Ye Moderately Olde Ranger Guildhall: General Chat

SkyGirl

18625453.gif

The Guildhall is alive with sounds and smells as the Rangers begin to assemble after a long day, once again taking refuge in the last place on Earth where the plague cannot dwell, no distance need be kept and masks can be left by the door - where they are found mysteriously washed, dried, fragrant and hung on a peg when each Ranger is ready to leave.

Every window is wide open, letting the fresh breeze swirl through and mix with the smells of fresh food and drink, sun-washed wood and the low fire for baking. All the corners are freshly swept and some are dim, cool and quiet, lit only with small candles; others are bright and warm, soaked with sunlight. As each person enters, the barkeep meets them at their table with their favorite drink, already prepared. For those who are lonely and aching, he drops a quick touch on their shoulder or hand as he smiles warmly and moves on. For those who are nervous and need to be alone, he is quick and silent, leaving the drink and shielding them from unwanted conversation as others pass by.

The Guildhall is our refuge, Rangers, where we can leave our cares at the door and come in to chat, rest, share drinks and take courage. 

Welcome home.

• Like 11

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 45

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

5 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Welcome home.

Always good to be home replies a wood elf, from his table where the barman has placed a pint of very strong, very dark beer. 

It's good to see everyone.

• Like 3

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Greetings my Rangers! 

First round's on me!

328451.jpg

• Like 5

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

@Tanktimus the Encourager  prickly pear?  How very Texan of you.....😉

Okay Rangers.  I need your help.  I’ve been toying with an idea.  I want to have 6 things.  Movement type things.  (Squats and jumping jacks will likely be 2 of them). I need 4 more.  My knees and shoulder are janky at this time, so burpees and lunges are out. (Plus, I DON’T LIKE THEM).  Planks & pushups are iffy, and reps of those would be low.  I have a random number generator, and every time I feel the need to snack, I will pick a number between 1& 6, and do that thing for X number of minutes or reps.  For example:  bored, snack happy?  Do # (?) for 5 minutes.  Or 30 times.  Or something.  I’m still refining.  Can you help?  Pretty please?

• Like 5

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

44 minutes ago, Rinna said:

Okay Rangers.  I need your help.  I’ve been toying with an idea.  I want to have 6 things.  Movement type things.  (Squats and jumping jacks will likely be 2 of them). I need 4 more.  My knees and shoulder are janky at this time, so burpees and lunges are out. (Plus, I DON’T LIKE THEM).  Planks & pushups are iffy, and reps of those would be low.  I have a random number generator, and every time I feel the need to snack, I will pick a number between 1& 6, and do that thing for X number of minutes or reps.  For example:  bored, snack happy?  Do # (?) for 5 minutes.  Or 30 times.  Or something.  I’m still refining.  Can you help?  Pretty please?

I'd say if planks are low and they won't jank your shoulder they are a perfect thing to have in the mix. So what if the reps are low? The point is that you do them and get better at it, not that you start out doing a zillion second plank. Pushups too for that matter. What's important is not the number of reps per set, but how often you work at the movement. I'd suggest planks and pushups are two of the best things to include in the list. You may want to include some physical therapy like movements for the shoulder as well, since that has the potential to help un-jank the shoulder.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Rinna said:

Sit down on the floor and stand back up 5 different ways

reach your arms over your head and touch the top of the door frame 10 times

stand on one leg for 30 seconds (or in sets up to 30 seconds)

I like the idea of doing something, and agree with Tank, you can keep the numbers low. The idea isn't to punish yourself for a snack(I hope) it's just to disrupt that a bit , so that sometimes you will decide it wasn't really necessary to have the snack, or even if yo do now you have done some movement

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

2 hours ago, Rinna said:

I like the idea of adding some mobility exercises in here, especially if certain spots are feeling funky - GMB has been huge for me in improving my shoulder mobility (I did bits of Elements years ago and still incorporate a lot of it into my workout warmups), but they also have a lot of good articles that aren't programs that are free too!

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

3 hours ago, Rinna said:

My knees and shoulder are janky at this time,

Step ups might grease up your knees a bit if done slowly and low. 

Spoiler

BTW, nice snack fighting technique :D 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'd say if planks are low and they won't jank your shoulder they are a perfect thing to have in the mix. So what if the reps are low? The point is that you do them and get better at it, not that you start out doing a zillion second plank. Pushups too for that matter. What's important is not the number of reps per set, but how often you work at the movement. I'd suggest planks and pushups are two of the best things to include in the list. You may want to include some physical therapy like movements for the shoulder as well, since that has the potential to help un-jank the shoulder.

Good points.  And good ideas. I can do elbow planks if regular ones are to painful......

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sit down on the floor and stand back up 5 different ways

reach your arms over your head and touch the top of the door frame 10 times

stand on one leg for 30 seconds (or in sets up to 30 seconds)

I like the idea of doing something, and agree with Tank, you can keep the numbers low. The idea isn't to punish yourself for a snack(I hope) it's just to disrupt that a bit , so that sometimes you will decide it wasn't really necessary to have the snack, or even if yo do now you have done some movement

It’s totally to try and distract myself from mindless eating.  I eat when I’m bored/depressed.  This is an idea I’ve been toying with to change the habit.  Not to punish/reward.

I like the balance idea, I need to work on that......sadly I don't have to Stretch far to reach the top of the door frame......

Okay tentative list:

1. Do squats for 5 minutes

2. Do a plank until failure, elbow or regular as able

3. Do jumping jacks for 5 minutes

4. Alternate standing on one leg for 5 minutes

5.  10 minute yoga quickie - neck, shoulders, upper back

6.  Maybe pushups?  Have to try one and see if it’s doable with my shoulder......

1 hour ago, loire said:

I like the idea of adding some mobility exercises in here, especially if certain spots are feeling funky - GMB has been huge for me in improving my shoulder mobility (I did bits of Elements years ago and still incorporate a lot of it into my workout warmups), but they also have a lot of good articles that aren't programs that are free too!

Thanks, I’ll look into that!

51 minutes ago, aramis said:

Step ups might grease up your knees a bit if done slowly and low. 

Reveal hidden contents

BTW, nice snack fighting technique :D 

I’d have to do a much lower step.  My knee would not allow that high of a step ☹️
And, thanks!

• Like 2

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Spoiler

-Björn Járnhamar

A petite, elven Ranger  wanders into the inn. Seeing all her fellow Rangers, she quickly goes over and greets them enthusiastically, giving each of them a hug.The hugs all might have been a bit awkwardly long, but they all understood, as they all had been locked away too. "Another round for everyone , this one's on  me" She sits down with her friends, and  catches up on all their stories.

After an enjoyable time of drinking and visiting with her friends, she sets her mug down, pays the barkeep, and prepares to leave. She turns to her fellow Rangers," It's been wonderful seeing you all, sorry I can't stay long ,  but after the Great Lockdown, I've been inside too long. It's time for me to venture into the world and find more adventures" With that she walks out the door,  eager to follow the road to find her next adventure

• Like 3

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

25 minutes ago, Rinna said:

sadly I don't have to Stretch far to reach the top of the door frame......

Hmm, didn't think of that . With my pixie stature, I have to reach every door frame

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Rinna said:

I’d have to do a much lower step.  My knee would not allow that high

That's why I said "slowly and low". Good example would be doing those on first step of stairs. If that's still too high, just put a phonebook/couple boards/concrete-filled pizza box on the floor. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

52 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

A petite, elven Ranger  wanders into the inn. Seeing all her fellow Rangers, she quickly goes over and greets them enthusiastically, giving each of them a hug.The hugs all might have been a bit awkwardly long, but they all understood, as they all had been locked away too. "Another round for everyone , this one's on  me" She sits down with her friends, and  catches up on all their stories.

The bearded Ranger with his feet up smiles as he remembers the elven Ranger's first entrance to the guildhall from the Assassins.

53 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

pays the barkeep

Pays?

Has anyone else been paying?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So it's time to expand on the Guild Hall lore.

In my mind, the first Rangers set up the guild hall so well that the barkeep was hired with enough money to pay for everyone and everything they order as long as Rangers keep visiting the Guild Hall, which is why none of us have to pay for our drinks.

• Like 4

In my mind, the first Rangers set up the guild hall so well that the barkeep was hired with enough money to pay for everyone and everything they order as long as Rangers keep visiting the Guild Hall, which is why none of us have to pay for our drinks.

Criminy. I need to come back. The Scouts camp is a BYOB joint.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

9 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm thinking we funded it with the treasure  we claimed after we killed the dragon.

• Like 4

The small Ranger with the runes on her arms and the white stripe in her hair comes a little more slowly into the Guidlhall than is her wont, but her tired eyes light up with gladness as she is immediately embraced by @Elastigirl and several other Rangers near the door. Normally one to sit alone and watch the others come in and out, today she squeezes in between @Jarric and @Rinna, wrapping her fingers around the warm London Fog latte that the barkeep immediately presses into her hands. His eyes twinkle as he briefly rests one huge hand on her head, then moves off to serve the next patron.

"Guys," she says, grinning as she looks at all her favorite people gathered together, "it's so good to be home."

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Come ride the Incredicoaster with me.

• Like 1

A lone figure slips quietly into the Guildhall, heading directly to a table in one of the many shadowy corners. They settle with their back flush against the wall, a smile crossing their face as they watch figures both familiar and new filter in and find somewhere to sit. It feels good to be back, just like coming home. 

And that'll be a non-alcoholic cider for me, barkeep! It does feel good to be back though, I have missed everyone around here. This challenge will be the first of many back with my home guild, I hope. 

• Like 6

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

A glass of ANYTHING palatable and some face-to-face conversation, please ......

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

On 5/6/2020 at 8:58 PM, aramis said:

concrete-filled pizza box

Why do you have a concrete-filled pizza box?

• Confused 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

Strange question... You don't have one? 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

On 5/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, aramis said:

That's why I said "slowly and low". Good example would be doing those on first step of stairs. If that's still too high, just put a phonebook/couple boards/concrete-filled pizza box on the floor. 

Well, I have plenty of stairs to choose from......I also have an aerobic step somewhere......,

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

obviously a weaponized pizza.......

3 hours ago, aramis said:

🤣

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Spoiler

-Björn Járnhamar

3 hours ago, aramis said:

Touché

• Haha 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

On 5/7/2020 at 12:59 AM, Elastigirl said:

Come ride the Incredicoaster with me.

DUDE THIS WAS SO AMAZING I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO RIDE THIS WITH YOU

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed: