Chemgeek reviews kata and grows things

Soooo I have been cleared to work some slow Kata! Yaay! This challenge is all about refreshing my martial arts I haven't been able to work at all in 2 months, garden stuff & fermentation experiments.

Kata Inventory

* Week 1: Pinan (aka Heian) series

* Week 2 Wan series +1 (Wan Shu, Wan Do & Wan Kwan, plus Koshonku Dai) 

* Week 3: Patsai Series (Motsumura Patsai, Patsai Sho & Patsai Dai) 

* Week 4: Others (Nahanshi series, Ji series, Ni Pai Po, Oyadomari, etc)

* Questions to answer: what do I still have a handle on, what needs urgent sequence refresher, what needs leaving to be picked up once I can meet with Sensei?

*Intentionally I am leaving the non-core Kata for later, along with those requiring challenging motions like high kicks and jumps. I can accept if I need to rebuild my nidan and planned sandan Kata later but as a nidan I can't let my Shodan requirements fall away.

Rebuilding the Basics

* Week 1: Stances

* Week 2: Blocks

* Week 3: Punches & Strikes

* Week 4: Kicks

* Goals: get my body able to complete key motions at least at half speed

Growing & Building

* Week 1: time to build the raised beds!

* Week 2: Hardening off starter plants, plant cold hardy plants, etc

* Week 3: prep front yard for creeping thyme & jenny & move indoor plants to deck full time

* Week 4: plant front yard & transplant starters to beds.

Fermentation

* Week 1: make Greek style yogurt & bread with the whey (getting tired of unstrained yogurt)

* Week 2: make a sourdough starter

* Week 3: try making sourdough

* Week 4: start batch 1 of sauerkraut, research cheese making

• Like 2

2 things happened over the past few days:

1: I discovered apparently my hair is very wavy/slightly curly. Between living in a region where curly hair is uncommon & almost nobody knows how to cut it or care for it and having been taught hair care by my mom who has board-straight hair which doesn't need the same treatment as wavy/curly hair, that's why it's usually frizz when it gets longer than "very short". Shutdown is teaching me all kinds of new things. 

2, saw my rt, who thinks my breathing issues are a symptom of a bigger issue because my asthma has never really acted like "normal" asthma. When I am not severely symptomatic, my lung function is stellar ("by the numbers" I look well controlled), but I have a symptom load more in line with an uncontrolled moderate to severe asthmatic & I am prone to sudden attacks of breathing issues, and my airways have so much baseline twitchiness and irritation it's hard for me to do pfts without coughing or to exercise outside. She's suspicious that I might actually be a mild or moderate asthmatic (I do have real asthma but probably not as bad as some have thought) with autoimmune or allergy issues that are causing symptoms of uncontrolled asthma (incl bronchospasm which is why Ventolin helps). She wants me to change up a few of my allergy treatment things and see if it helps & also wants to see about maybe referring me to a local pulmonologist who specializes in weird cases like mine. One thing she brought up in particular was gut issues & family history of celiac (both of which I actually have) so... Neat. I will be annoyed but also relieved if it does turn out to be celiac because that could explain most of the issues I had as a kid. Annoyed because I specifically asked my ex PCP about celiac given my mom has it a decade ago. Relieved because celiac or food/uncontrolled allergy or MCAS (the three ideas the rt threw out) could all explain almost all or even all of my breathing/hives/allergy/sinus/gut health issues & they're all treatable. This is the first time I have had a medical professional look over everything and be all, "you don't have 9 different issues, those are probably all symptoms of ONE issue so let's see what explains it all."

• Like 2

Speaking of wavy hair products, Elf has curly hair and recently switched to the Coconut Curls brand of shampoo, conditioner and styling cream. They really like them.

I agree that having one autoimmune issue causing 9 symptoms makes a lot more sense than all unrelated issues. Please let us know what you discover. Elf has the asthma, lactose intolerance and allergies set. If you find something that works for you, maybe it will work for them too.

• Like 1

I use Garnier's curl stuff.

I hear you on being a person with curly hair taught to care for it by a person with straight hair. My hair was an utter disaster until I learned to use a comb on it, not a brush.

Autoimmune things like celiac do make having other autoimmune things more likely, especially lactose intolerance. I'm also suspecting that a genetic link between celiac and less dramatic wheat intolerances exists, purely anecdotally.

• Like 1

I have allergies, asthma, eczema, cholinergic hives, cold hives, sometimes hives for no reason, gerd symptoms (some months I go through a full package of extra strength Tums in a month), gut issues (stomach pain that feels like my guts are burning after I eat sometimes, bloating, and, without TMI, "other issues"),  hypermobility and chronic rhinosinusitis. I have a history of iron deficiency (before I was a blood donor even), idiopathic severe abdominal pain attacks (worse than burning guts) and idiopathic vitamin B12 deficiency. I thankfully don't appear to get lactose intolerance but yeah.

The only thing not potentially explainable by something autoimmune is hypermobility.

On the curly hair front: what combs do you use? Because my hair is fine when I use combs I have usually damaged my hair.

You know, just gonna put out there that shaving your head is totally an option. There is life after hair. :D

Anyway, sorry to hear about the flat. Hope the past few days haven't been too terrible as far as walking and movement stuffs go. Also, as someone who had an underlying autoimmune condition that tied to a lot of things, I hope it turns out that you just have one thing that, being treated, will resolve many things.

I have been informed by my sister who has autoimmune baldness (alopecia) if I don't take care of my hair she'll want to murder me so for the sake of family peace I will keep it. 

Also yes I hope we can sort it out. Nothing is too severe but it's all just... A lot. It significantly impacts my quality of life on a daily basis.

It's now chin length in areas because my hair grows like a weed. :P

• Like 1
On 5/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, chemgeek said:

On the curly hair front: what combs do you use? Because my hair is fine when I use combs I have usually damaged my hair.

Wide-tooth combs. Basically, I started listening less to white people about hair and more to black people. My hair's not that kinky, but it definitely prefers a little extra moisture and some wide-tooth comb action. I think most curly hair does.

• Like 1

So swapped out week 1 and 4 on fermentations because a local farm had cabbage on sale. Finishing my Pinan series inventory today, tomorrow on the long weekend I will get a start on the next series. As for building raised beds, that's on hold one more week because weather (snow) delayed my hardening off so I will harden off this week and make the beds next week.

I also am going to make bread today because bread is healthy and then I will roast a chicken for dinner, then make chicken stock with the carcass (sometimes growing up raised by someone who grew up on a farm far below the poverty line gives useful skills, among them being I actually know how to make chicken stock from scratch). 

• Like 1

Bread & roast chicken done yesterday, stock made overnight. Picked out the bones and herbs today. Will make soup with the stock tonight. (Home made chicken stock is so much better than store bought but it's time consuming to make).

• Like 2

Wasn't able to make it to the store in time. I might just say heck with it and order it by delivery. Making it to the store when the store closes at 6 and I don't get off work till 5:30 and have uncertain access to transport (to save money my partner is driving me to & from work but that means my movement is on someone else's timeline not mine) is a challenge.

• Like 1

Me 2 days ago: Man physio exercises are super boring but my back has been fine the past few days - wonder if I can get away without it?

Me yesterday: Hey my back is still ok! Time to help move printers!

Me today: Ow. Yep, still need physio exercises.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, chemgeek said:

Me 2 days ago: Man physio exercises are super boring but my back has been fine the past few days - wonder if I can get away without it?

Call me out by name next time why don't you. :D

• Haha 1

Did physio walk run. Caused some pain, not as much as feared but wasn't exactly pleasant either. OTOH now I am back to normal and feeling the fantastic feeling of pleasantly tired that comes of a good cardio workout so yay for that. Haven't felt that in a while & I missed it. 

I will now be good & stretch before the shower so I don't end up wondering why I am all stiff tomorrow 😛

• Like 2
21 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Hehe, this is me and my yoga right now. 

• Like 1
On 5/20/2020 at 7:41 AM, chemgeek said:

Wasn't able to make it to the store in time. I might just say heck with it and order it by delivery. Making it to the store when the store closes at 6 and I don't get off work till 5:30 and have uncertain access to transport (to save money my partner is driving me to & from work but that means my movement is on someone else's timeline not mine) is a challenge.

I was trying to get to the hardware store before 7pm a few days ago to pick up my mower with newly sharpened blades. Nope, they close at 6:00pm now.

I ended up going over my lunch hour yesterday. On the plus side, I remembered to also get a specialty light bulb and new drain tubing for my furnace. All errands are more challenging these days.

• Like 1

Sometimes all you need to get excited about food is to change up how you prep it. Yesterday I wasn't really feeling anything I had in stock at home until I discovered that I could make oyakodon at home with the ingredients I had on hand. So I made oyakodon. New to me dish gave me the motivation to make it and it actually turns out to be a good meal for protein, especially if (as I was) you're running a bit low on calories & protein that day for your food intake. It's tasty, too. :)

edit to add: my back is okay today! Running didn't aggravate it except in the moment. Yay!

Today's goals: 

1, buy milk

2, buy edging in person

3, buy a hand tiller & new lawnmower

4, set up at least 1 raised bed

5, mow lawn in prep for replanting. 

Only issue: I used new hair stuff today (am trying different things till I find one that manages to make my mane not look like a stereotypical mad scientist without spending too much time cajoling it into shape). It passed a spot test but I am apparently allergic anyway judging by the hives on my arms, back, and face (and feels like scalp as well). I washed it out with safe shampoo but still have a rash SOOO I am going to wait for my antihistamine to take effect so I don't alarm people by going out with a red and blotchy face and a mild asthma cough. I might need to postpone the errands till next week depending on whether my non-drowsy antihistamine clears things up enough. Aggravating, but even if I know my vaugely-sick appearance is due to an allergic reaction, others don't. 

3 hours ago, chemgeek said:

I am going to wait for my antihistamine to take effect so I don't alarm people by going out with a red and blotchy face and a mild asthma cough. I might need to postpone the errands till next week depending on whether my non-drowsy antihistamine clears things up enough. Aggravating, but even if I know my vaugely-sick appearance is due to an allergic reaction, others don't. 

I have asthma that gets worse from pollen, and the most noticeable symptom is a persistent cough. I feel your pain.

• Like 1

Weekend verdict 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Forward:

1. I got the garden supplies

2. I made sauerkraut successfully

3. I unpacked the garden supplies

4. I did my run

Back:

1. I aggravated my back lifting mulch

2. My _(-)$! lawnmower is broken & now I need to source a replacement carburetor, primer valve & air filter (that's the 3 most common causes, they all look fairly worn so frigit I will replace them all and hopefully it'll be good for a few more years.)

• Like 1