Hi everyone! I'm new to NerdFitness. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community here. I have been trying to get healthy for a while, but I've been struggling. I think part of that is because I was trying to do it alone. I'm hoping that with this will help.

The Quest: Lose 60 lbs

Goal 1: Drink 11 cups of water a day. I'm basically trying to become a fish here. 

Goal 2: Don't eat any deep fried food. That means no french fries either!

Goal 3: Workout at least 20 minutes 3 times a week.  

Goal 4: Go to bed by 10:00 PM each night. Speaking of, it's my bedtime, so goodnight everyone!

• Like 11

You've got this!

Just in case you need this: try to "associate" your new habits to old patterns already in place.

So for example, for goal 1 to become a fish. If you don't get thirsty on your own. (And If your tap water is drinkable.) Take your bottle with you to the bathroom when you go brush your teeth. Keep a cup in the bathroom if you have space. Drink a cup, fill your water bottle. Keep your bottle within arm's reach (or in any case, in sight).

Make it as easy for yourself as you can / take away as many obstacles as you can. The psychological part of creating habits is tough enough, don't have your environment working against you as well :D (Speaking from experience.)

• Like 5

Thanks everyone!

Analoggirl thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely have to try that with the water bottle. I've been reading a lot of books about building habits lately, but I hadn't figured out a way to increase my water intake. I'm at about 7-8 cups a day right now.

For going to bed on time, I had this really bad habit of scrolling through social media before bed. It would keep me awake for at least an hour each night, now when I go to bed, I leave my phone on the other side of the room so I don't have access to that habit. It also forces me to get out of bed in the morning to turn off my alarm instead of pushing snooze around a dozen times before actually getting up. Double win!

• Like 5

Hi! Thank you for checking in Mudd. I really really appreciate it. 

Happy Day 1 of the official challenge dates everyone! I spent the last few days also working on my goals, because there's no time like now to start. Thanks to analoggirl's suggestion, I've been able to piggyback my old habit at work of getting water/tea 3-4 times a day and doubling my intake by drinking the full glass while I'm there before refilling it again to take back to my desk. I'm happy to say that I'm going on 4 days of 11+ cups of water! I'm well on my way to turning into a fish!

I've also been able to stick with my goal of not eating any deep fried food. I was even able to avoid the fries when my husband and I order food from Bob's Burgers. I went with a salad on the side instead. Win!

I've gone to bed by 10:15 each work night the last few days, but wasn't so great about it over the weekend. I'll have to be more diligent next weekend. 

I've only worked out once the last week, but I have scheduled my workouts for this coming week, so hopefully I'll be able to accomplish that goal this week too. 

I hope everyone else's challenges are off to a great start!

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Happy Day 1 to you too!

Major kudos for the successes! 11 cups of water seems like no joke. For me, passing on fries might be even harder. So awesome that you've really hit the ground running like this.

• Like 1

Hi Sloth the Enduring! Thanks for checking in. I really appreciate it. 

So I've upped my water goal to 14 cups of water per day. . . and I'm doing it! Once I figured out how to do it (thanks again analoggirl!), it's become really  easy, at least at work. Over the weekend when my schedule's different, I think it will be more difficult. 

I was craving fried chicken today, so I made a baked breaded chicken with a cornflake crust for the crunch instead. It was delicious! 

I'm close to going to bed on time, but still missing the mark by about 15-20 minutes. 

I worked out twice on Monday, but I think I'm only counting it as once  since it was the same day. I also have a lunchtime workout scheduled with a co-worker for Friday, and plan on going on a 5+ mile walk with my dog on Saturday for my third workout. If it ends up raining, I'll do Yoga instead. 

• Like 6

14 cups of water‽‽‽  🌊 🐬 🌊

I really like the idea of responding to a craving by finding something healthier that might scratch that itch. Really clever.

I also love the idea of dogs being beneficiaries of people going for walks more.

• Like 1

Mermaid! I love that!

Well, I'm proud to say that after sticking with my goals for a week, I have lost 4 lbs!!!!! I'm amazed that such small changes could have that big of results. I fully expected to be the same weight or only lose 1-2 lbs.

Now the debate is whether I want to increase my goals for this coming week, or wait another week to help solidify the habits I'm trying to build. If I increase my goals, the next step (I think) is to add in eating 5 fruits and vegetables a day. I'm probably currently eating around 3. What do you all think? I would love suggestions. Should I take it slow and wait another week or should I jump in now? Is eating 5 fruits and vegetables a day a good next step or should I start with something else? 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, wolfgirl said:

Well, I'm proud to say that after sticking with my goals for a week, I have lost 4 lbs!!!!! I'm amazed that such small changes could have that big of results. I fully expected to be the same weight or only lose 1-2 lbs.

THAT’S AWESOME!!! WOOT!!! Well done in sticking to your plan! You can do it!  Yes, small changes have big effects, stay strong!

I second slot, I would suggest waiting till it’s a habit before progressing so you have something to fall back on but you will know best when it’s considered a habit to you (automatic? use to it?) and time to up it :))

• Like 1

Thanks //Min

So far this week, I have hit my drinking goal each day, and I've already gone walking four times this week. Twice during lunch for 2+ miles and twice with my dog for just over a mile each time. I have a couple of friends that walk with me during lunch from work. They definitely push me to go further than I would on my own. I choosing to look at this as a good thing. I'm so sore, and looking forward to either a day off tomorrow or yoga. 

• Like 2