• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Starpuck

Starpuck Persists Gloriously

I had a lovely day that started off with me super grumpy and antsy and being unbearable.  My sister kindly shifted plans and we went out and planted all the flowers today (except my cucumbers because of fear of heavy storms/hail).   That helped immensely, as the sun was out and it was gloriously warm and bright.

After that, my sis and I went and got tacos at my ma and pa place and ate them in the car like we'd "gone out" for lunch.     I stopped at Burger King for a rare iced coffee treat and it was so yummy.

We went to the local Hardware Store (Do you guys have "Ace Hardwares?" or is that local only?)   And waited in a 30 person, well behaved, joking smiling and masked line.  It felt good to see humanity making it work with what we got to work with.

Then I drove to the local shoe store and picked up my new Brooks via curbside.   Yay me supporting all these local places!    They feel sooo good.   The less $140 in my pocket feels less so, lol.  Snazzy though eh?

98338752_10222197231630111_1411197838238416896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=17nUf9WGjbwAX9yrHR-&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=b158f860e7b9c771e53674e29a1c3740&oe=5EEFAE4B

Then I drove to my best friends house (the gaming den) and I dropped off some protein balls and a spare mask for my friend.  Since he was outside weeding, and we could keep distance, we sat and talked for like an hour and it made me feel even better.

Then rain and thunder started and I ran for my car, lol!

Got home and did an hour long workout.   I wasn't going for insane reps on pull ups today since I was a) tired and b) pushed max reps earlier this week.   Soooo I did 6x6!!  That's a whole extra set than I normally do.  Woot.   Got 15 minutes of stretching in afterward.

I was feeling so great at this point (also went out and stood in a sun shower for a while and soaked in the lovely smell of petrichor) that I then put on some Beat Saber and had a really good run of that too!

I beat this Fat Rat song, on Expert+ on my first try and I nailed some of these really complicated patterns like it was nothing.  Whoa!    

Dinner was pork tenderloin, with spinach, and some jasmine rice that I dolled up with some butter, parmesan cheese and chives.  I had 1000 calories left to eat at dinner time as of 7pm, soooo I finished the day off indulging in my Orange Crush Float.  (Using the Orange Crush my church had passed out to all the runners of the 6k!!  Super awesome - I meant to share that on a vlog but haven't put it together yet.)

nZIiOpR.jpg

Had two awesome games of NG with my besties.    Gave my sister her early b-day present (Nintendo Switch Light) and now it's bed time.  

Tomorrow is early online church, then a bike ride with my bestie since it's easy to keep 6' apart on that.   Then some chill time before evening D&D.

REALLY CHECK OUT THE PART RIGHT AROUND :48 seconds... I really super impressed myself even... can't believe I nailed that!

💪 - 3/3 💦 - 2/3

🧘‍♀️ - 3/3  🧖‍♀️ - 1/1

📖 - 3/3

🎨 - 2/3    +1/1 Lesson

🎮📹 - 3/2

• Like 8

On 5/22/2020 at 5:31 PM, Starpuck said:

This is mostly for @chickie.monkey   (or anyone else who is in love with Katee Sackhoff).    My workout from in office last week.

• Jumping Jacks
  • Door Pull Ups
  • Goblet Squat (I used 25lb dumbbell, but use anything in your house!)
  • Bench Press
  • Lying Leg Raises
  • (not shown) Hip Thrusts ;)

That gun show though, damn! ;)

Nice shoes Puck, glad you got the enjoy that orange crush!

On 5/22/2020 at 11:12 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Pressups are metric, pushups are Imperial.

But are they US Imperial, or British Imperial? :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Jarric said:

That gun show though, damn! ;)

Nice shoes Puck, glad you got the enjoy that orange crush!

But are they US Imperial, or British Imperial? :P

*blush*   Thanks!  I don't even work them... they just happen from my other exercises.  I've honestly never done a bicep curl in my life lol.  

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Holy crap!  Are you... A Jedi?

I was for that song!  I was having a really good day of it!   They aren't all like that, lol!

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yes, as a matter of fact they are.

I feel like this was a question similar to, "Would you like beer or tacos?"

Week 2  Day 7

Thought it doesn't feel like it because I have tomorrow off and the long weekend makes me think tomorrow is Day 7.

Weekly tally tomorrow at some point, but today was a great day (despite having the least amount of sleep I've snagged in weeks)!

Got up for early church service and hit our usual McD's breakfast for routine.   The iced coffee was horrible, so I dumped it and saved myself 170 calories.

After that, we put up the umbrella for the patio table and I got my gear together to go for a bike ride with my best friend.

It was a glorious, perfect day!   We did 20 miles on the path and ... I got bold and took my shirt off!  (Still had a really cute, bikini top like sports bra on obviously.)   But my friend went, 'Whoa!  Your back is super sexy!'   And I super blushed.   And then when we stopped for a water break, he said, "Omg, Nay, your stomach is looking amazing!"    Needless to say, I was on cloud 9 after that.  *blush*   I've never before had results like this, so I am both super excited, and also super doubting that this is really happening.   So anyway, it was pure sun and got up to (eventually) 90 degrees, but we were out between 10-Noon so it was like a nice 82.    Afterward, we sat in the shade of his house with our 6' apart and just chatted and relaxed.  It was so nice.

When I got home, I went and got Tacos again, because ... 20 mile bike ride!   LOL.   By this point, because I was wearing my bandana around my neck for quick pull ups when the path got clustered with traffic, instead of covering my scalp, I was starting to feel a bit over-sunned.     But my sister was doing yard work and I couldn't well let her do it alone, so after tacos, I cut the grass, but told her we should leave the rest for tomorrow.  Thankfully, she agreed.

Dinner was had.  A solo game of NG was played.  D&D happened.   I sketched another chibi draft while playing the D&D.   I had the other half of my Orange Crush Float.    I am ssssoooo tired.   And also pretty sore from all the stuff the past few days, so I think I am hitting early bed.   Will catch up with all tomorrow and give my week two round up.

In the meantime, here are some pics!

FW1Z4sf.jpg   KI7OJjf.jpg   WU3lbYD.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I got bold and took my shirt off!

Hiding Face GIFs | Tenor

I'm glad you've finally discovered how awesome your body really is, Puck!

• Like 2

Yaaaay! That all sounds great! Keep on rocking!

I feel like my arms auto get muscle building too. It's not a lot (yet) because most of my workouts focus on legs more than arms but I noticed it again as my pushup progression...progressed. It's so fun! 

When you have time definitely share some pullup 'ledge 😊 I read some of a pullup PVP thread yesterday and I am all excited to experiment. Once I set a bar up...lol 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yes, as a matter of fact they are.

Touché.

6 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I feel like this was a question similar to, "Would you like beer or tacos?"

Well the correct answer to that is "No, I would like beer /and/ tacos."

Glad you had a great day yesterday! I can confirm from your pullup videos that your back is amazing.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:25 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

That sounds like a great day. In my whole entire life no one has said my stomach looks amazing.

Whaat?  Clearly you are hanging around the wrong people!

On 5/24/2020 at 10:44 PM, Elastigirl said:

That sounds like a fantastic day!

Thanks, it really felt good.  Much needed.  

On 5/24/2020 at 10:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Show him one of your pullup videos where your traps are rippling under the skin.

LOL - He's seen those.  He is trying to find a home pull up bar because he is flustered I am ahead of him on pull ups, lol!

On 5/25/2020 at 12:24 AM, Red1263 said:

Hiding Face GIFs | Tenor

I'm glad you've finally discovered how awesome your body really is, Puck!

D'awwww, thanks.  I have long worked on admitting my body is amazing.  It does amazing things.   Stupid Teh World! telling me it has to look a certain way for me to believe it.   I am getting better at it.  I even told the friend as I pinched my stomach floof, "This is 40 years of skin, that ain't going nowhere, but I don't care, I've worked hard, I'm healthy and I feel great!"

On 5/25/2020 at 3:14 AM, analoggirl said:

Yaaaay! That all sounds great! Keep on rocking!

I feel like my arms auto get muscle building too. It's not a lot (yet) because most of my workouts focus on legs more than arms but I noticed it again as my pushup progression...progressed. It's so fun! 

When you have time definitely share some pullup 'ledge 😊 I read some of a pullup PVP thread yesterday and I am all excited to experiment. Once I set a bar up...lol 

The only thing that has ever really worked to shrink my legs is running and I really hate it.   Ah well!   So, pull up knowledge.   You want it here?  In a PM?    Behind a spoiler on your thread?    I am planning to post my recap, catch up on other threads, then work on that for ya!

On 5/25/2020 at 5:01 AM, Jarric said:

Touché.

Well the correct answer to that is "No, I would like beer /and/ tacos."

Glad you had a great day yesterday! I can confirm from your pullup videos that your back is amazing.

Thaaaanks Jarric!   Blush.   I really want beer and tacos now.   Darnit.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:55 AM, GoodDoug said:

I lol'd at that.

I mean, I'd like to try to up the protein, but, short of getting into shakes or something, I'm not sure how.  And I don't want to up my sugars and bad stuff in the process of upping my protein.   Any advice you protein peeps have out there, would be welcome!

WEEK 2 WRAP UP IN FULL!

GOAL #1  -   HERO TRAINING

Strength Training:  3/3

Cardio Maintenance: 3/3 +1

Body Recovery: 1/1

Stretching: 3/3

tenor.gif?itemid=16495326

Ran a perfect week on this one, including a day that I took a recovery /active rest walk and nothing else!

GOAL #2  -   MENTAL TRAINING

Reading 3/3

Bible Study: Yes - I am counting the fact that I have developed a habit (starting) of reading daily verses from the local station almost every night.

Art Lesson: - 1/1

Last-Jedi-2.gif

Enjoying the reading before bed, or when it's nice out!    Also, have really liked checking out Air 1 or K-Love's verse of the day as my 'bible time'.   I think right now, that is serving me better than trying to push a whole 'study session' in.   Sometimes I end up reading the whole chapter to see the fuller context.   The net result is more time in the bible, so that's a win.     Got my art lesson in too, those are best done early in the week.

GOAL #3  -   SKILL SET TRAINING

Art Focus: 3/3

D&D Work:  - none

Gaming Videos/Stream: 2/2

giphy.gif

This set of goals also went really well.   I didn't get as much tablet art time in, but when I was at risk of missing a day, I did some sketching and that super counts, because honestly?   The transposing it into digital art is just reworking lines I've done in pencil.  The pencil time is where I actually improve my drawing skill!

A really good week was had, even though I had complained of sads, moops and frustration early on.    I have maintained a weight UNDER 140 for the longest streak my proper adult life I think too!    Also - my boss is back in the office today and he said he could a difference even from the 3 weeks he last saw me.  I asked him how he measured his body fat (he is a super into it Cross Fitter who runs at 7% BF right now, and he's 46.  Good job buddy!) and he told me the few things he uses.  I had mentioned how my scale that is supposed to do it, came back at 35% and I didn't think I was that much!  He told me put it in Athlete Mode.  Which I then confessed I had tried and it dropped me to 22%.  He said that his scale's athlete mode was within percentages of being the same as his wife's practice (she's a chiropractor) fancy Bio Metric scanning thingamabob.   Soooo maybe I am closer to that!   That was encouraging.

Anyway.    Been doing a lot of deep thinking about stuff lately.  Halted by usual fears, plus the weight off The Uncertainty as we are living through.   I feel like I should not make any big decisions while we're under this weird stress that makes people react differently than normal times.    (Like in the super hero movies where the two leads always kiss or fall in love because doom is around the corner.)   But I really wanna get my brain more sorted out too.   Hmm.   New potential goals for next challenge perhaps!

Keep rangering on folks!   Even you other guild people who think you're not actually part ranger. :D

Oh!  And keeping the Vlog Love going because @Cheetah  is too!  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

The only thing that has ever really worked to shrink my legs is running and I really hate it.   Ah well!  

SHRINK your legs? whyyy? Your legs rock!

When I saw fellow pupile (guys) that cycled with lycra on, you know 'em 😇 I was always kinds sad all the biking I had started to do (instead of taking the bus) would shrink my already pretty unimpressive calves.

On the contrary! They actually pumped up a little. Glad the skinny jeans trend is over. (I never liked that most of the jeans sold made me feel like my blood circulation stopped :D )

My aunt (not a sibling of my parents) advises to do ballerina like stretches for slender legs though. Specifically the one where your feet (heel to heel) are horizontal, and then you forward fold. And then the one where one foot is in front of the other, forward fold, both sides. But like all sculpting stuff that would probably require persistance

My mom is a big fan of slow small movements to challenge your body à la most of pilates so she did that a while with success. She has these glooorious calves. That she herself of course dislikes. I have been spending most of my concious years convincing her how awesome they are and I think since a couple of years I had success 😇 A while back she said she is surprised she likes her legs in the skirt she was wearing.

now if I was only as persistent with knocking out my own insecurities as I am with others :D Oh yeah, my point is that I might ask my aunt what she exactly advise but I don't think those exercises are your jam. Plus you are learning to love your bod 💪

So, pull up knowledge.   You want it here?  In a PM?    Behind a spoiler on your thread?    I am planning to post my recap, catch up on other threads, then work on that for ya!

Ohh thanks!!

Hmmmmm. Here is good. For reference if anyone else is interested :)I'll copy it for safekeeping if that's okay.

PS - the tenses (time line) I used in the above message are ALL wrong but I don't feel like puzzling put what should be past present, past perfect or continuous etc. :D Hope the essence was clear though.

• Like 1

The garden looks great! You look great!  It's a great day to be great!

The peonys ants thing is a myth.  The flowers will bloom without ants.  However, the ants do help control other insects that would harm the plant, so there is a symbiosis.

Keep rocking it!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your garden. I kind of want to grow peonies, though I'm not sure where to put them the ant thing would bother me though. We have a big problem with ants, and I don't want to attract them.But Peonies are so pretty!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cheetah said:

The peonys ants thing is a myth.

Hah!  Awesome!  I had a feeling some nerd in the midst would know the truth!  Way better than the other myth about them that, "You need to pee on 'ese to get them to flower."  LOL.

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

We have a big problem with ants

The ants have been so bad this year.   We have had 3 occasions of swarms in bathroom, laundry tub and once by the back door.     Everyone at work is also having the issue.

11 hours ago, Red1263 said:

on the wrong setting

I'm still not sold that I am 'athlete' enough to warrant using that mode on a scale.   Queen of Denial?  Or Chancellor of Caution?   It is yet to be decided.

Thanks for the encouragement and support on the vlog thing everyone.  I still feel so silly while doing them- which is kind of why I want to keep doing it.  Helps on that whole 'learn to love Teh All Puck.'   

Yesterday was a good day.  [I sound like Tank.]    Back to work in the office.    I did my lunch hour work out through much pain.  My sunburn from Monday's bikini wearing planting is the worst I've had in a long time.    See...

PEjl7BW.jpg

Putting on a sports bra and then moving muscles against said bra, and especially during laying leg raises and bench - it was sheer torture.   On one hand, I should have rested and let the back heal - but as it still hurts today, this would have led to me having to straight up miss a couple of workouts and well ... I ain't blowing my streak.    Food was left overs so easily tracked.    Got some art in and should be able to finish up the picture I don't really like, tonight.     My nightly 'read the daily verse' is really nice and I think I will just keep this as the goal going forward.    The thing I really like about this is; when I find a verse that really speaks to me, I jot it down, and then write it into one of my spare dot journals.  So I am compiling a nice little booklet of go to verses to keep close.  

Company has opted to continue with our current schedule with personnel through June.   So, me and Ron in one week -- Tina and Ron in the next - wash, rinse, repeat.   Invoicing comes in daily from 8-11.   That's it.   It's working, but man... I am someone who actually likes my coworkers, and of course I never get to see my work wife, so I am eager for the day we can be back in the office together.  It will come.   I must just be patient.    

In scale news, I determined that I have maintained under 140 for 17 days guys!   Holy smokes!  Even last time I did really well, I only dipped under it, then hovered right at the nose for the rest of the time.  This is very exciting.   (And man I thought it had only been like a week tops, I didn't realize I maintained that for 2.5!)   

Also I need to come up with more projects ideas.  

• Like 8

Missed yesterday's update, and I don't think it was as good as it could have been.

Food was alright and tracked.

I got some cardio in (Beat Saber) after work but had an awful night of it and was failing a lot of songs.

Meant to do art, but after shutting down ESO with the group, I opted for faster into bed.

I've not been sleeping very deeply, and have felt a little off since Monday night.   I think it's allergies + too much sun + too much DOING.   So I've been trying to be less intense in things this week.

So really - only managed to get food okay and exercise in yesterday.   

Today should be a strength day; I think I will drop the reps and just slow them down for the workout.  Also - NOTHING that requires me to be on my back as that sunburn still hurts.   Side planks, dumbbell presses, dumbbell rows and some deadlifts I think.   If I am feeling off, maybe my body needs more energy to deal with something internal.  Boo.

tumblr_opwtvpnspz1ra8smno1_1280.gif

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

Missed yesterday's update, and I don't think it was as good as it could have been.

Those days happen, especially a couple of days after a really intense workout and sun-filled day.

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

So really - only managed to get food okay and exercise in yesterday.   

So just the big stuff 😛 

• Like 2

Good job adapting your workout.  It's good to listen to the bid and make adjustments.  Keep up the good work!  I hope you get a better sleep tonight!

So weird.   I rested at lunch guys, because I just felt like ... no, not the energy for any work out.    I get home, hear we're having salmon - I love salmon, but so many calories, and decide I DO feel up to doing some Beat Saber and that will let me eat more salmon.   So after yesterday's couldn't do anything right with it?   I found, downloaded and played on first try this Expert+ song to the My Hero Acadamia song "Hero Too" (it's the song they put on for the school festival.)

This song had 1431 notes, at 195 BPM, and a notes/second rating of 5.68.

See that first high spike of my heart rate, in the 160-180 zone?   That's THIS song.

q8tKLJH.jpg

Needless to say, today ended up feeling much better!

Food fine, exercise fine.   I did some sketching on my lunch break for art 2/3 this week, and then I had a super fun night of Warhammer FRP!   Now, into bed and to read some verses!

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

10 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Needless to say, today ended up feeling much better!

Amazing what a little intentional rest can do for you. What a great thing to have reinforced.

You are doing so well, we are very proud of you

• Like 2

STARPUCK'S ULTIMATE, WORKED FOR HER, BUT YMMV, PULL UP TIPS AND TRICKS!

Tip #1 - Stick with it!

- Pull ups are seriously hard core, but once you get a few under your belt, you will feel like the total bad ass you are!

Tip #2 - You cannot learn pull ups, without grabbing a bar and pulling up!

- I know, I know, you're saying, "But Puck, I literally CANNOT PULL UP EVEN AN INCH!"   Neither could I!  Baby steps.  Lots and lots of baby steps!

The first thing I did was work on grip strength, and 'top' strength.   Why?   It was super easy to work on.    Grab bar, door, rings, whatever.   Climb up there and hold from the top.    Back in the 80s/90s, this was called "The Flex Arm Hang" and it was part of the Presidential's Fitness blah blah whatever.     While you're doing these, you're gonna shake.  Like a leaf!   (Not, not the Wash from Firefly kind of leaf.  More like a leaf in an earthquake!)    My technique was to do the hold, then slowly descend.   This part is called a negative and they are super good for training pull ups!     Tada, for viewing pleasure!   HOLD + NEGATIVE   As a note, I think... maybe, that when you can hold for 30", you probably can eek out your first pull up.  Provided you do the other training tips too.

Tip #3- So many muscles are firing during a pull up, so you gotta catch side train them all!

- And NOT on the same day you do actual pull up work.   Dem back muscles and everything else need some breaks too.

Single Arm Dumb Bell Rows are another great one.    Really really concentrate on keeping everything tight while you're bent on the bench.  I prefer using my other hand on the bench as opposed to just bent rows, it lets me focus on 'pinching the shoulder blades together'.     Your abs should be tight too, because stabilizers, yo!   Also - your abs work super hard on actual pull ups, yup!   They do!

Lying Leg Raises are good for helping those abs and low back get ready for pull ups too.    And remember that 'suck your belly button in' line people always say with ab stuff?  Yeah I don't like that phrase.   Tighten, and tilt works better for my brain.   The small of your back should be flat when you do your ab work.    Also - these laying leg raises will be good training for hollow holds.  (Which I don't do, but should.)

Banded Pull Ups (or since I am not sure how well they'd work on door frame bars) Assisted by a friend / partner / roommate pull ups!  - I worked on banded pull ups, which are more ideal for teaching your whole body to expect the motion, than those stupid assisted pull up machines at gyms.   Those totally (imho) eliminate your bodies need to work as one machine.  Your abs are not engaged because the 'bench you kneel on' is holding your lower body weight, not your core!     NF has a some great tips on assisted pull ups, so check them out, also the links I will throw in at the end of this.

Scap Pulls (Another thing I should do more, but I get lazy and go for numbers)  -- These are essential for getting into good habits and learning to start your pull up low and with good lat activation.     They also suck.  A lot.    Before you jump into these, and as you just start your program.  Just practice hanging.  Arms extended.  Hang.   If you feel any strain in your shoulders or any pinch or 'chattiness', stop and reposition.  I feel like for me, working from the top down was better for my shoulder health.

Tip #4 - Don't go for "Success" without good form.  

- Numbers only matter if they are good numbers.  As you get some strength, you'll start getting some pulls up!   That's great.   And if a few are really sloppy looking when you start that's fine.  But don't don't don't accept THESE as a substitute for taking a longer time, to get NICER ones.   Legs shouldn't come up (unless you are looking into kipping pull ups, in which case, I'd direct you to a good crossfit person for proper instruction) and you never want to reach your chin out and over the bar.   As you get stronger, your body will move better together.  Don't rush a rep, if one group of muscles is ready, but the others are.   Many links in this chain!

.... ahh crap, I got more to add, but I don't wanna lose this and I gotta run reports....

MORE COMING FOLKS!

https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/how-to-do-a-pull-up-everything-you-need-to-know/

http://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the-proof-is-in-the-pull-up-10-tools-for-getting-better-at-pull-ups

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3