option.... yet China is putting across the sense that it's been eradicated, and is only coming in from the outside now. I'm curious if that's pure propaganda, or close to truth just due to the intense tracking and ruthless response that you mentioned. 

In other news!

I got myself all psyched up yesterday to go to Home Depot and get gardening stuff, and I figured I'd check google real fast before I left... the live tracker said "Busier than usual!" and I said eff it. Stayed home and started work on pauldrons for the Taboo outfit. I must be getting better at this, cause it only took me 40 minutes to brainstorm, cut out a couple shapes, and put this together:

oUWkJm8.jpg

Pardon the unflattering upshot and the light being included, but I think the shape of the shoulder looks good. That's just paper, so I'll be able to tweak the curve and spacing on the final version a bit better. Spent another hour or so testing it with foam, then cutting the pieces out of Worbla. It limits arm movement a little bit, but (so far) it's not horrible and it looks freaking awesome with the vest on. 

Unfortunately, after all that, I slept like crap and had dreams that left me irritated when I woke up. Logged into work to find an ongoing "crisis" that required too many calls first thing in the morning, so I'm off to a grumpy start, but am trying to turn that around. Here's to a quiet rest of the day. 

• Like 5

On 5/5/2020 at 8:47 PM, Manarelle said:
  • Languages: Get back to daily practice for Fr/ Ru, look at ASL on weekends. 
  • Exercise: Push a little bit on weights M/W/F, maintain cardio Tu/Th/Su.
  • Gardening: Finish cleaning up the back yard, add a small raised bed and plant low-maintenance bushes in it. 
  • Crafting: Jeans (take 2), and the headpiece for Taboo.

Hooray for lots of languages, AND sewing AND cosplay! I love following your challenges! :)

• Like 1

it only took me 40 minutes to brainstorm, cut out a couple shapes, and put this together:

Wicked! :) 

China is putting across the sense that it's been eradicated, and is only coming in from the outside now. I'm curious if that's pure propaganda, or close to truth just due to the intense tracking and ruthless response that you mentioned.

Definitely not eradicated, but certainly controlled.  They have just announced the schedule for opening schools which was the last holdout from normality.  I'm pretty sure it is in large part due to the very intense control protocols the government has been enforcing.

I was talking to Ghostess about this this morning and she made a very interesting observation:  In China everybody has to obey someone - If you don't obey the government, you'll be obeying the police. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1