• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sylph

sylph brain dumps

So, this weekend we are renting a van and doing a crazy, marathon drive to go back and get all the stuff left in our storage unit and bring it back here for safekeeping in our FL storage unit. My parents will pop in and look in on/feed the cats while we're gone and then ALL of our stuff will be located in a single state. And we will be exhausted again.

But then we'll be able to be 'done' until we start looking for a new house and we can HOPEFULLY try to determine some way to get back into some semblance of a fitness routine. Gyms here are open, including our apt complex gym, so maybe we can figure out a way to do that safely. Or we do some walking or Darebee or SOMETHING so we can have some planned and purposeful exercise rather than frantic activity followed by vegetation on the couch. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Hope you survived the marathon drive!

I can really imagine the culture shock.. it's nice that gyms are open though ;)

On 5/28/2020 at 3:23 PM, sylph said:

So, this weekend we are renting a van and doing a crazy, marathon drive to go back and get all the stuff left in our storage unit and bring it back here for safekeeping in our FL storage unit. My parents will pop in and look in on/feed the cats while we're gone and then ALL of our stuff will be located in a single state. And we will be exhausted again.

Whew! Hope it went well! 

Marathon drive complete. It had the added benefit (?) of keeping us ignorant of current events until we got back. On our way back through Kentucky, we saw a bunch of state troopers all lined up on the road, but didn't have any context for why. Now it all makes more sense. Here in our county in FL there was a curfew Sunday and Monday nights (Fortunately we made it home Sunday early enough that our ignorance didn't get us caught up in any unknowing disruption of that). Not sure if that's going to be extended into tonight or not. The sheriff here seems to be a bit of a plain-speaking straight-talker, from what I've read of him so far, so we'll see how that goes.

That aside, I'm attempting to go on with life as best I can while in the midst of all of this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trip to get all of our stuff was pretty uneventful. Drove essentially straight through on the way up starting on Friday afternoon around 3.30 (stopped at a rest stop for a 2 hr nap in the back of the giant rented cargo van around 2a Saturday morning. Worked really well). Went directly to our storage unit and loaded up all our stuff. Drove about 5 hours back south, slept at a hotel Saturday and made it the rest of the way home on Sunday. Dropped lots of stuff at our storage unit here in FL on Monday morning (and sweated our assess off as it was 90 degrees by 10.30a, wow) and got the van returned by noon on Monday.

The rental van was a bone simple cargo variety so no bluetooth, no audiobooks, no entertainment of any kind. Hubs and I wound up entertaining ourselves with conversation, ranging over wide topics (36-40 hours of driving will do that for you) and kept the pace going pretty well most of the time. When/where to buy a house, how to meet people in FL where we don't really have a social network and neither of us will have local colleagues plus COVID, stories from our childhoods, some aspects of our individual philosophies on religion that we hadn't touched on in the previous 12 years of our marriage, etc. It was pretty good, really.

We realized we're both starving for a bit of human interaction (aside from each other, hah!). Making friends as an adult is difficult enough, much less uprooting your entire social support system and relocating in the middle of a pandemic. We're both pretty private people by nature which adds another level of difficulty and neither of us are super-outgoing extroverts. It's going to be an interesting challenge. I need a "do you want to be our BFF" app ;)

With the state starting to reopen here, we're going to have to take a hard look at what we're comfortable doing vs. what's possible to do and how we can start to integrate into the community down here. Our apt complex pool is open (with social distancing and total # of people limited) so maybe that could be a relatively safe (outdoor!) way to start to figure out who lives here and what folks are like.

• Like 2

One thing that we talked about was the danger of slipping into old habits. We've moved states and are completely unattached. It's like going to college--no one knows us and it's an opportunity to entirely re-invent ourselves and do new things. That's going to be hard, but it's either that or be completely socially isolated in our new state forever. This is going to take some focused work.

• Like 1

Success on the moving front, yay! As for the rest, I wish you the best of luck.

43 minutes ago, sylph said:

I need a "do you want to be our BFF" app ;)

Bumble does have Bumble BFF as an offering... 😋

While 40 hours in the car sounds kind of horrible, the chance for long conversation is rather lovely :) 

I’ve been lucky with making friends, a shared hobby that gives you shared experiences usually works.

21 hours ago, starsapart said:

Success on the moving front, yay! As for the rest, I wish you the best of luck.

Bumble does have Bumble BFF as an offering... 😋

There are a couple of other apps out there that I'm investigating as well. Making sure they're about making friends and not hooking up is apparently a thing. Hubs and I aren't looking for swinging partners or anything.

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

While 40 hours in the car sounds kind of horrible, the chance for long conversation is rather lovely :) 

I’ve been lucky with making friends, a shared hobby that gives you shared experiences usually works.

It was kind of great, actually, despite the huge amount of tiredness and sleep debt that we built up. We take long road trips at least once a year (or did, pre-COVID) and it's usually a great opportunity to have some in-depth conversations. This was like that, just more since usually we have an audiobook and/or attractions/stops that we plan in between.

I was just getting to the point with circus back in MI that I was comfortable asking folks out for a beer or to grab dinner after class. Now, with both shoulder complaints and COVID and moving across the country, I need to start all of that over again. I've been cruising around meetup.com for groups in the area that do appropriately social distanced things and also are things that I'm interested in. I'll figure it out, it'll just take some time.

• Like 2

Yesterday we made some room in our bedroom for the adjustable dumbbells/stand. Having them handy will at least let us have some sort of lifting capability (they go up to ~50 lbs, so adequate for me for most things, a bit less of a challenge for hubs, but better than nothing). We've also taken to a daily afternoon walk around the apartment complex to get outside, get moving a bit (and for practical purposes to get the mail). Better than nothing! Maybe eventually we'll become familiar faces to our neighbors at least.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sylph said:

We take long road trips at least once a year (or did, pre-COVID) and it's usually a great opportunity to have some in-depth conversations. This was like that, just more since usually we have an audiobook and/or attractions/stops that we plan in between.

This was my parents' jam.  Their absolute favorite thing to do was jump in the car and just cruise, talk and listen to music/radio books.  When they moved to Hawaii there wasn't enough road so they got on the Kamehameha and drove around the island a bunch of times :D 

Aw, glad you guys made the best of the long drives. 

22 hours ago, sylph said:

I was just getting to the point with circus back in MI that I was comfortable asking folks out for a beer or to grab dinner after class. Now, with both shoulder complaints and COVID and moving across the country, I need to start all of that over again. I've been cruising around meetup.com for groups in the area that do appropriately social distanced things and also are things that I'm interested in. I'll figure it out, it'll just take some time.

Definitely takes time, but finding people who enjoy similar things as you do is always a good start. :)

22 hours ago, sylph said:

Yesterday we made some room in our bedroom for the adjustable dumbbells/stand. Having them handy will at least let us have some sort of lifting capability (they go up to ~50 lbs, so adequate for me for most things, a bit less of a challenge for hubs, but better than nothing). We've also taken to a daily afternoon walk around the apartment complex to get outside, get moving a bit (and for practical purposes to get the mail). Better than nothing! Maybe eventually we'll become familiar faces to our neighbors at least.

Excellent, excellent. 

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This was my parents' jam.  Their absolute favorite thing to do was jump in the car and just cruise, talk and listen to music/radio books.  When they moved to Hawaii there wasn't enough road so they got on the Kamehameha and drove around the island a bunch of times :D 

This sounds like something we would do, actually...

4 hours ago, raptron said:

Definitely takes time, but finding people who enjoy similar things as you do is always a good start. :)

If I could find some local video game-playing, beer-drinking, fitness-savvy ladies, I'd be all set.

I pinged a local CrossFit box this afternoon to see what their COVID safety protocols are. CF folks always seem to be highly social. Maybe I'll become a ranger. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sylph said:

If I could find some local video game-playing, beer-drinking, fitness-savvy ladies, I'd be all set.

Should’ve moved to Boston. 😜

32 minutes ago, sylph said:

I pinged a local CrossFit box this afternoon to see what their COVID safety protocols are. CF folks always seem to be highly social. Maybe I'll become a ranger. ;)

Shock! Horror! Nah sounds like a good idea if you find a nice place. And your a smart lady and know when to opt out of the dumb side of CF.

52 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Should’ve moved to Boston. 😜

Shock! Horror! Nah sounds like a good idea if you find a nice place. And your a smart lady and know when to opt out of the dumb side of CF.

Right!? Hey @raptron do you have any friends near Orlando? ;)

Seems like a good place, though hard to tell via the internet.

Though of course, FL reported a HUGE number of COVID cases today, so perhaps now is not the time to relax my defenses. Useful to keep it on file for future reference, though.

• Like 1

As a "something, ANYTHING" kind of thing to do, I've started on the darebee Hero's Journey--60 days of someone telling me what to do? Seems simple enough. Not going to get too fussed on whether I make it consecutive days or whatever, but it at least gives me some kind of focused thing to do.

It'll give me some thing to focus next challenge around, as a bonus.

Unrelated, I made this Cobb Egg Salad (minus the chives) yesterday and can heartily recommend. 

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19484613/cobb-egg-salad-recipe/

• Like 1

Day four of Hero's Journey in the books.

Yesterday I made this (an old favorite, rather than a new recipe):

https://www.budgetbytes.com/southwest-beef-cabbage-stir-fry/

So fast, so easy, especially since I use bagged coleslaw mix instead of shredding the cabbage myself (as a bonus, it looks prettier, with green and purple cabbage as well as the addition of some carrot. Winning)

Chatted with one of the coaches at the local crossfit box on the phone. Seems like they are doing everything they can (disinfecting, social distancing, limited class sizes, etc.) to ensure that folks are safe in the time of COVID. I'm not sure whether my own brain is comfortable with it at the moment especially since here in FL cases seem to be spiking again post-Memorial Day. Maybe I'll give it a month or so and see how things feel then. Dude seemed super on top of it and completely understanding to my concerns, though, so that was good. They've modified their workouts to be a sort of circuit to get people in and out, only be 30 minutes long and removed lots of the technical lifts to make sure any coaching can be done from a distance while maximizing safety. Seems like a pretty smart set up, really. No idea how much they cost--they are CrossFit, so chances are it ain't cheap.

• Like 1

As new daily COVID cases continue to rise in FL, I'm beginning to despair of ever feeling comfortable going out in public ever again.

• Sad 3

Just try to remember that nothing is permanent. At least for me it helps a lot with getting through the rough times.

2 hours ago, sylph said:

As new daily COVID cases continue to rise in FL, I'm beginning to despair of ever feeling comfortable going out in public ever again.

I've basically talked myself into accepting that this entire year is fully a wash. It made me feel terrible at first, but now that I've sat with the idea a while, it's starting to feel "normal" enough that I've stopped stressing or counting down. I'm just pushing every thought of normalcy off until 2021, and weirdly this has helped me be a lot less anxious in the day to day right now. I don't know if that's helpful or depressing...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Just try to remember that nothing is permanent. At least for me it helps a lot with getting through the rough times.

Hubs and I have been telling ourselves that for 2+ years, ever since we started trying to move. We've moved, and now we're not even 'done' because of the world and its problems. It's exhausting, honestly. I do appreciate the thought, though. After 2 years, what's another few months?

2 minutes ago, starsapart said:

I've basically talked myself into accepting that this entire year is fully a wash. It made me feel terrible at first, but now that I've sat with the idea a while, it's starting to feel "normal" enough that I've stopped stressing or counting down. I'm just pushing every thought of normalcy off until 2021, and weirdly this has helped me be a lot less anxious in the day to day right now. I don't know if that's helpful or depressing...

heh, maybe both? I mean 2020 is a giant dumpster fire already, we're only halfway through and we haven't even gotten to the election and whatever shtshow fallout will come from that. Maybe writing it off entirely isn't such a bad plan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sylph said:

heh, maybe both? I mean 2020 is a giant dumpster fire already, we're only halfway through and we haven't even gotten to the election and whatever shtshow fallout will come from that. Maybe writing it off entirely isn't such a bad plan.

tenor.gif

In all honestly, people are acting like COVID is done because they're tired of it, I guess, but it's NOT done, and the protests aren't even close to done, and then there's the election to worry about, and and and...

Yeah, Sitting out 2020 at home seems like the only viable option to me anymore. From a COVID perspective alone, I'm planning to be in this house until we have a vaccine, and that's not going to magically appear this summer so... eff off, 2020, I didn't want to be your friend anyway, NYEH.

Got a walk in this morning--it was nice at 7.15ish. Not too warm yet, not terribly humid. Got a couple laps around the apartment complex and listened to an audiobook I have on loan from the library.

Have been intermittently getting some work done today. Snuck in a workout (day 5 of darebee Hero's Journey), got another quick walk up and around to get the mail this afternoon and started the claims process for the stuff that is damaged/missing from our movers. Fun times, but at least it's Friday.

I want to try to bake the Peanut Butter Bread reddit was freaking out over a few weeks back, but don't have any baking powder. :( I threw ours out when we left Michigan since it was old, and there has been none on the shelves in the grocery store since we got down here. So weird. Other than that, I need to clean and do laundry this weekend. If the weather's nice, maybe hubs and I can get out to a local park and walk somewhere that isn't the inside of our complex. Who knows. Our pool is open here, but neither of us really feel comfortable doing that, yet...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, starsapart said:

From a COVID perspective alone, I'm planning to be in this house until we have a vaccine, and that's not going to magically appear this summer so... eff off, 2020, I didn't want to be your friend anyway, NYEH.

For realz.

Puts a huge damper on our house-buying timeline, but maybe it's smarter to wait and see what the market does anyway. Dunno. I just want to be holed up in our OWN place where we're not right on top of a bunch of people and we can go sit by our own pool and not have to worry about whether the person who sat in the lounge chair 20 minutes ago just coughed all over everything. *sigh*

• Like 1

Oh hey--challenge ends tomorrow.

Maybe I'll have an actual structure to an actual challenge for the next one rather than just rambling stream-of-consciousness stuff.

• Like 1