• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Really enjoy your weekly progress reports, I wish I could do them with as much flair. Sounds like you're doing awesome!

I hear you on the self-massage. I used to do quite a few, but I've had a hard time combating my flexibility problems, and for a while I took a hard left and threw out all the MFR/self-massage/manual therapy techniques, told myself it was a bunch of pseudoscience crap, and went back to old-school stretching. Recently, though, I came to terms with the fact that old-school stretching hasn't always been most effective for me, and I've been adding a few back in here and there.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:43 PM, //Min said:

3. Ideally I should work on my full body, but there are too many movements for different areas of the body and I get overwhelmed.

This was for sure my problem, partly because I've just lived my whole life hypomobile in a bunch of different ways. FWIW, I've been much happier with my more recent tactic of just choosing two or three things I want to get better at, and focusing on those couple things at a time. And I think it's been more effective, too. For example, I'm not working on spinal mobility at all right now, and just working on my hamstrings, quads, and strengthening my hip flexors. That way I have a more manageable number of things to do, and it's easier to do it every day without feeling like I'm giving up too much of my time.

• Like 1

@PaulG Thank you! I enjoy making the weekly reports :)

Where did you learn the MFR/self-massage techniques? Also do you have any resource to recommend stretching? Are you following any videos?

I actually wanted to try going for a sports massage once a month (didn’t do much of massaging before) but didn’t want to spend the money (read: stingy) and figured one session is not going to be enough to repair my body as opposed to a daily administration lol! 

• Like 2

THOUGHTS

Feeling low from the various stressors in my life. Every day, every moment feels like a battle to overcome. Emotionally, mentally, physically. Decided to perk myself up by grabbing a pair of 3kg weights to simulate the amount of weight I’ve lost since January and marvel at how much it is. 6kg over 5 months (5kg of that is fat) doesn’t seem like a lot in numbers, and the journey ahead seems so long, but the weights sure felt heavy in my hands and I couldn’t help but feel a little proud of myself. 

How far have you come in your journeys? Take a moment to feel proud of yourself.

• Like 5

I still love your pretty graphics, Min! And I'm proud of you for the progress you've made. Little steps add up!!  ❤️ 

Hope your week is off to a lovely start!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 12:05 AM, //Min said:

@PaulG Thank you! I enjoy making the weekly reports :)

Where did you learn the MFR/self-massage techniques? Also do you have any resource to recommend stretching? Are you following any videos?

I actually wanted to try going for a sports massage once a month (didn’t do much of massaging before) but didn’t want to spend the money (read: stingy) and figured one session is not going to be enough to repair my body as opposed to a daily administration lol! 

Originally, I actually learned a lot of techniques by following Kelly Starrett as well. I had his book (Becoming a Supple Leopard) at one point, but found that at least in that book, he didn't talk much about why certain techniques worked or who they were good for. So it was hard to search through the material and find out what would be effective for me.

Nowadays, for more traditional flexibility techniques I go to GMB, I think their stuff is generally very well thought-out. When I want more info on active flexibility and loaded stretching, I have been checking out Jen Crane (CirquePhysio) recently, whose stuff seems to be generally pretty good.

I think Starrett's info might have been more helpful to me if I'd focused more on just a couple parts of my body at a time, and tested myself with just a couple techniques for those parts, then stuck with those few stretches for a couple weeks or a month at a time. It was very tempting to throw, say, ten hamstring things at the wall without testing, to see if something sticks, and do the same thing with the whole body whenever I decided something else was limiting me; that made it hard to see any real progress because I never really built a plan.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 4:53 AM, //Min said:

Thanks for the awesome points Jarric! What's an IT band? How did you learn what you did, did you have someone teach you or follow a certain resource? 

The IT band is a tendon that runs down the outside of your thigh from your hip to your knee. It being tight or damaged is responsible for hip or knee pain in a lot of people.

It's a variety of things, I had physio for my hip and they had me rolling the IT band and glutes, and other stuff I've been given to do by a trainer in the gym or have just experimented and found it works.

• Like 1

I love your idea of getting some weights and seeing how much you've lost. I think taking the moments to stop and see how many goals you've already reached is a great way to combat that  feeling of being overwhelmed .

I can second liking GMB"s stuff.Their website has lots of free tutorials . I like Kelly Starrett's book Deskbound for information on self massage techniques and mobility drills

• Like 2

@SkyGirl Thank you! Yes I like the idea of little steps! It's been a crazy but good week.. will update in the progress report!

@PaulG Thank you for the info about the resources! I will go check GMB and the others out. I plan to look into stretching in August so it will be useful hehehe and the point about testing to see if something sticks, that is soooo relatable. 

@Jarric I see I see thank you. I also have some knee and hip aches/pain, but haven't really seen had a chance to see professionals about it or think it was painful enough to warrant doing so. I am hoping with with self-massages and strengthening exercises the aches will lessen. 

@Elastigirl Yea I was so focussed on moving forward, I have to constantly remind myself to celebrate the small wins. Baby steps! I have to keep re-reading paragraphs in desk bound to try to get the information to stick as I do get confused, but the book is starting to prove to be very useful. 

////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thank you everyone, I'm thankful for this community and the support. It's final day of challenge and I'll be updating my final progress report and challenge summary soon. I hope you're having a good day! If you're having a bad day, punch a pillow! XD

• Like 4

It's Sunday! And now, the final progress report delivered!

C2W5.thumb.png.e4517a3aa92c74e19e5ff0621e2c206c.png

CONGRATULATIONS ALL ON REACHING THE END OF THE CHALLENGE!

Whether you smashed your goals or struggled through, take pride that you didn't let it out of your mind and crossed the finish line! 

Thus marks the completion of my second challenge at nerd fitness. It has been an interesting 5 weeks! In my first challenge, I felt I grew physically as I started to exercise daily. In this second challenge, it turned out that I grew much more mentally. The confidence I am getting from managing to breakthrough a mental barrier of not wanting to foam roll after many weeks is fantastic! I want to continue to cultivate this mindset of focus and determination, that is something to look into. Even as the various events continue to fight for my attention in my life, it is empowering to have control over the slow but sure growth in my physical health. I will continue to have faith in the systems I am building and celebrate the small wins.

I want to say THANK YOU EVERYONE for your words I received, each comment gave me encouragement, support and learning/reflection opportunities. I am very grateful and every comment has contributed to the success I feel. I’m sorry if I’m not as active in your threads, please pardon this sorta newishbie, I am amazed at how everyone keeps up with everyone else! I will be making my way round to your threads this week to see how everyone wraps up their challenge :)

C2end.thumb.png.c0e229d84fc5e523821fad0d078c5ee0.png

Much love~ //Min

• Like 2