• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chickie.monkey

Chickie.Monkey: I Don't Know

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a224d4356a75582f946b1a5452a396ebbf9861931&rid=giphy.gif

I’m chugging along pretty well. For the most part, I’m probably going to leave things as is since they are working. I had planned to get with my coach before I created my challenge to go over my nutrition goals/food and discuss some new workouts, but we both got hit in the latest round of storms and are trying to pry trees off our houses and figure out what part of town our roofs have gone to. 

giphy.gif

I will come back and update once we finally get together.

Goals are as follows:

6Dpe.gif

Food: 

• Track Food Every Day, Stay Under Calorie Goal (1466)
  • Eat Mindfully
  • ~Attempt~ to meet macro goals set out by coach
    • Protein: 196g
    • Carbs: 85g
    • Fat: 38g

The macro thing is new to me. I have been trying to meet my protein goal, which, HOW  does anyone get that much protein and not eat less than 5 million calories?! The others, I haven’t been messing with too much. I’m going to start paying attention to them and then see if I can succeed in not going over.

giphy.gif

Fitness:

• Move: 2 - 3 times a week
  • Strength Training: 3 times a week
  • Stretch: Everyday
    • Always before/after moving/strength training
    • Periodically through the day 
    • Before I get out of bed/Before I go to sleep 

Move is anything cardio or cardio-like. Most likely it will be Beat Saber because I’m having a blast being really bad at it. Strength training workouts are set by my coach. I just do what I’m told (sometimes while complaining). 

giphy.gif

Life:

• Complete Weekly Chores
  • Finish Reading New Book
  • Try Some Socialness - Maybe actually visit other people’s threads and maybe even say something
  • Like 3

LOL.    Fancy smancy!    You did awesome last time without anything super fancy!

Do some chores
Own my food.
Nerd Check In
Track Food

Keep Beat Sabering

No mindless junk food.

Only game after other stuff

Walk when its nice.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

LOL.    Fancy smancy!    You did awesome last time without anything super fancy!

Do some chores
Own my food.
Nerd Check In
Track Food

Keep Beat Sabering

No mindless junk food.

Only game after other stuff

Walk when its nice.

giphy.gif

SERIOUSLY?! How do you do that?! I’m still thinking and hoping that I get an “OH! That would be neat!” moment. :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chickie.monkey said:

SERIOUSLY?! How do you do that?!

I think it comes from being a habitual pun artist.  I like words, and word smithing?  And things like that.  You should see my D&D riddles lol! 😛

• Like 1

Since this is week 0, I’ve been taking easy. In addition, we got hammered with more bad storms and I’ve had to do more adulting in the last week than I have in (maybe) ever. 

We spent Sunday, Monday, and part of Tuesday pretending we were in Little house on the Prairie. Luckily, no one died of dysentery before the power came back on.
giphy.gif

Since then, I’ve been trying to get rid of this
f7cb52ee03a796a016b7c59a23830c60.jpg

Which, as luck would have it, a group of disaster relief volunteers showed up today, sawed that thing up, and took it away. :o I had gotten several quotes, the cheapest being $3k. I’ve done lots of volunteering, but it never occurred to me I would be the one to need the help one day. I now know why people cry and insist on hugging us. But I didn’t hug anyone because distancing.

With that gone, we can see how badly our fence was smashed.
b663f802874d9cf5b256c6e9b3b4aaa7.jpg

In another stroke of luck, the yard man came today (a day early) and said he’d repair it for a quarter of what our insurance is giving us to cover it. Yay!

Finally, our roof blew away (almost literally), so we have to get a brand new one. Thank goodness for insurance is all I can say.

And then....

Yesterday I tried a resistance band workout my coach set up for me. Turns out I don’t know how to use them right. I’m just going to end the story there.
giphy.gif
Going to need to get with her for a how-to. In my defense, I’ve never used them before and I have no coordination. I will just do Beat Saber instead.

Not responsible for typos, missed punctuation, or other pocket computer errors.

• Like 1

Week 0 still going well.

Played some Beat Saber on Friday and had a zoom get together with some friends. We all live in different parts of the country, but always meet up around this time of year and hang out for a weekend or so. Thank goodness for the interwebs.

Yesterday my wife and I cleaned up the fence. Today will be a rest day since I can’t move. :D

6c711ae71f26c730e39f21c6e1b325c8.jpg

I keep seeing that circle thing in the back and think a sad, or bashful, bear is sitting at the edge of your lawn.  What is it?  LOL      Outside clean up time is definitely a work out, and a proper rest day needs to happen after it!  Good job!

Sorry the weather keeps crapping on you guys.  :( But very glad you are okay and doing alright through it.

23 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I keep seeing that circle thing in the back and think a sad, or bashful, bear is sitting at the edge of your lawn.  What is it?  LOL      Outside clean up time is definitely a work out, and a proper rest day needs to happen after it!  Good job!

Sorry the weather keeps crapping on you guys.  :( But very glad you are okay and doing alright through it.

That's actually what's left of the tree that fell on our fence. It was a massive tree; the trunk/roots are down in the bottom of the ravine. 

Day 1/Week 1 Update

Unsupportive spouse venting below:

Spoiler

My coach put together a nutrition plan that has cut my calorie goal significantly. It's definitely going to take a minute to adjust and get used to planning around. With that said, I HAD my day planned out. My wife asked if I wanted lunch from our favorite coffee shop. I asked her what we were having for dinner (because calorie limit). We settled on salmon for dinner, which meant I could have lunch from said coffee shop. Fast Forward to dinner: I did my strength workout while she "made" dinner. When dinner came out, it was Pot Pies and not salmon, which put me way over my calorie limit. Needless to say, while cooking is supposed to be her responsibility, I'm going to start making my own food. She can partake if she wants, but this is not the first time she's done this to me and I'm done.

Food:

Ate mindfully/No mindless snacking

Calories +284

Protein -134

Carbs +84

Fat +54

Fitness:

Strength Training - Mostly resistance bands, getting better at using them, but still awkward

Stretching - Stretched morning, noon, and night, plus many times in between including before/after workout. One of the benefits of being old and out of shape is that I'm always hurting and therefore reminded to stretch because it feels soooooooo good.

Life:

No chores on the todo list yesterday

Read several chapters

I have looked at several threads and even said something on a couple (okay mainly people I already know but it's something)

1 hour ago, chickie.monkey said:

That's actually what's left of the tree that fell on our fence. It was a massive tree; the trunk/roots are down in the bottom of the ravine. 

Oh wow!  That's nuts.    As a lover of outdoor work and a storm nerd, (because I am terrified of severe weather, I know lots about it  haha), could I request a close up picture of that stump and stuff?  Pleeaaaase? :D

Sorry about the dinner snafu.     If I might add some angles to consider (as someone who sometimes rage tantrums over her calories/tracking)...?

You're adjusting to these goals and so it can put some extra strain onto things.   Especially food related things.  

If your housemates aren't on the same plan (and don't care about said plans) it makes it really hard to finagle the food set ups.

Your plan to do your own food is solid!  But... (everyone has a big butt Dottie, what's your big but?)  That adds another new thing/change to your plate while you are adjusting to the first batch of shifts.   So, be gentle on yourself if it doesn't pull all together right away.

Not sure this is an option, but once the freshness of the old switch-er-roo frustration is over, talk to her about food plans and offer to help her cook the plan you agree on, or ask her for help in cooking what *you* need to eat?

I too live in a house that is counterproductive to food health.    I even sometimes get comments like, "Tacos again?  How many calories are in those?"  in a snotty tone...  (Because I weigh my meat and my potato at dinner and stuff so I can track accurately.)   It's super hard.    I try to be more duck like, (let the water roll off my feathers) than .... I can't think of an animal that does super poorly when wet....?  Maybe Shetland Sheepdog??  LOL    

I hope it all smooths out for ya!  But remember, You are worth every ounce of effort you're putting into things.   But you're also worth every ounce of love and awesomeness just as you are right now too!  

22 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Oh wow!  That's nuts.    As a lover of outdoor work and a storm nerd, (because I am terrified of severe weather, I know lots about it  haha), could I request a close up picture of that stump and stuff?  Pleeaaaase? :D

I will get you one! I was going to get one and post with the reply, but it's been raining. Once it stops, I'll go get it for you.

Sorry about the dinner snafu.     If I might add some angles to consider (as someone who sometimes rage tantrums over her calories/tracking)...?

You're adjusting to these goals and so it can put some extra strain onto things.   Especially food related things.  

If your housemates aren't on the same plan (and don't care about said plans) it makes it really hard to finagle the food set ups.

Your plan to do your own food is solid!  But... (everyone has a big butt Dottie, what's your big but?)  That adds another new thing/change to your plate while you are adjusting to the first batch of shifts.   So, be gentle on yourself if it doesn't pull all together right away.

Not sure this is an option, but once the freshness of the old switch-er-roo frustration is over, talk to her about food plans and offer to help her cook the plan you agree on, or ask her for help in cooking what *you* need to eat?

I HATE TRACKING!!! I can totally relate to the rage tantrums. With the major drop in calories, I'm having a hard time figuring out what/how much to eat. Eating shouldn't be so much work or include so much math. Ironically my coach's business name is Math and Macros LOL. Maybe I should just have her do all the math and macros. Bahahaha. I miss the days of Paleo. I did well on that. It was easy and straight forward. But coach says I have to track and since she knows more than I do, I am doing what she tells me to do. Even if I hate it. 

I too live in a house that is counterproductive to food health.    I even sometimes get comments like, "Tacos again?  How many calories are in those?"  in a snotty tone...  (Because I weigh my meat and my potato at dinner and stuff so I can track accurately.)   It's super hard.    I try to be more duck like, (let the water roll off my feathers) than .... I can't think of an animal that does super poorly when wet....?  Maybe Shetland Sheepdog??  LOL    

When I ordered a food scale, there were several snide comments from her. And she always has something to say when I'm weighing out my meat. My reply is usually I don't enjoy this at all, but since I want to be healthy, this is what I've told to do, so here I am. 

I'm a Slytherin. I have a goal, and I'm going get there eventually. I'm not going to let anyone/anything get in my way.  :) 

Day 2/Week1

Food:

Ate mindfully/No mindless snacking

Calories +200 

Protein -96

Carbs +107

Fat +29

Fitness:

Moved - 40 minutes of Beat Saber. I wish there were more customization options on the PS4. Like, all I want to do is order my songs so I don't have to stop and jump around. But also still trying to figure out how everything works. I apparently went hard because my knee is KILLING me (worse than usual). Going to ice it today and have appt with Chiropractor tomorrow. 

Stretching - Stretched morning, noon, and night, plus many times in between including before/after workout. One of the benefits of being old and out of shape is that I'm always hurting and therefore reminded to stretch because it feels soooooooo good.

Life:

Chores complete

Read several chapters 

Did some socials

5 hours ago, chickie.monkey said:

I'm a Slytherin. I have a goal, and I'm going get there eventually. I'm not going to let anyone/anything get in my way. 

YES!  Own it girl!     So proud of you on this statement.   

[For me, I came to realize that most of my snide commentators jabs come from a place of hating that he can't do what I do, or be in the shape I am in, and so it's an insecurity/hurt thing.  Doesn't make it right, but it lets me take it with bigger grains of salt.]

I see your protein lags.  Oh girl, I know those feels!    I cannot get enough of it in my life haha.    Also, as I read about your math and macros, I imagined that I was training with Katee, and said to myself, If she can be that disciplined for a goal, so can I!  Because I picked my dang internet name off her character!! HAH!  (I watched the whole thing and omg I love it so much.  I love HER so much!  When she burped I was like ... marry me!)

18 hours ago, Starpuck said:

YES!  Own it girl!     So proud of you on this statement.   

[For me, I came to realize that most of my snide commentators jabs come from a place of hating that he can't do what I do, or be in the shape I am in, and so it's an insecurity/hurt thing.  Doesn't make it right, but it lets me take it with bigger grains of salt.]

Yes! I get this distinct feeling often. Sometimes she's very supportive and discourages me from wanting to make bad food choices, and sometimes it's a snide comment or a passive aggressive attempt to derail me. Hence my return to NF for the support I need (even if it's just you hahaha).

18 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I see your protein lags.  Oh girl, I know those feels!    I cannot get enough of it in my life haha.    Also, as I read about your math and macros, I imagined that I was training with Katee, and said to myself, If she can be that disciplined for a goal, so can I!  Because I picked my dang internet name off her character!! HAH!  (I watched the whole thing and omg I love it so much.  I love HER so much!  When she burped I was like ... marry me!)

I honestly don't understand how to get enough protein. Especially without eating a million calories. 

That video gave me so much inspiration. You should totally deep dive into her youtube channel. She does a video on her Spartan training/race which is, of course, bad freaking ass. I just wish I had someone like Steve to tell me what to eat when so I didn't have to think  obsess on it.

• Like 1

Day 2/Week1

Food:

I lost my mind at dinner. Tracking is taking a toll on my mental health. Part of it is I suck at math, like when serving size of green beans is 1/3 cup and there are 3.5 servings and I split the bag with my wife, what is my portion? Purple, right? 

Xena Rage GIF | Gfycat

I ended up rage eating cookies, and while I did track every bit of it, I'm just going to leave it here as +All The Things

But:

EPYJ-4CX4AA0IpF?format=jpg&name=small

Fitness:

Strength Training - Done. Back and biceps. Getting better with the resistance bands(?) 

StretchingDone. Plus heat for back and ice on knee. Getting old is fun.

Life:

Chores complete

Did not read 

Did a little bit of social

• Like 1

Aaaahhhh the portion math kills me!    Example: Ice cream tub.   Serving size 2/3c = 180 calories.   2/3c (87g) ok.  Cool.  I'll way it on my scale but I want more like 1.5 cups of ice cream... so that's .... Um.  Uh.     PURPLE!  Then!  I scan the bar code for MFP and it comes up 1/2 c serving.  WUT TEH FAK!         

5ad06c92973fb4e1bc5f139c4480d100.gif

This is why I eat the same food all the time, and love left overs.   The math is already done bwuahaha!

The frustration is normal.   Try to remind yourself of that, and give yourself time to adjust.   If it would help, I could link you to my MyFitnessPal thing and you can look at some of the foods I log on the daily for ideas?

Hang in there girl!

This is why I eat the same food all the time, and love left overs.   The math is already done bwuahaha!

The frustration is normal.   Try to remind yourself of that, and give yourself time to adjust.   If it would help, I could link you to my MyFitnessPal thing and you can look at some of the foods I log on the daily for ideas?

Hang in there girl!

I don’t mind leftovers. They are quick and easy! That’s just it. I need to get together some “math already done” meals and plan things out. If you have things to share, I would love to see them! That would be so helpful. I’ll hit you up elsewhere for MFP info.

Update for Days 4 and 5

Food is still crap. I’m logging everything, but eating all the horrible, terrible, no good things.

Also, shark week is coming

Also I quit smoking (again). Yep, I totally fell off the wagon. This has truly been a hard time to quit with emotions running so high. I honestly don’t know if I’m going to make it. I’m fekking miserable. But I’m also crazy and like pain, so it might work out.

f32ddb46275e466f357dc353d94ff92f.jpg

Fitness:
Move - 45 min of Beat Saber. I found out there was a 30 day challenge (which is over now), but I thought I’d use it for my workouts. I got to day 3 and just NO. Maybe I’m too wide at the moment to do one armed songs? None the less, it’s still fun to try.
Strength Training - Done. Legs and shoulders. Legs are so hard for me, especially squats. I’ve barely graduated from sit down in chair and stand back up to touch and go (no weigh but my own, which is a lot). It’s never been this hard before or have my knees been in such bad shape. It’s frustrating and I hate it. I keep chugging on in hopes that it will get better.
Stretching - Done. Talked my chiropractor about the niggle in my knee. He gave me some extra stretches to do. I’ll be concentrating on those, especially because they should help with the rant above.

Life:
Chores complete
Read several chapters. I’m going to be done with this book soon.
Not doing well with this. Will try to fix it today.
  • Like 1

One armed songs are not my friend either.   Also short!   LOL  The world hates short people hehe. ;)    Good luck on the smoking.  

Sorry the knees are being butts.    Work those stretches and think positively.

The fact you keep working on the smoking is a testament of your awesomeness.  Working on it at all, is a win!   I'm proud of you.

Hey, 10 days smoke free (almost 11!) is nothing to sneeze at! It took me 4 tries before my "I'm quitting! really!" stuck for good - and almost 9 years later, I still get a craving about 3 or April 4 times a year. They're so much easier to ignore now though. You can do it! :) One day at a time - or hour, or minute, or whatever you can manage. I literally counted seconds when my cravings were the worst. We all believe in you!

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 11:33 AM, Starpuck said:

One armed songs are not my friend either.   Also short!   LOL  The world hates short people hehe. ;)    Good luck on the smoking.  

Sorry the knees are being butts.    Work those stretches and think positively.

The fact you keep working on the smoking is a testament of your awesomeness.  Working on it at all, is a win!   I'm proud of you.

I didn't think about the short thing being an issue, but, yeah! There's one in particular that's a crossover, but the left arm is a high reach and the right is low. Just HOW?! LOL

On 5/16/2020 at 4:12 PM, kcaleece said:

Hey, 10 days smoke free (almost 11!) is nothing to sneeze at! It took me 4 tries before my "I'm quitting! really!" stuck for good - and almost 9 years later, I still get a craving about 3 or April 4 times a year. They're so much easier to ignore now though. You can do it! :) One day at a time - or hour, or minute, or whatever you can manage. I literally counted seconds when my cravings were the worst. We all believe in you!

Thank you for the encouragement! The last couple of days have been tough, but I'm hanging in. I'm at the point where I've just accepted life is going to suck for a while LOL It's actually made the misery of cravings more bearable somehow.

Week 1 Update

Food: 

This was a complete disaster and absolutely no good for my mental health. Tracking is hard for me because there's so much estimating and not a lot of precision. And also maths. I suck at math. I know it doesn't have to be spot on, but I might be a bit OCD thorough. :D 

I think for now, I'm going to just focus on getting protein and eating well. I'll still track what I eat and aim to stay within my calorie goal, but not playing with the other macros.

Fitness:

• Move: 2/2-3
  • Strength Training:  3/3
  • Stretch: All the stretching

Life:

Complete Weekly Chores: Done

Finish Reading New Book: Finished it yesterday. Should be getting my new book club book any day now.

Try Some Socialness - Need to work on this

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chickie.monkey said:

just focus on getting protein and eating well

Great plan!  Seriously.  You're taking a goal that is currently overwhelming and breaking it down into smaller bite size goals.   Oh wait, it's bad to use that analogy when we're talking about food tracking, isn't it?

You had a really solid week!    

Stop.  Read that again outloud, but replace you, with I.  ;) 

Seriously Chickie.  You had a good week.  You saw areas that were tough and put in a new plan to focus on them.  Perfect!

Job well done, seriously!!

(And I totally watched Katee's Cryotherapy video and was just dying.  She is so awesome.  So down to earth.  Talking about her ... odd question hahah!) 

Thank you for getting me hooked on those.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:42 PM, Starpuck said:

Great plan!  Seriously.  You're taking a goal that is currently overwhelming and breaking it down into smaller bite size goals.   Oh wait, it's bad to use that analogy when we're talking about food tracking, isn't it?

You had a really solid week!    

Stop.  Read that again outloud, but replace you, with I.  ;) 

Seriously Chickie.  You had a good week.  You saw areas that were tough and put in a new plan to focus on them.  Perfect!

Job well done, seriously!!

(And I totally watched Katee's Cryotherapy video and was just dying.  She is so awesome.  So down to earth.  Talking about her ... odd question hahah!) 

Thank you for getting me hooked on those.

Why, thank you! 

I still haven't watched that. I'm going to watch it as soon as I post this! Have you checked out the other videos? She's posted some workouts that are crazy! I can't do them, I tried LOL, but you could. You could say you worked out with Katee! Also, her IG content is super entertaining (just another lesson in 'what is this IG thing?' for you. ;) )

Update - Last Couple of Days:

What day is it even? 

Food: 

• Mindful Eating Yes
  • Under Calories Yep
  • Protein No -75, -147 I didn't eat a whole lot yesterday. It wasn't intentional. My wife brought me a power bowl for lunch from our favorite coffee place, but it was gross, so I didn't eat it. I meant to warm up some lunch (that I had pre prepped), but got busy with work and forgot. Then I was going to have a protein shake after my Beat Saber session, but wifey had started dinner, and then it was time for bed. And then I woke up at 6am STARVING and I hate breakfast. So oops.

Fitness:

• Move: Yes - 45 minutes of Beat Saber I wish there was a way to order the playlist so I could just build a workout without having to sort through songs to decide what to do next. 
  • Strength Training:  Yup - Chest and Triceps with a 20 minute Beat Saber chill cool down (maybe not the best idea. Ouch) 
  • Stretch: All the stretching Knee is feeling better. It didn't bother me near as much while playing as it usually does. It is unhappy this morning, but it usually is first thing until I've moved around a bit and stretched several times. The joys of being an old.

Life:

• Complete Weekly Chores: No I am behind on these. Will catch up today
  • Finish Reading New Book: Got my new book, but picked a book a had been reading before I started reading my last book. Going to finish that book. Yeah.....
  • Try Some Socialness - Meh

• Like 1

You might have to be my IG mentor!    Master Chickie, tell me how to use the force!  Er, Instagram!

I haven't watched her other stuff yet, but I intend to slowly roll through her content!   So glad you got me hooked on that.

So you got lots of awesomeness in that update! 

The protein?  Hahaha, don't stress on it.  I can't even get that one under the right macro control!  ¯\_(ツ)_/

Chores, sometimes just have to be put aside.  Just buckle down on that going forward. 

You're doing really great!

• Like 1

Week 2 Update:

It's only week 2?

Food: 

• Mindful Eating Not Really
  • Under Calories Not Really
  • Protein No

Fitness:

• Move: 3/3  - 2 50 min cardio, 1 20 min chill post strength workout
  • Strength Training:  2/3 Had a migraine all weekend, so no 3rd weekend

Life:

• Complete Weekly Chores: Done
  • Finish Reading New Book: Not much reading
  • Try Some Socialness - Meh

I'm not doing well with food. I spent the whole weekend plus eating anything and everything that is counterproductive to my goals. I don't know what that's about, but I'm hoping I can shut my mouth this week.

My gym has opened back up this week. While I'm super excited to cuddle a barbell, I'm also apprehensive to jump into the cesspool. 

Well, you're doing great with the non food things for now, so take the wins there girl.  Maybe you just didn't have the bandwidth to navigate ALL the goals this week- but you also didn't let that lower upload speed stop you from doing the other things.  That's huge!

I totally get you about the opening and apprehension.  I just got a notice from my dentist reminding me I have an appt for June 9th.   I think I will still go.   I don't want to put off other things for what ifs.    I'm also now, 4 months past due on my boobiesquish and I REALLY don't want to put that off past June.   So I'll be having to don the armor and charge into some of these things.   Be smart and cautious, and listen to your heart/gut.  (Whichever one seems less biased.)

Week 3 Update:

It's only week 3? Time is so strange right now. It feels like it should be week 4 or 5.

My gym opened back up this week. I was really apprehensive about going even though they had implemented really strict guidelines, mainly because I was afraid no one would follow them. I decided to give it a chance because I really did want to cuddle a barbell. I missed lifting SO much. Unfortunately, no one but staff was following guidelines. I went ahead and stayed for my workout, but treated it like the lab and used every infectious disease protocol I could. Granted, I'm not necessarily worried about picking it up myself, but I don't want to pass it on to people who are vulnerable. And despite wearing a mask, with no air conditioning, in 80 degree weather (garage doors open), and washing my hands every five minutes, I had a great workout. My numbers went down, but now a whole lot.

In addition, I finally got to talk to my coach about nutrition goals and we've come up with a totally new plan (will update main challenge to reflect). While my protein goal is still ~technically~ 196g, we're shooting for at least 100. I think in some cases, there is a flaw with that protein calculation :D  Calories have been adjusted to 1738, and honestly, I don't really care about carbs and fats other than I will try to keep my carbs down and devoid of the processed/refined variety.

Food: 

• Food Tracked 7/7
  • Mindful Eating Yes
  • Under Calories 6/7
  • Protein 3/7

Fitness:

• Move: 3/3  - 2 x 50 minute Beat Saber sessions, 1 x 1 mile walk
  • Strength Training:  3/3 

Life:

• Complete Weekly Chores: Done
  • Finish Reading New Book: Not much reading