• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aramis

To Challenge, or not to Challenge

I'm torn.

I would like to explore handstands, but to do so, I'd need to throw away some of my current routine - and first thing that gets on my mind is jump rope. 

I could use this 15 minutes for 5 min wrist mobility, 5 min ab work and 5 min balance work (crow pose progression) for start. I could do it three times a week, so there won't be lots of time between sessions.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND

I don't want to throw away this little bit of cardio I'm left with during workweek. I'm afraid it could negatively impact my running. And having a RangerBrain™ makes me want to do all the things, as good as possible. 

But on the third (?!?!?) hand

Does this 15 min of jump rope twice a week make a real difference? After all, I have other ways of conditioning - 100 one-arm KB swings (~10min) thrice a week for example. Maybe lack of jump rope won't be so bad?

But again...

3 x 10min of KB swings = 30 min, 15min of jumping = 30 min, this adds up to 60min cardio a week. Switching jump rope for handstands would cut the cardio time in half... 

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

STOP OVERTHINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I don't have an answer for you, so here's a question instead. Handstands and skipping fulfill totally different training purposes, so what meets your long term goals better? If you don't have clear long term goals, which would make you happier in 2 months time: better cardio conditioning, or better shoulder strength and overhead stability?

• Like 1

The problem is I don't have any idea what long term goal I could use. Until now (for more than a year) it was debut in OCR this April. But that goal crumbled because obvious reasons. And I was so fixated on this... So now I'm struggling to find what's next. 

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

what meets your long term goals better?

[...]

which would make you happier in 2 months time: better cardio conditioning, or better shoulder strength and overhead stability?

The things you mention are just tools. Both options might support my delayed OCR (maybe overhead stability not so much... but shoulder strength for sure). But OCR has to wait. 

I think I'll try handstands. If I notice decrease in my running, I always can get back to more cardio during workweek. And for now - I'll try this new "toy" :)

• Like 2

Yesterday I had a mentally bad day (easy to see from above posts). I've put an unnecessary pressure on myself to decide whether I should try those handstands or not. And then it became so much of a problem, it covered anything else and put me in decision paralysis... Ugh. I tend to create great problems out of not-so-important things... Just like I don't have enough real problems IRL.

Anyway - got to use my own advice:

19 hours ago, aramis said:

STOP OVERTHINKING!

On 5/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, aramis said:

STOP FUCKING MYSELF OVER

etc., etc.

And on a side note - Crow pose IS scary... I did it couple times (for 2-3 seconds each time) ending with fall back on my feet, until I tipped forward. After that I couldn't get into the balance point anymore. I need bigger pillow fort ahead of me :) 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, aramis said:

- Because I fell in love in Iceland and Icelanders after visiting it in winter of 2018. 

- Because IF I ever consider emigration, that would be the destination.

- Because Icelandic is considered hard to learn, and I like challenges.

- Because why not ;)

Why not indeed!

Iceland is a place I would love to visit but I've never gotten around to.  Good luck learning the language!  

Ég mun heilla þig áfram 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 4:39 PM, aramis said:

I think I'll try handstands. If I notice decrease in my running, I always can get back to more cardio during workweek. And for now - I'll try this new "toy" :)

Sounds good. Maybe that should have been my recommendation in the first place - do what sounds fun!

9 hours ago, aramis said:

And on a side note - Crow pose IS scary... I did it couple times (for 2-3 seconds each time) ending with fall back on my feet, until I tipped forward. After that I couldn't get into the balance point anymore. I need bigger pillow fort ahead of me :) 

Yeah, it's nerve racking having your face that close to the floor!

• Like 1

Tried wall walk yesterday. Got up to the point of having my hands less than 1m (3ft) from the wall. Considering I'm 193cm (6'4'') my feet rested against top of the doorframe. In other words - I was way more vertical than horizontal. And found that breathing upside down is somewhat... strange. Is it because of the whole body tension, or there is some medical science behind this? Or am I just so nervous?

myself, yes. I find that breathing upside down takes a little getting use to.  anyways; WOOT for getting into a good pose.

not sure WHY breathing feels so wonky though... I remember feeling more comfortable as I did it more often; though I've never done a wall walk (or any similar pose) long enough to feel comfortable or make significant progress towards a handstand.

• Like 1

Okay...

I didn't want to share this, but couple days ago it was my 39th b-day (just don't "Happy Birthday" me, I don't enjoy this nowadays).

But!

I think I can get some use out of it. As I just did my S&S routine fully with 24kg 'bell, I can approximate I did this on my b-day (see me boasting? :) 

So... (drum roll)

One year from now, on my 40th birthday I WILL perform S&S routine (with proper form and time required for S&S test) with 40kg 'bell, maintaining my current body weight of 80kg or less. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Quite fine, thanks. Busy (as always) with cooking, tidying, chores etc. But at least I find 15 min here and there to sit for a moment and read couple paragraphs. 

P.S.

Just came back from the forest run. As weather slightly improved, I used this asap and went running (before the next rain).

Didn't push myself, ran about 1 min slower than my best time... but to be honest - why am I pushing myself? Why am I so obsessed with getting better times etc.? Don't I have enough real problems? Maybe I should run with comfortable tempo and just enjoy time with myself, own thoughts and nature? I'm not training for any event, race etc. I run because it's fun, I enjoy it and it may be useful in OCR (if I ever participate in one...)

• Like 3

Hey! Look what I found!

DSC_2014.thumb.JPG.cb6ac262284e27c2ceb6284b1572740b.JPG

Those  are ANCIENT! 

I bought them in 2013 (already used, so dirt cheap), replaced wheels and used only couple times. But now... I think it's time to finally learn to skate :) 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

As I told before - busy as usual :)  

But Sunday afternoon was quite fun - weather improved, so we took kids outside for them to learn a bit skating. And I decided it's maybe the time for me to learn as well. We spent like an hour with kids, then they went for the cartoons, and me and A. went for some more skating time. All in all - great afternoon :D 

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

wear knee pads

Yeah, I wear ones I use in airsoft, so my knees are pretty safe. I also have wrist guards. Only thing I lack is helmet, but I plan to buy one today after work (IF I can find one that fits my noggin). 

• Like 3

skating?

Awesome.  I did some of that many, many MANY years ago. its pretty cool.

you sound like you did pretty good about staying up and keeping balance!

when it came to wheels I preferred the more stable, less elegant roller skates:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3afFjjg6Fib3xMUmsqpXf

anyways, now that you've glided with something like a blade; would you take the next step up (next winter) and try ice skating? its really fun.  a learning curve, definitely.  but if you got rollar blades down you've got a head start!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

would you take the next step up (next winter) and try ice skating?

For sure, if I find a place. I tried ice skating once or twice years back... I remember it was fun - even falling down repeatedly :) 

• Like 1

Yesterday my handstand progression was quite nice - wall walk was all the way up, until my palms were ~30cm from the wall (was that a wall handstand?). I kept the position for about 30 sec., then a bit of rest and rinse-and-repeat for ~5 min. For now, I'll work on longer upside-down times - maybe up to a minute or so, then start to take my feet off the wall. 

And with Crow pose, I think I'm starting to grasp the balance point. Nothing great yet, but being able to hold the pose for couple seconds is nice :) 

• Like 3

On 5/22/2020 at 9:58 AM, aramis said:

was that a wall handstand?

Absolutely! Well done on these man, sounds like you're making a lot of progress.

It might be worth trying to kick up into a handstand against the wall before you try freestanding. I find it better as if you kick up you're facing away from the wall, so if you fall forwards you touch the wall and if you fall backwards you land on your feet. Whereas you if you fall forwards when facing the wall you have to roll out of it, which is harder.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jarric said:

Absolutely! Well done on these man, sounds like you're making a lot of progress.

Thank you! I think I have enough arm/shoulder strength HS. The main problem to overcome here are breathing, balance and fear of falling down. And those (I think) can be worked on faster than gaining actual strength.

Before anything else, I want to start feeling comfortable while wall-handstanding. And work on keeping this position for longer.

7 hours ago, Jarric said:

I find it better as if you kick up you're facing away from the wall, so if you fall forwards you touch the wall and if you fall backwards you land on your feet. Whereas you if you fall forwards when facing the wall you have to roll out of it, which is harder.

I read through this part several times and I'm still not sure what you mean. 

You say this is the way to start kick-ups?

kick-up.thumb.jpg.048947dfe1b94e5c41691e082343296d.jpg

I think so, because if I kick too hard my butt will rest on the wall, and if too weak, I will fall back on my feet. But I'm not entirely sure what kind of kick-up could position me facing a wall in a wall-walk manner. 

10 hours ago, Salinger said:

Are you having a good weekend ?

Yes and No to be honest. 

I had fun skating for an hour (working on speed management/breaking), spent some time with A. and boys flying a kite, had a therapy session with some epiphany moments.

On the other hand - my boss was being a jerk again, had to go to work on Saturday to fix someone else's failures, was struggling (tbh I still am) with my demons...

Quite ambivalent time... but I try as hard as I can to focus on the good things. 

And one another thing - I didn't run this weekend at all. 

I traded 30 min run for an hour of skating at Saturday (and maybe another hour today). Sounds good, isn't it? But my demons whisper in my ears - you failed your plan, you are slipping on your training. 

I really don't know what to do. My fuckin' brain plays against me, and I have no clue how to defend. I KNOW I do lots of good stuff. Why then I FEEL like I'm not good enough? 

• Like 3

read through this part several times and I'm still not sure what you mean. 

Sorry, all I meant was if you're trying free standing handstands I would recommend kicking up into a handstand as in the picture you posted. As opposed to doing a wall walk and then trying to come to freestanding from that position.

My fuckin' brain plays against me, and I have no clue how to defend. I KNOW I do lots of good stuff. Why then I FEEL like I'm not good enough? 

I don't think there's one easy answer to this, but I'd say stick with the therapy, keep reminding yourself that you /are/ good enough, even when you don't feel like it, and know that accepting yourself will be a slow process, but that you will get there in the end.

FWIW trading half an hour of running for an hour of skating sounds like a win to me.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jarric said:

FWIW trading half an hour of running for an hour of skating sounds like a win to me.

This sentence makes me feel better... less like a failure.

Is that means I'm THIS MUCH dependent of external approval of my decisions?

Or am I overthinking it again? 

Thank you anyway :) 

• Like 1

Keep going Aramis!  You’re doing all sorts of cool new stuff this challenge!

I’m enjoying reading your attempts to master the handstand, it’s something I’d like to have a go at in the future but it’ll require building up to!

I don’t think you give yourself enough credit for how hardcore you are with this stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1