• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scaly Freak

Scalyfreak multi-classes for the first time ever

Just now, Scalyfreak said:

Morning routine completely shot to pieces from a combination of missing a part of the end-of-day routine yesterday and abysmally bad sleep. This day is not off to a good start.

😖 Hope things get better.

10 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Meditating for 15-20 minutes per morning has happened every morning so far.

To the meditation goal, I am adding German lessons in Duolingo every day. The brain likes learning and challenges, and this helps with mental health as well.

Yay! Vielleicht kann ich mit dir mein ziemlich schlechtes geschriebenes Deutsch ueben. 

22 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Morning routine completely shot to pieces from a combination of missing a part of the end-of-day routine yesterday and abysmally bad sleep. This day is not off to a good start.

Bad sleep ruins everything it touches.

• Like 1

Oh no, hope you get some good sleep tonight!

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yay! Vielleicht kann ich mit dir mein ziemlich schlechtes geschriebenes Deutsch ueben. 

Look at that, I still remember something!

• Like 1

I realized I didn't answer your question about philosophy the way you asked it. You asked about the apostles and I answered about the successors to the apostles. The people who are actually depicted in the Christian Scriptures as apostles and wrote books of the New Testament did have some philosophical leanings that can be gleaned from reading the scriptures themselves. Whoever wrote Hebrews (and it wasn't Paul) was well versed in Alexandrian Rhetoric; it follows that structure. As for Paul himself, he was acquainted with Stoicism for sure, Romans 8:28 was a rewriting of a Stoic Idea. He was probably familiar too with cynicism, as it was common at the time. The apostles who grew up in Palestine and actually followed Jesus during his life (Saul was from Asia Minor and joined after the resurrection) were likely not very formally educated, with the possible exception of John who may have been upper class and had connections to the High Priest at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I realized I didn't answer your question about philosophy the way you asked it.

No problem. Now I have more info to go on! :) It's just one of those questions that come up when I am reading something. I write them down as side projects but the terminology isn't clear in my mind so I cannot ask questions/know exactly how to phrase it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ja, vielleicht. :) 

About half an hour ago, I discovered that Happy Sidekick decided to chew a part of my plant to pieces. She's ignored it every single day since I started working from home eight weeks ago, and today of all days, she decides it's a salad and she needs to eat it. 

Is it evening yet? I want to go home and have this day be over now.

Note to self: During lunch break, request hugs.

• Like 4

Hugs ()()()()

I've been protecting my plants from the cat who likes to chew on them because they are right next to my at-home desk. Once the weather gets warm enough they get to enjoy cat-free sunlight on the porch.

I hope you get to relax this evening and get good sleep tonight.

We're just going to write this entire day off as a completely lost cause and put it behind us.

One of the things that went wrong this morning was that I genuinely didn't have time to meditate. I could have made time for it, but I had an 8 AM meeting, that I'm hosting, that I had to get to. Then there was the plant incident. Then there was the broken process incident. Then it rained on my lunch break so I couldn't go on a walk. Then the book club I've been having with a group of co-workers got rescheduled for next week, and half way through the afternoon I said "screw this" and zoned out of a conference call to go post on the D&D discord. Since I was doing that on my phone (I will do these forums, but no other personal computing on the work computer) it was frustrating and annoying and that will probably not be a repeat effort. And then I had to start paying attention to the call again and that was that.

I tried meditating in the afternoon but doing that in the work space just felt off and failed. I did look up Tara Brach that @fearless 2.0 mentioned in their thread, and recognized the photo immediately as Tara comes up in the mindfulness meditation category quite a bit. I will explore Tara's guided meditations later this week.

Work productivity never recovered from the destroyed morning routine, and I spent far too much time on the forums in the afternoon. On the plus side that gave me a chance to listen to the Brandenburg concerto @WhiteGhost posted, and that really made me feel a lot better. And the night mouth guard against teeth grinding that I ordered last week has been delivered (many thanks to @Tanktimus the Encourager for pointing me in the right direction), so I'll be able to fit it tonight and hopefully sleep better now.

Still.

Today is a lost cause. I vented the above after work and was given lots of unprovoked hugs, which helped. So now I'm going to relax, forget that today was not a good day, and when I wake up tomorrow morning, we will start over.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Today is a lost cause. I vented the above after work and was given lots of unprovoked hugs, which helped. So now I'm going to relax, forget that today was not a good day, and when I wake up tomorrow morning, we will start over.

I'm sorry today wasn't a good day, hope tomorrow is better!

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

that gave me a chance to listen to the Brandenburg concerto @WhiteGhost posted, and that really made me feel a lot better

That one always helps me, as does this one

Aw man you did great on that terrible day! I really hope you got amazing sleep last night and things don’t conspire against you quite that much today. Just one thing maybe, a thing that is very easy to deal with, just for the accomplished feeling ;) xp grinding you know. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope your night guard helps and tomorrow is better.

I'm sure it would have, if I had remembered to fit it last night. Instead I fell asleep while we watched movies. Ooops.

I did sleep better last night though, and felt considerably better this morning. The night guard has been placed next to the coffee pot, so it will not be forgotten again.

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That one always helps me, as does this one

I like this one! The opening movement (Mars, I think?) for some reason reminds me of Also Sprach Zarathustra... 

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Aw man you did great on that terrible day! I really hope you got amazing sleep last night and things don’t conspire against you quite that much today. Just one thing maybe, a thing that is very easy to deal with, just for the accomplished feeling ;) xp grinding you know. 

I'm actually spending this entire morning doing only follow-up tasks, specifically because they are easier but they still feel like I'm getting things done and I feel good when I see them checked off and eventually removed from the ToDo list. :) 

• Like 3

My night guard has done so much for jaw tension for me! Hope it's good for you. 😊

Glad you got a bit more rest and generally feel better equipped to take on a new day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Work productivity never recovered from the destroyed morning routine, and I spent far too much time on the forums in the afternoon.

It happens.

17 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

This is perfect, though. It's so easy for our mood, concentration and motivation to get thrown off, and struggling to get back on track right in that moment is hard and not super productive, so I guess the best tactic is to take a short break then get back on track as soon as one is feeling refreshed. I hope today is shiny and promising for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Also Sprach Zarathustra... 

!!! I thought it sounded familiar. Although I might have found the Planets before now that I think about it. It seems like it might be something that pops up in the YT algorhythm often. :) It's got that Four Seasons idea. (Oh yeah, I totally know what I am talking about :D )

I did sleep better last night though

spending this entire morning doing only follow-up tasks,

Adapting and conquering :)

Found you by accident! This is not where I was expecting you to be, but it seems like a good place for you right now. Hoping for an uber successful challenge - mental health is the foundation of all health.

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

This is perfect, though. It's so easy for our mood, concentration and motivation to get thrown off, and struggling to get back on track right in that moment is hard and not super productive, so I guess the best tactic is to take a short break then get back on track as soon as one is feeling refreshed. I hope today is shiny and promising for you.

One of the things I'm most proud of learning to do since I joined here, is to take a short break and put the bad day behind me. They used to derail the entire week for me, at a minimum, and now they don't anymore. It's actually pretty cool

3 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Found you by accident! This is not where I was expecting you to be, but it seems like a good place for you right now. Hoping for an uber successful challenge - mental health is the foundation of all health.

I didn't expect to be here either, but meditation and yoga is exactly what I need now. I feel like my mind is calming down a bit already... though getting rid of the Anti-Ergonomic Desk Setup of Torture has definitely helped!

Challenge updates! :) 

Happy Body

It rained again, so no walking has been done. Yoga will happen shortly after this post.

Happy Mind

Meditated for 20 minutes this morning. German in Duolingo was done right after work.

Happy Soul

I managed to do some of the morning routine out of order, but it was all done. The End-of-day routine was shortened just a little bit, but that's okay,because it's yoga night. Forums happened. Reaching out to family happened.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

One of the things I'm most proud of learning to do since I joined here, is to take a short break and put the bad day behind me. They used to derail the entire week for me, at a minimum, and now they don't anymore. It's actually pretty cool

That's an awesome level up. 

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

Meditated for 20 minutes this morning. German in Duolingo was done right after work.

Wie ist dein Deutsche, eigentlich? Ich habe immer noch schwierigkeiten mit Grammatik.

24 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Wie ist dein Deutsche, eigentlich? Ich habe immer noch schwierigkeiten mit Grammatik.

Not even going to try to do this in German! :D  

But I'm pretty sure I understood the question... and German grammar has a lot of concepts and rules in common with Swedish. It also helps that the Swedish language was heavily influenced by German during the Hansa era, so a lot of the weird spelling and several of the words are similar enough to make it a bit easier for me. That doesn't mean it is easy though. I'm still very much at the beginner level.

For example, what Germans describe as "schwerigkeither mit Grammatik" a Swede calls "svårigheter med grammatiken", so I can puzzle my way through written German much easier than I can hold conversations.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Not even going to try to do this in German! :D  

But I'm pretty sure I understood the question... and German grammar has a lot of concepts and rules in common with Swedish. It also helps that the Swedish language was heavily influenced by German during the Hansa era, so a lot of the weird spelling and several of the words are similar enough to make it a bit easier for me. That doesn't mean it is easy though. I'm still very much at the beginner level.

For example, what Germans describe as "schwerigkeither mit Grammatik" a Swede calls "svårigheter med grammatiken", so I can puzzle my way through written German much easier than I can hold conversations.

Ah. I was wondering if I might have someone to practice with. That Swedish does look very similar. I love the little bubbles above letters. Can you tell me what "stalfagel" is? But with bubbles above both the As? It is the name of a Soilwork track and google translate says it's a stable bird, but I don't think that fits. (Did I mention I am slightly envious that you come from the land of melodic death metal?)

• Like 1

"Fågel" is a bird. "Stål" is that beautiful shiny metal we make swords with. So it's a steel bird, or bird of steel, or whatever fits best into the context. :)

Give me another couple of weeks, and I will probably be able to hold simple conversations about food. Duolingo has a narrow focus on eating and edible things, so far.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1