• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hiho, I’m //Min

I just graduated from the last Level 1 challenge with success and would like to join the Rangers guild. I hope to cheer and celebrate along with everyone. Well met ~(^◇^)/

For year 2020, I am reinventing myself by building habits for a foundation of a strong body and healthy life. I update my progress on that at my battle log. Recently, I’ve been motivated by a comic titled Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan), where the main characters fight for freedom from caged walls and man eating giants. I too shall fight for my freedom from the prison of an unfit body and mind. Freedom!! .·゚゚ヽ( `д´)

CURRENT STATUS

As at the end of my last challenge.

• Dietary: I eat three meals a day, 5 servings of vegetables and fruit (mainly veg).
  • Exercise: 30 mins gentle exercise every morning (follow youtube channel) and 20-30 min dog walk every evening. For flexibility, should I miss a day, I must continue the routine the next day, so at the minimum I’m exercising half the week.

CHALLENGE DIRECTIVES

To focus on increase movement to the muscles throughout the day and fuel the body right.

1. Dietary: Eat 6 servings of fruit and vegetables daily

I don’t have enough fruit intake so I’ll add one serving of fruit to dinner. I’m going to try to have dinner before 7.15pm too.

2. Exercise: Push up progression at least 5 times a week 

I want some strength building and choose the classic push up. Currently I cannot do any push ups on the ground at all. (>_<III) I’ll start with wall push ups 50 reps, adding them to my 30 min morning workout or do sets throughout the day.

3. Massage: Self-massage at least 5 times a week (10 mins)

I must try each day of the 14-day whole body routine prescribed in a book I’m reading at least twice.

#2 and #3 will be the mental challenge for me to carry through:

• For exercise, I tend to want to do everything (add an intense cardio session, do every exercise etc) but I also tend to give up the moment the exercise gets too tough. So in the end, nothing gets done. To overcome this, I have to keep focussed and commit to the easier exercise I said I would do and ignore the calling to try other exercises.
  • For massage, there is a mental block to drag myself to the floor to do them (floor required for foam rolling etc). When I do get there, I am impatient to focus on each massage point long enough to see effect. I’m still not sure how to get round this other then summoning all my mental willpower to do it.

UPDATE SCHEDULE

Once a week on my challenge directives. Occasional thoughts thrown in now and then.

• Like 7

Thoughts

How do people reward themselves or celebrate after a successful completion of their challenges? I haven’t rewarded myself for level 1 completion haha. I'm wondering how to reward myself if I complete this challenge... Something to look forward to? I'm not very good at celebrating my successes, this is something I'm trying to change. 

• Like 1

Good luck Min, there are loads of challenges in the forum where people give themselves rewards for successful challenge completions.  But I guess what the reward is depends entirely on the type of thing that will motivate you to get on and get done!

Hi Min!!! Hope you are well today. Where abouts in the world are you? Im from Manchester, UK :)

Hope you will be happy in the Rangers, we will cheer you on! x

@Quirky Quinn Thank you! I'll probably think of it along the journey. I'm trying not to have a food reward (trying to change my relationship with food) or gift reward (since I'm practicing minimalism). Maybe I'll choose an experience to commemorate the milestones, like a memory. For now, I decided I'm going to make a digital badge awards of the comic I'm reading for myself for each challenged finished. Each badge would kind of be like card collecting, I think that might be fun. Here's my first one to commemorate my first challenge! I award myself the badge of Eren Jaeger, for his single minded focus on his goal, who reminded me never to give up during my first challenge. 

1badge.png.e6b878138244bb2f5e684dae51974055.png

@Salinger Hi hi! I am good today! I am from Singapore~ I've been to Manchester once, my dad is a supporter of the football club there! Thank you for your support, I'm very grateful! o(^▽^)o

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Hi Min!  I remember Attack on Titan, I watched the first season a few years back!  It was a REALLY engaging anime!!  I think Armin and Levi were my favorites... :D

BeneficialOrdinaryHog-size_restricted.gi

I'm real bad at rewards so I just... don't?? Haha, I can always tell myself "If I complete this challenge I will reward myself with [something]!", but then my lizard brain is like, "If you want [something] you can just buy it now, you know......" ^^;  I think my motivation leans more towards being able to get better at the thing I'm attempting, if that makes sense??

• Like 2

@loire Hello loire! That gif never fails to make me happy… thank you… oh Heichou Levi… (✿ ♥‿♥) Yea! Season 1 was non-stop heart pumping all the way! I recently binge watch from the beginning to season 3 part 2. The emotions portrayed in the story… it felt so analogous to my life! A touch dramatic, but that’s how I felt haha!

Mmm I see what you mean, something like satisfaction at becoming more competent is reward in itself yea? That can indeed be a powerful motivator. I shall remember it, thank you.

• Like 2

Hey Min, im very similar to @loire in that my lizard brain tells me to just BUY IT NOW hahah i think the goal of improving IS a reward in itself yes. Maybe finding something where you can utilise a new skill would be cool? Unsure what though. I will be following this with curiosity as i think it would help me too :)

Hope you are having a great day.... i just looked and it is just after midday there...? It is 5.40AM here :) x

• Like 1

@Salinger Finding something to use a new skill is a good idea, thank you. I'll need to measure my skill level at the start and at the end too. and it's Friday! that's always a good day hee

@Quirky Quinn Thank you! If you ever want a badge, maybe one with Threepwood, let me know and I can help make you one (。•̀ᴗ-)✧

@Elastigirl Thank you for the welcome! As for the badges, I came up with the idea on a whim as I was thinking of medals people won during competitions, its oddly becoming more motivating then I thought it would be.

• Like 3

I was so pleased with the outcome of the badge that I decided I'm going to make more graphics for this challenge. Here's a starting banner to pump up the energy ahead of the challenge start date. 

C2Opening.thumb.png.ae9da183dce5976dd71e978454b581c8.png

• Like 5

As week 0 draws to a close, here is the progress report. Getting psyched to start tomorrow, I will conquer the mental and physical barriers.  [These graphics are best viewed sideways on mobile phones]

C2W0.thumb.png.db24a04196ee2c4e94f4f86a03fdf17b.png

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

@Quirky Quinn Thank you! I really love that anime (Japanese animation) so there's lots of room for creativity!

////////////////////////////////////////////////// 

Are you ready for it?? CHALLENGE START! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! ONWARD TO YOUR GOALS!!

C2start.thumb.png.72b6e0d07ab7b0f27ec1179b4892fe94.png

Please lend me your support!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:36 PM, //Min said:

Thoughts

How do people reward themselves or celebrate after a successful completion of their challenges? 

By ignoring how badly I complied with my last challenge, consigning it to oblivion, and writing up a fresh, sparkling new one? 

Good luck with the pushups! As a person who finds pushups absurdly difficult I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. 

@Harriet Hahaha! That's the spirit! You won't be beaten down, try try again! Any pace forward is still forward! 

And thank you! Since I can't do any push ups at all on the ground... hopefully I can do one by the end you know? 100% improvement. Cause even wall push ups are giving me trouble... I'm glacier pace, but any goal I have for my challenges I intend to continue after hahaha!

• Like 1

Hey //Min, welcome to the Rangers, nice to meet you!

On 5/6/2020 at 7:36 AM, //Min said:

Thoughts

How do people reward themselves or celebrate after a successful completion of their challenges? I haven’t rewarded myself for level 1 completion haha. I'm wondering how to reward myself if I complete this challenge... Something to look forward to? I'm not very good at celebrating my successes, this is something I'm trying to change. 

Much like @loire and @Salinger if I want something I'll buy it. I also don't particularly find spending my own money on stuff rewarding :lol:

Progress tracking works well for me. Some people here post their level in their signature and level up with each challenge they complete. I complicate that slightly by assigning XP to every challenge goal, and levelling up every 100XP (I track it using the old NF Character Creator).

In terms of an experiential reward, I find that a goal experience works very well for me. Usually I'm working towards an obstacle course race or a running event, so my progress is rewarded by a better experience at the race.

Your graphics for this challenge look amazing! How do you go about putting them together?

Also, if you can do 25 wall pressups unbroken you might want to progress to elevated pushups using a kitchen counter or the back of a sofa. 25 reps in a set is a lot!

• Like 1

MIN I love your graphics so much!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with! :D How do you put them together, is it Photoshop or something different?

Awesome graphics. Wishing you luck on the pushup progressions! Do you know what you'll progress to once you get good at the wall pushups?

@Jarric @loire @Salinger @PaulG Thank you for all your lovely comments (*^_^*)♥ I thought I’d combine my reply together since there were overlapping questions haha!

For the graphics, I’m using good old powerpoint to create them! It’s free and has a few nifty but easy to use graphic tools like cropping and adjusting transparency. The words are a mix of Chinese and Japanese. The drawings are sourced from the comic/animation that’s still ongoing, so lots to play with. The rest are literally just placement of lines, shape and colour from auto shapes. It’s actually pretty easy! Please let me know if any of you would like me to make you a custom graphic, I’d be happy to! Or if you are feeling creative, have a crack at it and share, I’d love to see!

Overall, the tone of the graphics I’m going for is super hyped up overkill (in line with the mood of the comic itself haha!) because everyday feels like a struggle and it takes herculean mental effort to do anything. I’m starting to think every movement forward, no matter how small, deserves its own resounding ovation. Got out of bed on time? YOU’RE AWESOME! Did a 10 min walk? WOW SO BRILLIANT! Ate an extra serving of vegetable? YOU’RE OWNING THE WHOLE VEGETABLE PLOT! It feels infectious! And I hope the graphics end up giving some of that energy to others too because we here are all working hard towards a better version of ourselves.

For the push up progression, my current plan is 4 stages: 50 reps wall, 50 reps table, 30 reps stool, 10 reps floor. Though I’ll be glad the day I can do even 1 floor push up. Thank you @Jarric for the vote of confidence of 25 reps haha! I know I’m currently doing something wrong though since my shoulders and neck are aching from wall push ups. So this plan may change as I troubleshoot by reading up more on the push up literature out there.

I was thinking I would only progress to the next stage when I can do one stage without too much effort. I suspect setting a quantitative “do X push up by end challenge” which has high possibility of failure by end challenge or resulting in compromised push up form would be a huge mental blow to me. I figured that the goal of setting time aside to improve, no matter where I started, there will definitely be an improvement and some level of success by the end of the 5 weeks. It also allows flexibility of my own pace for days when I’m not feeling so great (ill or stressed) to say “ok i’m at stage two but let’s do stage one today and back to stage two tomorrow” so I’m resting but still moving forward rather than dropping back to square one and having to start all over again.

While failures are important lessons too in our journeys, I think at the beginning where I am currently it might be better to be bolstered by successes to build a strong mental foundation and strengthen resolve.

@Jarric I do really like the idea you suggested of the experiential reward of a better event experience. I didn’t think of that and is most certainly something I would want to work towards in the future after I set my basic foundation up. You are indeed levelled up haha!

• Like 7

I think you are right on goal setting. Saying you can do x amount, by the end of the challenge is really hard to predict how much you can do, and  in some ways is out of your control. But controlling how much you work on something is under your control, and will result in levelling up

• Like 3

6 hours ago, //Min said:

Overall, the tone of the graphics I’m going for is super hyped up overkill (in line with the mood of the comic itself haha!) because everyday feels like a struggle and it takes herculean mental effort to do anything. I’m starting to think every movement forward, no matter how small, deserves its own resounding ovation. Got out of bed on time? YOU’RE AWESOME! Did a 10 min walk? WOW SO BRILLIANT! Ate an extra serving of vegetable? YOU’RE OWNING THE WHOLE VEGETABLE PLOT! It feels infectious! And I hope the graphics end up giving some of that energy to others too because we here are all working hard towards a better version of ourselves.

Yes! Totally agree on the resounding ovation thing!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, //Min said:

Got out of bed on time? YOU’RE AWESOME! Did a 10 min walk? WOW SO BRILLIANT! Ate an extra serving of vegetable? YOU’RE OWNING THE WHOLE VEGETABLE PLOT! It feels infectious! And I hope the graphics end up giving some of that energy to others too because we here are all working hard towards a better version of ourselves.

I love this, it really does feel infectious!

12 hours ago, //Min said:

I figured that the goal of setting time aside to improve, no matter where I started, there will definitely be an improvement and some level of success by the end of the 5 weeks

I think that's a great idea, make the goal something you can control (making time to practice), rather that a result that's hard to predict.

• Like 2