• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Staying on a roll [Manarelle]

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Lol. If that ever gets past joking, let me know. Like I said, sometimes I don't realize it might be weird. 

Oh trust me, I have no problems here!

Also your shoulder pads look fantastic!

• Thanks 1

Wednesday was pretty good, but yesterday was a Hell Day. Slept oddly, more weird dreams, and I logged into work to find a "crisis" ongoing that everyone assumed I could fix, despite having warned people in 2018 that this was a problem and unless we restored connectivity to these old-as-dirt units, we wouldn't be able to monitor what they're doing, much less fix it. Lo and behold, look what happened. I was able to walk the guy on site through sorting things out but suddenly the issue is a lot more urgent. The rest of the day was one of those where every little thing that can go wrong does, so I didn't try to accomplish anything once work was done. 

Cosplay has hit a minor delay, because apparently everyone and their mother suddenly needed the specific glue I use with the urgency of toilet paper, so I had to order more for delivery, which has been less reliable of late. I ordered several tubes, which should be enough to get me through the remaining items with a bit left for touch-up.

In other news, Maryland is going to phase 1 reopening, allowing churches and some businesses to reopen at 50% capacity, with social distancing measures in place. The mayor did, however, say that individual counties can make their own calls. I believe there are 4 counties with 70% of the state's infections; three of them have already said no dice, stay home. This does not significantly change my routine at all, since I just got a haircut at home and have no desire to go rub elbows with anyone for the sake of browsing stores. It is nice to know that cases have plateau'ed, however (what prompted moving to phase 1). 

• Like 3

The like is for the I told you so-factor. Sorry your day went like that though. Hope your glue arrives sooooonnn! (Partially for selfish reasons :D )

• Like 1

The weekend was better, and I did get the glue, but then I hit another snag so the shoulders did not get done but that's ok. We were going to do our usual routine of grocery shopping on Friday night, but somehow our eating schedule got off and when we were supposed to leave, we both realized we were starving... and Qdoba sounded like the best thing in the world. There was no way we could do both, and we know better than to go shopping while hungry, so we elected to have a sort of date night instead. While it was lovely (And exactly what we both wanted), it meant that Saturday was kinda off 'cause we had to go shopping then. Also got a call that the Home Depot curbside pick-up was ready that afternoon. Debated hitting up the garden center while there, but once we got there.... it wasn't quite Black Friday level crowds, but it was close, and the number of people I saw loitering around the entrance/ exit with their masks pulled down so they could smoke was chilling. Kept the windows rolled up and car fan off and noped out of there asap. I will happily wait on a minor beautification project until the hordes of "We'Re ReOpEnInG sO i CaN dO wHaT i WaNt" clear out. 

I did get the shoulder pieces cut out of worbla, shaped, and strung together, but then the gentleman and I had a disagreement on the color palette. I was thinking I would make them purple with black edging, to match the bracers and greaves, but he pointed out that they are just black on the character, since the purple is an undersuit and the black is the symbiote/ armor. He also pointed out that there's a LOT of purple on the vest, so I don't need extra purple on the shoulders to tie it all together, and I think he's right... but I'm not sure I have enough leather to cover 8 large-ish pieces of armor without some serious patchworking. I'm working from a $15 box of leather scraps, so I need to be prudent in how I use them so I don't run out at an unfortunate place. 

BSmIS3N.jpg

With that in mind, I set the shoulders aside and started work on the mask. After some hemming and hawing, I decided I really don't want to glue the thing to my face (I can't leave makeup alone for 8 hours; I highly doubt that I'd bee cool with even prosthetic glue), so I'll have to have straps, which means it has to overlap my hairline to be not completely stupid-looking. Depending on the weight, I might need an over-the-head strap, too, so it has to cover the top hairline as well as the sides. After some playing around (and attempting to not look completely like a pretty, pretty princess), I came up with this:

B7HS9ka.jpg?1

I am amused that the "portrait" setting appears to blur out the top point as part of the background, but you get the idea. I cut two layers of the pattern out of Worbla, then realized I hadn't called my parents yet or gotten food prepped, so that was the end of my cosplay fun for the weekend. The mask is also only black and the last "large" piece that needs leather, so once I cut that out, I'll be able to piece together the shoulder bits without fear of running out. Once those pieces are done, there's only the jeans, tail, and claws left, so the end is not close, but at least in sight. 

• Like 6

On 5/21/2020 at 6:41 AM, KB Girl said:

Date night > grocery shopping :D 

Did the crowds calm down a bit?

Drove past Home Depot on I think Wednesday, on my way to dropping off a package, and it was still packed. Looks like I'll be focusing on crafting this challenge. 

Overall, this week has been pretty meh. Caught up on paperwork, scanning, some work project I'd been putting off, just all the boring stuff that takes time but isn't exciting, per se. The highest point of the week before today was that we had toilet paper delivered, ooh, ahh. We usually buy from a bulk store, and we were lucky in that we'd bought a 36-pack in February, before the world went nuts. Figured things would return to normal before it became an issue, but the stores are still barren in those aisles, so I said heck with it and ordered a 48-roll pack in a brand I don't prefer, but know is ok. Exciting times. We are now stocked for a good 'nother couple months.

I spoke with my boss(es) this week about an alternative to taking a solid vacation, since the gentleman and I agree that traveling is probably off for the rest of the year. I've noticed a trend with the company that people tend to ignore their vacation days until December and then like half the company takes pretty much the whole month off. I love working when no one else is because I can focus, so rather than joining them, I offered to take one day every other week off for basically the rest of the year. My half-boss is semi-retired, not working Mondays or Fridays, so the three of us agreed that I'd also take Fridays off. Today's my first day (oh right, and it's the same as payday, woot!), so I got to wake up at my own leisure. Conveniently, Monday is Memorial Day so hello impromptu 4-day weekend!

Woke up only a little later than usual, went downstairs and spent the morning working on cosplay. Got the mask  shape tweaked, cut out, shaped to my head, and then cut out the leather for it. Naturally, this is the first day it's rained all week, so I can't glue the leather on yet. I'm waiting to make the extra horn on the front until I get the base glued together, then I'll make and attach it. 

LZNnIQf.jpg lvT7c1T.jpg 9dffriV.jpg

I look fairly unamused because with the elastic where it was, the cheek pieces were holding some weight, so if I smiled, the whole thing went wonky. I'll play with how to keep it on once the leather is on, as I suspect that'll change the weight of it. Since I can't make progress on that while it's raining, I went ahead and cut out the leather for the shoulder pieces, too.

PNcyK34.jpg

There was some piecing together on some of those, because I'm running low on leather, but I think it will all be hidden or unremarkable with the overlap once they're in position. The afternoon has been spent running Merge Dragons in the background while I catch up various websites, and I'm going to try to finish the read-through of my friend's book today. Honestly, mostly because I'm putting off working on jeans, still. :) Such a pain, I need to just bite the bullet and do it. Regardless, it's been a much-needed mental health and productive day, and definitely worth the lack of vacation. 

• Like 5

Busy weekend, and still one more day. 

Gluing and painting. Bonus points if you can tell if the mask is face up or face down.

iveQQg4.jpg

Shoulders sewn together, just need to finish arm band and attach to vest. 

EmUhT1F.jpg

And quick test to see if they sit well, including gratuitous butt shot. 

oek2Bxl.jpg

The leather goes down further on the front of the vest, so the start of the shoulder armor isn't so obvious. I'm debating whether or not I need to add something to make the shoulder armor blend better with the leather in the back; it's kind of an abrupt angle right now, compared to everything else being fairly rounded. Will decide once the shoulders attach on their own and I don't have to hold them in place.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Bonus points if you can tell if the mask is face up or face down

Face down (I had to use the shadows to tell, though)

That armor is really looking good!

• Like 1

This week took an unexpected side turn. Monday night, I had turned in at about 11:30 - a little late, but after 4 dys off, I wasn't keen on getting back to work. My phone rings a half an hour later, which is a) odd that my phone ring at all, and b) hella odd 'cause I have my phone set to DND between 10pm and 8am. Basically, unless you're a favorite contact, there will be no ring tone unless you call twice within I think 1 minute or something. But ring it did, scared me half to death, and when I answer it, it's my gentleman (whom I thought was in the basement, quietly computering) saying, "can you come down here right now???" Fffffffff.... that's not good. 

Throw on some clothes, shuffle down two flights of stairs, and find him holding his hand over, and trash bin under, a rather high-pressure leak in the expansion tank on the water heater. Grab a towel and a bucket, rubber band the towel in place, and grab pliers to shut the water off, because that valve hasn't been touched in probably a decade or so. We get it contained and cleaned up, and sorta go back to bed, though we're no longer really sleepy. On the plus side, if the gentleman hadn't been staying up late, we wouldn't have found it until the morning, and goodness knows what kind of mess and property loss that would have been. 

Landlady comes out Tuesday to replace the tank, but can't get the water heater started again. Plumber comes out Wednesday, also can't get it started (after we had an argument about him putting on a ****ing mask to get in my house, tyvm). Says the heater is 11 years old, probably due for replacement anyway, and being soaked didn't help it. Can have a heater here tomorrow, you'll have to go one more day with no hot water. Tuesday night, there was enough tepid water left over that I just had a chilly shower. Wednesday night, the water was so cold I got goosebumps just touching it. Fastest, most swear-y shower you have ever seen. Had traumatic flashbacks to high school marching band - Colorguard had spandex dresses, sheer stockings, and thin leather dance shoes, in New England, during football season. Oh, and holding metal flag poles. I'm reasonably sure that counts as child abuse, but hey, we looked good, eh? And once you learn to march with numb feet and twirl a flag you can't feel, not much in life is gonna stop you. 

Thankfully, the heater and the plumber showed up again today, and - I just checked - we have hot water again. I'm gonna let the gentleman have the first shower, since he hasn't showered in two days, but then I'm gonna burn a layer or two of grime off myself tonight. Oooooh, and wash my hair. And run the dishwasher. And wash the pots and pans we'd cooked hamburgers in. And do laundry. And then maybe take another shower. 

In other news, I took one freaking hour last night to hand-sew one side of the shoulder velcro onto the vest. I'll do the other one tonight, and might actually be able to call that done. Managed to not draw blood with the massive leather needle, but it was close a few times. Looking forward to the claws next; did a sketch of my hand that I'm pretty proud of, and a few concept drawings, but I'm going to have to go down and play with the materials I have before I decide on how to do those.

1426194370_Clawsketch.thumb.PNG.c33512eb4a4b487937c1a35a886a0834.PNG

Also ordered a bunch of stuff to upgrade my computer, both for work and because one of these days, I'm going to poke into 3D cad drawing programs to start working with 3D printing stuff. I can think of SEVERAL applications where that would be super useful for cosplay. I suspect that will be after Taboo is done, however. One layer of oddness at a time. 

• Like 3

Sounds like quite the adventure. You enjoy your scalding hot shower!

Our plumbing has been weird ever since we got the bathroom redone last November. The water pressure used to be consistent. Consistently mediocre, but consistent, no matter how many taps we had running. Now you can wash your hands in the kitchen sink and the person taking a shower in the back will go from a reasonable pressure to a dribble (only slight exaggeration), and it's getting worse. We also got the water heater replaced during that because apparently ours conveniently sprung a leak (although it was also 11+ years old), but that shouldn't have affected the pressure, right? I'm like can we PLEASE get our usual plumber out here? (The one that is at least halfway familiar with the filovirus that is our plumbing.)

My traumatic marching band flashbacks come from marching in a heavy, black marching band uniform (the jacket was royal blue but the rest was black) and black plastic Roman chicken feather helmet, to a show anywhere from 160 to 184 bpm, in 96 F weather under direct sunlight. Kids were passing out from heat exhaustion on the field, I kid you not. It never started storming until just before the awards ceremony.

Your costume looks so cool, js. :D 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snickie said:

My traumatic marching band flashbacks come from marching in a heavy, black marching band uniform (the jacket was royal blue but the rest was black) and black plastic Roman chicken feather helmet, to a show anywhere from 160 to 184 bpm, in 96 F weather under direct sunlight. Kids were passing out from heat exhaustion on the field, I kid you not. It never started storming until just before the awards ceremony.

What is it with wildly inappropriate marching band uniforms? My family moved to Virginia for the last years of high school for me, and the VA uniform was hot, scratchy wool..... with gauze sleeves. Not comfortable for summer OR winter. We've got super high tech fabrics and designs for athletes, but hey those kids marching in both snow and scorching sun? They'll be fine. /facepalm.

Ignore the blue shirt and the fact that I'm kneeling because the gentleman couldn't get up from the couch... The shoulders are now attached! All that's left is to sew the arm bands tighter (and with elastic) and they're done! I was debating trying to make the transition from vest to shoulder plates a little nicer, but I think it looks fine. 

4AqXgu6.jpg DMOfmFf.jpg

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 5

On 5/29/2020 at 4:16 AM, Manarelle said:

it's my gentleman (whom I thought was in the basement, quietly computering) saying, "can you come down here right now???" Fffffffff.... that's not good. 

Yikes, what a terrible way to be awoken, and for a terrible scenario.  Glad you only had to go 2 days without hot water

18 hours ago, Manarelle said:

but I think it looks fine. 

It looks incredible. I was already a major fan of the plate shoulders but now after seeing the spinal armor, that is def my favorite part now.

• Thanks 1

Oh hey, look who hasn't "checked in" on her goals in 2 weeks. Oops.

• Languages: Caught up on reviews and making forward progress again. 
  • Exercise: Skipped Memorial Day because I lost track of time, otherwise went well. 
  • Gardening: Nope. 
  • Crafting: Taboo goal done. Jeans.... are on the list.

In my defense, I did get out the denim fabric yesterday and lay it on the cutting board. Then I realized I've been putting off making better-fitted covid masks for a while... then put away laundry... then read an entire book cover to cover because a) it was fascinating, and b) it wasn't messing about with jeans. I'm closing in on the point where I get tired of my own procrastination and just get to it, but I'm not quite there yet. 

The Taboo mask is done. I tied thin elastic around it and wore it for an hour, making lunch. No paint transference or slipping, so I just glued the elastic to the back and called it good. I did bonk the front horn into the cabinets a couple times, 'cause apparently I get my head really close to them while working, but everything survived the experience. 

DXh7xLA.jpg

I'm still vaguely on the fence about the horn. It's just..... kinda boring.... And the rounded base detracts from the pointiness of everything else, I feel? I'm not sure it'll even be visible, head-on, from more than conversation distance. I'd like to put on everything I've got so far and take some pictures this week, see how it all looks. 

I did poke around at making claws on Saturday, but decided against the style I'd done. I'm covered neck to toe in black and purple everywhere else, having pink lil fingers sticking out from under the Worbla seemed like it would look really stupid, and I didn't like the lack of flexibility/ staying-in-place-ness that this style conferred. So I ordered some wrist-length black opera gloves, and will be trying a style where I attach the Worbla to the gloves. My biggest concern is making it so that I can take them off/ put them on by myself, mostly for bathroom and nose-blowing reasons. I cannot imagine trying to do either of those with even 1" long claws on every finger. Nope. 

3bivxb0.jpg VwedjBE.jpg

• Like 4

I like the helmet/Face piece, you look akin to the Witch King from Lord of the Rings. I was looking at your stuff and I don't know if I missed it or not, but where is this character from?

• Thanks 1

So cooool! Worbla as a material(*) and you as a creative person :) And the progress in general of course.

(*) I have only ever done one poorly done costume in HS and I would find it fun to try playing with worbla because of your photos haha. One day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red1263 said:

I like the helmet/Face piece, you look akin to the Witch King from Lord of the Rings. I was looking at your stuff and I don't know if I missed it or not, but where is this character from?

Thanks? :) I think I mentioned it like once when I first started the outfit. Taboo is from a comic called Wildstorm, which was published back in the 90s. She was kind of a secondary character. If you google "wildstorm taboo", you'll cut through the billions of other things called Taboo that will muddle a search. Apparently, she and Backlash (the gentleman's cosplay) are the gentleman's favorite characters. The art he's been commissioning lately portrays her as the vampire symbiote, but like, having fun and being silly, too. I think it's a nice change from the 90s when everyone was all  >(   srs face.  

1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

So cooool! Worbla as a material(*) and you as a creative person :) And the progress in general of course.

(*) I have only ever done one poorly done costume in HS and I would find it fun to try playing with worbla because of your photos haha. One day!

I highly recommend it, it's very forgiving as a material. A touch expensive, but has soooooooo many uses and you can re-use the scraps. One day!

• Like 2