• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Miss Marissa Murder Hornet May

On 6/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

That book has immediately been added to my list, thanks for the rec! And glad you're finding some really tasty-sounding meals to cook up at home!

yay! I hope you enjoy it :) 

On 6/6/2020 at 5:18 PM, KB Girl said:

I really enjoy seeing all the green ticked boxes 😁 also my hamstrings sympathise with yours, there is just something about the banded version.. 

Me too! I am glad we have increased our emojis and that there is a built in option for those :)

The banded ones are deceptively hard!

Friday finished well, but since I had a late lunch, I was not very hungry for dinner, so I had only a handful of almonds and a grapefruit.

Saturday/Sunday

Food

• For lunch both days I had a salad. Mixed greens, diced cucumbers, kalamata olives, quinoa, parsley. I also pan fried some salmon which I served on the salad. On the salad with the smaller fillet I had some chickpeas in lemon juice that were leftover (maybe like 1/4c) for some added protein. The dressing was tahini, lemon juice, more chopped parsely and then water until the consistency was appropriate. It was good.
  • Saturday for dinner I roasted spaghetti squash. While roasting, I chopped and then sauteed some zucchini, mushrooms, green onions, garlic, basil, parsley, and spinach. I added jar tomato sauce. I served half the sauteed veggies over half the spaghetti squash so I have another serving left.
  • Sunday for breakfast I made an omelette with bacon, pico de gallo, avocado and served it with blackberries.
  • Sunday dinner was chocolate protein waffles with almond butter and banana slices.

Movement

Saturday I planned for a long walk which turned into a jog about halfway through. The jog/walk combined was about 4 miles. My jog was W3 c25k which wasn't hard until the last 3m jog, which definitely lasted an hour and not 3 minutes. (tbf my first 3 minute jog was probably closer to 5 minutes and my phone did something dumb and I had to restart my app and I just jogged the entire time while I was doing that, plus the 3 minutes)

Sunday I did a 30 minute yoga flow.

Reading

I read vol 5 of The Wicked and The Divine. This story is so good. As is the art. I have volumes 6 and 7 here as well and I hope to knock them out over the next week or so.

Other

I finally switched from my winter capsule closet to my summer. I kind of just skipped spring? For a while there it didn't matter because WAH, and because apparently it snows in Wisconsin on mother's day. But I have a navy base color, with salmon/coral and light blue accent. There are still a few pieces I am missing (brown work appropriate shoes, a skirt, plain or patterned navy tee - not a graphic tee) but I have enough to work for now.

I went to the greenhouse Sunday afternoon and dropped $150 on plants and gardening supplies. I plan to do the window boxes with some flowers. We also have this thing near the front door Mr. J built last year, like a stone wall maybe about 20" tall. It borders a quarter circle between the driveway, the house, and the sidewalk that leads from the driveway to the house. It's just been mulch since the fall so I bought a spirea bush to plant and then some annuals because the spirea is baby. They did not have much of a selection for herbs or veggies, so I only got 1 cilantro. I also got a spider plant for indoors in this area where I've been wanting to hang a plant. I forgot about this planter I have, so I'll need to go find a perennial for that later, but probably just something green or some grasses.

Had book club where we discussed Henrietta Lacks. Was a good discussion, that obviously rolled into other topics.

I've started Avatar the Last Airbender. First time watcher. I am thoroughly enjoying it thus far.

I got a lot of sleep Saturday night :) 

1) Eat a meal every 4-6 hours - /

2) Movement - 

3) No caffeine after lunch - 

4) Change clothes 

5) Read 

• Like 5

Nice weekend! I've only read 2 or 3 volumes of the Wicked + the Divine, but I am also a big fan. Yay for more plants. ❤️ 

• Like 1

Airbender anime or movie? I have never seen either but it's popularity makes me wonder if I am missing out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Airbender anime or movie? I have never seen either but it's popularity makes me wonder if I am missing out. 

What movie? There is no movie. If there was a movie, they certainly wouldn't let M. Night. Shalyman direct and ruin it. It's a good thing there is no movie. 

I'm also a first time watcher (in season 3) but I know from the internet we don't talk about the movie. Which was never made in the first place. Which is why we don't talk about it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What movie? There is no movie. If there was a movie, they certainly wouldn't let M. Night. Shalyman direct and ruin it. It's a good thing there is no movie. 

I'm also a first time watcher (in season 3) but I know from the internet we don't talk about the movie. Which was never made in the first place. Which is why we don't talk about it.

2294583.jpg.e599fa088e0d6ae0ba50bb5195fe5620.jpg

• Like 1

Monday

Food

For lunch I made an omelette. I was going to make this asian style salad, but 2 of the ingredients I had went bad :( For dinner I had leftover spaghetti squash.

Movement

I went for a walk for 40 minutes first thing in the morning. I also did a 60 minute strength based yoga flow before bed. It was decently hard and I got a little sweaty.

Reading

Digital Minimalism as I've been trying to reduce my social media intake and tech usage to those that benefit me more.

Other

1) Eat a meal every 4-6 hours - 

2) Movement - 

4) Change clothes 

5) Read 

3 hours ago, h3r0 said:

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I have also heard that there is no movie.

• Like 2

Tuesday

Food

Lunch was a salad with spinach, grilled chicken, cashews, and supremed orange slices. I reserved the juice and mixed with olive oil, salt and pepper for the dressing. It was easy and yum.

Dinner was a "buddha bowl" which is a new term I have learned. Apparently, it's a bowl overfilled with stuff so it looks like a buddha belly. aka bowl of stuff. Mine was kale, brown rice, canned corn, roasted sweet potatoes, ground turkey which was seasoned with cumin and smoked paprika, and avocado. I mixed up almond butter, sesame oil, and soy sauce which I drizzled over the top. I garnished with a lime wedge and sesame seeds. It was 🔥

Movement

I accidentally worked until 830, and then didn't want to do an intense workout so close to bedtime. So I did another 30 minute yoga flow. Yoga 3 days in a row, am I a druid now?

Reading

More digital minimalism

Other

I worked a long day reviewing this proposal my team had been putting together and it was not in good shape and I'm a little frustrated.

1) Eat a meal every 4-6 hours -  - dinner was a little past 6 hours, but I wasn't STARVING so I'm counting it

2) Movement - 

4) Change clothes 

5) Read 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I worked a long day reviewing this proposal my team had been putting together and it was not in good shape and I'm a little frustrated.

I know that feeling! My week so far has been spent on a counter-proposal to the one my team presented to me last week, because, well... really not in good shape. Urgh. 

My sympathies. I recommend working in short bursts with frequent breaks, mainly because that seemed to help me keep the frustration to a minimum.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, Scalyfreak said:

I know that feeling! My week so far has been spent on a counter-proposal to the one my team presented to me last week, because, well... really not in good shape. Urgh. 

My sympathies. I recommend working in short bursts with frequent breaks, mainly because that seemed to help me keep the frustration to a minimum.

:(  boo for both of us. Yea I waved the flag in our 8am tagup about it yesterday that it was in not good shape. And our proposal coordinator and program manager kind of waved it away and said essentially, it's due Friday, we don't really have time to do huge reworks, I'm sure it's fine. After the program manager reviewed it yesterday, he apologized in this morning's meeting. I've now been voluntold that I am reviewing the whole thing again today as final editor before tomorrows due date 😞Just what I got into engineering to do! Write and review technical papers! 👎

I hope that your proposal efforts turn around also. 💛

Wednesday

Food

I had a post-workout protein shake for lunch that was loaded with goodies.

Dinner was another of the same "buddha bowl" because it was so dang tasty.

Movement

I went to the gym at noon for a session. There was a lot of activity going on today and 2 of the coaches had a competition going on. The gym has been doing zoom workouts twice a week during the time they have been closed. The competition was to determine who has to do the last of them. So they did max reps on bench and highest box jump, with the loser having to do the workout. They drew a crowd of all the coaches to watch. There was also a full 5 people in the slot. So I kind of just put my mat in the corner by the fan and did my thing.

Was getting a little restless, so I did another 30 minute yoga flow around 9pm. After doing yoga so many days, I am actually feeling a lot less tight in my hips and shoulders. I might be on to something here!

Reading

Digital minimalism and WicDiv

Other

• I planned to take the afternoon off earlier in the week, as I need to burn some PTO so I don't lose it. I was hoping to get some gardening done, but it ended up storming THE MOMENT I got in my car to leave the gym and head home. I'm not kidding, it was completely dry when I got in the car, and when I started it there was 3 drops on the windshield and by the time I got home a full on downpour. I ended up still taking the afternoon off and just relaxing, reading and doing some stuff around the house. It is probably in vein, as I'll now have to put in a long night tonight reviewing and rewriting the latest proposal draft. Again.
  • I made the intentional choice not to change clothes in the AM, as I only worked a few hours. I just changed before noon gym. (And also I forgot it was trash day so I had to run the trash cans out before the truck came, so I was running a little late for my 8 am meeting and then by the time all my back to back morning stuff was done it was 11:30 so...)

2) Movement - 

4) Change clothes 

5) Read 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

After the program manager reviewed it yesterday, he apologized in this morning's meeting. I've now been voluntold that I am reviewing the whole thing again today as final editor before tomorrows due date 😞Just what I got into engineering to do! Write and review technical papers! 👎

Double booooo! :(

The pleasure of being vindicated and publicly acknowledged as the person who was right all along turns kind of sour when it backfires like that. I sent my counter-proposal off for review and feedback right before end of shift yesterday, and the team meeting starts in five minutes, so I'm about to find out what I will be working on for the rest of the day. 🤞

22 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Double booooo! :(

The pleasure of being vindicated and publicly acknowledged as the person who was right all along turns kind of sour when it backfires like that. I sent my counter-proposal off for review and feedback right before end of shift yesterday, and the team meeting starts in five minutes, so I'm about to find out what I will be working on for the rest of the day. 🤞

Good luck!

Yea. In this morning's tagup, I was told that it now stands in a 10x better place than it did on Tuesday, so... that's good. My annoyance paid off?

Thursday

Food

Lunch was a spinach, chicken, cashew, orange, avocado salad

For dinner I roasted some potato wedges. I also mixed up some apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and olive oil and massaged it into chopped kale. I seasoned a pork shoulder steak with garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and salt. I pan fried it on high just enough to sear both sides, then I moved the pan to the oven with the potatoes to bake for about 20 minutes (which I think was a touch too long). As those were cooking I diced up a green apple and chopped walnuts to serve on the salad. It was yum.

Movement

I went for an early morning walk. Around 2:30 I decided that if I was going to be working late (and just waiting for this proposal to hit my inbox) I was going to take a break for a workout. So I picked a random booty workout video, which I did half of and I didn't like. So after 30 minutes of that I turned it off and went for another walk.

Reading

Wonder Woman

Other

• Worked until 9pm and promptly crashed

2) Movement - 

4) Change clothes 

5) Read 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Yea. In this morning's tagup, I was told that it now stands in a 10x better place than it did on Tuesday, so... that's good. My annoyance paid off?

And I was told my counter proposal was "Fantastic! Exactly what we need!" so obviously we both are awesome and great. :) 

• That's Metal 2

Challenge wrap up

1) Eat a meal every 4-6 hours 

This goal I got better at once I made it a bit more concrete. My snacking has gone down significantly, and my meals are more well rounded with lots of fruits and veggies taking center stage. I still feel snack-ish a lot so I may keep this moving forward. 

2) Movement

This goal was a little ambiguous with stay at home orders affecting things and my gym opening up halfway through the challenge. I think I improved on this as the challenge continued. I think adding more specifics to the next challenge will be good. 

3) No caffeine after lunch

This was pretty easy to maintain.

4) Change clothes

I got really good at this goal. It will likely not be a challenge goal moving forward, as it is now habit.

5) Read

This was a useful addition. Even though the goal was only 1 page, I think I read only 1 page, just once over the challenge. Most days I read at least a full comic, and some days many more. Will keep/continue this.

• Like 7

It was a great challenge! And lots of food inspiration :D 

On 6/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, miss_marissa said:

Was getting a little restless, so I did another 30 minute yoga flow around 9pm. After doing yoga so many days, I am actually feeling a lot less tight in my hips and shoulders. I might be on to something here!

Have you just been doing random videos or following something specific? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It was a great challenge! And lots of food inspiration :D 

Have you just been doing random videos or following something specific? 

Thanks!

I have just been picking random videos :) 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:08 PM, miss_marissa said:

5) Read

This was a useful addition. Even though the goal was only 1 page, I think I read only 1 page, just once over the challenge. Most days I read at least a full comic, and some days many more. Will keep/continue this.

Sneakyyy. :D 

• Like 1

What a win of a challenge, from reading it! I really liked digital minimalism, even if I would benefit from revisiting the core concepts of it and "Deep Work" as more distractions have crept into my day-to-day life in quarantine.

18 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

What a win of a challenge, from reading it! I really liked digital minimalism, even if I would benefit from revisiting the core concepts of it and "Deep Work" as more distractions have crept into my day-to-day life in quarantine.

Thanks!!

Yea, I finished it Friday night. I think overall I liked and agreed with the concepts, but didn't find the book itself very enjoyable. The descriptions of Deep Work within the book, made me believe I might be in more need of that than digital minimalism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

Thanks!!

Yea, I finished it Friday night. I think overall I liked and agreed with the concepts, but didn't find the book itself very enjoyable. The descriptions of Deep Work within the book, made me believe I might be in more need of that than digital minimalism.

I think that's very, very fair. I enjoy Cal's writing style, but I think that may be because I'm part robot like most Comp Sci professors. But to be honest, I feel like digital minimalism could've been distilled into a blog post and a journaling reflection and I would've gotten about the same amount out of it as reading a full length book.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I think that's very, very fair. I enjoy Cal's writing style, but I think that may be because I'm part robot like most Comp Sci professors. But to be honest, I feel like digital minimalism could've been distilled into a blog post and a journaling reflection and I would've gotten about the same amount out of it as reading a full length book.

That is how I felt as well, but I think simply the fact is was a physical book might make it more actionable for me.

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

But to be honest, I feel like digital minimalism could've been distilled into a blog post and a journaling reflection and I would've gotten about the same amount out of it as reading a full length book.

That's how I feel about most self-help books.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's how I feel about most self-help books.

Same here. 

Plus, I can never really shake the feeling that if the author genuinely wanted to help people they wouldn't sell this in a book, they're make it available online for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

That is how I felt as well, but I think simply the fact is was a physical book might make it more actionable for me.

That's fair - even if it's repetitive, sometimes just flooding my brain's intake valve with an idea for a while helps it to stick. And books are an easy way to make that happen.

• Like 1