• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Miss Marissa Murder Hornet May

6 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

On our last grocery pick-up order the store messed up and included four 1 lbs packs of ground turkey, that we had not ordered. They refused to take it back (no returns allowed due to COVID), and since it was their mistake they also would not charge us for it, so I have four free pounds of ground turkey that I need to use up. Your meatballs dinner sounds absolutely delicious, so I will totally steal this and make turkey meatballs now. :) 

yay! Glad I can help with some meal inspiration

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'm so weak the only pushups I can do without straining my shoulders are on my knees. And I can't do too many because ganglion cyst. I did try pec flyes with the kettlebell, however, and I could feel my pecs working, so maybe that's an option. I figured out I can do some KB floor presses with a fluffy armband, but the ROM is so short it seems pointless.

I don't know your specific contraindications, but when I was recovering from my sprained wrist, using parallettes for pushups helped me a lot. The wrist/hand position helps. A lot of time for me too I am limited in my pushups by the strength/endurance of my core and delts prior to my chest.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good thing I didn't come here hungry.

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I don't know your specific contraindications, but when I was recovering from my sprained wrist, using parallettes for pushups helped me a lot. The wrist/hand position helps. A lot of time for me too I am limited in my pushups by the strength/endurance of my core and delts prior to my chest.

Oh, those look like they would be easy to add to one's home gym collection. Cheers! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ah, thanks. I was imagining it two handed and was wondering. This makes more sense.

I only have one tube of each "weight" so that was not really an option. 😛 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

I only have one tube of each "weight" so that was not really an option. 😛 

No no no I was imagining me inside one tube, pushing on it with both hands; 'Help help I can't get out of the tube'

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4755f0ca6b321a977ceb

• Haha 2

I know I'm way late (yay, forum hiatus) but jumping in to say I, too, feel like it's weirdly nice to just have less commuting and less social obligations these days. Glad to hear you're finding some things to like about these weird days, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I know I'm way late (yay, forum hiatus) but jumping in to say I, too, feel like it's weirdly nice to just have less commuting and less social obligations these days. Glad to hear you're finding some things to like about these weird days, too.

🤗

Thursday/Friday

Food:

Breakfast: toast w/ pb and banana, protein coffee / english muffin, egg, bacon, spinach 

Lunch: pork dumplings (Frozen) which I sauteed and served with steamed broccoli / leftover pasta and meatballs

Dinner: made another batch of veggie enchiladas which I had for dinner both nights (used corn tortillas for these instead of flour which was a good choice)

Thursday was pretty rainy. I wanted to go for a jog, but the weather was not cooperative. Instead I did a 50 minute hip opener yoga flow. 

Friday I went to the gym for the first time in almost 3 months. It ended up that I was the only person there besides the coach! So yay! I also peeked at the schedule and there are a few other time slots that are empty or only have 1 other person, which I might sign up for. I did:

trapbar deadlifts

1 arm KB swings

floor press

core activation stuff

carries

split squats 😫

and other stuff I forgot

1) Eat lunch - 

2) Eat a fruit or vegetable with every meal - x6

3) Movement - 

4) No caffeine after lunch - 

5) Change clothes 

6) Read 

I woke up early to go to the grocery store this morning. I also cleaned the fridge which is a monumental task that I hate doing. So go me.

I have an appointment at 1:30 to get one of my car tires repaired/replaced. In retrospect, I hope that is over in time to watch the launch.

I am also hoping to get some additional things done around the house this weekend:

mop kitchen floor

clean oven

clean fridge

swap from winter closet to summer (we just skipped spring)

write letter of recommendation

mail 2 graduation cards

sew extra masks, so I don't have to wash mine as regularly

I have some goal revisions for week 4.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Friday I went to the gym for the first time in almost 3 months

In my head I imagine you going around and hugging all of the barbells and chatting with the dumbbell rack as if it were a long lost acquaintance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigm141414 said:

In my head I imagine you going around and hugging all of the barbells and chatting with the dumbbell rack as if it were a long lost acquaintance.

When I finally get back into the gym this will me be. In every way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

19 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

When I finally get back into the gym this will me be. In every way.

Yeah, I sometimes talk quietly to the lifts even when other people are there. "come on", "up you go", "are you looking at me? Let's go, then"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Dinner: made another batch of veggie enchiladas which I had for dinner both nights (used corn tortillas for these instead of flour which was a good choice)

Corn tortillas are way better for enchiladas because they hold their structural integrity better when immersed in  sauce.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 5:52 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Corn tortillas are way better for enchiladas because they hold their structural integrity better when immersed in  sauce.

So noted. (One of these days I will use tortillas for something other than burritos!)

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 6:52 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I have learned this lesson the hard way. They also don't stick to the dish as easily in my experience.

Saturday/Sunday

Going to keep it brief. After my update Saturday things went downhill fairly quickly. I watched the launch, and then wrote the recommendation letter, but then some local protesting turned to unrest in my city, as it did in many cities. I had a lot weighing on me because of the mental strain also combined with poor sleep led me to poor nutritional choices and gave in to comfort foods and activities as self care, TV watching, napping, pizza, and little/no movement, etc. 

• Sad 4

On 5/30/2020 at 1:14 PM, miss_marissa said:

Friday I went to the gym for the first time in almost 3 months. It ended up that I was the only person there besides the coach! So yay! I also peeked at the schedule and there are a few other time slots that are empty or only have 1 other person, which I might sign up for

Yaaaaas!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Going to keep it brief. After my update Saturday things went downhill fairly quickly. I watched the launch, and then wrote the recommendation letter, but then some local protesting turned to unrest in my city, as it did in many cities. I had a lot weighing on me because of the mental strain also combined with poor sleep led me to poor nutritional choices and gave in to comfort foods and activities as self care, TV watching, napping, pizza, and little/no movement, etc. 

The whole situation has me saddened today.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I have learned this lesson the hard way. They also don't stick to the dish as easily in my experience.

Saturday/Sunday

I hope you enjoyed the pizza and rest and that this week goes swimmingly for you.

• Like 1

Monday

For lunch I made a salad. I juiced some lemon and whisked with olive oil, salt, and pepper and then massaged into some chopped kale leaves. I also drizzled over chickpeas. I also took tahini, more lemon juice, and fresh parsley and blended in the food processor. I topped the kale with quinoa, chickpeas, roasted sweet potatoes, and drizzled the tahini dressing over it all and finally some sesame seeds for garnish. It was delicious (and surprisingly vegan).

For dinner I mixed ground turkey with za'atar seasoning and made burger patties. I also sauteed mushrooms, spinach and garlic in bacon fat. I served a burger patty with the veggies and then also an apple and sunbutter because I was really hungry.

I was still feeling a little listless yesterday, so instead of an intense workout, I did a 40 minute gentle yoga flow. I felt a lot better afterwards, especially because I felt like I honored my body, while still making the choice to get some movement in.

I spent some time reading, and will likely finish tonight, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. While not directly related to current events, it is tangentially related and still very eye opening to mistreatment in the medical and medical research fields, particularly against black Americans and other communities of color.

Revising my goals for the last 2 weeks/month of June to take the first 2 nutrition related goals and combine into this:

1) Eat a meal every 4-6 hours

• a meal contains protein, fruit and/or vegetables, carbs (optional), and healthy fats
    • a meal can be a protein shake/smoothie if it contains all the relevant ingredients
    • a snack is not a meal
  •  a meal should be eaten within an hour of waking up, unless a workout is done first thing, in which case a meal should be eaten after the workout

The remainder of the goals are the same

1) Eat a meal every 4-6 hours - 

2) Movement - 

3) No caffeine after lunch - 

4) Change clothes 

5) Read 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I was still feeling a little listless yesterday, so instead of an intense workout, I did a 40 minute gentle yoga flow. I felt a lot better afterwards, especially because I felt like I honored my body, while still making the choice to get some movement in.

That’s great!

And I’m with you on the fridge cleaning dislike.. blagh.

On 5/28/2020 at 4:52 PM, Harriet said:

I'm so weak the only pushups I can do without straining my shoulders are on my knees. And I can't do too many because ganglion cyst.

I feel it is my duty to point out again that not being able to do ‘real’ pushups is not weak. Unless you want to call me and 95% of the ladies at my gym weak. 
also may I recommend doing negative pushups instead of knee pushups? 
And have you tried hitting the cyst with a large book? 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I feel it is my duty to point out again that not being able to do ‘real’ pushups is not weak. Unless you want to call me and 95% of the ladies at my gym weak. 
also may I recommend doing negative pushups instead of knee pushups? 

Thats... a really good idea! Do they work well? It just feels like cheating, :P 

17 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

And have you tried hitting the cyst with a large book? 😁

Erm. Not yet. It's not very close to the surface--it feels quite firm, too. I strongly suspect hitting it would merely hurt.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

I feel it is my duty to completely agree with you on this. :) 

• Like 2

Tuesday

For lunch I had the same salad as Monday. For dinner I had a burrito bowl with brown rice, kale, black beans, avocado, and homemade pico de gallo.

I did a workout at lunch time. It was a schwetty one with lots of conditioning. Some banded moves. sandbag circuit. 

I talked to both my mom and grandma on the phone for about a half an hour each. I also spent some more time reading.

2) Movement - 

4) Change clothes 

5) Read 

• Like 6

I’ve been (un?)pleasantly surprised by how hard bands can make thing. Sounds like a good day!

On 6/2/2020 at 11:31 PM, Harriet said:

Thats... a really good idea! Do they work well? It just feels like cheating, :P 

Erm. Not yet. It's not very close to the surface--it feels quite firm, too. I strongly suspect hitting it would merely hurt.

they work very well, much better than knee pushups.

and yea.. in that case probably best not to do any hitting ;) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I’ve been (un?)pleasantly surprised by how hard bands can make thing. Sounds like a good day!

me too! Consistently surprised at how sore I am afterward.

Wednesday

For lunch I had the same salad as the two previous days. Today I'll make something different. For dinner I made a pad thai. I whisked some lime juice, soy sauce, and sunbutter together. I chopped chicken thighs and sauteed. Then sauteed broccoli, kale, scallions, shredded carrot, and cabbage in some sesame oil and added crushed red pepper. Once the cabbage started to soften I added back in the chicken and the sauce. I served it over rice and garnished with chopped cashews and fresh cilantro. I have 1 serving left which I will probably eat tomorrow when Mr J goes back to work.

I did not do a workout. After dinner I talked on the phone with a friend for about 45 minutes and then it was after 9, so I read wonder woman and went to bed. Also, exercise is hard right now. I did go for a walk, which I haven't done in about a week.

2) Movement - 

4) Change clothes 

5) Read 

• Like 8

Thursday/Friday

For lunch I had a burrito bowl w/ kale, black beans, quinoa, pico de gallo, avocado. For dinner I had the leftover turkey burger meal + banana and sunbutter. So far today I've had a protein shake for breakfast and post-workout. I'll eat "lunch" in a bit, which will be leftover stir fry and then will make dinner later TBD.

Last night I did a 20 min bodyweight HIIT workout, followed by 30 min of yoga. My hamstrings were very tight from the banded deadlifts on Tuesday still. This morning I went back to the gym. There was 1 other person there today, but it was fine. This was the same workout as last Friday and it got sweaty again. 

I finished my book last night, it was a good read that I recommend.

1) Eat a meal every 4-6 hours - /-- --

2) Movement - 

3) No caffeine after lunch - --

4) Change clothes 

5) Read --

• Like 3

That book has immediately been added to my list, thanks for the rec! And glad you're finding some really tasty-sounding meals to cook up at home!

• Like 1

I really enjoy seeing all the green ticked boxes 😁 also my hamstrings sympathise with yours, there is just something about the banded version.. 

• Like 1