• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Starpuck

Starpuck Persists Gloriously

Body fat measurement is extremely imprecise.  The only way to get a reasonably accurate measurement is a full-body scan.  Just my opinion, but I don't think it's worth trying to track.  I measure my fatness by which belt buckle hole I'm on and whether my pants are getting looser or tighter.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Nice job on the week!  I don't know, I hyper focused on bodyfat percentage for a while, and found it frustrating.  I do know that when I look at your shoulder, arms and calves I see a lot of muscle definition

Hmm.  I feel like I have so much in common with you sometimes. :)   I really like that.  It's like I have this awesome alter-pseudo-me to help me see things from new angles!    Thanks for the compliment.   I felt like I was seeing some new leaner definition too!  Which is why I thought tracking that might be cool.   

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You’re way less than 35%. I bet those charts aren’t calibrated for a woman who has as much muscle as you.

Thanks Sloth!   I don't even have a specific % goal, so I don't know why I got momentarily obsessed with this plan.   I just know that those pesky First to Gain, Last to Lose spots could use a little thinning out in the fat department. 

9 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Body fat measurement is extremely imprecise.  The only way to get a reasonably accurate measurement is a full-body scan.  Just my opinion, but I don't think it's worth trying to track.  I measure my fatness by which belt buckle hole I'm on and whether my pants are getting looser or tighter.

The belt area is my first to lose spot!   So yeah, my pants are baggy as heck right now.  (Also might be that I wear them 4 days in a row since I am working from home haha)   But I was hoping that the calipers, over several spots, could give me a better average.    One thing for sure - the body weight scale with fat estimate is probably high?  Maybe?  I dunno.  I DO have these thick thick thighs, hips and butt and it ain't all muscle.  

I think I will take some tape measurements and pictures.  That might be the best way after all.   I can still use the calipers for funsies.  

Food good, and all that jazz.  

Did my art lesson before dinner since dinner ran late cooking.

Played my Northgard game with my Conquest buddy.

All habits in line.

Face, teeth and reading for the rest of the night ... but the big announcement...

SO TODAY GUYS!  OMG!   I went a little crazy on videos, (just two) [And they are super short.]  But I have to share them because I DID AN AMAZING THING!

Today's workout was:

• Jumping Jacks
  • Gorilla Bow Split Squats
  • Gorilla Bow Side Bends
  • Pull Ups
  • Push Ups
  • Gorilla Bow Crunches

Pretty solid workout all around, but I wanted to really push myself on the pull ups.

Guys!  GUYS GUYS.

-->  10!!   Then 7 | 7 | 7 | 7  <--

Like seriously whoa, omg omg omg!   The last two were soooooo ugly.  But I didn't kip and I just eeeeked it out barely!   See see! <--- Look here!

I had intentions of recording the whole workout, then speeding it up for silliness, but I missed my warmup and first few sets due to erroneously setting up OBS.  In fact, I was super panicked that the black screen persisted and missed the pull ups, but nope!    I had done it specifically to show the lovely @chickie.monkey a bit of how the Gorilla Bow handles.  So I'll have to do another for her. ;)   Anyway, here's some push ups that look pretty decent (form check anyone) and me goofing around with some of the tricks of the Bow.

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 2

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You’re way less than 35%. I bet those charts aren’t calibrated for a woman who has as much muscle as you.

Precisely! I'm echoing what everyone else said! Those charts aren't made for a Rebel!

Also, CONGRATULATIONS ON 10 PULL UPS!!!

• Like 2

Why Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lopez Freaked out over Patricia ...

YEEEESSSSS!!!!! 

Hey! Remember when you couldn't do any unassisted pull-ups and you had to use bands? If you want some visual progress, pull out one of your old playground workout videos with the banded pull-ups. BECAUSE THAT IS MAD PROGRESS!! 

Thank you for the Gorilla Bow video. That thing is so big!! It doesn't look all that massive next to a big ol' dude, but when you put it with one of us short people, it's kind of ridiculous. Haha!! I did end up ordering one, but I got the travel one, so I think it's smaller(?). The exercises look cool, though. Resistance bands are just awkward for me. 

• Like 3

It's late guys.

I had a super moop day.

tumblr_mdicddFuIC1r1fq7do3_250.gifv

Continued clouds and dreariness do not help.   Nor does the fact that this is the time of year my friends and I all go to Acen, and obviously that wasn't possible.  (And with Illinois' plan - next year is unlikely too.)   All the photos came up on my FB memories and I thought nothing of it.   But then two days of grey skies and meh and I wonder if it was subconscious sadness. 

I was also ridiculously sore today from yesterday's workout, so I opted for actually doing my 'recovery' day.   All I did was force myself out onto a 2 mile chilly day walk.

Like, it was 54, sure, but with winds from the North at 20-30mpg, and it being super damp, I needed a toque!

I did get some more 'Tiny World' pictures though.

2qBSorK.jpg   wapLbGa.jpg

No reading, or art, or nothing.   Just a total do nothing day.  But I think I desperately needed one.   Now I am going to check out the daily bible verse while I tuck into bed, and hope for lots of good sleep and some sunshine tomorrow.

• Like 6

Just catching up, and I have thoughts!

You said last week you need to take rest days but you're bad at doing it, why is that? Do you feel like your body needs a rest day or do you just think you should do it because that's what people say you should do? If it's the latter I'd say drop them if your body can handle it - I haven't had a rest day in at least 2 months. Your body gets used to consistent work.

Body fat percentage is really difficult to track to compare yourself to anyone else. It's useful for tracking yourself if you can be bothered to do it - it doesn't really matter if the number is accurate, just whether it goes up or down. Using the "looking at photos" method I'd put you a little under 25%.

I feel you on living your whole life in one room! I spend all of my work time and most of my social time in the same 10'x8' room these days!

Finally got a chance to watch that pullup video, those are amazing! You look really strong too; I think you've got another rep or two in you!

Also, you no longer get to say you suck at pushups, those were really solid :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

*Hugs* I totally get it. I'm supposed to be in Florida right now catching up with friends and family and then going to a con this weekend. I've had to cancel and forgo so many trips in the last few and upcoming months. It's so heartbreaking. But, I'm trying to see the bright side in which I'm able to save up a ton of money, miles, and time off, and once all of this eases up, I'll be able to take an EPIC holiday (or two or three).

Speaking of which, try to remember that plans change. While my state opened up, my county was to remain closed until certain metrics were met, but the mayor went ahead and started phase 1 before that happened. This is just such a weird time, I'm glad we have NF to support each other.

AND AND AND Most importantly, you felt the moop and pushed through anyway. That is huge. Even in the cold and wind. You, my friend, rock!

BTW, those awesome 'Tiny 'World' pictures are prime IG content. Just sayin. ;)  

• Like 4

On 5/18/2020 at 9:22 AM, Starpuck said:

Maybe I should get @GoodDoug to look at my room and see if he can come up with some awesome design idea that will get me all the bang for my buck on space vs function lol!!

I'm sure there are many Rangers that could help with that, but I'm game to look and make suggestions.

And I think that you should use the percentage numbers as an arbitrary baseline number and not get caught up on how it translates to real world percentages. The big key is do you like your "after" picture better than your "before"? I think it looks better and so you are doing the right things. So keep doing those things!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Nice pics!

Rest days are good.  I'm glad you took one.

Tomorrow will be a better day!

Thanks Cheetah.   Look at us, listening to our bodies and stuff.   Soooo weird.

17 hours ago, Jarric said:

Just catching up, and I have thoughts!

You said last week you need to take rest days but you're bad at doing it, why is that? Do you feel like your body needs a rest day or do you just think you should do it because that's what people say you should do? If it's the latter I'd say drop them if your body can handle it - I haven't had a rest day in at least 2 months. Your body gets used to consistent work.

Body fat percentage is really difficult to track to compare yourself to anyone else. It's useful for tracking yourself if you can be bothered to do it - it doesn't really matter if the number is accurate, just whether it goes up or down. Using the "looking at photos" method I'd put you a little under 25%.

I feel you on living your whole life in one room! I spend all of my work time and most of my social time in the same 10'x8' room these days!

Finally got a chance to watch that pullup video, those are amazing! You look really strong too; I think you've got another rep or two in you!

Also, you no longer get to say you suck at pushups, those were really solid :P

Heeey Jarric!  I love your thoughts, thanks for that!

Hmm.   Rest days - Ya know for the most part I think I do them only when I feel like I need/want them.   But then I get guilty for not just pushing through, even if I was really tired and worn out.     My stupid digital scale has only dropped me 2% bodyfast over the past 3 months and that seems ... well, I feel more tone than just 2%.

I couldn't get another two, no way!!  (Not right now anyway.)

I was surprised to see the push ups looks so snazzy.   I hate them so much.   And I can't ever get more than 10-12 in a set.  Oof.

15 hours ago, chickie.monkey said:

*Hugs* I totally get it. I'm supposed to be in Florida right now catching up with friends and family and then going to a con this weekend. I've had to cancel and forgo so many trips in the last few and upcoming months. It's so heartbreaking. But, I'm trying to see the bright side in which I'm able to save up a ton of money, miles, and time off, and once all of this eases up, I'll be able to take an EPIC holiday (or two or three).

Speaking of which, try to remember that plans change. While my state opened up, my county was to remain closed until certain metrics were met, but the mayor went ahead and started phase 1 before that happened. This is just such a weird time, I'm glad we have NF to support each other.

AND AND AND Most importantly, you felt the moop and pushed through anyway. That is huge. Even in the cold and wind. You, my friend, rock!

BTW, those awesome 'Tiny 'World' pictures are prime IG content. Just sayin. ;)  

Thanks Chickie.  <hug hug>   I needed some of that reassurance!   I did push through the moop and did something small.   

Tiny World IG, huh?    Ya know, since watching 90 Day Fiance, I gotta admit I am a little nervous about IG lol.   Not that I am at ALL so naive as poor Yolanda!  

14 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I'm sure there are many Rangers that could help with that, but I'm game to look and make suggestions.

And I think that you should use the percentage numbers as an arbitrary baseline number and not get caught up on how it translates to real world percentages. The big key is do you like your "after" picture better than your "before"? I think it looks better and so you are doing the right things. So keep doing those things!

My nephew just redid his room and stuff, and I love that kid so much and now I totally wanna do this, omg!!  

Yes.  I do like my after picture better.   You're right!   Numbers be darned!

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm sorry about the moop day. I hope today was better. I offer moop prophylaxis:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks Tank!  I have to watch those tomorrow, I have a feeling they are not the best for right before bed heh.

Today's Update -  Moop continues.   It's a bit more touch and go though.

The sun came out by later afternoon and that helped.  And the seed of the aloe plant I planted about 8 days ago finally sprouted and that was exciting.   I am notoriously bad at keeping them alive during the sproutling phase, so fingers crossed.

I got my workout in today.    Just some low key lifts and stuff, mostly with the Gorilla Bow.   Then 15 minutes of stretching.

Food was fine and all that jazz.

I did some art after playing ESO with the boys.   So I've been doing these Udemy classes and have been working through one with proper anatomy and how to set up the body, and well, tonight's sketch was off a pose.reference pose, but rather than just copy, I incorporated the lessons I am working on and I think I had some breakthrough moments!

A bit late to bed tonight, but it's okay.   I am hoping to do some indoor side projects while working from home tomorrow.  Those make me feel better.

dktF8hQ.jpg

• Like 6

I'm glad to hear that you're pushing through this Moop point that you're experiencing. You've always been awesome like that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Starpuck said:

My stupid digital scale has only dropped me 2% bodyfast over the past 3 months and that seems ... well, I feel more tone than just 2%.

2% might actually be quite a large number. For example:

• if you have 35% body fat and you drop 2 percentage points to 33%, you've lost nearly 6% of your body fat

• if you have 25% body fat and you drop 2 percentage points to 23%, you've lost 8% of your body fat.

It might make more sense with weights. Let's imagine you're 150# as a nice round number:

• going from 35% to 33% is going from 52.5# of fat to 49.5#. You've lost 3# of fat and gained 3# of muscle if your weight hasn't changed.

• going from 25% to 23% is going from 37.5# of fat to 34.5#. Again you've lost 3# of fat and gained 3# of muscle, but 3# is a bigger proportion of your total fat.

5 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I was surprised to see the push ups looks so snazzy.   I hate them so much.   And I can't ever get more than 10-12 in a set.  Oof.

10-12's good! I can barely make 12 reps. I've always assumed (and I think a lot of people assume), that a 'fit' person should be able to knock out 20 pressups no problem. Turns out no, most people can't do that, pressups are hard!

I love your sketch; the anatomy looks really clear and realistic. Should I ask about the whip and boots? ;)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I'm glad to hear that you're pushing through this Moop point that you're experiencing. You've always been awesome like that

Thanks Red.  Sometimes I push through it with like RARR, and sometimes I think I need to admit I am not so rarr as I try to push through it.  

17 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Dealing with Moop as it comes is how we get our XP :)  

Hah, I like this explanation!   Lots of xp this week!  Like a dungeon that didn't let you get any short rests in and you ran out of spell slots in the first battle!

15 hours ago, Jarric said:

2% might actually be quite a large number. For example:

• if you have 35% body fat and you drop 2 percentage points to 33%, you've lost nearly 6% of your body fat

• if you have 25% body fat and you drop 2 percentage points to 23%, you've lost 8% of your body fat.

It might make more sense with weights. Let's imagine you're 150# as a nice round number:

• going from 35% to 33% is going from 52.5# of fat to 49.5#. You've lost 3# of fat and gained 3# of muscle if your weight hasn't changed.

• going from 25% to 23% is going from 37.5# of fat to 34.5#. Again you've lost 3# of fat and gained 3# of muscle, but 3# is a bigger proportion of your total fat.

10-12's good! I can barely make 12 reps. I've always assumed (and I think a lot of people assume), that a 'fit' person should be able to knock out 20 pressups no problem. Turns out no, most people can't do that, pressups are hard!

I love your sketch; the anatomy looks really clear and realistic. Should I ask about the whip and boots? ;)

Thanks for the math Jarric.   You make a good point about the shifting that could be taking place.   Math is my enemy, so I never think to look at numbers in helpful ways, lol.  

Pressups huh?   You mean push ups?   LOL.   Never knew that there was another term for it.   And yeah, that's totally my thinking, "I should be able to do 20!"    But I do approve of my form on pushups.  I had to correct it years ago and now they are both more difficult, but also safer and better.

Thanks, the anatomy lessons I think are going to help me with mannequin sketching in the early draft stage.   As for boots and whip, lol, OMG.   So my Warhammer Fantasy RPG character started as an outrider, and the starting equipment is a whip!   She's landed some epic crits with that thing, and so when I saw the pose come up on pose.muse, I was like OMG  I can turn this into Solla!   I need to get armor on stat!!!  Or else, the wrong impression is way too easy haha.

Today's Wrap Up, Short and Sweet for Thursday

Food fine, though man I was craving bad stuff.  I had more sweets than usual, but didn't binge and stayed within calories.

Got a 3 mile run/walk in at lunch that was nice.

Thursdays never have time for art because of the aforementioned Warhammer FRPG game.  It was a fun session tonight!

Gonna get a chapter read in bed before lights out and really try to focus on tomorrow.

giphy.gif

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Pressups huh?   You mean push ups?   LOL.   Never knew that there was another term for it. 

That might just be me to be fair - I never know if it's pressups or pushups, or whether it should be one word, two words, or hyphenated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I LOVE LILACS!!!

Glad to see you got reassured about your gainz. Idk about a lot about what it all has to look like but I was going to offer the maths perspective :)

awesome race experiences! Thanks for sharing. Made me get all the feels, too. Hope your moopness subsides but gotta say I am also excited for your XP gainz.

Soooo about the door pullup. How do you secure the door so it doesn't move? I am inspired. Need to check it out.  Though Idk if it will also work for progression when you have never done 1?

Also loved the vlog. Cannot see how awkward you are at allllll. Why are there people like this?  I am a big fidgetter and sometimes I even look nervous when I'm simply energetic :D

Keep being you! 🌻🌻🌻

• Like 1

This is mostly for @chickie.monkey   (or anyone else who is in love with Katee Sackhoff).    My workout from in office last week.

• Jumping Jacks
  • Door Pull Ups
  • Goblet Squat (I used 25lb dumbbell, but use anything in your house!)
  • Bench Press
  • Lying Leg Raises
  • (not shown) Hip Thrusts ;)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jarric said:

That might just be me to be fair - I never know if it's pressups or pushups, or whether it should be one word, two words, or hyphenated!

Pressups are metric, pushups are Imperial.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

A More Proper Update on this Fine Friday

We keep getting promises of this thing called 'the sun' and then it doesn't show up.   Super disappointing guys.   It did show up today, at about 3pm, for like 2 hours, but otherwise it was another pure white-gray overcast heavy doldrum blanket.    My mood has been ticking upward through the week, so that's good at least.   I am trying super hard to not be bummed out with the "first summer weekend" where I can do nothing really.  Ugh.   Add to it, an all day forecast of rain tomorrow, then it jumps up to 89 and super humid on Sunday.  YUS!   Way to let our bodies acclimate to warmer temperaturs midwest... oh right-

giphy.gif

[I'll take TV shows from the 90s that could never be produced today, for 200 Alex.]

It was supposed to be a strength day today, but I really wanted to play Beat Saber, and I had more mental energy for that, so I switched it up.  Got an hour of that in for cardio, and downloaded a new music pack I had a ton of fun with.  So upbeat and bouncy and soul-happy-making!      

Food's been great.  In fact, my scale registered the lowest weight I've seen in seriously 15 years - maybe 20.   Since getting really focused in February, I've lost 14 pounds!   I wasn't expecting it, and I just today changed my goals on My Fitness Pal to have me eat at just 250 calories below maintenance per day.   I also set my macro goal to up the protein and lower the fat/carbs just a scoche and ... haha, like I can get enough protein ever.   Silly Puck, proteins for bros.

dHkS67p.gif

I got some art in tonight while playing a Discord D&D game.   [The game is super loosey goosey and that's not my preference, but I feel strongly about supporting the people IN the game, so I stick with it.]   I have inked the sketch I did and added clothes.    I spent so much time on trying to get things to look right and I just haven't learned how to do clothing properly yet.     I really like how the breastplate/chest armor turned out, but the legs with the mail jacket are being weird, and then the face and eyes are troublesome.    I will probably finish this one with it being far less than satisfactory for my own desires, but not all pics are going to turn out and I need to learn that lesson too.

Probably going to read the next chapter in my book tonight because man I am so hooked right now.   Some big big stuff going on and I have no idea how Aral is going to survive this!

I really really love Raptron's icon tracker thing, so lemme see if I can pull it off here.

💪 - 2/3 💦 - 2/3

🧘‍♀️ - 2/3  🧖‍♀️ - 1/1

📖 - 3/3

🎨 - 2/3    +1/1 Lesson

🎮📹 - 2/2

... hers look better!  LOL.

Oh well.

Tomorrow will likely be inside project day, and I am setting a strict no video games until I've done a big thing.   In the meantime, bop along to this most cheerful of tunes.

• Like 5

In Seattle, when it is gray and rainy all day, and just clears up for an hour in the afternoon, they refer to the day as partly to mostly sunny.😉 They said that would happen today, which is why Mr Incredible and I decided to go on the walk despite the fact it was sprinkling, and by the time we came home we were soaked.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I love running in the rain!  

Good work being flexible with your workouts.  Keep it up, you're doing great!

• Like 2