• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aramis

To Challenge, or not to Challenge

On 5/12/2020 at 5:39 PM, aramis said:

The problem is I don't have any idea what long term goal I could use. Until now (for more than a year) it was debut in OCR this April. But that goal crumbled because obvious reasons. And I was so fixated on this... So now I'm struggling to find what's next.

I had the same problem. I have been training since august for the Rat Race OCR which was supposed to be 2 weeks ago. When i found out it was cancelled, i just picked a new huge milestone and put it on my radar. Not even sure if it will take place because of the plague, but at least i have a big goal to train for!

On 5/18/2020 at 9:59 AM, Salinger said:

Remember to wear knee pads hahaha 

And a helmet!

On 5/18/2020 at 11:55 AM, aramis said:

I also have wrist guards. Only thing I lack is helmet, but I plan to buy one today after work (IF I can find one that fits my noggin). 

Yes wrist guards are as important as a helmet, glad you are looking out for yourself, if anything i think wrist guards and helmet are mandatory rest is just extra.

22 hours ago, Jarric said:

FWIW trading half an hour of running for an hour of skating sounds like a win to me.

Wholeheartedly agree! Doing something new (which is usually harder on your body) for double the amount of time looks anything but weaseling your way out of things.

13 hours ago, aramis said:

Is that means I'm THIS MUCH dependent of external approval of my decisions?

Aah join the club, i post every run i do to Facebook just to get some extra motivation. I don't think that's a bad thing. I just think of it as my stadium to shine in, and the people who are replying are my fans!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr_Willes said:

When i found out it was cancelled, i just picked a new huge milestone and put it on my radar. Not even sure if it will take place because of the plague, but at least i have a big goal to train for!

Ha! I already have another OCR booked, with same question mark as yours. But the problem is I got so disheartened with the first one, I think I'm afraid to make it my new BIG goal... What if it gets cancelled like the previous one? It's like I subconsciously try to avoid risk of disappointment by not counting for this race to happen at all. 

wrist guards and helmet are mandatory rest is just extra.

I use knee guards as well. Learned to use them the hard way :) On the other hand, I ditch the elbows with no regret - I learned to fall down to the front, or just fold like a knife at any sign of losing balance. This way I don't fall on my back pretty much at all.

Wholeheartedly agree! Doing something new (which is usually harder on your body) for double the amount of time looks anything but weaseling your way out of things.

Yes. But my low esteem gnome points out:

- I sweat less on the wheels, so it's not as much effort

- it's more fun (partially because it's something new) so I probably use it as a toy, not a real training

- it's not in the original plan.

So it's absolutely sure I am doing something wrong. 

Gotta kick the gnome's butt. Or tape his yapper shut somehow. 

2 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I don’t think you give yourself enough credit for how hardcore you are with this stuff!

Thank you QQ :) 

• Like 1

Yesterday HS practice wins:

- Crow pose kept for 6 seconds! Finally I'm getting to balance myself :) 

- Wall HS kept for 50 seconds, then for 40 sec and finally for 30 sec. (rest between reps ~ 2 min)

When I'll be able to hold 3 x 1 min (with reasonable rest times), I will start to learn kick-ups. For now, I'll stay with wall walk, as I'm not aiming for free stand yet.

• Like 1

Wall HS: 60 sec, 30 sec, 50 sec :D 

I made a huge mistake - drank some coffee right before training. My upside-down stomach was not happy...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gawd fuckin' dammit... it's 4pm and I'm still at work. Boss told me I can't leave until the job is finished. Not that I have any influence over it. But I'm the one held responsible for anything here. I wonder if my monthly bonus will be cut because there was power shortage at night and machines didn't worked till morning  shift came...

• Angry on your Behalf 2

7:30pm

Just came home and I'm eating dinner/supper medley.

I'm NOT like training today, no thank you (at least I did my pull-ups during the day). Part of me feels some remorse. The rest of me tells the first part: Bugger off!

• Like 1

Yesterday was quite fine. Spent time with kids, went running, even did my S&S routine when kids were watching TV. And as a cherry on top we watched NASA/SpaceX launch in the evening (9:22pm my time).

All looks good, but... (there's always has to be "but")

The run was... strange. I was happy as a clam when I started. Decided to go easy at first, and do 10K (2 laps of my route). But when I checked the time on the first lap and saw 30 minutes, I suddenly lost all motivation for doing the second lap and just ended the run and came back home. WTF?!?!? Why? I ran slower on purpose so I should expect it, yet still longer 1st lap time made me all "meh"...

And it's not even a bad time. 30 min over 5.3K gives me 5:40/km pace (9:07/mi). Okay, I agree it's slower than my average, but damn...

I'm not training for any running event in the foreseeable future, so why it bothers me so much? And why must I sabotage my own efforts?

Okay, enough of this, because I start to focus on negatives again. And the day was pretty positive after all. 

As I said - we watched the Dragon capsule launch. It was long after boys' bed time, but we decided it is unusual enough to let them stay up late. Younger one was just happy about 1) being involved, 2) looking at moving pictures, but older one was excited so much he shivered all the time. I was surprised by his reaction, but seeing this I'm even more happy we let him watch the launch. This is something he will remember for long time. 

And I plan watching the docking procedure live feed today. It will be around 4:30pm, so no problem :) 

• Like 1

Cooking may be sometimes hilarious...

When recipe calls for ONLY ONE garlic clove

me, garlic lover

Umm... okay?

Spoiler

DSC_2047.thumb.JPG.596d5cdec36462c006bc8d417a99a9d7.JPG

• Like 1

To be honest I don't know what to say. Things are okay-ish, but I feel... not okay. And I don't quite know what's the reason, so I can't do anything about that. Maybe I just need to wait it out.

• Sad 2

Phew... just came back from a run.

Weather wasn't too kind - there was a storm brewing since morning... you know the symptoms - it was hot, sultry and humid. But I decided to run anyway. And not my usual 5K - I ran 10.3K! Managed to get this distance in below an hour, which is a win!

• Wow 1

Just now, aramis said:

Weather wasn't too kind - there was a storm brewing since morning... you know the symptoms - it was hot, sultry and humid. But I decided to run anyway. And not my usual 5K - I ran 10.3K! Managed to get this distance in below an hour, which is a win!

Thats brilliant Aramis!!!!! Well done - amazing ❤️ xx

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aramis said:

I'd have been praying for the rain to start whilst I was out!  I love a run in the rain!

10.3k in under an hour is great pace!  Inspiring again!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I'd have been praying for the rain to start whilst I was out

Same. But the storm hit just after I finished. And again in the evening, with hail etc. Good it was not bigger than 1cm in diameter, else it would make some serious damage. 

1 hour ago, Quirky Quinn said:

10.3k in under an hour is great pace!

It's slower than my first 10K, but not much. On March 1st I did 10.6K with avg 5:36/km, and this time was 5:46/km. Considering the weather and my overall lack of motivation for running lately I still take it as a big WIN!

• Like 3

Argh! My arms are spaghetti! 

Just did two sets of 10 push-ups. Not that much, right? 

WRONG!

It was done in full firefighting suit (incl. helmet) and with SCBA on my back... I'd say additional 20-25 kg.  But hey, that was for a good cause - an internet challenge to raise money for some super expensive medicine some kid needs. Later I may (or may not) link the actual video of our fire unit pumping :) 

• Like 3

Okay, first - video:

https://pl-pl.facebook.com/ospsiemonia/videos/1357791864414938/

Thursday was free-from-work day (Corpus Christi), I took one day leave for Friday so I was able to take my sis and drive 250km to her home. She asked for help with some rearrangement, plus she needed to take some summer clothes to our place, as it looks like she will stay with us till September. 

Because of this I missed some training, but I doubt I would be able to do any of it anyway. Why? Wednesday's push-ups called and reminded me what DOMS are :o I woke up on Friday and wasn't able to move my arms without chest/pecks pain :D To fight this I did some push-ups, to keep my back awake did some chin-ups. And lots of furniture dissassembly and assembly back in other config (my sis is great fan of Ikea stuff ;) ).

Today I should run, but it's way too hot - it's over 30*C (86*F). Maybe I will go for some skating later in the evening or tomorrow. But now I'm just too tired from driving back. Thank God/gods/Old Ones I have working A/C in my car...

• Like 1