• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aramis

To Challenge, or not to Challenge

To Challenge, or not to Challenge

I was thinking if I should put my thread here this round. Or rather was actively searching for reasons not to. I already had these doubts last round, and it turned out I was... unsatisfied with my Challenge. This was another point in favor of not posting here. I was almost certain this round I will stick with just visiting friends' threads. But then, I browsed through some of your new Challenges and realized I wanted to say so many things, to share my day and be part of this community... the only community I have right now.

Cutting myself out from it for those couple days felt surprisingly bad. I felt so... excluded not having my own thread. Like a trespasser in a camping field.

This realization led me to a conclusion my doubt about posting a challenge wasn't really about setting too easy goals in earlier ones, nor about doing too little in terms of challenging myself. 
Turns out I wanted to do something I'm great at - to go hard on myself, to punish and maim myself for not being good enough. "Good enough" for what?... I really have no clue. I just tend to flog myself for no apparent reason. 

And here I am, posting a Challenge again. I feel a bit (maybe more than a bit... maybe quite a lot) guilty, because it won't be fully fitness-oriented (and NF is primarily about fitness). It won't have a theme (turns out I just can't do "proper" themed one), it won't consist life-changing plot twists. 
It will be some sort of social media for me (and I HATE "mainstream" social media with all my heart and soul). A way to connect with like-minded people, to vent, rant and boast about things no one in my real world gives a crap. 

So, if you want to ride with me, prepare for drama queen-ing, mood shifts and overall hysteria worth of drugged XVIIIc. noble class teenager. Sorry not sorry.

But to make things at least a bit Challenge-ish, here's a list of things on my mind right now:

- get the hell back to my Icelandic lessons (I've left them dead just when I finished Lev.0 course),

- progress with my Simple&Sinister training - gradually replace 16kg TGUs with 24kg, buy 32kg 'bell and start using it,

- define my long term goal, as my current one has been crushed and shattered by global pandemic (have some ideas, need to put the puzzle together),

- fix my sinuses, so I could start running again (for last two weeks I was torturing myself on an elliptical... still better than treadmill :) )

- and finally...

Spoiler

STOP FUCKING MYSELF OVER JUST BECAUSE I'M NOT MEETING MY OWN, STUPIDLY PERFECTIONISTIC YET VAGUE EXPECTATIONS 

So... that'd be all for now. I'm going to curl myself up and try to fight off the guilt of posting half-assed Challenge. Better this way than isolating myself. 

P.S.

If I ever again doubt on posting a Challenge, kick me in the ass and point me to this very post. Thank you very much. (I'm so adding this line to my sig :devilish:)

• Like 4

at times, in the past, I have doubted how important participating here is.  and since I'm think, and easily bored- I have (in the past) left this place and become much less active.

what I find is that it undermines my whole routine.  at first, it doesn't seem like much- but my passion lessens and my notes start to suffer.

once my notes and records become outdated the big slide away from fitness usually happen. (for me my NOTES are the perfect sign of how healthy my whole routine is )

--

anyways I'm glad to see that your discovered the importance of participating.  we're happy to hear of your achievements and quite willing to listen to your frustrations and limitations.

Limitations- everyone has them!

and like you say, in the REAL world, not too many people actually care about fitness related limitations/frustrations. 

regarding perfectionism. practically the hardest obstacle there is!  

keep up the good fight!

• Thanks 1

Today was second S&S training session when I used 24kg bell for most of the work - only last two GetUps done with 16kg :D And halos in warm-up. But it's tempting to try halos with 24kg. Maybe Friday I'll go to the garden and try there - in case I'd need to drop it, it will be safer to drop it on the ground instead of the floor.

On a side note - I think I'll need to buy 32kg cannonball in a month or so. It is crazy... CRAZY!

6 hours ago, TGP said:

what I find is that it undermines my whole routine

I think it's more mental/social thing in my case. I became addicted to you guys :) 

• That's Metal 1

I loved doing S & S it's a great challenge. Glad you did a challenge. I'm not sure about NF being just fitness, seems like most people have at least one non fitness goal, that's one of the reasons I like it here so much

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

not sure about NF being just fitness

No, of course not "just fitness". Even in Level 1 guide about challenges it's stressed to have at least one "level up your life" goal. 

What I meant is - for me "fitness" side of this all became less important than just being here and... socializing. I know it's stupid, but here I can rant and boast about my day (fitness-related or not), and I'm sure there will be someone interested in reading this. In real world... not so sure. Of course I have supportive family, but it's whole different thing. 

2 minutes ago, Salinger said:

32kg jeeez wow!!!

Yeah, my sentiments exactly (minus duck face ;)). That's why I say it's crazy :D 

• Like 1

Just hit a bloody milestone!

10 strict pull-ups in one go, with touching my chest to the bar and everything :o 

Now slow down aramis, don't get too excited, proceed with your GtG pull-ups as usual. You've already showed off, now back to the plan. No fatigue, nice sets of 8. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D 

• That's Metal 2

Okay, I wanted to refine my long term goal. 

I found @Quirky Quinn's Challenge inspiring - idea of virtual mountain hiking is great. I wanted to steal his his method, but adjust it to my own way of training. Instead of going mostly horizontal, I was thinking vertical.

Even did all the calculations - my place lies 348 m above sea level, Mount Everest is 8848 masl so I have nice round number of 8500 vertical meters' distance.

I considered either pull-ups or rope climbing for this:

- with pull-ups, I raise my body for average 65 centimeters (0.65 m) every rep, I do 56 reps a day, 280 a week (pull-ups done Mon-Fri). So I need 30 weeks and two days to reach the distance.

- with rope, I can climb ~2.5 meters up to the beam (the rope is about 4.5 meters, but I need to subtract my height). Going 10 times a day it would take 340 days to climb the distance - a year's effort with 25 non-climbing days (just in case). 

(Yes, I like numbers...)

And then I realized I'm again fitting the goal to what I already do (pull-ups) or I can easily, and without much fuss achieve (rope). DAMN IT! IT'S NOT HOW CHALLENGE SHOULD WORK :angry:!!!

So I'm back to the drawing board... 

There was an idea at one point to focus long-term on strength. I thought it would be badass (and nice in numbers) if I could perform proper S&S routine (100 swings, 10 get-ups) at my 40th birthday with 40kg bell, with 80kg bodyweight. But after some consideration I'm not sure if I want to go so high in weight. 

I thought about parkour training, but again - I need the goal to be realistic, and for that I don't have enough time. 

I had one thing more on my bucket list - handstands. My botched wrists would either thank me for this, or kill me... 

As I said... back to the drawing board. 

Have an awesome day everybody :D 

• Like 3

Ha!  

Your level of hard core never ceases to amaze me Aramis!  

The thought process of,

"I need a new challenge, how about doing enough pull ups that I can climb the equivalent of Mount Everest in half a year?"

"Nope, too easy.."

Looking forward to seeing what comes off your drawing board!  I'm sure it will be awesome!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

The thought process of,

"I need a new challenge, how about doing enough pull ups that I can climb the equivalent of Mount Everest in half a year?"

"Nope, too easy.."

I just spat my tea reading this, choked and coughed for a good minute :D Putting things like this gives whole new perspective, thank you :) 

12 minutes ago, Salinger said:

mega cool ideas

Thanks :) And thanks for the reminder not to use dynamite :) 

Saturday, May 9th

Today I finally had an opportunity to run outside - it was warm, sunny and with slight, warm breeze :) (and our govt is loosening the restrictions - forests and parks are no longer off-limits).

So... we went to the forest, A. took boys for a walk and I did my 5K. To my absolute surprise, I did 27:30 over 5.3km, which gives me pace of 5:12/km (8:21/mi) - only 1 sec/km slower than my best :o

My sinuses seem to be getting better as well. It feels so rejuvenating to easily breathe without all those hammers pounding in my head. 

There was also therapy session, some backyard work, I helped my dad test the hydrophore we plan to use as a water source for washing machine and toilets (to reduce water bills) etc. 

All in all, it was a good day :) 

• Like 2

Thanks, you too :) 

I'm glad I ran yesterday - weather today plays some stupid games. In the morning was overcast but warm, then sun came, then was a bit rainy, then overcast and cold (colder than at dawn)... Phew. One can get dizzy from all this changes :) 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 3:07 PM, aramis said:

Saturday, May 9th

Today I finally had an opportunity to run outside - it was warm, sunny and with slight, warm breeze :) (and our govt is loosening the restrictions - forests and parks are no longer off-limits).

So... we went to the forest, A. took boys for a walk and I did my 5K. To my absolute surprise, I did 27:30 over 5.3km, which gives me pace of 5:12/km (8:21/mi) - only 1 sec/km slower than my best :o

OHHHH

I am SO jealous!  I am trying like mad to get a 27min 5k.  I can only hold that kind of place for a mile or so.... (1-2k)

anyways WOOT! congrats man

that's a great hardcore pace

• Thanks 1

I love Sundays. One wishes to rest, to charge the batteries etc. And then reality strikes - chores, cooking, playing with kids and suddenly BAM!, it's already evening... 

But at least I enjoyed stuff I did. 

For example:

My today's lunch - an experiment with whey protein muffins (they turned out too dry and dense - next time I need to add more butter)

DSC_2011.thumb.JPG.b7eedd77bce7903426fb1867966bd0d6.JPG

Piernik (gingerbread-ish cake) that will be used as my b-day cake

DSC_2007.thumb.JPG.09717d82a8735e43150da31b51290166.JPG

Also some car stuff, lunch food for the week, helping Dad with setting the hydrophore, not letting kids kill each other etc. 

Pretty busy day, but surprisingly mentally laid back. 

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

I am SO jealous!  I am trying like mad to get a 27min 5k. 

[...]

that's a great hardcore pace

Thank you! 

Don't forget I'm 193cm (6'4'') and 78kg (172lb). Basically a moving coat stand. Long legs help with pace because I don't need to move them so vigorously ;)

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Arghh... the weather is killing me. Saturday was beautiful. Sunday was... mixed (hot, sultry and overcast).

Today  (1pm) it's full sun and 25C (77F), yet in the afternoon it will cool down to about 10C (50F) with rain. And tomorrow morning temp will drop below freezing... Enough with this rollercoaster!

• Like 2

It is similar here, cold here today and really windy but sunny...yesterday was freezing, Saturday was 24C... annoying! x

• Like 1

I'll blame it on the weather and a headache it gave me, but...

While doing get-ups, I've lost control of a kettlebell. Nothing bad happened, but I dropped 24kg of cast iron on a concrete floor (covered with carpet). I wonder is there a hole now...? Whole house heard (and probably felt) that THUD! and I got at least three different "Everything okay?" from all over the place :) 

As hilarious that was, I'm bit... uneasy with the sole fact of dropping the weight.

Most probably it was because I got distracted and didn't focus enough on stabilization. Not good. Think what you do aramis!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

P.S.

As it's Monday, and for me THIS is first day of the week (and a challenge), I'm getting my ass back to learning Icelandic. Level 1 Course: Unit#1, Lesson #1. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aramis said:

P.S.

As it's Monday, and for me THIS is first day of the week (and a challenge), I'm getting my ass back to learning Icelandic. Level 1 Course: Unit#1, Lesson #1. 

Yeah, I'm more of a Monday starter also.

Out of interest, why Icelandic?

• Like 1

- Because I fell in love in Iceland and Icelanders after visiting it in winter of 2018. 

- Because IF I ever consider emigration, that would be the destination.

- Because Icelandic is considered hard to learn, and I like challenges.

- Because why not ;)

• Like 2