• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Staying on a roll [Manarelle]

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

In my defense, I did get out the denim fabric yesterday and lay it on the cutting board. Then I realized I've been putting off making better-fitted covid masks for a while... then put away laundry... then read an entire book cover to cover because a) it was fascinating, and b) it wasn't messing about with jeans.

We've all been there. At least you got the fabric out. And read a book.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Some LED lights would spice things up 🤣

I don't think I"m quite up to that level of cosplay yet. :) Give me one or two more outfits, then I'll start adding lights.

Well this week has, so far, sucked. I've been having stomach issues for a while, and on Tuesday night, as I got on the treadmill to do my cardio, they escalated sharply. Sufficient pain and posture impairment that I lowered the speed to a walk and seriously debated quitting early. Made it through, but it was not a restful night and I was basically in pain all day yesterday, enough that I skipped workout and only had rice, applesauce, and plain crackers for dinner. Didn't really sleep much last night either, finally got some rest around 4am as things worked through the system.

Woke up this morning feeling icky, but not in active pain, so I'll take it. Had 2 scrambled eggs and 3 ritz crackers, and I can at least sit normally with waistbands where they should be (any pressure yesterday was intolerable), so progress continues. I'm hoping it was all due to homemade pizza and a single rice krispie treat I had on Tuesday - the remains of both will be tossed because heck no. Here's to today seeing that clear up completely, and tomorrow's a "vacation" Friday for me. Would rather not spend it in pain. 

• Sad 2

On 6/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Hope everything clears up in time for Friday

Thankfully, it did. Not that I did much, still. Puttered around the craft room, finding new ways not to make claws. Went out back and pulled weeds for a bit until I put holes in two fingers of my work gloves - to be fair, they're something like 7-8 years old. Started re-reading some of my old books. Got a new one in, started that one, too. :) Nice down day. 

Yesterday was more of the same, and researching some different glove/ hand make-up ideas. Went grocery shopping at night, and had a talk with the gentleman about how it's tough to know what to believe. Stores are re-opening, distancing restrictions are loosening, but the numbers are still going up at the same rate. Anyway, won't get into that morass, suffice to say I took the day off of everything. I'm gonna have to go to Home Depot at some point now, because I can't even weed the garden without gloves, but it's showing as busier than usual pretty nonstop, and I'm still leery.

Woke up this morning and made a decision to move forward with the gloves for claws. Spent THREE HOURS picking the seams apart and re-sewing the fingers so they'd be more fitted, and I'm pretty sure my eyes have forgotten how to focus on distance, but the gloves look MUCH better. Printed out a pattern someone else used for claws, tweaked it (of course), and ended up with this: 

DypEIa8.jpg vq5LYo8.jpg

I do like it, mostly because it's subtle, creepy, and still lets me use my fingers a bit - I'm not completely hindered from using my hands like many claw patterns do. Spent another hour or so tracing and cutting out Worbla bits before I looked up and realized my distance vision across the room was shot, and I needed to focus on something more than 5" from my face for a while. Will work on attaching the bits to the gloves later. 

• Like 4

I've been mentally exhausted for a while, and I think part of it is the pandemic concern/ isolation - constantly being on guard and hearing mostly horrible things. Part of it, too, is the protests/ systemic problems that are absolutely a problem in need of fixing, but that again fill the places I get news from with mostly horrible reports. I realized this weekend, too, that the gentleman's tendency to drown himself in negative news and horrible things happening anywhere had spilled over into our conversations; I don't think we've had a single uplifting conversation in the last two weeks. I tend to focus on the positives and hope, but when every conversation I start gets dumped on because "there's more negative than positive," it really makes me not want to talk. I shared that with him, and appreciate that he did his best to keep our weekly card game news-free, even if it did mean more silence than usual. I understand his passion on topics that need addressed, but I don't want every single conversation to be how horrible the world is and who did what horrible things. 

And speaking of which.... 

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Yesterday was more of the same, and researching some different glove/ hand make-up ideas. Went grocery shopping at night, and had a talk with the gentleman about how it's tough to know what to believe. Stores are re-opening, distancing restrictions are loosening, but the numbers are still going up at the same rate. Anyway, won't get into that morass, suffice to say I took the day off of everything. I'm gonna have to go to Home Depot at some point now, because I can't even weed the garden without gloves, but it's showing as busier than usual pretty nonstop, and I'm still leery.

It appears that MD has been ramping up testing, and we're down into single-digit percentages of positive results, despite testing more than ever. Found out that the governor moved us to phase 2 re-opening as of Friday, which is why the grocery store was less strict about some things we'd come to accept. The hardest-hit counties have moved to Phase 1, based on testing numbers, even. Having wrapped my head around pandemic normal, coming out of it will take some getting used to. Might actually make that trip to the garden store....

Edit: Also on a lighter note, I asked one of the competitive lifters at my gym that I'm friends on FB with if overheating is just part and parcel of building muscle, and how to cope with it in summer. He responded, "I usually just walk around the house naked or in shorts only during summer, and hydrate like you're working out all day," which made me thankful I am working from home because I straight up lol'ed at that. He's one of the (many) guys at the gym that look intimidating but are quite fun to chat with. One even called out my NF shirt for what it was. Can't wait for things to improve to get back to a gym setting. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I usually just walk around the house naked or in shorts only during summer

Hopefully with the curtains closed

• Haha 1

It really has been strange / uncomfortable letting go of some of the stricter pandemic measures.. I think the hardest part of it is the uncertainty surrounding every little decision.

Anyway, glad you and your husband (😁) had good talks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It really has been strange / uncomfortable letting go of some of the stricter pandemic measures.. I think the hardest part of it is the uncertainty surrounding every little decision.

Anyway, glad you and your husband (😁) had good talks. 

Definitely this. Thankfully the death rate is going down, even if infections aren't, but still... what if...

In other news, I went down to the basement last night, thinking I'd be able to just heat the Worbla and stick it to the gloves. I made holes in the pieces (and the table, sigh) so I could sew them on for extra security, just in case. Turns out in case was very much the case - they do not stick enough for me to be confident in them, so I just started sewing them all on. Let me tell you how much fun it is to sew teeny tiny stitches on stretchy fabric, where there's an equal chance of sewing it to your own SKIN, and where you have to take the gloves off to put the needle through the Worbla, then put them back on to make sure your next stitch is in place. Two hours and 45 minutes later, I'd gotten this far:

ASqhA8v.jpg?1

Why do I DO this to myself????

• Like 2

Omg I thought this was supposed to be a fun hobby 😝

9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Why do I DO this to myself????

Though I’ll admit that I often ask myself this with my own hobby’s 😅

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Red1263 said:

It could be worse

Yes, it could. Thankfully, while I have stabbed myself a ridiculously high number of times, I have never (yet) had a serious injury from sewing. Here's hoping.

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Omg I thought this was supposed to be a fun hobby 😝

Though I’ll admit that I often ask myself this with my own hobby’s 😅

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure anyone with any sort of seriousish hobby has said this, at least once. Sometimes, it's not the journey, it's keeping in mind that the result is going to be AMAZING. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure anyone with any sort of seriousish hobby has said this, at least once.

If you haven't sworn at your knitting and thrown it across the room at least once, you're not trying hard enough.

• Haha 2

Look at that, end of the challenge already! Time flies in Blursday-land.

Goals:

• Languages: Solid. 
  • Exercise: Also solid. 
  • Gardening: Some cleanup done, but then gloves died. 
  • Crafting: Jeans - no. Headpiece - yes. Claws - started. 

Spent another 2.5 hours last night sewing pieces on the gloves. Annoyingly, I could have gotten further, except I spent 40 minutes sewing a particular piece on twice, then realized it wasn't the right piece for that spot... then sewed the correct piece on clear through the finger, so I'll still have to take one side off and redo it, but I wasn't about to redo it right then. Definitely starting to look good, though, and I'm getting a sense of how a piece on the back of the palm should look to tie this in with the rest of the outfit. 

x59fxFQ.jpg 4zFnTKv.jpg

Interestingly enough, I found a...nother? way to focus my eyes? I kept looking up to try to keep my distance vision while sewing, and realized if I "flexed" a different part of my eyes, the distance stuff came back much faster. I have no idea what that means or what I was using, but this year seems to be the year of learning about my body, and I'm not gonna complain. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this challenge. Made significant progress on the costume, and on the mental expectations for it. I'm starting to question if jeans are really best, so that will be off the next challenge. I got back in the habit of language practice, and pushed working out to the point I can see some amount of shoulder muscle definition. The gardening didn't go far, but I'm hoping to get to a store on my next Friday off and get supplies so if the weather ever behaves, I can get stuff done. Numbers seem to be trending in the right direction in my state, so I'm going to cautiously lower (not erase) restrictions on being out. It won't be "over" til there's a vaccine, but social distancing measures seem to be okay here, thank goodness. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Last-minute update. Finished the left hand, started on the right. At 15.6 hours so far, but I think it'll be worth it.

m0tRxkP.jpg i6rkXAo.jpg

Side note... I have tried to be fairly proactive about using my left hand to do thing. Not truly ambidextrous, but I can write passably well, do most sports lefty, etc. Sewing these buggers onto my right hand, however, is beyond my capabilities. Feel hella derp even trying. Right hand might take slightly longer to finish than then left. 

• Like 2