• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Kuniko

Am I really weird? Is this a crazy breakfast?

Recommended Posts

I use frozen vegetables In my smoothie. People have told me that its crazy, but I cant really see why.. 

When I am on track with my diet I usually make myself a huge smoothie In the morning and fill up about two 1litre bottles. 

The smoothie is made of : one 500g bag of frozen veggies (usually the one with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)

Half a cucumber 

Some ginger

20g chia seeds

Half a avocado 

 

It fills me up untill lunch, and if not I have some almonds as well. I make it really watery and also add some sugar free like water addetive? I think its called squash? I also prep the chia the night before so they are rly soaked. 

Its the one thing I have always managed to stick to when it comes to "healthy stuff", and i really enjoy it, but as mentioned it always gets alot of unwanted attention. I dont really mind, but im interested to hear what you guys think about it. I promise its not gross! I sometimes add lemon as well, like an entire lemon. And recently i have been wanting to buy clear whey protein to add as well. 

 

Anyway, hope I dont gross anyone out and i really want to hear your thoughts! :)

 

  • Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are crazy, stop it immediately and go back to normal and have cereal like everybody else.😉😁Actually, if it works for you that is fantastic. I've heard of people putting cucumber, avocado and chia in smoothies but never frozen vegetables. Sounds like a good way to get a lot of veggies in. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kuniko said:

I use frozen vegetables In my smoothie. People have told me that its crazy, but I cant really see why.. 

When I am on track with my diet I usually make myself a huge smoothie In the morning and fill up about two 1litre bottles. 

The smoothie is made of : one 500g bag of frozen veggies (usually the one with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)

Half a cucumber 

Some ginger

20g chia seeds

Half a avocado 

 

It fills me up untill lunch, and if not I have some almonds as well. I make it really watery and also add some sugar free like water addetive? I think its called squash? I also prep the chia the night before so they are rly soaked. 

Its the one thing I have always managed to stick to when it comes to "healthy stuff", and i really enjoy it, but as mentioned it always gets alot of unwanted attention. I dont really mind, but im interested to hear what you guys think about it. I promise its not gross! I sometimes add lemon as well, like an entire lemon. And recently i have been wanting to buy clear whey protein to add as well. 

 

Anyway, hope I dont gross anyone out and i really want to hear your thoughts! :)

 

 

It's different. But you do you. It's surely no one's concern what you eat. If you get unwanted frozen vegetable smoothie attention, may I suggest making aggressive eye contact and growling until all the smoothie-botherers yield and quietly go back to eating their cornflakes?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use steamed carrots, frozen spinach/broccoli/cauliflower, lettuce that needs to be used, avocados, etc. Totally not weird. Genius.

 

Don't forget to chew your smoothies though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think of it as basically a bag of frozen veggies, I can see why it doesn't sound super appealing. I don't think of broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots as being especially flavorful on their own. But avocados are clearly pretty delicious, and I really like ginger. If it ends up being creamy with a slight kick, I could see that being alright.

But in any case, don't let the haters get you down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

You are crazy, stop it immediately and go back to normal and have cereal like everybody else.😉😁Actually, if it works for you that is fantastic. I've heard of people putting cucumber, avocado and chia in smoothies but never frozen vegetables. Sounds like a good way to get a lot of veggies in. 

It started as a trick to get lots of veggies in my diet when I was working as a captain, I didn't really have time before watch to get a good breakfast in, so I just blended it up. Since I was the officer my subortinates (lol) didn't really ask questions. 

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

It's different. But you do you. It's surely no one's concern what you eat. If you get unwanted frozen vegetable smoothie attention, may I suggest making aggressive eye contact and growling until all the smoothie-botherers yield and quietly go back to eating their cornflakes?

I'll try that the next time! I keep offering them a taste, the ones who do taste do say it dosen't taste bad! 

 

11 hours ago, Defining said:

I use steamed carrots, frozen spinach/broccoli/cauliflower, lettuce that needs to be used, avocados, etc. Totally not weird. Genius.

 

Don't forget to chew your smoothies though.

It is genius! I kept trying to google it as well, but I only found like one backwater blogger or something who did it! At one point I thought maybe everyone does it and just never talk about it since its "obvious" or something haha. I do try to remember to chew as well, but I make them really watery so it's hard to remember!

9 hours ago, Mudd said:

If you think of it as basically a bag of frozen veggies, I can see why it doesn't sound super appealing. I don't think of broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots as being especially flavorful on their own. But avocados are clearly pretty delicious, and I really like ginger. If it ends up being creamy with a slight kick, I could see that being alright.

But in any case, don't let the haters get you down.

I understand that they seem unappealing, especially since it looks a bit gross as well. Someone called it "swamp water" hah..

 

Thanks for all the replies! It never really bothered me, but, a bit of a story time. I moved from the capital to a tiny village a year ago, and the whole "swamp water smoothie" got alot of attention again, especially from new coworkers, and one day a random person came up to me at the grocery store (again, in a small village, everyone knows everyone, everyone knows who I am, idk who they are) and asked me about it. She literaly went "Are you ***??? Is it true you blend a whole bag of frozen veggies in your smoothie???" Appearantly my mother in law had talked about it during one of the womens meetings when they discussed diets... So it got alot of attention. Everyone here is hellbent on that a smoothie is made of fruit and berries and thats it. Thats when I thought that it might be completely batshit.. 

BUT! I will now continue my supersmoothie breakfast! I will start a crusade! A year from now EVERYONE in this tiny village will be drinking it! Mark my words! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kuniko said:

Thanks for all the replies! It never really bothered me, but, a bit of a story time. I moved from the capital to a tiny village a year ago, and the whole "swamp water smoothie" got alot of attention again, especially from new coworkers, and one day a random person came up to me at the grocery store (again, in a small village, everyone knows everyone, everyone knows who I am, idk who they are) and asked me about it. She literaly went "Are you ***??? Is it true you blend a whole bag of frozen veggies in your smoothie???" Appearantly my mother in law had talked about it during one of the womens meetings when they discussed diets... So it got alot of attention. Everyone here is hellbent on that a smoothie is made of fruit and berries and thats it. Thats when I thought that it might be completely batshit.. 

That's hilarious! Good for you for shaking up people's world view a bit.😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kuniko said:

The smoothie is made of : one 500g bag of frozen veggies (usually the one with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)

Half a cucumber 

Some ginger

20g chia seeds

Half a avocado 

 

It fills me up untill lunch, and if not I have some almonds as well. I make it really watery and also add some sugar free like water addetive? I think its called squash? I also prep the chia the night before so they are rly soaked. 

Its the one thing I have always managed to stick to when it comes to "healthy stuff", and i really enjoy it, but as mentioned it always gets alot of unwanted attention. I dont really mind, but im interested to hear what you guys think about it. I promise its not gross! I sometimes add lemon as well, like an entire lemon. And recently i have been wanting to buy clear whey protein to add as well. 

 

Actually, that sounds really good! Ginger, chia seeds, and lemon with some milder veggies seems like a great mix of flavors. I'm going to have to try that at some point. 😋

...I have been having vanilla protein powder shakes; I wonder what would happen if I combined them...?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are people who don't put frozen vegetables in smoothies?  But?  It's such an easy way to get veggies.  Yours sounds delicious

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 5:38 PM, Riviera16 said:

 

Actually, that sounds really good! Ginger, chia seeds, and lemon with some milder veggies seems like a great mix of flavors. I'm going to have to try that at some point. 😋

...I have been having vanilla protein powder shakes; I wonder what would happen if I combined them...?

Its really good! I think people get a bit caught up in the veggie part haha, but I put a whole, peeled lemon in and it just taste like lemon, I love lemon! Have to remove the seeds tho, I dont remember why but its either that it can ruin the blender or that the seeds are toxic or something 😬 I have tried chocolate whey in it, but that did not work! So I either add lentils to the shake or have a proteinbar with the smoothie! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chesire said:

There are people who don't put frozen vegetables in smoothies?  But?  It's such an easy way to get veggies.  Yours sounds delicious

Thats what I thought as well! People put spinach, and kale and everything in it! I just didnt want to buy it because it was expensive haha. I sometimes have frozen spinach that I put in, but its these really though frozen spinach cubes so I let them thaw over night. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made lentil "pudding" as a snack too.  lentils cooked in (non-dairy) milk, some fruit, some cocoa powder/baking cocoa and less liquids than usual for a smoothie.  I need to revisit that for healthier treat.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kuniko said:

Its really good! I think people get a bit caught up in the veggie part haha, but I put a whole, peeled lemon in and it just taste like lemon, I love lemon! Have to remove the seeds tho, I dont remember why but its either that it can ruin the blender or that the seeds are toxic or something 😬 I have tried chocolate whey in it, but that did not work! So I either add lentils to the shake or have a proteinbar with the smoothie! 

I love lemon too- it's probably one of my favorite flavors! I've also had some disappointing experiences with chocolate protein of various sorts so these days I stick with vanilla. I find it's a lot more versatile when it comes to adding into other things. Lentils sounds like a good idea; I'm going to make a note of that next time I want a protein add-in!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chesire said:

I've made lentil "pudding" as a snack too.  lentils cooked in (non-dairy) milk, some fruit, some cocoa powder/baking cocoa and less liquids than usual for a smoothie.  I need to revisit that for healthier treat.   

I randomly put lentils into alot of what I make, because they dont really have a taste! It took my bf a year before he asked what they were, he kept finding them in so much of the food I made haha. I haven't tried to make lentil pudding, but I did use them in my porridge! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.