• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scaly Freak

Scalyfreak multi-classes for the first time ever

13 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

The large collection of 3rd edition D&D books that is no longer used for actual gaming, was pleased to be given a purpose again, and my neck is already feeling better. :) 

HEHEHE

Great way to re-purpose!

19 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Beethoven was an unparalleled genius whose music proves there is good in this world when everything seems hopeless.

I may or may not be a huge fan. :) 

Fully 100% agree. What are some of your other fave classical composers and works? I rarely get the chance to talk classical music with anyone and I LOVE IT!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, starsapart said:

Fully 100% agree. What are some of your other fave classical composers and works? I rarely get the chance to talk classical music with anyone and I LOVE IT!

Bach, Mozart, Grieg, in no particular order. :) 

I love listening to either Mozart or Bach and try to pick out all the separate tunes they weaved together into a single piece of music. Bach's cello sonatas are out of this world beautiful and I could listen to them forever.

Grieg I enjoy for almost the same reasons as Beethoven. They both have an uncanny ability to convey so much emotion in their music, and most of them unfailingly end with feeling good and happy, and that makes me happy when I listen to them.

Here is some Peer Gynt:

• Like 1

I used to play Cello and enjoyed the music videos! Keep those coming!!!!!! :)   btw... this Beethoven Conductor is so damn CUTE!!!  * shuffles away slightly embarrassed *

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fearless 2.0 said:

btw... this Beethoven Conductor is so damn CUTE!!!  *

Haha, I thought so too. :)

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Bach, Mozart, Grieg, in no particular order. :) 

Ohh, I didn't know of Grieg by name, thanks! By the way, I was fangirling over your musical choices in my previous challenge thread, I had found one of your old music focused challenges. (NF wouldn't let me tag you and I forgot to try again.)

I'll invite myself to the discussion, even though I don't think I can contribute as much beyond "ohhh I like how this sounds, and this makes me feel something" :) And I constantly have to look for the right terms. I only know it's a piece, not a song haha

I have Bach in my three fave too, always, the other two change a lot through the years. Currently the other two are Tchaikovsky and Beethoven (or Debussy? Hmmmm). 

I like Mozart too, but I've only recently started actually appreciating composers with pieces that are usually played with violin as the lead instruments :) 

Here is a piece by Brahms with Hilary Hahn as the lead 

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

Ohh, I didn't know of Grieg by name, thanks! By the way, I was fangirling over your musical choices in my previous challenge thread, I had found one of your old music focused challenges. (NF wouldn't let me tag you and I forgot to try again.)

Intermission III, I assume? That was a very enjoyable thread to create... more than once I got side-tracked looking for music on YouTube, finally found something, only to realize I'd been lost listening for hours. :) 

32 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

I'll invite myself to the discussion, even though I don't think I can contribute as much beyond "ohhh I like how this sounds, and this makes me feel something" 

That's the whole point of music though. If listening to it brings us pleasure and/or joy, everything else is secondary and we are now qualified to talk about it with others who feel the same way.

Here, I'll trade you Mozart's violin concertos. All of them... :) 

• Like 1

I like all of your choices! I will forever be a Mozart fangirl. I grew up wanting to sing the Queen of the Night (am not a coloratura so I never did get that high F, but I've sung some of Pamina's arias). I also adore Chopin and Puccini and Tchaikovsky.

That said, I'd like to offer a few maybe less-known pieces to the compilation! I've always been a fan of Czech composers... but staying away from the more well-known Dvořák (though I do love him), here's a lovely piece by Bedřich Smetana that I find extremely enjoyable and soothing:

And how about Mussorgsky? Pictures at an Exhibition is such a fun piece. The original piano version is great, but I enjoy Ravel's orchestral arrangement quite a lot as well:

I'd also love to offer a couple of neoclassical choral pieces to the compilation because I truly love the music of these two contemporary composers.

Eric Whitacre:

This reminds me to get my shit together and actually record a track for his next virtual choir.

Also, Ola Gjello:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, starsapart said:

And how about Mussorgsky? Pictures at an Exhibition is such a fun piece. The original piano version is great, but I enjoy Ravel's orchestral arrangement quite a lot as well

This is a good example of a piece I enjoyed playing more than I enjoy listening to it. ;) (I was in the cello section back in my lost youth when I was a cello player.) 

And now I have an urge to hunt down whole a bunch  of Smetana, because I recognized that piece immediately as a forgotten favorite of mine.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

And now I have an urge to hunt down whole a bunch of Smetana

Here you go

arla-koket-smetana-42pct-200-ml_2001151606.png.a88ee418e327c6c52f45ee3bac8a4b43.png

• Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

I was at an American Academy of Religion Regional conference and one of the papers submitted was about how Hitler liked Wagner and Karl Barth (a theologian belonging to the church that opposed Hitler) liked Mozart, and wasn't Barth nice like Mozart was nice while Hitler was mean like Wagner was mean?

Seriously, while it was dressed up fancier than that it was the point of the paper.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I was at an American Academy of Religion Regional conference and one of the papers submitted was about how Hitler liked Wagner and Karl Barth (a theologian belonging to the church that opposed Hitler) liked Mozart, and wasn't Barth nice like Mozart was nice while Hitler was mean like Wagner was mean?

Seriously, while it was dressed up fancier than that it was the point of the paper.

What did the paper conclude about people who like Slipnot...?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Now listen, I wouldn't say that Mozart was nice (he was kind of awful) but to give some credence to the Hitler/Wagner connection, Wagner was a pretty outspoken anti-Semite and espoused quite a few racist views in his writing and it was gross.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, starsapart said:

to give some credence to the Hitler/Wagner connection, Wagner was a pretty outspoken anti-Semite and espoused quite a few racist views in his writing and it was gross.

His music isn't all that fantastic either ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Scalyfreak said:

His music isn't all that fantastic either ;) 

AGREED. Thankfully, I never had the particular kind of sound it takes to be a proper Wagnerian soprano, so I could just handily avoid it all through my education and will happily avoid it for the rest of time as well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

What did the paper conclude about people who like Slipnot...?

Believe it or not the writer neglected to disclose that information.

49 minutes ago, starsapart said:

Now listen, I wouldn't say that Mozart was nice (he was kind of awful) but to give some credence to the Hitler/Wagner connection, Wagner was a pretty outspoken anti-Semite and espoused quite a few racist views in his writing and it was gross.

Oh, I'm not saying the presenter was wrong in seeing parallels between Hitler and Wagner, just that the parallels were obvious enough not to warrant a whole paper on them. Basically everything more than what I posted above was simply fluff.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Basically everything more than what I posted above was simply fluff.

Heyyy, it is hard to pick good paper topics for some people :D (I am sure there were a bunch of better ones though.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Heyyy, it is hard to pick good paper topics for some people :D (I am sure there were a bunch of better ones though.)

I thought mine suggesting Christian Theology in East Asia could be viewed through the lens of Confucius the way Christian Theology in Europe was viewed through the lens of Plato had merit.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I thought mine suggesting Christian Theology in East Asia could be viewed through the lens of Confucius the way Christian Theology in Europe was viewed through the lens of Plato had merit.  

Where is this paper? I want to read this.

10 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

This. I have been looking for resources about which philosophers the apostles might have been reading but your paper sounds like such a good read too!

EDIT: So far I only found a Quora thread about what the Greeks thought about resurrection haha 

17 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Oh man, I don't even know if I still have a copy somewhere. As with the other paper I mentioned (we might have even been one after the other) everything beyond the thesis was largely fluff. I didn't actually go into how to reimagine theology in light of Confucius.

11 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

This. I have been looking for resources about which philosophers the apostles might have been reading but your paper sounds like such a good read too!

EDIT: So far I only found a Quora thread about what the Greeks thought about resurrection haha 

This was actually an exam question in my systematic theology class in Seminary. The early Christian leaders, specifically Tertullian, thought philosophy was bad pagan idolatry and should be avoided. Justin Martyr was favorable towards philosophy. Some argued that what in Philosophy agreed with the Bible was good. Others argued that Greek Philosophy was a type of "Old Testament" for the Greeks. By the time of Augustine, neo-platonism was all the rage, and due to Augustine's influence Platonic thought is all throughout Western (think Roman Catholic parts of Europe) theology. Ireneaus was more influential in Eastern (Think the Orthodox Christian Churches) theology, so Plato isn't as big of a deal.

• Thanks 1

Goal progress report for the first two days:

Happy Body

Did yoga on Sunday, and on Tuesday afternoon. Monday lunch break and Tuesday lunch break were spent walking around the neighborhood with Happy Sidekick

Happy Mind

Meditating for 15-20 minutes per morning has happened every morning so far.

To the meditation goal, I am adding German lessons in Duolingo every day. The brain likes learning and challenges, and this helps with mental health as well.

Happy Soul

Morning routine happened both Monday and Tuesday. End-of-Day routine did as well. I've also socialized a lot on these forums, and reached out to old friends to smack talk them about our last poker night as well.

Editing to add Pavarotti. We lost a piece of magic when he departed this realm.

• Like 4

I'm late to this discussion but this is hands down my favorite piece of music of all time

It just makes me feel happy whenever I hear it

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

and reached out to old friends to smack talk them about our last poker night as well.

👌 if you don't smack talk them about it, then what are friends for?

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

We lost a piece of magic when he departed this realm.

Ohhh. Indeed. ^_^

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The early Christian leaders, specifically Tertullian, thought philosophy was bad pagan idolatry and should be avoided.

Hm hm. Still think a lot of what I have read in the bible has been said before. I highly doubt they actually avoided it all. (That's my hypothesis.) And not just "in order to be able to argue with the philosophers, because you have to know what you are arguing about" but to actually put it in practice.

Spoiler

I have only ever read bible texts *along side* other readings.

And with the exception of e.g. the constantly making the point to the reader that "Iesu did as was written" (that he indeed is, the messiah), what is written in the texts works just swell alongside reading about what Greek (and Roman influenced by the Greek) philosophers had to say about character, and being virtuous.

Maybe that was with similar reasons as why the Christian holidays coincide with pagan ones? To make the transition to monotheism smoother?

EDIT: just remembered, there is this Dutch tale about a girl that gets "seduced" by the Devil by telling her he would teach her about the Seven Sciences (mathematics, retorics etc.) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariken_van_Nieumeghen 

Many years later, learnt et all, she sees a play about a bible happening and is saved and goes on to live a more modest life. So science and philosophy are bad? I think it is more like "we are going to keep this knowledge to ourselves..."

EDIT: but if the churches are so adament about the leaders Rejecting philosophy then I guess it's unlikely I will find this info in theological databases? (I recently discovered I can access that part of the uni database as well!) I will try and see where that leads me :)

And yeah, the Orthodox Church has always been - imo - closer to the people. Makes sense they'd be more okay with a philosopher. They played a great roll in conserving culture & language. Without it, that side of Europe might have been speaking Arabic (because the Ottoman Empire imposed the sharia in that area).

EDIT: Not saying that's better or worse, merely observing. In the 70-80s people still treated pastors with the same reverance as doctors in the West. In the East, the connection was still with respect between the holy and the regular people but it was much warmer. (Though I guess, warmer countries always have connections being warmer so that might also play a role... Hmm )

(This is my superficial knowledge on the topic btw. Planning to spend more time learning about my roots in the summer vacation.)

Anyway, much thanks for the pointers! This gives me something to go on. OKAY I did not think I would write such a long story when I first replied haha. Putting it in a spoiler :) 

Morning routine completely shot to pieces from a combination of missing a part of the end-of-day routine yesterday and abysmally bad sleep. This day is not off to a good start.

• Sad 3